Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

According to the Lord, the Ten Commandments is the way towards eternal salvation.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to the Lord, the Ten Commandments is the way towards eternal salvation.....

.... or rather, eternal life, so how many of you keep the Ten Commandments(I hope I don't come off judgemental or nosy, just curiousity)?

Did you mean to have this in End Times forum or were you shooting for Bible Chat? If Bible Chat was your intended forum I can move it for you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stillsearchin7 View Post
      .... or rather, eternal life, so how many of you keep the Ten Commandments(I hope I don't come off judgemental or nosy, just curiousity)?
      I suppose that next you're going to tell us we need to be going to church on Saturday instead of Sunday.
      ----------------------------------------------
      When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Eternal life comes through faith in the Son. We are not justified by our works, but by faith.
        To This Day

Comment

According to the Lord, the Ten Commandments is the way towards eternal salvation.....
          Here is the relevant scripture (I think). Do you mean some place else? Anyway, Jesus does not say that the Ten Commandments is the way in the following scripture. Actually Jesus, when pressed on which commandments, gives a list of less than "the ten".

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Now, perhaps the one asking was trying to trick Jesus and see if He even knew the Ten Commandments, but we know that Jesus knew the Ten Commandments. So, are the above all that one must do for eternal life? Is the list some how invalidated by other scripture? Or was the list only for this particular person and not applicable to us? If so, are there then different commandments for each individual? What would be my list?

Also, ponder this. Assuming that I keep the above commandments starting from this day forward, does that forgive me for my past transgressions? Or is there a statute of limitations on my past transgressions? Or do I receive forgiveness for past transgressions but not any present transgressions after realizing that I must keep the commandments?

God Bless!
          Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Hello! I have a feeling that this thread will be moved to a different forum, but I wanted to reply now in case I don't see it later. There is a key book in the Bible that talks about this issue of keeping the commandments and whether doing so gives you eternal life. The reference is Galatians 3:5-29, which is a long section. It speaks about how no one can ever keep every single one of the commandments, and that the law was actually given to show us how guilty we are of sin. We are all prisoners of sin, so freedom and life only come through believing in Jesus. The reference also says that Abraham believed God, so God declared him righteous because of his faith. I hope this is very helpful in answering your question.

Comment

Originally posted by wombat View Post
              Hello! I have a feeling that this thread will be moved to a different forum, but I wanted to reply now in case I don't see it later. There is a key book in the Bible that talks about this issue of keeping the commandments and whether doing so gives you eternal life. The reference is Galatians 3:5-29, which is a long section. It speaks about how no one can ever keep every single one of the commandments, and that the law was actually given to show us how guilty we are of sin. We are all prisoners of sin, so freedom and life only come through believing in Jesus. The reference also says that Abraham believed God, so God declared him righteous because of his faith. I hope this is very helpful in answering your question.
              How are you doing, Wombat. In what you are saying, you are partially right, but there is a huge difference between the law and God's commandments. It's true that we cannot keep every single law, that's what Christ accomplished, but there's no scripture saying that we aren't able to keep the commandments.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                Here is the relevant scripture (I think). Do you mean some place else? Anyway, Jesus does not say that the Ten Commandments is the way in the following scripture. Actually Jesus, when pressed on which commandments, gives a list of less than "the ten".

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Now, perhaps the one asking was trying to trick Jesus and see if He even knew the Ten Commandments, but we know that Jesus knew the Ten Commandments. So, are the above all that one must do for eternal life? Is the list some how invalidated by other scripture? Or was the list only for this particular person and not applicable to us? If so, are there then different commandments for each individual? What would be my list?

Also, ponder this. Assuming that I keep the above commandments starting from this day forward, does that forgive me for my past transgressions? Or is there a statute of limitations on my past transgressions? Or do I receive forgiveness for past transgressions but not any present transgressions after realizing that I must keep the commandments?

God Bless!
                How are you doing? You are right when you say Christ gave a list less than ten, but what set of commandments was he
                refering to? He didn't mention the first commandment, nor taking the name of the Lord in vain, so is it
                okay to do so, since he didn't name them? Those commandments include the sabbath, for the book of James
                tells you if you are guilty of one, you are guilty of all.

