How do you understand the parable of the 10 virgins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you understand the parable of the 10 virgins

This is one particular parable in the bible, I do not have much revelation about yet.

Those 5 virgins who did not make it were pure (else they would not be virgins)
    They were waiting for Jesus (they had their eyes on Him)
    They had the oil (which may mean the Holy Spirit, I don't know).
    They had one problem : they did not have enough

And then JEsus said to them He never knew them, for they were not ready when He came....Help please, if you have more insight into this...

Now, while I am on the topic, I have another question that relates.

On a wedding there are
    1) The bridegroom (we know that is JEsus)
    2) Friend of the bridegroom (I suppose that is John the baptist) Joh 3:29
    3) The one that presents the bride to the bridegroom (I understand that as being Paul) 2 Cor 11:2
    4) The bride itself (I see that as those who are in Christ)
    5) The guests (There is a parable about guests, and one were not clothed properly and was casted out)...who do you see as the guests? Matt 22:11
    6) The Father of the bride and bridegroom (which is God the Father)

Please tell me where you agree or disagree or have any additional revelation to add in from your understanding from scripture and private discussions with our loving Father. I long to have greater understanding on this.

Originally posted by Yolande~ View Post
    This is one particular parable in the bible, I do not have much revelation about yet.

Those 5 virgins who did not make it were pure (else they would not be virgins)
    They were waiting for Jesus (they had their eyes on Him)
    They had the oil (which may mean the Holy Spirit, I don't know).
    They had one problem : they did not have enough

And then JEsus said to them He never knew them, for they were not ready when He came....Help please, if you have more insight into this...

On a wedding there are
    2) Friend of the bridegroom (I suppose that is John the baptist)
    3) The one that presents the bride to the bridegroom (I understand that as being Paul)
    5) The guests (There is a parable about guests, and one were not clothed properly and was casted out)...who do you see as the guests?
    7) Perhaps the mother of the Bride and bridegroom can be seen as the Holy Spirit?

Please tell me where you agree or disagree or have any additional revelation to add in from your understanding from scripture and private discussions with our loving Father. I long to have greater understanding on this.
    .. On the first question I see that we need to be ever ready. When I joined the Army they trained me for my mission and I graduated. From that moment on I trained and prepared, even though I had graduated. I view this parable in the same light. Just because we have taken Jesus as our savior does not mean that 3we should cease to study and to prepare for His coming.
    .. On your second scenario, I'll not comment on that because much of it is just not supported by scripture, to my knowledge.

Comment

Hi Yolande,

In the parables, the first thing to understand is the main thrust of the parable. In the parable of the virgins, the main point Jesus is making, is found in bold at the end:
      Matt 25:1-13

"Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

6 "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!' 7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' 9 But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.' 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.

11 "Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!' 12 But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.'

13 "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.
      NKJV
      Before we get preoccupied with seeking a corresponding meaning for each element of this parable, we need to recognize that the point Jesus seeks to get across: we must be watching and prepared when the Lord returns. This is a theme repeated by Jesus in other places and in other parables. See Mark 13:32-37; Matt 24:42; Luke 21:36;

So the main meaning of the oil is to show that some of the virgins were prepared for the coming of the bridegroom, and some were not prepared. Those who were not prepared are not going to be able to borrow the preparedness of others. Each person must be prepared for themselves.

The fact that all are virgins doesn't necessarily speak to their purity. In our culture it would refer mainly to sexual purity because so many unmarried girls and women are not virgins. In that culture it merely speaks to their unmarried state. All it really is saying is that they are bridesmaids -- the unmarried attendants to the bride. It highlights that they are all in the same category. What we can see from the parable is that all 10 of these virgins were expecting to go with the bridegroom when he comes. What we can see there, and verify with other passages of Scripture, is that not everyone who thinks they're going to be accepted by Jesus is going to be accepted by Jesus.
      Matt 7:21-23
      "Not everyone who says to Me,'Lord, Lord ,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord , have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
      NKJV
      Luke 6:46-49
      "But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do the things which I say? 47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great."
      NKJV
      Luke 13:23-27
      And He said to them, 24 "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying,'Lord, Lord , open for us,' and He will answer and say to you,'I do not know you, where you are from,' 26 then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.' 27 But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.'
      NKJV
      Love In Christ,
      Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill View Post
        .. On your second scenario, I'll not comment on that because much of it is just not supported by scripture, to my knowledge.
        I included scriptures now

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaP View Post
          Hi Yolande,

In the parables, the first thing to understand is the main thrust of the parable. In the parable of the virgins, the main point Jesus is making, is found in bold at the end:
          13 "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

Thanks Tanya for your detailed and relevant reply. I agree, it is important that we watch!

