• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Corinthians

1 Corinthians 16:22

"If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha."

What/Who is Anathema Maranatha?

It's actually two different words. Anathema means cursed, while Maranatha was an early Christian expression from (I think) Aramaic, meaning, "come soon!" The book of Revelations ends with "even so, come Lord Jesus," - Maranatha.

Early Christians said it as a code, so they would recognise each other.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by creedfan View Post

Anathema means 'accursed.'
      Maranatha is an early praise term meaning 'O Lord, Come!'
      Last edited by NightWatchman; Mar 27th 2008, 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
        It's actually two different words. Anathema means cursed, while Maranatha was an early Christian expression from (I think) Aramaic, meaning, "come soon!" The book of Revelations ends with "even so, come Lord Jesus," - Maranatha.

Early Christians said it as a code, so they would recognise each other.
        never even saw your post when I wrote mine above.
        2 or 3 gathered together.....

Comment

Snap! Two or three witnesses as well.
          Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by creedfan View Post

This verse reinforces what Jesus said about obeying (doing) His commandments. See Deut. 4:2 where it says, "you shall not add to the word I command you, nor take from it".

This is also where Jesus teaching comes from on 'traditions of men'. In themselves, traditions are good, but the 'traditions of men' are those that contradict and nullify the teachings of scripture. Isaiah prophecied about the Jews of Jesus day, who would "teach as doctrines the commandments of men" (Is. 29:13, Matt. 15:1-9). Jesus called these 'the tradition of men' (mk 7:8). But the 'traditions' (as in doctrines) handed down in the Church by Christ and the Apostles are to be kept and honored (1 Cor. 11:2, 1 Th. 2:15, 3:6)

God's commands were to be taught and acted upon in the OT. Moses acted upon them, then taught them to others. This is the proper order, first keep them, then teach them. Those taught are then responsible to do them, for learning but not doing contradicts the teachings themselves. The same order holds in the NT. Our Lord said in the sermon on the mt, whoever "does and teaches" His commandments shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 5:19). Therefore, 'does and teaches' is the proper order.

Anathema is not so much a curse in the way we think of a curse, but it means that no one else can do anything with you (as in having anything to do with you) but God. This is also why Romans 11 says "concerning the gospel, [they are] enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, [they are] beloved for the fathers' sakes. " (Rom. 11:28)

Comment

Hey Creedfan,

You might want to purchase a newer translation. Anathema Maranatha isn't even a translation. For some reason, older translations didn't translate the words. All they do is put the Greek letters into English letters. That's call transliteration.

Check out how some newer versions actually translate those words into English words that mean something to you and me. Even the New King James translates the words. Interestingly, the NASB does not translate Maranatha but simply transliterated that.

22 I pray that God will put a curse on everyone who doesn’t love the Lord. And may the Lord come soon.
              CEV

22 If anyone has no love for the Lord, let him be accursed. Our Lord, come!
              ESV

22 _Whoever does not love the Lord—a curse on him!
              GNT

22 If anyone doesn’t love the Lord, let him be condemned! May our Lord come!
              ISV

22 if anyone does not love the Lord, that person is cursed. Lord Jesus, come!
              The Living Bible

22 If anyone won’t love the Master, throw him out. Make room for the Master!
              The Message

22 If anyone does not love the Lord, let him be accursed. Marana tha.
              NABWRNT

22 If anyone does not love the Lord, he is to be accursed. Maranatha.
              NASB95

22 If anyone does not love the Lord, let him be separated from God—lost forever! Come, O Lord!
              NCV

22 If anyone does not love the Lord—a curse be on him. Come, O Lord!
              NIV

22 If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. O Lord, come!
              NKJV

22 If anyone does not love the Lord, that person is cursed. Our Lord, come!
              NLT

22 Let anyone be accursed who has no love for the Lord. Our Lord, come!
              NRSV

22 If any one has no love for the Lord, let him be accursed. Our Lord, come!
              RSV

22 If anyone does not love the Lord, let that person be cursed! Come, Lord!

TNIV

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

Working...
              X