What is the Kingdom of God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Kingdom of God?

Simple question to bring up for discussion. What do you think is the kingdom of God? Is it now or later? What is the purpose of the coming of God's kingdom (whether it has already come or is coming in the future)? How does it come about? Are the kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God same thing? Of course be sure to include your Biblical rationale for it.

Originally posted by Owen View Post
    What do you think is the kingdom of God?
    Well, I don't think it was meant to be confusing. The metaphor of a 'kingdom' was used with the exact purpose that we'd understand. A kingdom is the combination of citizens who are under the authority of a king. The Kingdom of God is simply the church under the authority of the Lord.

Is it now or later?
    Both. Jesus said the Kingdom was 'at hand' in the 1st century. People were entering into it (by making Him their king/authority). He said it had come (Matt 12:28). But just like any kingdom, there are key dates in which the nature of the kingdom changes. The Cross & Resurrection were key events. AD70 was a key event. At the 2nd Coming, the Kingdom will change and, in a sense, be new.

What is the purpose of the coming of God's kingdom (whether it has already come or is coming in the future)?
    All the kingdoms of this world eventually falter. The purpose of the Kingdom of God was and is to create a Kingdom that has no end in which all of humanity is invited to take part.

How does it come about?
    Well, it didn't come about like other kingdoms (Luke 17:20-21) in that it came in a largely invisible manner since 'the kingdom is within you.' It came in another sense in AD70. It will come in an even greater (visible) sense at the 2nd Coming.

Are the kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God same thing? Of course be sure to include your Biblical rationale for it.
    They are the same. Claiming otherwise is just a hobby-horse. Matthew almost always (with 4 exceptions) worded it 'the kingdom of heaven' whereas the other Gospel writers worded it 'the kingdom of God.' They are obviously synonymous since they are found in parallel passages. Here's one of a bunch of examples...

Matthew 13:31
    [ The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast ] He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field.
    Mark 4:30
    [ The Parable of the Mustard Seed ] Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it?31It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground.
    The Matthew Never Knew
    The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Kingdom of God

Jesus told us to pray for His kingdom to come, for His will to be done.

His kingdom is in our hearts if we are 'in Him', what we call saved. In His kingdom then we are to serve Him as king, ruler of our hearts. Also I believe that we pray "thy kingdom come" in praying for others to be 'saved'.

I have learned a lot about His kingdom in studying a book by Rick Astle, "The Priority of Kingdom-Focused Prayer". I personally know Brother Astle and know he is a godly man with a great message and ministry of prayer.

g
      "Gripped in the Hand of God"

Comment

Hey Matthew. How have things been going for you?

Let me ask you a few questions, neither necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with you.

Originally posted by matthew94 View Post
        Well, I don't think it was meant to be confusing. The metaphor of a 'kingdom' was used with the exact purpose that we'd understand. A kingdom is the combination of citizens who are under the authority of a king. The Kingdom of God is simply the church under the authority of the Lord.
        First off, what exactly does it look like when it is a "citizens who are under authority of a king?" Secondly, is the church synonymous with the kingdom or do they have some overlap but are somewhat different also?

Both. Jesus said the Kingdom was 'at hand' in the 1st century. People were entering into it (by making Him their king/authority). He said it had come (Matt 12:28). But just like any kingdom, there are key dates in which the nature of the kingdom changes. The Cross & Resurrection were key events. AD70 was a key event. At the 2nd Coming, the Kingdom will change and, in a sense, be new.
        You and I agree that it is both. However, this leads to another question. Is the breaking forth (for lack of a better phrase) of the kingdom only instantaneous at certain steps or is there also a gradual process in between the instantaneous steps?

All the kingdoms of this world eventually falter. The purpose of the Kingdom of God was and is to create a Kingdom that has no end in which all of humanity is invited to take part.
        Let me rephrase the question. What exactly is the kingdom working towards? You may have the same answer, regardless.

Well, it didn't come about like other kingdoms (Luke 17:20-21) in that it came in a largely invisible manner since 'the kingdom is within you.' It came in another sense in AD70. It will come in an even greater (visible) sense at the 2nd Coming.
        But what causes it to come about? Or to speak more formally what are the means that brings the kingdom out?

They are the same. Claiming otherwise is just a hobby-horse. Matthew almost always (with 4 exceptions) worded it 'the kingdom of heaven' whereas the other Gospel writers worded it 'the kingdom of God.' They are obviously synonymous since they are found in parallel passages. Here's one of a bunch of examples...

