Hurt feelings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurt feelings

Anyone ever wonder if Jesus got his feelings hurt? I am thinking about doing a study on it and thought I would just throw out the question for consideration. So what do you all think? Did Jesus get his feelings hurt? If so, how did he handle it? If not, how did he avoid having hurt feelings?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Anyone ever wonder if Jesus got his feelings hurt? I am thinking about doing a study on it and thought I would just throw out the question for consideration. So what do you all think? Did Jesus get his feelings hurt? If so, how did he handle it? If not, how did he avoid having hurt feelings?
    He was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief - so of course his feelings got hurt - he wouldn't have been human otherwise! I reckon being misunderstood by those closest to Him would have grieved Him greatly - being let down by them in the garden and then abandoned by them - being jeered at and mocked on the cross - read Ps 22 and that is CLEARLY a man whose feelings have been hurt in a MAJOR way - and it's so obviously Christ that is spoken of in the Psalm - John 19 makes that abundantly plain...

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
      He was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief - so of course his feelings got hurt - he wouldn't have been human otherwise! I reckon being misunderstood by those closest to Him would have grieved Him greatly - being let down by them in the garden and then abandoned by them - being jeered at and mocked on the cross - read Ps 22 and that is CLEARLY a man whose feelings have been hurt in a MAJOR way - and it's so obviously Christ that is spoken of in the Psalm - John 19 makes that abundantly plain...
      But why do you think those are hurt feelings? Or offenses?

For instance, after seeing in Peter that he would deny him, then prophesying it, he said to Peter "My soul is sorrowful unto death, come pray with me".

I have thoughts going both ways. I am interested in reading what folks have to say about the whole issue. I haven't done any study yet so I will probably ask questions about it all the way through...
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

I always thought His feelings were hurt at least 2 times - once, when He was teaching in the temple while His parents were looking for Him, and again at the wedding feast, when Mary asked Him to turn the water into wine.

The Scripture states His responses, in both instances.

Luke 2:45-49 (King James Version)

45And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.

46And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

47And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

48And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

49And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

John 2:2-4 (King James Version)

2And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.

3And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.

4Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
        Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

But why do you think those are hurt feelings? Or offenses?
          Because they ought to have known better - they ought to have stuck with Him as His friends - it's human to be saddened when those close to us let us dow, surely? Nothing sinful there?

For instance, after seeing in Peter that he would deny him, then prophesying it, he said to Peter "My soul is sorrowful unto death, come pray with me".
          Have never connected the two before - and I don't think they are. He's starting to anticipate the cross, surely?

Comment

I agree with 9Marksfan, the disciples falling asleep in the garden must have hurt His feelings, even though He was fully Jesus the Savior, at that time.

Mark 14:33-37 (King James Version)

33And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;

34And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.

35And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.

36And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

37And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?
            Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

As was noted...Jesus was human and I'm sure his feelings got hurt often, but he was strong enough to continue on, not allowing the hurt to get in the way of his mission. I think of the following often:

Luke 4:24
              24"I tell you the truth," he continued, "no prophet is accepted in his hometown.

I'm sure in some way his feelings had to be hurt as the following happened all because he spoke the truth:

Luke 4:28-29
              28All the people in the synagogue were furious when they heard this. 29They got up, drove him out of the town, and took him to the brow of the hill on which the town was built, in order to throw him down the cliff. 30But he walked right through the crowd and went on his way.

I think of this whenever I find the courage to speak the Word of God to my family. I have a wonderful family (brothers and sisters, mom, aunt, etc) but for all the years they went to church (mom and aunt especially) it can be hard speaking the word to them. My brothers and sisters are ok but my mom and aunt will listen for a short time then change the subject (this is only after a few sentences). I guess you look to holy to some. Sometimes my feelings get hurt so I struggle when speaking to them of God's word, but it doesn't stop me the next time. This is why I feel Christ, being human, had to hurt some. He spoke the truth and while the town accepted some of it, they rejected other parts what he said and drove Him out of town.

He made a huge sacrifice for so many yet many didn't and still don't accept Him. They chose a murderer over Jesus to be released. I'm sure God our Father gets his feelings hurt all the time. We are made in the image of God and we were made with feelings...feelings God has. If my child rejected me and never spoke to me, I would be in deep agony. I'm sure God feels the same way.