Comment

On a wedding there are
            3) The one that presents the bride to the bridegroom (I understand that as being Paul) 2 Cor 11:2
            5) The guests (There is a parable about guests, and one were not clothed properly and was casted out)...who do you see as the guests? Matt 22:11

There is a thread in the Maturing in Christ forum titled Covenant Relationship with Christ that you might find helpful in your understanding of the spiritual meaning of marriage. Check that out and see if that helps your understanding.
            http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=117898
            Love In Christ,
            Tanya

Comment

Green by Myrton:
              On a wedding there are
              YES
              Not sure, but I can see where you could get this. Let's see if someone else chimes in that may have spent some time on this already.
              I have never looked at this in this light because I think of Paul as also being in the bride, good point though.
              YES
              I would think the guests would be the angels and all the Heavenly host.

Tanya did a good job!

It is important to remember the main reason that Jesus told the parable!

Pondering is not wrong though and is usually insightful. Remember also that Jesus did not mention the breakdown of the ceremony in the parable but just said there was one and who was let in.

Comment

Quoted from Buckshot:
                I would think the guests would be the angels and all the Heavenly host

Thanks very much Buckshot for all your comments in green. As for this one, I can not see how the guests could be the angels, for some of them did not have the proper clothing on and were casted into outer darkness.

Comment

And then JEsus said to them He never knew them, for they were not ready when He came....Help please, if you have more insight into this....
                  The oil represents the Holy Spirit. All Christians have been 'breathed on' by Jesus(John 20:22). as the first disciples were. All Christians must be filled with/ baptised in Holy Spirit (ie. personal pentecost - Luke 24:49). Unfotunately many Christians seem to think they can function perfectly well without Pentecost - not realising they are, in effect, trying to push an electric car without a battery, instead of installing a fully charged battery and going further without effort.
                  5) The guests (There is a parable about guests, and one were not clothed properly and was casted out)...who do you see as the guests? .
                  Everyone must be clothed in Jesus Righteousness.

Comment

I don't believe we should be dissecting each and every part of the parable, trying to identify who's who etc - it's also important to see the parable in context with the other two - the sheep and the goats and the workers in the vineyard. All three deal with the visible, professing church and some in each parable will be shut out of heaven and condemned to Hell - Jesus makes it clear elsewhere that He does not know these people - indeed He NEVER knew them - so they are not true Christians and never were. This helps us to understand all the parables in context.

I don't think we should read purity into the fact that the five foolish virgins were still virgins - the message of the parable is not purity/impurity but wisdom/folly.

I also don't believe that the foolish virgins had ANY oil - the parable speifically says that they took NO oil with them. Someone might ask "How then could their lamps be lit?" A friend of mine at church was in Israel recently and he brought back a few clay lamps as presents, no doubt similar to the ones that these virgins used. There is a little hole at the end for the wick and larger one in the middle for the oil. I believe that the foolish virgins simply had the wick lit (representing their profession of faith/superficial Christian experience) but had no oil of the Holy Spirit that would be the only thing that would enable them to keep going. They could not trim their lamps if there was no wick!

Although Jesus' command is to watch, there is clearly a message that we need to be truly born of the Spirit so that we will possess the Spirit - He alone is the true oil for lamps - to keep them burning, as the chorus says!
                    Last edited by 9Marksfan; Mar 20th 2008, 06:59 PM. Reason: typo and additional sentence

Comment

Quoted from Buckshot:
                      I would think the guests would be the angels and all the Heavenly host

Thanks very much Buckshot for all your comments in green. As for this one, I can not see how the guests could be the angels, for some of them did not have the proper clothing on and were casted into outer darkness.
                      The one's that are not dressed properly will be the ones that are cast out for sure, to a place that was not created for man at all. They will not be able to be witnesses because they will not get to watch.

