Interesting/Troublesome Scriptures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting/Troublesome Scriptures

Last night I read Numbers 21 and was reminded of John 3:14-15 There are many OT types that point to Christ and this is one of them.

(Num 21:9) And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

(Joh 3:14-15) And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Now my question is, Why a serpent? Satan is the serpent. Why did Moses have to lift up a serpent and not a lion. After all Jesus is the Lion from the Tribe of Juda. There must be something deeper, something more profound than meets the eye. What are you thoughts on this?

This is just me, but I"m thinking in the middle of the desert it was probably a lot easier to find a serpent, then to find a lion. But that's just my humble opinion.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
      Last night I read Numbers 21 and was reminded of John 3:14-15 There are many OT types that point to Christ and this is one of them.

(Num 21:9) And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

(Joh 3:14-15) And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Now my question is, Why a serpent? Satan is the serpent. Why did Moses have to lift up a serpent and not a lion. After all Jesus is the Lion from the Tribe of Juda. There must be something deeper, something more profound than meets the eye. What are you thoughts on this?
      The emphasis in Numbers was on the serpent. The emphasis in John is on the "being lifted up." It was a precusor/foreshadowing of the crucifixion. Has nothing to do with the snake.

Comment

Now my question is, Why a serpent? Satan is the serpent. Why did Moses have to lift up a serpent and not a lion.
        My guess would be because... the people were bit by serpents and not lions?

I don't think there "must" be anything "deeper". Sometimes things can be as simple as they appear: the people got snake bites, so Moses was told to create a bronze snake staff for the people to look at with the faith that God would reverse their snake bites' pain.
        To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
          The emphasis in Numbers was on the serpent. The emphasis in John is on the "being lifted up." It was a precusor/foreshadowing of the crucifixion. Has nothing to do with the snake.
          But why lift it up, why not just leave the serpent on the ground? So that the people can see it from afar? I'm not so sure about that. Are you sure about the emphasis being different?

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
            This is just me, but I"m thinking in the middle of the desert it was probably a lot easier to find a serpent, then to find a lion. But that's just my humble opinion.
            You're so humble.
            If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Comment

It wasn't the snake that had significants, but the staff is where the power was.
              If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Comment

In Numbers, gazillions were dying from snake bites. Not very practical to put a snake on the ground and have another gazillion trampled to death to try to get to see the "healing snake."

In John, it's just a reference back to something that Nicodemus was very much aware of...Jewish history. The lifting up is just a reference to crucifixion...Nothing "deep" about it.

Comment

In Numbers, gazillions were dying from snake bites. Not very practical to put a snake on the ground and have another gazillion trampled to death to try to get to see the "healing snake."

In John, it's just a reference back to something that Nicodemus was very much aware of...Jewish history. The lifting up is just a reference to crucifixion...Nothing "deep" about it.
                  So I should just ignore the fact that it was a snake then?? Not important at all?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Sword View Post
                    You're so humble.
                    I try. Honestly, I try my best.
                    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

So I should just ignore the fact that it was a snake then?? Not important at all?
                      Not that I can see.

Comment

I think yes, to answer you simply. As stated since the snake brought death, it was fitting that the snake symbol brought the healing. Similar to how sin was introduced in a man, Adam, and was brought to it's knees by a man, Jesus.

Comment

Not that I can see.
                          Okay then. (15 characters)

Comment

Just a few quick thoughts. The brazen serpent was placed where it could be seen from anywhere in the camp. Ready redemption for any who would seek it. The serpent symbolized sin which is what Christ became when He was hanged on the cross. 2 Cor 5:21 He who knew no sin became sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. Gal 3:13 Cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree.

For the cause of Christ
                            Roger

Comment

Originally posted by notuptome View Post
                              Just a few quick thoughts. The brazen serpent was placed where it could be seen from anywhere in the camp. Ready redemption for any who would seek it. The serpent symbolized sin which is what Christ became when He was hanged on the cross. 2 Cor 5:21 He who knew no sin became sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. Gal 3:13 Cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree.

For the cause of Christ
                              Roger
                              Hey Roger, how did you see this and the others and myself missed it? I knew there had to be something more than meets the eye. Quite simple now that I think of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X