Sin in Heaven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sin in Heaven?

Firstly may I say hi again to all my friends here with whom I have not spoken in a very long time.
    I thought I might pop in again and see how you are and maybe throw some ideas around.

To all I haven't spoken to before, Hi

My question is a simple one:

Can you sin in Heaven?
    "There is one thing even more vital to science than intelligent methods; and that is, the sincere desire to find out the truth, whatever it may be."

Charles Sanders Pierce

Good question. Do you mean is it "possible" to sin in Heaven?

As an aside, are you a Richard Dawkins fan? (Just asking because of your screen name).
    "There are two things I know. I am a great sinner. And Christ is a great savior." ~ John Newton

Comment

What is 'sin', is the more pertinent question. After sin has been defined, then 'sin' in heaven can be tackled.

Blind Watchmaker, good book by the way. Not as good as The Selfish Gene, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
        What is 'sin', is the more pertinent question. After sin has been defined, then 'sin' in heaven can be tackled.
        Oh! That's a good point! Thanks for bringing it up.

Blind Watchmaker, good book by the way. Not as good as The Selfish Gene, though.
        I agree.
        "There are two things I know. I am a great sinner. And Christ is a great savior." ~ John Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Blindwatchmaker View Post
          Firstly may I say hi again to all my friends here with whom I have not spoken in a very long time.
          I thought I might pop in again and see how you are and maybe throw some ideas around.

To all I haven't spoken to before, Hi

Can you sin in Heaven?
          Holiness and sin and heaven cannot co-exist. Sin seperates us from a Holy God. God hates sin.

He hates it so much that he decided in eternity past to make a way for us not to be in bondage to sin. He did this by sending His only begotten Son to die for our sin. Our sin condemn us to an eternity in hell but Jesus took those sins to the corss so that we might be free.

Christ, who knew no sin, became God's sacrifice for you and me. How about you freind? Is you sin so great that you don't know a way out? Give it to Jesus and let Him wash away your sin and forgive everything that you ever did.

Now back to your question. Sin has a place but not in heaven. The place is called hell and all who sin and are not saved will live for ever in hell.
          Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Let me clarify then...

By sin, I mean behaviour that is unacceptable or against the wishes of God.

So, with that definition in mind (and feel free to advise on a better one) is it possible to sin in Heaven?

Amazzin, you say that sin has a place but not in Heaven, but you haven't answered my question!

Is it possible to sin in Heaven?

(Oh and by the way, yes I am an admirer of Dawkins' work. )
            "There is one thing even more vital to science than intelligent methods; and that is, the sincere desire to find out the truth, whatever it may be."

Charles Sanders Pierce

Comment

Can you sin in Heaven?
              Well yes.Because doesn't it say somwere in the bible(i think in revelation)that the devil and all the angels who followed him in turning against God sinned when they tried to defeat God and take over heaven?

Comment

Let me clarify then...

So, with that definition in mind (and feel free to advise on a better one) is it possible to sin in Heaven?

Amazzin, you say that sin has a place but not in Heaven, but you haven't answered my question!

I did, I said:

Originally posted by amazzin View Post
                Holiness and sin and heaven cannot co-exist. Sin seperates us from a Holy God. God hates sin.
                No clear?
                Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Let me clarify then...

Is the next statement then going to be, "If it isn't possible, then does 'free will' exist in heaven?' ('ass kissing robots', as a friend put it) I don't think anyone would disagree if I said that Satan sinned in Heaven, as did a host of angels. Would that then make it possible for Christians to sin? I'll got out on a limb and say that it's possible. . . . But as Heaven is filled with people who willingly chose to serve God. . . Why would they want to sin? They'd get kicked out of heaven, going with was amazzin said.

Comment

Is the next statement then going to be, "If it isn't possible, then does 'free will' exist in heaven?' ('ass kissing robots', as a friend put it) I don't think anyone would disagree if I said that Satan sinned in Heaven, as did a host of angels. Would that then make it possible for Christians to sin? I'll got out on a limb and say that it's possible. . . . But as Heaven is filled with people who willingly chose to serve God. . . Why would they want to sin? They'd get kicked out of heaven, going with was amazzin said.
                    Yes, you did kind of anticipate correctly where I'm going with this.

