Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proof that I am an idiot

Hi !

Anyone else feel completely a fool when reading proverbs? Most verses tell the opposite that I most often do. Frustrating book to read...

So I guess I am nuts.....
    Eliakim

Yeah.

Try Luke 6:46 sometime...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

No worries brother. The Word serves the very purpose of pointing out our shortcomings and helps us change for the better. We all have done things that are condemned. The important thing is that we learn and adapt from them. I find Proverbs an enjoyable and refreshing book to read...In fact, probably one of my most read books in the Bible. Don't be discouraged...rather seek the Lord's wisdom as the book instructs us to do from the beginning. Blessings on you.
      Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

Yeah, but it's always good to be shown what idiots we are. Nothing like it to keep you from puffing up, huh?

I always wonder about the proverb that says to never answer a fool followed by another one that says to always answer a fool! Do you know which ones I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Eliakim View Post
          Hi !

Anyone else feel completely a fool when reading proverbs? Most verses tell the opposite that I most often do. Frustrating book to read...

Eliakim
          Yeah we are the foolish, praise God!!!

1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
          1Co 1:26 For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;
          1Co 1:27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,
          1Co 1:28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,
          1Co 1:29 so that no man may boast before God.
          1Co 1:30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,
          1Co 1:31 so that, just as it is written, "LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD."

Comment

You are not an idiot. I do know what you are talking about. I like to memorize Scripture and I put them on index cards. One day a friend of mine was looking at them and she noticed that many of them were on the tongue..from Proverbs! yikes! You'd think I would have learned to be quiet!

Proverbs 13:3 "He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction."

Proverbs 15:23 "A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!"

Proverbs 16:23 "The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips."

Proverbs 21:23 "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."

and there are more .....
            .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
            .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Hi !

Eliakim
              No.. when I read Proverbs.. it edifies me and teaches me... gives me strength and courage... and HOPE>>>

Jesus Himself is the Wisdom of God.. and when Reading Proverbs..

its like He is speaking right to me... He is The Book of Proverbs...

Proverbs is Alive thru Him...

He's not there calling me an idiot because of my err..

I don't feel inferior or like a fool.. not one bit..

He edifies and Strengthens you. thru His Word and His Widsom if you are Truly His... He's not there tearing your down.. that's another 'jesus'...

Listen to Paul's Words..

But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption
              Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
              ------------------------------------------------
              Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
              The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
              Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Yes, apart from Christ we are worse than idiots but because of Christ we are accepted in the Beloved...Proverbs withstanding.
                Proverbs is a great book if we remind ourselves that we are robed in His Righteousness, even while Proverbs is revealing our unrighteousness. We are secure in Him.
                ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
                  Yes, apart from Christ we are worse than idiots but because of Christ we are accepted in the Beloved...Proverbs withstanding.
                  Proverbs is a great book if we remind ourselves that we are robed in His Righteousness, even while Proverbs is revealing our unrighteousness. We are secure in Him.

Yep.. you put in shorter words and clearer understanding that I could.. I agree!
                  Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                  Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                  The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                  Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

It's very humbling to read Proverbs.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi !

Eliakim
                      Don't speak those type of words over your life. Remember God created you in His image.

Spend time in scripture you receive blessing from for awhile. Then, before trying books you are not comfortable with, spend time in prayer. Ask God to reveal His message to you from that book. Take your time and don't rush
                      Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Hi !

Eliakim

Sounds to me more like you're just human. To me, the fact you actually read proverbs is a pretty good sign.

Comment

I dunno doesn't proverbs say the fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom? Prov 1:7 Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Everybody has a few flaws that must be smoothed out under the examination of Gods word.

For the cause of Christ.
                          Roger

Comment

Hi !

Eliakim
                            There are spiritual meanings behind the Scripture, even Proverbs has some awesome gems, such as: 'it is God's to hide a matter, kings to find'.

Be a king.

(We are greater then kings through Christ.)

Scripture can convict of sin, matters which are difficult should be meditated on to get their meaning -- which can take time.

What is critical is faith that there is meaning there for your good from God. (This is different from following a list of 'dos and do nots'. Look at it as something to ponder on to figure out the meaning of, rather then a laundry list of 'what you should do in every situation'. Situations can be dynamic.)

Ultimately, all Scripture is testimony of Christ -- and testimony of Christ is knowledge of God.

Comment

Sounds a lot like what Paul the Apostle had to say about his state in Romans 7:14-25. Notice how Paul ended this discourse.
                              Romans 7:24-25
                              24) O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
                              25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

No you are not a fool, just like the rest of us you are sinful but made righteous and wise in Christ Jesus (see I Corinthians 1:30, and II Corinthians 5:21). But oh wouldn't it be wonderful to be made into "fools for Christ's sake" (I Corinthians 4:9-10).

Comment

Working...
                              X