• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Riots Are Breaking Out Across The Planet

Food Riots Breaking Out Across the Planet

by ApacheTrout

Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 06:35:40 AM PDT

A significant spike in grain and commodities prices is driving up the cost of food worldwide and marking the beginning of the collapse of the world economy. As a result, violent riots have broken out, as described by Vivian Walt (Time, February 27, 2008)

Rocketing food prices — some of which have more than doubled in two years — have sparked riots in numerous countries recently. Millions are reeling from sticker shock and governments are scrambling to staunch a fast-moving crisis before it spins out of control. From Mexico to Pakistan, protests have turned violent. Rioters tore through three cities in the West African nation of Burkina Faso last month, burning government buildings and looting stores. Days later in Cameroon, a taxi drivers' strike over fuel prices mutated into a massive protest about food prices, leaving around 20 people dead.
    Here in the U.S., the economic collapse has been "contained" to the housing market and a "few bad apples" (Bear Stearns) in the financial markets, but for how much longer? Will we see food riots at home?

ApacheTrout's diary :: ::
    So far, the riots have been largely in developing countries around the world. The Wall Street Journal reports today (hat tip to Bonddad) that the World Bank estimates that the cost of food has risen 83% over the last 3 years.

Here's a timeline of food riots since 2007:

January 2007 - Mexico riot over the increasing price of tortillas.
    September 2007 - Indians in West Bengal riot over food shortages and public corruption.
    February 2008 - Cameroons angry over high fuel and food prices.
    February 2008 - Protesters in Burkina Fasso attacked government offices and burned, shops, cars and petrol stations.
    Marchh 2008 - Senegalese citizens are beaten following protests against the high cost of living.
    April 2008 - Haitians riot over rising food prices.
    April 2008 - Yemenis riot as the price of wheat has doubled since February, while rice and vegetable oil have gone up 20%.
    April 2008 - Egyptians riot over the price of bread.

Is the U.S.immune to the conditions that cause food riots? In March, Kossak bink documented soaring wheat prices, which are now showing up in price hikes at bakeries in Michigan, pizzerias in New York, and beer just about everywhere. Milk prices are up 26 percent and egg prices are up 40 percent.

But Americans are a tough lot. We swallowed $2 and $3 per gallon gas prices with nary a blink or change in our driving habitat (until very recently). But is something about to change? Nearly one in 10 Ohioans now receive food stamps. Middle class Long Islanders are turning to food pantries. In Windsor, CT, 350 households now visit the food bank, compared to 120 in 2006. While I don't believe food riots are in our immediate future, it appears our ability to feed ourselves is becoming increasing difficult, and a day of reckoning may now be on the horizon.
    Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Oh my... What does this remind you of???

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine."

So far our luxuries (the oil and the wine) have not been effected, but world wide the essentials of life have been driven up in price to an awful extent. Does anyone else see this as fulfillment of prophecy?
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Yes indeed, daughter, I see it as the beginning of famine, prophecy being fulfilled...

I have been watching the situation here in the US, but I had no idea the problem was world-wide, and to this extent.

Here is a link to more very good information, from Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/world...Name=worldNews
      Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

Our local paper had an opinion piece on this today wherein the author detailed that these increased prices have various reasons. One of the main ones being the legislation in the US to add ethanol to gasoline. This is diverting a huge amount of corn production away from food production (including animal feed). From what I recall, Brazil apparently can produce ethanol from sugar cane far more efficiently than the US from corn/wheat but trade barriers and the agricultural lobby does not want to allow importation.

Further, globalization has resulted in the development of middle classes in developing countries which are now vying and able to pay for the same resources that was normally granted to the western developed world.

Finally, investors discovered the value of the agriculture commodities and are driving the price up based on speculation, similar to the way oil and other natural resources have been driven up.

Essentially we are having a global inflation in all commodities, because we now have to share with a much larger segment of the world's population.

Sorry I can't link to the article as its a paid/member access.
        Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
        Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Originally posted by teddyv View Post
          Our local paper had an opinion piece on this today wherein the author detailed that these increased prices have various reasons. One of the main ones being the legislation in the US to add ethanol to gasoline. This is diverting a huge amount of corn production away from food production (including animal feed). From what I recall, Brazil apparently can produce ethanol from sugar cane far more efficiently than the US from corn/wheat but trade barriers and the agricultural lobby does not want to allow importation.

Further, globalization has resulted in the development of middle classes in developing countries which are now vying and able to pay for the same resources that was normally granted to the western developed world.

Finally, investors discovered the value of the agriculture commodities and are driving the price up based on speculation, similar to the way oil and other natural resources have been driven up.

Essentially we are having a global inflation in all commodities, because we now have to share with a much larger segment of the world's population.

Sorry I can't link to the article as its a paid/member access.
          To further this, in the last few years more farmers have been growing Corn and less farmers have been growin wheat. Many states offer subsadies and incentives for farmers who grow corn to be made into ethanol. This lowers the ammount of wheat that is produced. Next we have the price of wheat going up because the supply is so low. Next we have the drop of the dollar and inflation. Markets outside of the US can pay for wheat while companies in the US cannot buy the wheat due to: a.)decreased sales because prices have gone up and b.) the price of wheat.