Matthew 13:31
        [ The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast ] He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field.
        Mark 4:30
        [ The Parable of the Mustard Seed ] Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it?31It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground.
        Agreed. So what might this tell us about the notion of heaven?

Comment

Hi Owen!

I am SO glad you have brought this subject up. I am very intrigued by the study of the future Kingdom. I have done some searches on it, and have read many different views and opinions. I am new at researching this, so I don't have much to offer. But I definitely look forward to going along for the ride and seeing what you guys have to say.

God bless... Alyssa

Comment

Simple question to bring up for discussion. What do you think is the kingdom of God? Is it now or later? What is the purpose of the coming of God's kingdom (whether it has already come or is coming in the future)? How does it come about? Are the kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God same thing? Of course be sure to include your Biblical rationale for it.
            Hi Owen,

In addition to what you read here, there's a great thread on this started by Brother Mark here:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=99462
            In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyssa S View Post
              Hi Owen!

I am SO glad you have brought this subject up. I am very intrigued by the study of the future Kingdom. I have done some searches on it, and have read many different views and opinions. I am new at researching this, so I don't have much to offer. But I definitely look forward to going along for the ride and seeing what you guys have to say.

God bless... Alyssa
              Hey Alyssa

Currently not at my apartment right now, so I can't post it. But in my seminary reading, one of the books I went over is eight different models for the kingdom of God. Can't recall them off the top of my head, but when I get the chance I will post them for you with a brief explanation of each. Not that they are necessarily correct, but they do give us something to think about. And then of course, there will be the hopeful discussion here.

Comment

The kingdom of God is a HUGE subject! Much of Jesus' teaching focused on the kingdom. The present state of the kingdom is not the same as the future state of the kingdom. The kingdom as it is now is under the authority of the king, but the king is away and intends to return. Meanwhile, the king has entrusted his servants with his property, and will settle accounts with them when He returns. He will hold His servants accountable for their actions. (e.g., the Parable of the Talents)

At present, there are things in His kingdom that are offensive to Him, which will be removed when He returns.

Matt 13:40-42
                40 Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age. 41 The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend , and those who practice lawlessness, 42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
                NKJV

Jesus spoke of "this age" and of the age to come. Some believe the "age to come" is already here, but the Scripture paints a different picture of what things will look like in the age to come.

Rev 11:15-18
                Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!" 16 And the twenty-four elders who sat before God on their thrones fell on their faces and worshiped God, 17 saying:

"We give You thanks, O Lord God Almighty,
                The One who is and who was and who is to come,
                Because You have taken Your great power and reigned.
                18 The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come,
                And the time of the dead, that they should be judged,
                And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints,
                And those who fear Your name, small and great,
                And should destroy those who destroy the earth."
                NKJV
                Love In Christ,
                Tanya

Comment

The kingdom of God is heare on earth, and in the making by those who labor in their love for God. It's slow going but it will grow bigger and bigger. As Tanya P said there will be a time when Yeshua returns to claim the kingdom on earth as His Kingdom. There will be an accounting, and there will be consequences.

But it is through God and the Word He left with us, and through the sacrifice that there will be true disciples that will in the end reign this Kingdom on earth with Yeshua as the King.

For now we all should be working towards the goal of creating a Kingdom of God worhty for Him to claim as His bride. It's action and deeds that come from Faith that will count towards that end.

Shalom,
                  Tanja
                  Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                  2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                  If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                  http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

What do you think is the kingdom of God?
                    The eternal rule of God over creation. Daniel 2:44, 7:13-14, 7:22, 7:27, Revelation 11:15.

Is it now or later?
                    It is now. It began in the first century. Matthew 12:28, Matthew 21:32, Mark 9:1, Luke 9:27, Luke 11:20.

What is the purpose of the coming of God's kingdom (whether it has already come or is coming in the future)?
                    This is similar to the first question.

How does it come about?
                    The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say 'Here it is' or 'There it is,' for the kingdom of God is within you. Luke 17:20-21

Are the kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God same thing?
                    Yes. The gospels use the terms synonymously. Compare:

Matthew 3:2 - Mark 1:15
                    Matthew 19:14 - Mark 10:14
                    Matthew 19:23 - Mark 10:23
                    To This Day

Comment

Hey Matthew. How have things been going for you?
                      Going great thanks for asking. I'm in my 5th year working as the assistant pastor at my home church. We have my favorite bible-teacher coming this sunday from California to do a men's weekend. I may be starting a master's program in the Fall. And I've been dating a great girl for the past 6 or 7 month.

