Reincarnation in the Bible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reincarnation in the Bible?

If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men. (1 Corinthians 15:19)

The term this life seems to imply we will or have lived more than one life. I don't believe Chrisitianity supports the idea of reincarnation but this passage seems to stongly suggest it. Any thoughts?

Paul is clearly speaking about the life we will have when we get our resurrection bodies - it will be so different and so much better than "this life", because there will be no sin and no Devil to tempt us and destroy things - instead, Christ will be all in all!

Comment

Or perhaps that this life is merely the beginning. When I contemplate "eternity", I realize that we here/now, are hardly in the womb in comparison.
      In others words, "this life" (in flesh), is Not what it's all about.
      "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

Originally posted by IamBill View Post
        Or perhaps that this life is merely the beginning. When I contemplate "eternity", I realize that we here/now, are hardly in the womb in comparison.
        In others words, "this life" (in flesh), is Not what it's all about.
        Amen! C S Lewis rightly called it "Shadowlands" - the full brightness of the noonday sun awaits us!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt 13:44 View Post
          If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men. (1 Corinthians 15:19)

The term this life seems to imply we will or have lived more than one life. I don't believe Chrisitianity supports the idea of reincarnation but this passage seems to stongly suggest it. Any thoughts?
          What does the bible say about our next life? Isn't our next life to be in Heaven or hell?

When you read John 3:16 what does that mean to you? For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever shall believe in Him will have everlasting life.

We know we die...so how can we have everlasting life? Because the 'life' isn't given in our human bodies...but in our spirit. Our spirit lives everlasting.

Be very careful in singling out one verse and trying to built a whole idea on it. Always read them in content, comparing them with other verses having to do with the same thing and the bible as a whole. And remember, how the writers expressed themselves then is not how we express ourselves now. It can be easy to assume too much over a word or two.

God bless
          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post

We know we die...so how can we have everlasting life? Because the 'life' isn't given in our human bodies...but in our spirit. Our spirit lives everlasting.
            The spirit does live on but it says specifically in the Bible that we will have new bodies given to us, new bodies that our spirit will live in- and yes, this is refering to when we are in heaven.
            He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of Jesus View Post
              The spirit does live on but it says specifically in the Bible that we will have new bodies given to us, new bodies that our spirit will live in- and yes, this is refering to when we are in heaven.
              True...but we won't be reincarnated to live here on earth again...I mean who would want too? To me that would be a form of hell. Having to come back over and over again. Being born, growing up...having to go to school over and over again! Going through the teenager years again...once is hard enough! Going through old age again...blah. That would be cruel to have us live again and again on earth in these human bodies. I never understood why anyone wanted to believe this stuff to start with.

God Bless
              "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

reincarnation is a hindu term and is a painful unwanted process of repetitive successions of living with the goal of ending the cycle and returning to Brahman. The Bible is not compatible with the process of reincarnation.

What i think you refer to is resurrection.
                "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
                -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                  Amen! C S Lewis rightly called it "Shadowlands" - the full brightness of the noonday sun awaits us!
                  You know, I have not yet read his stuff, but This alone-
                  "You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body"
                  makes so much sense of my experiences that I ask you to recommend to me my first.
                  "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
                    True...but we won't be reincarnated to live here on earth again...I mean who would want too?

God Bless
                    That's why I said "when we are in heaven" - of course we don't live on THIS earth again (although there is a new heaven and a new earth which will join together).
                    He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of Jesus View Post
                      That's why I said "when we are in heaven" - of course we don't live on THIS earth again (although there is a new heaven and a new earth which will join together).
                      Yea, and I agreed with you..sorry for the confusion...I quoted you because I agreed...lol...but then I went on referring to the OP. I have actually seen Christians on here fall into this view of reincarnation over two or three verses taken out of content in the bible. It just baffled me as to WHY, why in the world would anyone WANT to believe in it? It would be such a nightmare. Image all the possibilities...being born to a family that beat you to death at age six months..only to come back again to maybe being born in Africa where you could starve to death by age five, only to come back again to being born in a war zone and be blown up, shot to death before age ten, to be born again to a rich family in the UK that sends you off to boarding school and you never see your parents and live a life of meaningless...though no money worries,...actually making it to be an old man (unless you kill yourself before then abusing drugs, drinking or shoot yourself because life is empty) to being born again in China to dig in the hard cold earth to grown what you can to eat...being born in an urban inner cities where life is gangs, and violence and your future is nothing but prison or death.

I mean the ODDS you would actually have a normal good life are low in this world today where 80% of the world's population sleeps on the floor because they have no beds. No money, and more children die from disease and lack of food and war.

Why would anyone want to even consider such a horrible idea in the first place? I would almost think hell would be better then this.

God bless

Comment

reencarnation?

It is written:

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

No recycling!!! No second opportunities !!!

Comment

According to the Bible, we have only one life on earth:

And as it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment, (Heb 9:27, NKJV)

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt 13:44 View Post

There is not an Almighty God in some religions, so reincarnation is created to "keep things running automatically". In those religions things are running very well automatically, yet they failed to explain who created the "automatic mechanism".

Reincarnation runs automatically based upon a cause and effect theory, yet reincarnation itself becomes an effect without any cause. So people will not say that because of "???" that reincarnation existed. They can only say that "you believe it or not".

That's why those religions remain as ...just religions.

Added that Christianity is a religion goes straight towards faith and is all about faith, while some other religions are nothing about faith yet you just need faith (Christianity) to believe in.

Comment

resurrection

<<If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men. (1 Corinthians 15:19)>>

The issue of that chapter of Corinthians is the resurrection and the point is that if there is no after death life (in eternity), we are a pathetic group because this business of turning the othe cheek has no rewards after death. The problem is that too many people judge God on what they see happening here and without eternity as part of the equation, life here makes no sense.

But there is no recycling. We are appointed to die once. That is why I do not believe in life in other planets because Jesus died once for all.

Shalom

Comment

Working...
                              X