Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctification? Me? God? or Me and God?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sanctification? Me? God? or Me and God?

    This was recently presented to me. Is it biblically correct?


    Justification------------------>Sanctification--------------->Glorification
    All God-------------------------> Me and God ----------------> All God

  • #2
    mmmm....not really sure I even understand that presentation. But I will say this, sanctification is a process through which we choose to live more and more holy lives that God may be all in all...that He may be able to work through us freely without any flesh to hinder His work, and so that He might be glorified in all, and....

    Ah, the heck with it, simply put....He must increase, and we must decrease.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe this will be better,

      Justification is all God and none of me.

      Sanctification is Some of me and some of God

      Glorification is all God


      It appears that you would go along with this. Am I right?

      Comment


      • #4
        To be sanctified means to be set apart to God. Just like the items in the Tabernacle. They were set apart to God and were to be used for that purpose only. They were "set apart" or sanctified.
        I have a Blog. Please visit!

        My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

        Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mikebr View Post
          This was recently presented to me. Is it biblically correct?


          Justification------------------>Sanctification--------------->Glorification
          All God-------------------------> Me and God ----------------> All God
          I think this is wrong. I think that they are all "All God" He leads His sheep.
          Ephesians 1
          4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. 5 God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. 6 So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by My heart's Desire View Post
            To be sanctified means to be set apart to God. Just like the items in the Tabernacle. They were set apart to God and were to be used for that purpose only. They were "set apart" or sanctified.
            Yes I know, But whose job is it to set me apart. Mine, God or Both?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mikebr View Post
              This was recently presented to me. Is it biblically correct?


              Justification------------------>Sanctification--------------->Glorification
              All God-------------------------> Me and God ----------------> All God
              It's all by faith. Just as Paul wrote in Galatians, we begin in the Spirit and we are matured in the Spirit.

              But without faith, it is impossible to please God. We must believe! Not only must we believe, we must act on that faith.

              Do with it what you will. The devils believe and tremble.

              John 2:23-25

              23 Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name, beholding His signs which He was doing. 24 But Jesus, on His part, was not entrusting Himself to them, for He knew all men, 25 and because He did not need anyone to bear witness concerning man for He Himself knew what was in man.
              NASB

              Faith that leads to salvation will lead to obedience. That that leads to obedience is also sanctifying faith. One can believe God in his head all he wants. But if he doesn't act on it in his heart, his faith is dead. And as the scripture above indicates, Jesus will not entrust himself to that kind of "faith" for either sanctification or salvation.
              Matt 9:13
              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
              NASU

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                It's all by faith. Just as Paul wrote in Galatians, we begin in the Spirit and we are matured in the Spirit.

                But without faith, it is impossible to please God. We must believe! Not only must we believe, we must act on that faith.

                Do with it what you will. The devils believe and tremble.

                John 2:23-25

                23 Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name, beholding His signs which He was doing. 24 But Jesus, on His part, was not entrusting Himself to them, for He knew all men, 25 and because He did not need anyone to bear witness concerning man for He Himself knew what was in man.
                NASB

                Faith that leads to salvation will lead to obedience. That that leads to obedience is also sanctifying faith. One can believe God in his head all he wants. But if he doesn't act on it in his heart, his faith is dead. And as the scripture above indicates, Jesus will not entrust himself to that kind of "faith" for either sanctification or salvation.
                Yes But even faith is a gift of God.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                  Yes But even faith is a gift of God.
                  Yes it is. And always, the question is, what will one do with the gift?
                  Matt 9:13
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                    Yes I know, But whose job is it to set me apart. Mine, God or Both?
                    I believe that when one believes in the death, burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ and becomes saved that God is the One who sets you apart for His purpose and His Glory.
                    I have a Blog. Please visit!

                    My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

                    Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                      But without faith, it is impossible to please God. We must believe! Not only must we believe, we must act on that faith.

                      Do with it what you will. The devils believe and tremble.

                      John 2:23-25
                      .
                      Yes, there are lots of people who with their mind "believe in God" but yet they don't "Believe God". Especially when there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we MUST be saved. And that Name is the Lord Jesus Christ.
                      I have a Blog. Please visit!

                      My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

                      Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TheDayIsComing View Post
                        I think this is wrong. I think that they are all "All God" He leads His sheep.
                        Hi TheDayIsComing - great to have you on board!

                        Ultimately, you are correct ie that it is God who sanctifies us - yet what I think the poster is meaning is that, while justification and glorification are monergistic, sanctification is synergistic ie it requires our involvement and co-operation (Phil 2:12-13), wheras the other two don't - this is standard Reformed theology (to which i'm glad to see you adhere!) - do you agree with that? John Piper describes it as God's decisive work and our dependent work - amen?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          On the side, I was thinking that God sets us apart for His service, which is technical and He does it, yet on the practical side we have to be willing also to do His service etc after He has set us apart for His purpose and we sometimes disobey or whatever. Anyway, as I was thinking about it, I couldn't help but think of Jonah. God set him apart for His service at the time (to take the message to Ninevah) and Jonah ran from God, then he went and did what God desired and still he complained about the results (ya'll know the story) anyway in the end Jonah did end up doing what God has set him apart to do! So take it as you see it. (probably not the thread for "free will" predestination thing)
                          Anyway, I see us as sanctified (set apart for God) a condition we are in and others see sanctified as (cleaned up life, growth, etc) a conditioning. Anyway, neither here nor there (thinking out loud)
                          I have a Blog. Please visit!

                          My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

                          Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                            This was recently presented to me. Is it biblically correct?

                            Justification------------------>Sanctification--------------->Glorification
                            All God-----------------------> Me and God ---------------> All God
                            Well, since all of the above is grace I would break it up like this:

                            Grace given:

                            Justification------------------>Sanctification--------------->Glorification
                            All God-----------------------> All God --------------------> All God


                            Grace received:

                            Justification------------------>Sanctification--------------->Glorification
                            Me and God------------------> Me and God ----------------> Me and God

                            God Bless!
                            Watchinginawe

                            I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                              Well, since all of the above is grace I would break it up like this:

                              Grace given:

                              Justification------------------>Sanctification--------------->Glorification
                              All God-----------------------> All God --------------------> All God


                              Grace received:

                              Justification------------------>Sanctification--------------->Glorification
                              Me and God------------------> Me and God ----------------> Me and God

                              God Bless!

                              Makes sense, but I must ask this. If justification takes place (all God) and I do nothing, will Glorification take place?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X