According to my best understanding of christianity, many people sin but are accepted into heaven because they have repented of their sin before dying and accepted Jesus in time to be allowed in.

I have heard over and over that we have to repent of our sins because who among us has never told a lie?...never coveted anything?..never felt lust etc etc. These are human tendencies and not many people can get through life without succumbing to them at some point at least.

So, once we get to Heaven are we then in a situation where the first mistake ( a moment of jealousy, or a little flexibility with the truth etc) gets us ejected out and sent down to hell?

If that is the case, and given that our time in Heaven is supposedly of infinite duration, it seems to me that after a while it will be a pretty empty place, no?.....

Charles Sanders Pierce

Comment

According to my best understanding of christianity, many people sin but are accepted into heaven because they have repented of their sin before dying and accepted Jesus in time to be allowed in.

I have heard over and over that we have to repent of our sins because who among us has never told a lie?...never coveted anything?..never felt lust etc etc. These are human tendencies and not many people can get through life without succumbing to them at some point at least.

So, once we get to Heaven are we then in a situation where the first mistake ( a moment of jealousy, or a little flexibility with the truth etc) gets us ejected out and sent down to hell?

If that is the case, and given that our time in Heaven is supposedly of infinite duration, it seems to me that after a while it will be a pretty empty place, no?.....
                      Have you accepted the fact that there is an afterlife? Or do you believe it is finished when we die?

Regarding what Christians believe about heaven, we know that the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23) But we also know that there will be no death in heaven. (Revelation 21:4, I Corinthians 15:26) So, the sin that brings man death and separation from God will not be possible in heaven.

God Bless!
                      Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

I'm sorry I'll have to answer this more fully later tonight, I'm tight on time presently. Just a quick question before I become absent. . . . How do you understand the role of man's fallen nature (in sin)?

Comment

Can you sin in Heaven?
                          Simple answer: No.
                          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                            Have you accepted the fact that there is an afterlife? Or do you believe it is finished when we die?
                            Personally I do not believe there is any evidence for an afterlife.

Regarding what Christians believe about heaven, we know that the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23) But we also know that there will be no death in heaven. (Revelation 21:4, I Corinthians 15:26) So, the sin that brings man death and separation from God will not be possible in heaven.

God Bless!
                            Originally posted by VerticalReality
                            Simple answer: No.
                            How then will we be prevented from sinning? As I mentioned before, I am always being told by evangelicals that it's impossible to live on Earth without sinning. That's why we need to repent right?

How will it be any different in Heaven?

We will still have the same desires, conflicts of interest, jealousy, lustful thoughts, and failings that make us human wont we?...

What kind of person could live for eternity without once transgressing any of Gods laws? Certainly I couldn't.

It seems to me a slightly unrealistic expectation of anyone. I mean, lets imagine you get through the first six hundred billion years managing to not have an impure thought or covet anything, and then one day your neighbour arrives home with a really nice new Lexus. It's got all the trimming...Leather seats, cruise control..the lot.

You think to yourself..wow, I'd really like one of those..and then BANG!! you find yourself in hell for commiting the sin of coveting your neighbours property.

Or your wife says "Does my (lower back area) look big in this dress?"
                            "No!!!" you say (not wanting to hurt her feelings), but before you can convince her it was money well spent....BANG..straight to hell.

Sorry if the examples are facetious, but I think the point stands.

Charles Sanders Pierce

Comment

Just a quick question before I become absent. . . . How do you understand the role of man's fallen nature (in sin)?
                              Well, personally, I've always thought that its a pretty horrible concept.
                              Holding someone accountable (mankind) for the actions of another (Adam and Eve) many centuries before, seems as far from just as I can imagine.

But for the purpose of this discussion, I'm happy to accept it as axiomatic.

Charles Sanders Pierce

Comment

Working...
                              X