Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creeds

Hi,

Not sure is this is the right place to post this but here goes. It has been drawn to my attention that one cannot be a christian or within the body of Christ unless one adheres to a 'creed'. Is this really so? Where in the bible does this come from? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you a part of a particular religion? just curious.

The only way that one can become a Christian and be a part of the body of Christ is to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, that He died, and was buried and rose again, having victory over sin and death.

1 Corinthians 15:3-"For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"

John 3:16-"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Karen,

No, I am not part of any denomination or religion. My faith and belief is firmly based in God and that Christ died, was buried and raised for my sins. Although I have been told that this is the basis for all christians to be sure yet it seems that christians must confess and agree with at least one creed. It is always possible that I am wrong but I have yet to see anywhere in the scriptures that show me that I have to do just that. It sounds more like joining a club to me than being part of the body of Christ. Am I way off or what? Thanks.

Comment

The creed ensures people understand the real fundamentals, which curbs heresy. In a way its like saying, we might disagree on points X, Y, and Z sometimse... but in points A, B, and C there can be no differentiation and still be Christian.

Is the creed usefull? Yes. Is it the basis for salvation and inclusion in the body of Christ? Most assuredly, no.

Comment

mizzdy welcome to the board by the way!

Hisleast...good answer...
          .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
          .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by mizzdy View Post
            My faith and belief is firmly based in God and that Christ died, was buried and raised for my sins. Although I have been told that this is the basis for all christians to be sure yet it seems that christians must confess and agree with at least one creed.
            Welcome Mizzdy,

You are correct. Creeds are of men not of God. The problem with us humans is we don't (as a whole) spend enough time in scripture to get a good understanding of Biblical Doctrine.

Doctrine (Latin: doctrina) is a code of beliefs or "a body of teachings" or "instructions", taught principles or positions, as the body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system. (from Wikipedia 3/26/08)

Because we fear that people will not study to show themselves approved we make up creeds (or guidelines) to keep folks in the straight and narrow.

This is where being a part of a "good" church family helps because you can join in worship and study of the Bible and grow some solid roots.

Comment

I don't really have a problem with the creeds, but what I think is a problem is when people place the creeds on the same level as, or even above, the authority of the Bible.

Scripture is accepted by Christians as being God-directed.

The creeds are interpretations of Scripture.

While I believe that the creeds are often spot-on, they should not be used as a method to determine if a person is a Christian or not, because they are not Scripture, but interpretations of Scripture.
              To This Day

Comment

HisLeast,

I certainly agree that creeds have nothing to do with my salvation!! Creeds at some point in history may have indeed curbed heresy yet today I don't see that especially if one visits some of forums on the net. From what I see there many denominations that don't or seem not to be able to agree on just one creed. No unity in that from what I see. I have even read from some is that when they went to join a new church the elders told them if they wanted to be in their church they must agree to a creed and all doctrine related to that particular church. To me that is wrong. But I digress, sorry. So if someone does not agree with any of the creeds are they not christian, are they considered heretic's? Thanks

Hmm on a side note I typed a message and tried to use an icon and the whole thing disappeared. This normal or just me?

Comment

Karen,
                  Thanks for the welcome!!!!!!

Comment

Buckshot,
                    Thanks for the welcome!

<<Because we fear that people will not study to show themselves approved we make up creeds (or guidelines) to keep folks in the straight and narrow.>> LOL I have to copy and paste myself since I cannot figure out this board yet!

I agree that it can be hard to keep on the straight and narrow path and that we must always study and pray for guidance. And yes it is true that having others that love God and Christ in our lives to keep us (hopefully) on that path, I just think it is wrong for anyone to tell me that I am not a believer that I am not saved since I won't recite a bunch of words. Just doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.

Comment

Hello and welcome, Mizzdy.

From a post here by HisLeast:

"Is the creed usefull? Yes. Is it the basis for salvation and inclusion in the body of Christ? Most assuredly, no."

To this I say 'Amen, good answer'.
                      "Gripped in the Hand of God"

Comment

Mark,
                        Thanks for this....

<<they should not be used as a method to determine if a person is a Christian or not, because they are not Scripture, but interpretations of Scripture.>>

This is how I look at it.

Comment

GrptinHisHand,
                          Thanks for the welcome and yes I agree that they have nothing to do with my salvation nor my walk with Christ.

Comment

I certainly agree that creeds have nothing to do with my salvation!! Creeds at some point in history may have indeed curbed heresy yet today I don't see that especially if one visits some of forums on the net.
                            I see the modern era and the net as being new and greatly improved ways to spread heresy and water down doctrine.

From what I see there many denominations that don't or seem not to be able to agree on just one creed. No unity in that from what I see. I have even read from some is that when they went to join a new church the elders told them if they wanted to be in their church they must agree to a creed and all doctrine related to that particular church. To me that is wrong. But I digress, sorry. So if someone does not agree with any of the creeds are they not christian, are they considered heretic's?
                            My church will allow you to attend, but "membership" is only given to people who agree to the doctrinal statements. That is done, again, to reduce heresy and ensure doctrine remains consistant.

Comment

HisLEast,

<<I see the modern era and the net as being new and greatly improved ways to spread heresy and water down doctrine.>>

Yes you are correct that this happens yet I have read many testimonies that tell me that without the net many people would not have come to saving knowledge of Christ. So like anything else in this life there is pros and cons.

<<My church will allow you to attend, but "membership" is only given to people who agree to the doctrinal statements. That is done, again, to reduce heresy and ensure doctrine remains consistant.>>

I can firmly understand the needs of churches to keep their flock in likemindness and unity. Yet I find that Christ tells me that I must confess Him and not a creed. To me there is a difference in declaring His name as compared to declaring a creed. To me there is no comparison. What I was after is for someone to tell me or explain to me why my salvation was wrapped up in declaring my belief in a creed. It seems its not and I never thought it did. But so many lately have told me different.

Could I ask, does it say anywhere in the bible that we are suppose to sign, confess, (anything other than His name) or anything along those lines in order to part of His church or body? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X