First off, what exactly does it look like when it is a "citizens who are under authority of a king?" Secondly, is the church synonymous with the kingdom or do they have some overlap but are somewhat different also?
                      I'll answer the 2nd question first. Yes, I think they are synonymous. I answered the 2nd first b/c that answer answers the 1st: It looks like the church

You and I agree that it is both. However, this leads to another question. Is the breaking forth (for lack of a better phrase) of the kingdom only instantaneous at certain steps or is there also a gradual process in between the instantaneous steps?
                      Oh, I certainly think it is a combination of gradual growth with key steps along the way, just like our individual spiritual growth. I think we pray 'thy kingdom come...on earth' DAILY for a reason.

Let me rephrase the question. What exactly is the kingdom working towards? You may have the same answer, regardless.
                      God is always working towards an increase in the quality and quantity of His Kingdom.

But what causes it to come about? Or to speak more formally what are the means that brings the kingdom out?
                      Discipleship and Evangelism. Quality and Quantity.

Agreed. So what might this tell us about the notion of heaven?
                      I think it fits with the rest of what we know, namely, that there will be a new earth where we will forever reside and that residing with God is, by definition, 'heaven'
                      The Matthew Never Knew
                      The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Hey Owen, good to see you.

The kingdom of God is a spiritual reality present within the Christian believer and within the community of the church.

Purpose is found in relevance. The kingdom of God is brought near and immediate to us in the Person of Jesus Christ, a radiant spiritual glory throughout creation.

1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; [even] in him:

Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.

Comment

In Matthew 13 Jesus clearly defines in several parables what the Kingdom of Heaven is like. The seed and the sower, the merchant and the pearl... etc.. I need to do a study on Matthew 13...

as far as it being on earth within the believer... I often find a kingdom is based on obedience... The Holy Spirit is God... but we establish the kingdom of God on earth as we are obedient to him... I don't believe that the Kingdom is already on earth... because we are commanded to pray "Thy Kingdom Come Thy Will be Done on Earth as it is in Heaven". Why would Jesus command us to pray for something that has already happened? I know that the kingdom has come to earth in that we can obey God by his spirit but that is a very partial fulfillment of what God wants, like the Acts 2 experience was a partial fulfillment of Joel 2:28. The kingdom can be made manifest in us, but it isn't completely here because I'm not seeing Jesus ruling and reigning in Jerusalem.
                          The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

Hey Alyssa

Currently not at my apartment right now, so I can't post it. But in my seminary reading, one of the books I went over is eight different models for the kingdom of God. Can't recall them off the top of my head, but when I get the chance I will post them for you with a brief explanation of each. Not that they are necessarily correct, but they do give us something to think about. And then of course, there will be the hopeful discussion here.
                            Hey Owen!

Oh, that would be awesome!!! Thank you!
                            I look forward to reading it... I am especially interested because of 1 Cor 6-9 "Do not be deceived, Neither will the idolaters, adulterers, fornicators etc..etc... inherit the Kingdom of God..."

The bible talks about those that will reign over the Nations with God. Well, if all believers are in heaven (the Kingdom) who the heck will these elect reign over? Again, I am very new to this study, but could these people that reign with God live IN THE Kingdom.... and those others who are the "nations," do they live OUTSIDE of the Kingdom?

Not sure if this post is even going there. But I am curious about the above. I'm sure ruling the nations has to do with the Millenium period. But there will still be a Kingdom. ????

Comment

Originally posted by timmyb View Post
                              like the Acts 2 experience was a partial fulfillment of Joel 2:28.
                              Where does Scripture say it was only a "partial" fulfillment?

Scripture shows us two types of things; the types and the archtypes. The "types" are events or things that came about before Jesus, while the "archtypes" are events or things that come about after Jesus.

Examples: The near-sacrifice of Isaac as "the son" was a type, while the actual-sacrifice of Jesus as "the Son" was the archtype. The child genocide because of Moses' death was a type, while the child genocide because of Jesus' death was the archtype. When Jesus came about, everything came to a whole; Scripture only show us the types and archtypes, but it doesn't hint or suggest to mere "partial" archtypes.

The kingdom can be made manifest in us, but it isn't completely here because I'm not seeing Jesus ruling and reigning in Jerusalem.
                              The Revelation calls "Jerusalem" as "the bride." The bride is the church, the fellowship of believers. It's not a city that is being called the bride, but the people who are the bride. If we are the bride Jerusalem, and Christ reigns in us, then Jesus is our King now.
                              To This Day

Comment

Working...
                              X