john 14:6 and the Catholic Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• john 14:6 and the Catholic Church

I am listening to the Pope's serman at Yankee Stadium that is based on John 14:6. Aside from the opening reading of 1-12, everytime the Pope quotes the verse he stops short of 'No one comes to the Father except through me'.

I have heard that the Vatican has made statements about uniting the worlds religions. First, is this true, have they made these statements? And if so, what do they say about the second, and more important part IMHO, of John 14:6?

I am not trying to pick on the Catholics, and I think that seeing scripture super-transposed on CNN can be nothing but good(Philippians 2:18) but do they believe that Muslims are saved?
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
    I am listening to the Pope's serman at Yankee Stadium that is based on John 14:6. Aside from the opening reading of 1-12, everytime the Pope quotes the verse he stops short of 'No one comes to the Father except through me'.

I have heard that the Vatican has made statements about uniting the worlds religions. First, is this true, have they made these statements? And if so, what do they say about the second, and more important part IMHO, of John 14:6?

I am not trying to pick on the Catholics, and I think that seeing scripture super-transposed on CNN can be nothing but good(Philippians 2:18) but do they believe that Muslims are saved?
    As a former catholic i have learned more about the religon in a few months outside it than i did in 32 years as a catholic. I see it as a veil covering the true Jesus of the Bible but as far as your question goes i think i heard a quote from the pope saying to muslims that "we worship the same God" so i think they would say yes to your question .

Comment

I think a better question would be do they believe in the possibility of Muslims attaining salvation. To that I would say the answer is yes.

I havn't seen the sermon at Yankee Stadium yet, but if it was a Mass, then specific liturgical readings will be read out. The entire bible is read at Mass in a three year cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome1 View Post
        I think a better question would be do they believe in the possibility of Muslims attaining salvation. To that I would say the answer is yes.
        There is a possibility for everyone to attain salvation no matter what creed or background, i agree. IF they repent and believe the Gospel of the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross for forgivness of sins.

This is the scandle the Apostle Paul was not ashamed of, there is only one way and that way is through Jesus and Jesus alone. This is why we cannot agree with other religons and have the philisophy of " you have your way, and i have mine and we will all meet up in heaven" seems harsh but there is an absolute truth, and that truth is Jesus and his finished work on the cross for remission of sins ! anyone outside Jesus is outside salvation.

I know a muslim person who is a good man in my book, but my book is worth nothing.
        A muslim worshoping allah will die in his sins just as a jew or a hindu or any other that has not got his hope and faith placed in Jesus.
        Last edited by Rullion Green; Apr 21st 2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

The Pope

Some very interesting articles:

From The Times (UK)
          February 19, 2007

Churches back plan to unite under Pope

Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

Radical proposals to reunite Anglicans with the Roman Catholic Church under the leadership of the Pope are to be published this year, The Times has learnt.
          The proposals have been agreed by senior bishops of both churches.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1403702.ece

--------------------------------------

From The Times (UK)
          July 11, 2007

If it isn’t Roman Catholic then it’s not a proper Church, Pope tells Christians

Richard Owen and Ruth Gledhill

The Vatican has described the Protestant and Orthodox faiths as“not proper Churches” in a document issued with the full authority of the Pope.
          Anglican leaders reacted with dismay, accusing the Roman Catholic Church of paradoxical behaviour. They said that the new 16-page document outlying the “defects” of non-Catholic churches constituted a major obstacle to ecumenism.
          The document said that the Orthodox church suffered from a “wound” because it did not recognise the primacy of the Pope. The wound was “still more profound” in Protestant denominations, it added.

