Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how literal....

(how literal) should we take this...

1 Corinthians 3:17 (New International Version)
    If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

what is considered 'destroy' i wonder. does suicide fall into this; i would assume so.

does drinking and smoking flal into this; it is in a form destroying your body no? some people think tattoo's destroy our body, at least that's their argument...(or else i don't ever know their argument-but that's not the point of this thread)

16 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?

1 Corinthians 6:19/20 (New International Version)
    Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

my main question is what does destroy (above) refer to?

....?

Destroy in the Greek is 5351...

its translated as to

corrupt or destroy

to corrupt or deprave

to be destroyed or perish
    ------------------------------------------------------------

How literal? 100% Who does this ? The Word says God Does

I believe it has to do with 'spiritual destruction' in the end... unless He has Mercy on that person... which I believe would prevail.. if the heart is genuinely repentant..

The God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob is a very jealous God.. and He is in control of all things..

His Own.. those He purchased.... are the Apple of His Eye.. His Work that He has begun in you.. if Genuine and True.. any obstacle or 'person' that has set his/her heart on destroying (DEFILE) that work .. your involved in.. that which He afore ordained that you walk in as His child.. if they have set their heart on destroying(DEFILE) you or the work.. out of envy and spite...

God will deal with that person as He sees fit... those who come against that.. don't really 'know' or understand that .. that which they intend to destroy out of jealousy or spite.. is Actually from God and can't be destroyed... because its 'of Him'.. and not based on carnal or fleshly motives.

how far He takes the 'destroy' part of it.. thats up to God... and He will deal with that person or persons as He does..

I have seen people in my Walk .. I have seen certain people come against what God is doing in my life.. they will lie, slander, and falsely accuse.. in order to 'destory' or bring to nought that which God has started in me... I have seen Him.. stop them right in their 'tracks'... some of those people are not alive anymore... they died a tragic and quick death... some have been put away in prison.. for along time...

'Suicide' could be a means by which He destroys... I firmly believe that...

Most people think of God as a Gracious and Merciful and Loving God.. which HE IS.. yet He is a very Jealous God and He hates iniquity.. especially when its used against one of His Own.. the Apples of His Eyes..

I have also seen people come against and try to destory myself or what I"m involved in.. I have discerned that.. and discerned that they were doing it out of jealousy.. and spite.. there have been numerous occasions where I have prayed for these people..

MADE INTERCESSION FOR THE TRANSGRESSORS...

I would tell the LORD,

Lord, these people are trying to destroy me and what Your doing thru me.. Lord, Don't hold this against them.. but open their /HEART/eyes to the Truth.. they are trying to destory me and what your doing.. but don't hold it against them.. Turn their hearts towards you.. and Save them.. I have interceded numerous times.. and He hears...

Hope this helps..
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemetal View Post
      (how literal) should we take this...

1 Corinthians 3:17 (New International Version)
      If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

what is considered 'destroy' i wonder. does suicide fall into this; i would assume so.

does drinking and smoking flal into this; it is in a form destroying your body no? some people think tattoo's destroy our body, at least that's their argument...(or else i don't ever know their argument-but that's not the point of this thread)

16 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?

1 Corinthians 6:19/20 (New International Version)
      Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

my main question is what does destroy (above) refer to?

....?
      Jesus said it is what comes out of our mouth that defiles someone not what goes into it.

Comment

In response to a man commiting fornication with his father's wife Paul states, "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. "
        (1Co 5:4-5)

So it seems here that the temple (body) may be destroyed in order that the spirit may be saved. By God's grace it did not have to come to this as the man readily repented.
        So my answer is 'destroy' refers to our temple... our body.
        ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

wow, thanks alot. all great replies. probly have to read over them again here to take it in...

Comment

In the context of this passage Paul is refering to the Church as the temple. The church in Corinth had several bitter schisms. They were divided over loyalties to leaders, language, race, culture, and doctrine. One group judged another based on their own standards. "How can he be a Christian when he believes 'x'? Can you believe the way she dresses? They follow the teachings of so-and-so; they must be heretics" etc.
            You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

Charles G Finney

http://holyrokker.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by holyrokker View Post
              In the context of this passage Paul is refering to the Church as the temple. The church in Corinth had several bitter schisms. They were divided over loyalties to leaders, language, race, culture, and doctrine. One group judged another based on their own standards. "How can he be a Christian when he believes 'x'? Can you believe the way she dresses? They follow the teachings of so-and-so; they must be heretics" etc.
              I agree with holyrokker. In the context of the passage at hand, the temple is the church and the issue is whether a teacher or a preacher will, by his or her teaching, causes the congregation to lose faith in Jesus Christ as savior, which is the foundational teaching Paul brought.

Comment

Working...
              X