Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Baptism in the Holy Spirit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Baptism in the Holy Spirit?

What does being baptised in the holy spirit mean?

Is it important that believers are baptised in the Holy Spirit?

Originally posted by chad View Post

When the Holy Ghost comes upon you, when you are endued with Power.

Luke 3:16
    John answered, ...he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

The apostles received the Holy Spirit in them before Jesus left(John 20:22) [SALVATION]
    But then the day Jesus was about to leave he told them,
    "Behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high."(Luke 24:49)

Endued means to be clothed. [BAPTISM]
    Then Jesus went further and explained, "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you" (Act 1:8)
    Last edited by Bladers; Jul 27th 2009, 01:30 AM.
    We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

Hello Chad,
      I just posted a couple posts regarding these same topics... interesting. I personally agree with Bladers. But I also want to add something. To be honest, many do not realize that our initial salvation is preparatory for the receiving of the Holy Ghost. We don't just simply get saved and then remain stagnant. Rather, the blood of Jesus is to make us able to receive the gift and baptism of the Holy Ghost, and to facilitate sanctification.

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
      Gal 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham [justification by faith] might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; [in order that] that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Also:

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it [justification];
      Eph 5:26 [in order that] That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
      Eph 5:27 [in order that] That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Thus, justification is to yield sanctification which is to yield glorification.

To neglect the baptism in the Holy Spirit (a separate and distinct experience from our initial salvation, as Bladers pointed out) is to neglect God's provision and power.

For more information about the Baptism as a separate experience, visit some others posts here: http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=181967

God bless you,

Z.
      "Unto you therefore which believe, He is precious" (1 Peter 2:7)

Comment

Originally posted by ZAB View Post
        Hello Chad,
        I just posted a couple posts regarding these same topics... interesting. I personally agree with Bladers. But I also want to add something. To be honest, many do not realize that our initial salvation is preparatory for the receiving of the Holy Ghost. We don't just simply get saved and then remain stagnant. Rather, the blood of Jesus is to make us able to receive the gift and baptism of the Holy Ghost, and to facilitate sanctification.

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
        Gal 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham [justification by faith] might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; [in order that] that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Also:

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it [justification];
        Eph 5:26 [in order that] That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
        Eph 5:27 [in order that] That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Thus, justification is to yield sanctification which is to yield glorification.

To neglect the baptism in the Holy Spirit (a separate and distinct experience from our initial salvation, as Bladers pointed out) is to neglect God's provision and power.

For more information about the Baptism as a separate experience, visit some others posts here: http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=181967

God bless you,

Z.
        I don't think the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a "seperate and distinct experience from our initial salvation." Can you provide scriptures that say this?

Comment

Thanks all for your answers so far.

The New testament instructs us to be lead by the spirit (Holy Spirit).

How Does being baptized in the holy spirit - help us to be lead by the Holy Spirit in our lives?

Comment

How Does being baptized in the holy spirit - help us to be lead by the Holy Spirit in our lives?
            Sure Definitely.
            Look at peter and the apostles when Jesus was arrested, They fled because the were afraid. Even peter that said "Lord i will die for you", he denied Jesus before the pharisees.

After Jesus resurrected, they were still afraid even after Jesus gave them the Holy Spirit to dwell in them (John 20:22) and they were saved. But Jesus pulled them aside and told them, "wait till you be clothed with my power from heaven after the Holy Spirit comes on you not in you, then and only then can you Witness with power".

[For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power] 1 Corinthians 4:20

And when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit and with Fire, these same men who ran away from the Lord in the days of his flesh. The same men were preaching the Gospel to thousands in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost.

These same men that used to fear the pharisees, all of the sudden began proclaiming to them, "should we listen to you or to God". These same men that did not want to die were praising God that they were counted worthy to suffer for Jesus.

Everything about them were changed, and Peter who denied the Lord one month earlier, became the man of Pentecost!

The Baptism with the Holy Spirit is not even a one time deal, because the apostles were baptized again a couple of days after the day of Pentecost and the building they were in literally shook. They went from Power to Great Power and Boldness.

Romans 15:19
            Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.
            We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

Originally posted by BroRog View Post
              I don't think the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a "seperate and distinct experience from our initial salvation." Can you provide scriptures that say this?
              Hi BroRog,
              please follow the link in my original post (post # 3 on this thread)

Blessings,

Z.

Comment

Because how can we fully be lead of Him if we are not fully immersed in Him? He is our comforter and guide. He has sealed us until the day of redemption (Eph 4:30). He renews us (Tit 3:5); He strengthens us in our inner man (Eph 3:16-19). He is the path towards intimacy with Jesus (Gal 4:6). If He is the power and love of God shed abroad in our hearts (Rom 5:5), then I want all He has to offer! I want to be immersed!

Z.

