This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pope

I noticed this woman talking about seeing and praying with the pope, she said she couldn't believen she got to see the "represenative of god" I find that rather stupid, I do not see how any man could represent god, isn't that blasphemy or something? I mean Jesus was the only truly holy person that was on Earth if you ask me, of course I could be wrong as I am sure someone will prove.

this is a topic for the World Religions forum, moving it there for continued discussion.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianKnight View Post
      I noticed this woman talking about seeing and praying with the pope, she said she couldn't believen she got to see the "represenative of god" I find that rather stupid, I do not see how any man could represent god, isn't that blasphemy or something? I mean Jesus was the only truly holy person that was on Earth if you ask me, of course I could be wrong as I am sure someone will prove.
      Just wondering . . . Where do you base this view outside of opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
        Just wondering . . . Where do you base this view outside of opinion
        um, where did I get my opinoin? I do not see a man worthy of representing God.

Comment

um, where did I get my opinoin? I do not see a man worthy of representing God.
          That's you opinion. Can you back up this opinion with scripture? Why shouldn't the Pope be worthy of representing God? Aren't we all representatives of God?

Comment

That's you opinion. Can you back up this opinion with scripture? Why shouldn't the Pope be worthy of representing God? Aren't we all representatives of God?
            We are all meant to try to spread the word, but if you are put higher than others cause of that, is that right? I mean really, aren't people expected to kiss his ring/hand if they meet him? I read that somewhere.

I think I said this earlier, I am not gonna try to argue with scripture, call it debate, but debate is arguing.

Comment

2 Cor 5:20
              20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.

All Christians are ambassadors...Here is an example from a bible study site (crosswalk.com) that pretty much all the explanations are the same:

20. Then we are ambassadors. We have God's message, are his authorized messengers, and speak for God, beseeching you for Christ, and in his name, to be reconciled to God by repentance and the obedience of faith.

An ambassador is an authorized messenger or representative. As christians we are authorized to bring the word of God to all people, that's why we must always watch what we say and do because we represent Christ. It's just like a job...you represent that company, that employer. If your actions and words are disrespectful to others, you make the company look bad. However, if your actions and words are admirable, people notice this and see that you are a good representative of that company. The same goes for Christ...Christians represent him here on earth...in many ways he is like an employer...we are his servants...his workers.

Live your life in such a
              way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!
              sigpic

Comment

I think the issue is how people put the Pope or any other "religious" leader up on a pedestal as if to worship them. They are men and women just like you and I. They sin and struggle just like the rest of us. I have plenty of issue with the Pope but that's for another discussion

Comment

We are all meant to try to spread the word, but if you are put higher than others cause of that, is that right? I mean really, aren't people expected to kiss his ring/hand if they meet him? I read that somewhere.

I think I said this earlier, I am not gonna try to argue with scripture, call it debate, but debate is arguing.
                  Debate is only arguing if you make it arguing. I agree that we are all meant to spread the word, we are all to be ambassadors for Christ, but that's not what you were originally saying. You said you could not see how any man could represent God.

You need to know your scripture so then you can give answers for those who ask questions of you. So you can retort those 'devil' theologians. Well we're (or at least, myself) trying to do is get you to think about why you believe what you do. If I come off as brash then I apologize, but this is important.

Comment

Originally posted by torazon View Post
                    I think the issue is how people put the Pope or any other "religious" leader up on a pedestal as if to worship them. They are men and women just like you and I. They sin and struggle just like the rest of us. I have plenty of issue with the Pope but that's for another discussion
                    This is very true.

Acts 10:25-26
                    25As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. 26But Peter made him get up. "Stand up," he said, "I am only a man myself."

Even Christ's disciples did not want anyone to bow before them...this was only to be done before the Lord.

Live your life in such a
                    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Debate is only arguing if you make it arguing. I agree that we are all meant to spread the word, we are all to be ambassadors for Christ, but that's not what you were originally saying. You said you could not see how any man could represent God.

You need to know your scripture so then you can give answers for those who ask questions of you. So you can retort those 'devil' theologians. Well we're (or at least, myself) trying to do is get you to think about why you believe what you do. If I come off as brash then I apologize, but this is important.
                      Well, I am not gonna try to learn it to just "debate" with people on here, if I want to learn it I will cause I want to.

Comment

Well, I am not gonna try to learn it to just "debate" with people on here, if I want to learn it I will cause I want to.
                        No where did I restrict my words to this forum.

Comment

For what it's worth in the news reports of the Pope's visit to the US I have read him described as either "the Vicar of Christ" or "God's (or Christ's) representative on earth".

Here is a link to this title in the Catholic Encyclopedia, with some scripture to rationalize the title.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15403b.htm

As I understand it, Catholics get to Jesus via priests, bishops, and ultimately the Pope. Whereas we Christians have a direct relationship with Christ vis a vis the Holy Spirit.
                          In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Comment

An interesting article on the "power" of the Pope:

From The Times (UK)
                            September 25, 2007

Pope's robe cut up for 100,000 'holy relics': “obtain graces through the intercession of John Paul II”.

Richard Owen in Rome

Fragments of a cassock worn by Pope John Paul II are being offered for sale to the faithful, causing concern in the Vatican over the resurgence in the veneration of relics.

Devotees of John Paul can apply via e-mail, fax or post for fragments of a white cassock to augment their prayers. A cassock worn by John Paul has reportedly been cut into 100,000 pieces to satisfy demand.

The scheme is run by the Vicariate of Rome, which is promoting sainthood for John Paul. The faithful also receive a “holy card” with a prayer to “obtain graces through the intercession of John Paul II”.

The Vicariate said that it has been overwhelmed by requests for the relics, with priority now being given to those who were praying for the sick or were themselves seriously ill.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2525151.ece

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

Actually, I agree with you, based entirely on scripture. I must have missed something... why won't you use scripture?
                              Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Working...
                              X