the bible's just stories......???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the bible's just stories......???

what can i say to someone who says this to me.

even when i say, yes, they've proved it to be accurate historically, and hundreds of prophicies have come true.

all i get is: it's just stories, man wrote it.

i'm getting angry hearing this....help.

Such people are normally closed to the Gospel but you may try being a bit more specific about some of the Bible's claims (eg. prophecies concerning Christ) and at least challenge them to refute these. Another tact is to simply outline what the Bible says about man (eg. he is a sinner, condemned to hell, unable to save himself etc.) and ask them, if men wrote the Bible, why would they essentially condemn themselves and invent a God that sends them to hell?

Normally there is at least one major reason why people don't believe in God or the Bible (eg. evolution) so you need to find out what their stumbling block is.

Cheers
    Leigh

Comment

Man did write it, but the Spirit of the Lord inspired those men, every one of them. The Holy Spirit led the writers, so we have everything that God wanted us to have, in the Book.

To me, the Bible is the story of God`s relationship to man (OT), and the story of Jesus and His relationship to man (NT). Add in the stories of the Holy Spirit, a few in the OT, and many in the NT, plus the fact that He came to be with us forever until the end of time, and there you have it.

It is the most amazing Book I have ever read. I call it the never-ending story...
      Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

hanks for those, yeah, i think debates are not my strong point. i can never remeber those things....and i'm like uhhhhh, uhhh, i read it somewhere...

and then people think i'm stupid. but hey, i do what i can.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemetal View Post
          what can i say to someone who says this to me.

even when i say, yes, they've proved it to be accurate historically, and hundreds of prophicies have come true.

all i get is: it's just stories, man wrote it.

i'm getting angry hearing this....help.
          The starting and end points in your discussions about faith is Jesus. The events of the Bible in both the OT and NT are there to be cast and shadows of Christ each pointing to Christ as the Saviour.

Until "faith" enters the heart of man the events in the Bible are just stories and the goal of such unbelievers is to contest the validity of the events. You anger is a symtom of being ill equipped to respond in a convincing manner. I suggest you get equipped to reply using Crist as the center of the discussion.
          Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemetal View Post
            hanks for those, yeah, i think debates are not my strong point. i can never remeber those things....and i'm like uhhhhh, uhhh, i read it somewhere...

and then people think i'm stupid. but hey, i do what i can.

Do this..either do not post at all if you don't have the answer, or come here with and ask us what information you need...we will give it to you then you can post with knowledge. The bible says to ALWAYS be prepared to give an answer for the hope within us WITH gentleness and respect.

So you do need to do the work to answer those that ask...it also help your own faith grow in knowing the answers. Plus it makes a great witness....otherwise the response you get will be this: 'Oh those blind Christians just believe whatever they are told'..,re-enforcing the idea we do just believe whatever...(which actually if we did we would believe whatever atheist had to say too...lol).

Here is a great site that will help you find some of those answers to give to others: http://www.carm.org/index.html
            CARM is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Its purpose is to equip Christians and refute error. Christianity is under attack all over the world and we need to articulate our faith intelligently and biblically. To this end, CARM offers a concise, comprehensive explanation of the Christian faith along with logical analysis of errors in popular beliefs. It is easy to use, written for the layman, and covers a huge range of topics.

Yes it gets old hearing all the time the bible is just stories...makes me wonder if they never watch the news where they are constantly discovering new evidence that the people, places AND stories in the bible really did happen. Even the History channel covers alot of this stuff. I wonder if these people live in a cave or what...to not know this stuff.

God bless
            "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

What I do, is pray for the Holy Spirit to guide my tongue when I am out and might witness to someone. My memory is very bad, and I am always afraid of looking stupid because I may not have the right answer, but I pray, and so far the Lord has worked wonderfully in guiding my words - sometimes I am amazed at myself! lol

Or else: tell them you will get back to them, then you could look up what you need and call them, text them, or email them... that would be a good way of witnessing to others, too.
              Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

thanks for that link. should be good.

Comment

Working...
                X