Comment

Hi BroRog,
                  please follow the link in my original post (post # 3 on this thread)

Blessings,

Z.
                  Been there. I read it and rejected it. I disagree with your interpretation of Jesus' commands to the Apostles, which you apply to all believers. When Jesus tells his apostles to go to Jerusalem to wait for the power, he is talking directly to and specifically about them as apostles. And what the apostles got at Pentecost was not the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The truth of the matter is that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is not a second blessing, or a second work of grace, or whatever. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit happens to all those whom God has chosen for salvation and denotes the born again experience as Jesus describes to Nicodemus.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

I believe the concept of being filled with the Spirit is different than that of being Baptized in the Spirit. Being filled with the Spirit is a special gift given to those on whom the Apostle has laid his hands. But the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is something that all believers experience as being born again.

Comment

Been there. I read it and rejected it. I disagree with your interpretation of Jesus' commands to the Apostles, which you apply to all believers. When Jesus tells his apostles to go to Jerusalem to wait for the power, he is talking directly to and specifically about them as apostles. And what the apostles got at Pentecost was not the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
                    the Bible actually oppose your above statement!
                    Jesus told them plainly that they will receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit in a few days.

Acts 1:4-5
                    And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Who should i listen to? Jesus words or your words?

Comment

Ok about the seal of the Holy Spirit. Is this something that we receive when we are baptized in the Holy Spirit?

In the NT we have examples of the Holy Spirit descending on people (those who did not yet believe), then they were baptized.

The bible also says we are the temples of the Holy Sprit and the spirit (Holy Spirit) dwells within us.
                      So I guess what I’m asking is: if we are non believers, we can sense the presence of the Holy Spirit. But when we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, the spirit then dwells within us. The Holy Spirit becomes our comforter and counsellor.

Do we have a closer relationship with God, after being baptized in the Holy Spirit as compared to not being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Because how can we fully be lead of Him if we are not fully immersed in Him? He is our comforter and guide. He has sealed us until the day of redemption (Eph 4:30). He renews us (Tit 3:5); He strengthens us in our inner man (Eph 3:16-19). He is the path towards intimacy with Jesus (Gal 4:6). If He is the power and love of God shed abroad in our hearts (Rom 5:5), then I want all He has to offer! I want to be immersed!

Z.

Comment

One is not a believer unless one is baptised in the Spirit.

Comment

I am so terribly glad that we can effectively reduce the Holy Spirit to nothing more that a battery to provide us power when we want it...
                          For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Ok about the seal of the Holy Spirit. Is this something that we receive when we are baptized in the Holy Spirit?
                            According to the Bible we are sealed immediately at salvation, not when we are baptized with the Spirit

Ephesians 1:13
                            "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,"

In the NT we have examples of the Holy Spirit descending on people (those who did not yet believe), then they were baptized.
                            Actually, if i'm correct to the scriptures you are referring to. They did believe.
                            If you read Acts 19:1-6. They were actually disciples and had believed on the Lord Jesus. Now according to the bible they were saved and the Holy Spirit indwelt in them but they were not baptized with the Holy Spirit.

So I guess what Iím asking is: if we are non believers, we can sense the presence of the Holy Spirit. But when we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, the spirit then dwells within us. The Holy Spirit becomes our comforter and counsellor. Do we have a closer relationship with God, after being baptized in the Holy Spirit as compared to not being baptized in the Holy Spirit.
                            First, Baptism (with) the holy Spirit does not happen at salvation. Baptism is when the Holy Spirit comes on us not in us.
                            Before salvation, Yes we sense the presence of the Holy Spirit when he begins to convict us, but when we surrender to Jesus. He comes in and dwells.
                            I like saying it as Jesus said it. He said: "He is with you, Shall be in you, then later shall come upon you"

1) With you - The Holy Spirit is with you before salvation to convict you. (John 14:17)
                            2) In you - He comes in you at salvation to indwell, and to seal you. (John 20:22/Eph 1:13)
                            3) Upon you - He comes upon you to empower you, for service (Acts 1:8)

Paul asked this question, "Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?"(Gal 3:3).

You see, we all start some place at salvation.
                            Then the more we fellowship with the Spirit and read God's Word. Our relationship with God increase!
                            There is no limit on how close we can be with God.

Comment

The truth of the matter is that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is not a second blessing, or a second work of grace, or whatever. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit happens to all those whom God has chosen for salvation and denotes the born again experience as Jesus describes to Nicodemus.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

I believe the concept of being filled with the Spirit is different than that of being Baptized in the Spirit. Being filled with the Spirit is a special gift given to those on whom the Apostle has laid his hands. But the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is something that all believers experience as being born again.

The bottom line is this: In Scripture, where the baptism (or filling) of the Holy Ghost is mentioned, it is recorded as a second subsequent experience. Do you have any Biblical evidence that suggests otherwise? Please do share.

Z.

Comment

Working...
                              X