It was “difficult to see how the title of ‘Church’ could possibly be attributed to them”, said the statement from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Roman Catholicism was “the one true Church of Christ”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2056515.ece

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

an Orthodox response

Originally posted by Roelof View Post
            Some very interesting articles:

From The Times (UK)
            February 19, 2007

Churches back plan to unite under Pope

Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

Radical proposals to reunite Anglicans with the Roman Catholic Church under the leadership of the Pope are to be published this year, The Times has learnt.
            The proposals have been agreed by senior bishops of both churches.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1403702.ece

--------------------------------------

From The Times (UK)
            July 11, 2007

If it isn’t Roman Catholic then it’s not a proper Church, Pope tells Christians

Richard Owen and Ruth Gledhill

The Vatican has described the Protestant and Orthodox faiths as“not proper Churches” in a document issued with the full authority of the Pope.
            Anglican leaders reacted with dismay, accusing the Roman Catholic Church of paradoxical behaviour. They said that the new 16-page document outlying the “defects” of non-Catholic churches constituted a major obstacle to ecumenism.
            The document said that the Orthodox church suffered from a “wound” because it did not recognise the primacy of the Pope. The wound was “still more profound” in Protestant denominations, it added.

It was “difficult to see how the title of ‘Church’ could possibly be attributed to them”, said the statement from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Roman Catholicism was “the one true Church of Christ”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2056515.ece
            An Orthodox response, "Orthodox refused and St. Mark of Ephesus uttered his famous “Better the fez of the Turks than the mitre of the Pope,”

The Voice of Orthodoxy (a response to the popes words of the above 2007 speech)

Comment

Sure, but then they wouldn't be calling themselves Muslim, would they?

Comment

i am constantly surprised by how many people who call themselves Christian believe all paths (religions) lead to the same God.
                "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
                -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by Revinius View Post
                  i am constantly surprised by how many people who call themselves Christian believe all paths (religions) lead to the same God.
                  I believe culpability depends on ones knowledge.

Christ knowing the hearts and minds of all men/women will know how culpable each of us have been for are words and actions.

Comment

Episcopal in favor of reunification

As a church going Episcopalian I think that we have so much in common with Roman Catholics that we ought to split the difference and reunite. I think Catholics should let priests marry and maybe and Episcopals can give up women being priests. Let's call them priestesses instead.

As far as not using John 14:6, no one comes to the Father except through me. I am in favor of not emphasing the differences in religions or trying to Damn anyone who does accept Jesus's divinity.

Consider these verses from the sacred writings of Islam

Jesus is the author of creation (Sura #43, Zukhruf:63 )
                    Jesus ascended into heaven ( Sura #3, Al-i-Imram:55)
                    Jesus is coming again ( Sura #3, Al-i-Imram:45)

The healing of the rift between Christians and Moslems is possible in my opinion.

Comment

I believe culpability depends on ones knowledge.

Christ knowing the hearts and minds of all men/women will know how culpable each of us have been for are words and actions.
                      And the level of teaching of ones church. Those i talk of generally emanate from liberal churches.
                      "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
                      -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedMan
                        As a church going Episcopalian I think that we have so much in common with Roman Catholics that we ought to split the difference and reunite. I think Catholics should let priests marry and maybe and Episcopals can give up women being priests. Let's call them priestesses instead.
                        Catholics do let priests marry in the eastern rite, and there are many priests in the western rite who are married. I believe a lot of them are Lutheran and Anglican converts who were married before and wanted to enter the preisthood.

Women cannot be priests in the RCC.

Comment

All the catholics i know either went to a catholic school or were brought up catholics and none of them go to church of their own backs now that they are away from home.

Can anyone tell me one or two of the main flaws that protestants find in the catholic belief?
                          Jesus said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life'

John 8:12

PRAY FOR MIEKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Revinius View Post
                            This is a New Age or Emerging Church view point.

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedMan View Post

The healing of the rift between Christians and Moslems is possible in my opinion.

The rift isn't between Muslims and Christians.

The rift is between Muslims and Christ Himself.

He welcomes them to come to Him for healing; but His price is steep.

Matt 10:38 "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

Mark 12:30 "He that is not with me is against me"

John 8:42 "Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. "

John 14:23 "If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine"

Comment

Working...
                              X