No announcement yet.

Our Great High Priest... Forever!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Our Great High Priest... Forever!!!

Question:

If Jesus is our great high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek...

Hebrews 7: 17-22
    17For it is declared:
    "You are a priest forever,
    in the order of Melchizedek."

18The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

20And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, 21but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:
    "The Lord has sworn
    and will not change his mind:
    'You are a priest forever.' " 22Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then who are the 24 elders referred to in Revelation?

Revelation 4:2-11 (King James Version)

2And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
    3And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
    4And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.
    5And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

9And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
    10The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 11Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Why do they exist in heaven???

Blessings!!!

Originally posted by PrayerTower View Post
    Question:

17For it is declared:

18The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

20And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, 21but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:
    "The Lord has sworn
    'You are a priest forever.' " 22Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

2And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
    3And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
    4And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.
    5And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

9And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
    10The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 11Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Blessings!!!
    Firstly you are mixing metaphors but they do actually work sort of because the 24 elders are symbolically representing the priesthood in David's time which was split into 24 orders with job of ministering to the people.
    1 chronicles 24 v4 And there were more chief men found of the sons of Eleazar than of the sons of Ithamar; and thus were they divided. Among the sons of Eleazar there were sixteen chief men of the house of their fathers, and eight among the sons of Ithamar according to the house of their fathers.
    5 Thus were they divided by lot, one sort with another; for the governors of the sanctuary, and governors of the house of God, were of the sons of Eleazar, and of the sons of Ithamar.

The fact of it saying heaven is only symbolically of rulership not actual heaven, this is actually talking about the kingdom age on earth

Comment

Question:

17For it is declared:

"The Lord has sworn

Blessings!!!
      In Hebrews, the writer is stressing the passing away of the Law versus the New Covenant. Jesus is our High Priest by a direct oath of God, a direct promise. The mosaic priesthood has no such oath, or promise. Jesus' priesthood is eternal and established by God's oath and promise.

Revelation is a book of prophecy about events that will be controlled by Jesus Christ. The elders are a symbol of some of God's attributes. Jesus priesthood is an established fact of our relationship with God. The two books of the New Testament are dealing with two different subjects and used two different approaches to teaching.
      God happens!
      'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
      http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
      Originally posted by ProjectPeter
      When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

Comment

Hi Johnboy and slightlypuzzled,
        Thanks for answering my post.

JB your qoute:"The fact of it saying heaven is only symbolically of rulership not actual heaven, this is actually talking about the kingdom age on earth:

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean

SP:"
        "The elders are a symbol of some of God's attributes. Jesus priesthood is an established fact of our relationship with God. The two books of the New Testament are dealing with two different subjects and used two different approaches to teaching."

Guys... If Jesus became our great high priest, why was there a need for the 24 elders as signified in Rev 4:2-11?

Was he[Jesus] not the priest over the new covernant?
        and was there a need then for the other priestly positions?

Blessings to you!!!

Comment

Hi Johnboy and slightlypuzzled,
          Thanks for answering my post.

JB your qoute:"The fact of it saying heaven is only symbolically of rulership not actual heaven, this is actually talking about the kingdom age on earth:

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean

SP:"
          "The elders are a symbol of some of God's attributes. Jesus priesthood is an established fact of our relationship with God. The two books of the New Testament are dealing with two different subjects and used two different approaches to teaching."

Guys... If Jesus became our great high priest, why was there a need for the 24 elders as signified in Rev 4:2-11?

Was he[Jesus] not the priest over the new covernant?
          and was there a need then for the other priestly positions?

Blessings to you!!!
          in the scriptures heaven is symbol of government rule and this rule hear is talking of when Christ returns and establish the kingdom of God on earth.
          The followers of Christ will be kings and priests in the kingdom

Comment

Thanks JB,

I can barely grasp what you are saying

"and this rule hear is talking of when Christ returns and establish the kingdom of God on earth."

Pleeeaaassssseee.... break this down into laymans terms

Thanks and blessings!!!

Comment

Thanks JB,

I can barely grasp what you are saying

"and this rule hear is talking of when Christ returns and establish the kingdom of God on earth."

Pleeeaaassssseee.... break this down into laymans terms

Thanks and blessings!!!
              I'm talking about Christ's return when establishes his throne in jerusalem to commence his thousand year reign on earth

Comment

Hi JB...
                So then your saying that verse only relates to his thousand year reign on earth.

" 'You are a priest forever.' " 22Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant."

Not necessarily forever as into the Kingdom - Just earth/ not kingdom priesthood...

Bless you!!!

Comment

Working...
                X