Amos 9:11-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amos 9:11-15

Does this passage refer to the time of the Messiah and the Christian church in the NT?

If you go back to verse 9 you get given the context of the scriptures: Amo 9:9 For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth. Amo 9:10 All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil shall not overtake nor prevent us. Here God is sifting out sinners from His people Israel. It tells us that this happens when they are scattered among all the nations. The only time they have been scattered among the nations is when the Roman empire overthrew them in AD 70. Verses 11-15 tells us how God is going to restore Israel. These verses are about Israel not the church. They do refer to the Messiah in a way as this will happen at the second coming of Jesus when He saves the remnant of Israel.

Comment

Thanks but I guess I'm not understanding your response. You said...

"The only time they have been scattered among the nations is when the Roman empire overthrew them in AD 70."

...but then you say that verses 11-15 refer to the Israel and not the church. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by bhoup View Post
        Thanks but I guess I'm not understanding your response. You said...

"The only time they have been scattered among the nations is when the Roman empire overthrew them in AD 70."

...but then you say that verses 11-15 refer to the Israel and not the church. Am I missing something?
        Sorry about that. I will try and clarify what I said.

If you look at the history books you will find that when Jerusalem was overthrown by the Romans Israel ceased to be a nation. Most of Israel's people where taken into captivity and sold as slaves and the rest were scattered to the four winds or killed to prevent further rebellion. This is also when the second Temple was destroyed. If I remember rightly this happened about AD 70. Amos 9:9-10 are speaking of this happening. When God talks in verses 9 about 'sifting the house of Israel amongst the nations' He is talking about how they will be scattered throughout every nation(no homeland anymore). In verse 10 He is saying 'He will get rid of the sinners out of His people by the sword' - they will die. This happened when Rome overthrew Jerusalem.

Verses 11-15 are still talking about the same thing. Verse 11-15 is talking about how there is coming a day when Israel will be fully restored by God. We know it is talking about Israel and not the church because in verse 11 mentions David, verse 14 it talks about His people Israel, verse 15 says 'He will plant them in their land'. The church never was promised a physical land but Israel was. David's place is being built up here as it was in the days of old. The church never had cities or towns that they owned that could be rebuilt but Israel did. The church has never been pulled out of their land or had a land to be pulled out of so how could they be put back in - Amo 9:15? Israel on the other hand has been out of her land since the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and did not return to it until 1948 when they were made a nation again.

Comment

Originally posted by bhoup View Post
          Does this passage refer to the time of the Messiah and the Christian church in the NT?
          Yes it does. Let's put Amos in context of history first. Amos was born in Tekoa which is twelve miles from Jerusalem. This takes place during the time when Israel was divided, and Amos is sent to the southern kingdom, Judah, from 795-754 BC. He was the first prophet to proclaim the end of God's covenant with Israel for their stubborn unrepentance. The prophecy occured about 30 yrs before the Assyrians captured Samaria in 721 BC. Amos was sent to Bethel to warn the king and people of the northern kingdom, Judah. The priests who were tired of Amos prophecies clubbed Amos to death.

The prophecy of verses 9:1-15 is fulfilled in Christ and His Church. In the Incarnation, He shook the "gateway" of humanity under the old covenant, destroyed demonic powers with the "sword' of the Spirit, descended into "hades" (v2); sanctified creation in the "river" (v5) of baptism; made "his ascent to the heaven" (v6) and "established" His Church "on the earth (Acts 1:8, 9, 2:1-11). He restored the faithful "remnant" (v12), brought in the "nations" (v12); and planted His Church among them. "Drink wine" foreshadows the Eucharist.

Comment

Working...
          X