Comment

Good points Nigel,

The only thing I would point out is this:
                        Matt 25:3-9
                        3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

6 "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!' 7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'
                        NKJV
                        The foolish had lamps which had to have oil in them, in order for them to burn. The wise had their lamps AND their vessels with oil -- they had their refills with them, whereas the foolish did not take any extra oil with them. While a lamp is burning, the wick has to be trimmed every once in a while. The fact that they trimmed their wicks when the bridegroom came indicates that the lamps were burning the whole time the virgins were sleeping. The difference between the two groups is that the wise group was prepared and the foolish group was not.

A common lamp from around this time can be seen here. Scroll down to "Herodian Lamp" to see the image and description.
                        Love In Christ,
                        Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaP View Post
                          Good points Nigel,

The only thing I would point out is this:
                          Matt 25:3-9
                          3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.
                          6 "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!' 7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'
                          NKJV
                          The foolish had lamps which had to have oil in them, in order for them to burn. The wise had their lamps AND their vessels with oil -- they had their refills with them, whereas the foolish did not take any extra oil with them. While a lamp is burning, the wick has to be trimmed every once in a while. The fact that they trimmed their wicks when the bridegroom came indicates that the lamps were burning the whole time the virgins were sleeping. The difference between the two groups is that the wise group was prepared and the foolish group was not.

A common lamp from around this time can be seen here. Scroll down to "Herodian Lamp" to see the image and description.
                          Yep, that's pretty similar to the clay lamp I got. Maybe I'll have to readjust my analogy - but I do believe that the lit lamp of the foolish virgins is the superficial profession of faith, where there is not true possession of the Spirit/root in the soil (Jesus: "they believe for a while") - this may even be an initial tasting of the Spirit (Heb 6:4-6) - but many experience this who are never truly converted - why and how this happens is a profound mystery but that it happens all too often is undeniable.
                          Last edited by 9Marksfan; Mar 20th 2008, 11:20 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                            Yep, that's pretty similar to the clay lamp I got. Maybe I'll have to readjust my analogy - but I do believe that the lit lamp of the foolish virgins is the superficial profession of faith, where there is not true possession of the Spirit/root in the soil (Jesus: "they believe for a while") - this may even be an initial tasting of the Spirit (Heb 6:4-6) - but many experience this who are never truly converted - why and how this happens is a profound mystery but that it happens all too often is undeniable.
                            Hi Nigel & Tanya,

Had you ever considered that perhaps all are likened unto virgins because all have been baptized into the covenant body outwardly? Another way of saying it, whoever becomes part of the universal church through the sacrament of baptism has become a partaker of the body of Christ. But many receive the sign who are later shown to be in unbelief, but Scripture does not make a distinction between those coming into the body through water baptism, who are genuine or false. The only thing Scripture tells us is that there are false members within the body. So all ten are called virgins even though only five are the bride.

Many Blessings,
                            RW

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                              I don't believe we should be dissecting each and every part of the parable, trying to identify who's who etc - it's also important to see the parable in context with the other two - the sheep and the goats and the workers in the vineyard. All three deal with the visible, professing church and some in each parable will be shut out of heaven and condemned to Hell - Jesus makes it clear elsewhere that He does not know these people - indeed He NEVER knew them - so they are not true Christians and never were. This helps us to understand all the parables in context.

I don't think we should read purity into the fact that the five foolish virgins were still virgins - the message of the parable is not purity/impurity but wisdom/folly.

I also don't believe that the foolish virgins had ANY oil - the parable speifically says that they took NO oil with them. Someone might ask "How then could their lamps be lit?" A friend of mine at church was in Israel recently and he brought back a few clay lamps as presents, no doubt similar to the ones that these virgins used. There is a little hole at the end for the wick and larger one in the middle for the oil. I believe that the foolish virgins simply had the wick lit (representing their profession of faith/superficial Christian experience) but had no oil of the Holy Spirit that would be the only thing that would enable them to keep going. They could not trim their lamps if there was no wick!

Although Jesus' command is to watch, there is clearly a message that we need to be truly born of the Spirit so that we will possess the Spirit - He alone is the true oil for lamps - to keep them burning, as the chorus says!
                              9M,

I'm following you around.

You have got to be kidding me...they only lit the wicks with no oil in them. Don't you think that is a little bit of a stretch. The distinction is made initially between those who took vessels of oil and who didn't. Not who had working lamps and who didn't.
                              Last edited by 2 Peter 2:20; Mar 21st 2008, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X