Comment

We cannot the Law was written to convivt us of short comings so that no flesh may glory in His presence. The Law was also meant to point to Christ when He came. The difference is that Christ was able and fully did keep the Law and still died for sin Not His own but ours. The covenant of Christ in His Body and Blood has freed us from the old covenant which was weak throught the flesh. We are not to bind burdens hard to bare on one another but forgive one another and see ourselves compared to the Holiness of the Righteous Lord and not to compare ourselves to one another. The Spirit which is the comforter does not condemn us of sin but convicts us of it. It takes the desire away. We cannot even see the wickedness within us unless the Spirit reveals it. The Lord works on us from the inside out. We can only work from the outside and can never truly get in as far as we need to. We cannot live by the Law...we know that and God knows that That defines our need for Christ because without Him we are still dead in sin as defined by God. The wages of sin are death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.
                  Take Care and God Bless
                  Jeremiah 23:29 "'Is not My Word like as a fire?' saith the LORD; 'and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?'"

Comment

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

Salvation is only found in faith. Following God's laws and commands are simply evidence of the faith we place in Him.
                    To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                      Eternal life comes through faith in the Son. We are not justified by our works, but by faith.
                      Ok but you also have to understand that how can someone enter heaven with their souls not saved and sanctified.We can have faith to want to change but if you dont have a pure heart to do these things then your just saying it to say it,and you want to do these things of sin.Now yes God doesnt
                      go by our works,we could give a million dollars to him or in the name of Jesus,but if we arent lined up with Gods will and we're in sin how can you recieve eternal life.
                      http://www.godtube.com/view_video.ph...3418003b47d7d5

Comment

Like I've said, there's a huge difference between the law and God's Commandments. The Most High wrote the ten, he did not write the law. All throughout the scripture it tells you to keep God's commandments, even in the new testament, after Christ.

Comment

I believe you have missed the bigger part of the 10 commandments....it's the law of love. The first two commandments tell us to love God with all our hearts and souls and minds, and the second is like it, love your neighbor as you love yourself.
                          If you keep these two commandments, there is no room to break the commandments, as love doesn't sin against those we love. All the other commanments are tied to loving someone else.
                          But as our Lord showed when He questioned the rich young ruler, it is impossible for us to obey every command, therefore, He goes on to say with God all things are possible. It is God's righteousness not our own that gets us into heaven.
                          Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingSacrafice View Post
                            Ok but you also have to understand that how can someone enter heaven with their souls not saved and sanctified.
                            Our salvation and sanctification only comes from our faith in Jesus.

We can have faith to want to change but if you dont have a pure heart to do these things then your just saying it to say it,and you want to do these things of sin.Now yes God doesnt
                            go by our works,we could give a million dollars to him or in the name of Jesus,but if we arent lined up with Gods will and we're in sin how can you recieve eternal life.
                            This is the idea that one is saved by faith and works, that one must have both to be saved, when Scripture teaches that one is saved only through faith. Works are evidence of the faith, but if a person has no works doesn't mean they have no faith. Even the famous John 3:16 says this. It says that "whosoever believes in Him has everlasting life." Not "whosoever believes in Him and does good things has everlasting life." Even before the Laws of Moses were given there was Abraham. He was not counted as righteous because of the good things he did, but because of his faith in God.

The whole point of Jesus doing what He did was because no man could be found righteous by their works.

No one can earn everlasting life. That is why Christ's salvation is given to us by the grace of God. It is a free thing, not something we have to earn.
                            To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by Saved7 View Post
                              I believe you have missed the bigger part of the 10 commandments....it's the law of love. The first two commandments tell us to love God with all our hearts and souls and minds, and the second is like it, love your neighbor as you love yourself.
                              If you keep these two commandments, there is no room to break the commandments, as love doesn't sin against those we love. All the other commanments are tied to loving someone else.
                              But as our Lord showed when He questioned the rich young ruler, it is impossible for us to obey every command, therefore, He goes on to say with God all things are possible. It is God's righteousness not our own that gets us into heaven.
                              Right. The commandment is to love God with all our heart, soul and mind. Now look at 1John 5:3 to see what that love is. If you love God with all of your heart, mind and soul, aren't you going to keep his commandments? Scripture says he that says I know him and keep not his commandments is a liar.

Comment

Working...
                              X