Live your life in such a
              way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input folks. I am interested in seeing if I can find a passage where it speaks of his feelings. Sometimes the things Jesus did amaze me. I am wondering how he felt and when he felt it and how he dealt with the emotions.

I see some good posts above and they're all something to ponder. I will be interested to hear more if you guys think of something else to add.
                NASU

Comment

I'm sure Jesus felt lonely quite often. Then as now.

How would you feel if most everyone who proclaimed to be your friend never called you unless they were in trouble? So often people pray when things go wrong, look to Jesus to help them in their time of need. But when things are going alright, they don't pray, don't read the Bible. Lukewarm as John calls it.

That would make me a very lonely person indeed. Would it hurt your feelings?

Sometimes when I pray I ask Jesus if HE needs a hug.
                  In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Comment

Yes, but are we talking about the same emotion? The disciples left Him, yes, I'm sure it grieved His heart, but did they hurt His feelings? I guess I'm just seeing it as two different emotions. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by kingsdaughter View Post
                      Yes, but are we talking about the same emotion? The disciples left Him, yes, I'm sure it grieved His heart, but did they hurt His feelings? I guess I'm just seeing it as two different emotions. What do you guys think?
                      That is the exact question I am asking myself about all these things... It is on thing to be hurt over a situation. It is another for that situation to hurt or offend my personal feelings.
                      NASU

Comment

Originally posted by kingsdaughter View Post
                        I know exactly what you mean. And yes, I think his feelings were hurt at the time. Maybe at a few others. He was fully God, but fully man, too, right?

I think that once He began His ministry He was grieved in his heart, for the most part, because He knew that He, and His Word, would be rejected by some. But then He knew how it was to be, and what would come to pass for Him. So I think He accepted all that...

But the two examples I stated, He hadn`t started His ministry yet, so He was fully human at those times.

And in the garden? He was fully man at that time, too, and I believe it hurt Him that they could not watch with Him, but fell asleep instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Revolvr View Post
                          I'm sure Jesus felt lonely quite often. Then as now.
                          Ho can Jesus be lonely now? He has the highest place that Heaven affords (the right hand of the Father) and is worshipped by angels, archangels and all the spirits of just men made perfect? He is entirely happy and waits for His enemies to become His footstool....

How would you feel if most everyone who proclaimed to be your friend never called you unless they were in trouble? So often people pray when things go wrong, look to Jesus to help them in their time of need. But when things are going alright, they don't pray, don't read the Bible. Lukewarm as John calls it.
                          The feeling Jesus has towards such people is not hurt but anger - read Rev 3....

That would make me a very lonely person indeed. Would it hurt your feelings?
                          But you've not been highly exalted, as Jesus has!

Sometimes when I pray I ask Jesus if HE needs a hug.
                          Do you really think that is a prayer that is honouring to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, the Sovereign Lord of the Universe?

Comment

That is the exact question I am asking myself about all these things... It is on thing to be hurt over a situation. It is another for that situation to hurt or offend my personal feelings.
                            Sorry - what IS the distinction? I once did a seried of sermons on the suferings of Christ - physical, emotional and spiritual - I'm trying to remember what passage I used for emotional - I'm sure it was either from Psalms or Isaiah.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                              Sorry - what IS the distinction? I once did a seried of sermons on the suferings of Christ - physical, emotional and spiritual - I'm trying to remember what passage I used for emotional - I'm sure it was either from Psalms or Isaiah.
                              Oh, he definitely suffered emotional pain. When he went to the garden to pray, he asked 3 guys to come with him because his soul was sorrowful unto death. That was clearly an emotional response.

Let me explain an answer to your earlier question.... Jesus knew Peter would deny him. But even knowing he would deny him, he asked Peter to come and pray with him in the garden. Those two situations occurred very closely together. If Jesus was offended, would he have desired to be so close to Peter during his difficult time?

When Jesus was on the cross and folks were crucifying him, he prayed "Father forgive them, they don't know what they are doing...". Did he take the actions of folks against him as personal, and therefor have offended and hurt feelings?
                              NASU

Comment

Working...
                              X