So we don't have enough wheat to go around and the wheat we do have is bought by markets with wealthier buyers.

The last time I checked that is what happens to third world countries.
          When a Gentile asked Hillel to teach him the entire Torah while he stood on one foot, Hillel replied, "What you dislike don't do to others-this is the whole Torah, the rest is commentary. Go and learn."

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "
          - Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry about the link...

My question is, why is this happening? Where are the powers-that-be in all this?

Did no one see this crunch coming?

Comment

Originally posted by menJesus View Post
              Sorry about the link...

My question is, why is this happening? Where are the powers-that-be in all this?

Did no one see this crunch coming?
              People did see it coming, but they were labled conspiracy theorists and nut bags.
              When a Gentile asked Hillel to teach him the entire Torah while he stood on one foot, Hillel replied, "What you dislike don't do to others-this is the whole Torah, the rest is commentary. Go and learn."

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "
              - Mark Twain

Comment

My husband saw it coming three or four years ago. At the time we were involved in animal rights campaigning, so you can imagine most of our friends and colleagues were very much into protecting the environment, etc. They started to use biofuel, etc.

We decided NOT to, when Neil did the maths... if everyone who drives a vehicle starts using biofuel, there will be nothing to go round for folks to eat. Other things that we had been looking into, like soyabean plastics etc, looked dodgy to us, so we ended up very unpopular in AR circles, because we refused to support biofuels and sustainable plastics.

I wouldn't have picked up on this if it hadn't been for Neil. He was very singleminded when he researched any subject, and I remember him saying that if and when this took off, it was going to contribute to world wide hunger on a massive scale... and that smug Westerners might end up feeling very "good and kosher" while less fortunate folks in the developing world would suffer. "We'll only realise when it starts to hit the West," he said, "and that's going to be too late."

He had a long list of reasons why he thought it would hit the US before Europe, but it boiled down to the fact that the US dollar hasn't been tied to "real" currency for decades, and that if the Arabs take over the world oil market then the US could feasably go bankrupt.

I wish I'd paid more attention, I think he knew what he was talking about. One of the things that got him to pay increasing attention to the Bible, before he was Christian, was the prophecies in Revelation, which he believed he could see unfolding all around him.

Yes, I do think we're in prophetic times, and I'm sorry to say that there's nothing we can do to stop it. But also glad that Jesus is coming soon!
                Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

My hubby mentioned to me a couple days ago, there is a world-wide shortage of rice, with prices sky-rocketing. Millions of people in the world depend on rice as the mainstay of their diet.

Here is one story about it http://www.upiasiaonline.com/Economi...lippines/6495/ or you can google rice shortage and read lots of articles.

May the Lord grant mercy and provision to His people!
                  Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                  23 Guard your heart above all else,
                  for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Rice has increased 142% ( I think it said) and dairy ( eggs and cheese) has increased 80%, and wheat has increased 40%. ( These figures are not written in stone )

We need to pray really, really hard. It is spring in a lot of places - God can prompt men to plant the FOOD crops... He must, or people worldwide are going to begin starving... more than they already are... this is all so sad...
                    Last edited by menJesus; Apr 11th 2008, 10:21 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

In my earlier post, I mentioned an article I thought I couldn't get at, but it was available freely.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/c...6-54e084ff09bb
                      Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
                      Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

This makes no sense. The US government will wind up paying out even more in food stamps than they do now. But God alone knows what the rest of the world will do...

It seems to me like a few of us have dug a hole that we`re all going to fall into, here in a minute...

PS Thanks for the links, they are interesting and informative.
                        Last edited by menJesus; Apr 11th 2008, 11:09 PM. Reason: added PS

Comment

This makes no sense. The US government will wind up paying out even more in food stamps than they do now. But God alone knows what the rest of the world will do...

PS Thanks for the link, its interesting.
                          The United States is not going to start giving food stamps to the middle class, nor will they increase their foodstamps to the poor.

- Mark Twain

Comment

The middle class is becoming the poor. Its not the poor running up the foreclosure percentages...

And in Ohio alone, food stamps are given to a full 10% of the population now, one in ten.

And last time I checked, Ohio was still in the US. Now, Kentucky is next door... but thats another matter...

Comment

The middle class is becoming the poor. Its not the poor running up the foreclosure percentages...

And in Ohio alone, food stamps are given to a full 10% of the population now, one in ten.

And last time I checked, Ohio was still in the US. Now, Kentucky is next door... but thats another matter...
                              Yes I agree with you, the Middle Class has been fading away for some time now.

Maybe I should attempt to re-word my post. In New Jersey they give food stamps to a wide variety of people, College Students, the elderly, teen mothers, etc. There are a lot of states that do this.

But I really do not think, as food prices continue to increase and our economy continues to plummit, that the Government is going to increase aid to the poor or to the middle class. And those who are upper middle class will begin to be lower middle class and so on.

And regardless, I don't care if the Government gives foodstams to 10% or 80% of the population, its not going to solve a darned thing.

- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X