Ezekiel's Temple -- HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ezekiel's Temple -- HELP!!!

Okay...So I'm trying to make sense of the whole temple vision of Ezekiel. Obviously, this isn't going to be a Millennial temple, as some articles on the internet say, because that would seem to run contrary to other Scripture, and the fact that it talks about sin offerings being sacrificed, well since Christ is our sacrifice, I don't see how this can be literal.

So, then, what is the purpose of this vision, and what does it really signify? The fact that it has literal dimensions seems to speak of more than a spiritual significance, but it seems like it's talking about a literal temple, so then, when is it supposed to be built?

Can anyone offer any help at all? I would like some context, so that I can read this with a little more clarity, but it's just confusing to me.

Also, the passages about Gog and Megog -- It appears that God already had some sort of a beef with these nations, so He causes them to rise up against Israel to glorify Himself when they are defeated. Again, I don;t want to make this into an End Times Chat thread -- I would just like to know what it is that I'm reading.

Thanks so much!!!

I'm not sure but a new temple may be built during the thousand year rein of Christ. Or maybe even after. Or Ezekiel's vision may be of the new Jerusalem mentioned in Revelation chapter 21.

Comment

Originally posted by nzyr View Post
      I'm not sure but a new temple may be built during the thousand year rein of Christ. Or maybe even after. Or Ezekiel's vision may be of the new Jerusalem mentioned in Revelation chapter 21.
      I don;t see how this can be referring to that, because as I said, it's talking about an altar for sin sacrifice, and we all know that Christ is our sacrifice. This would make no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Welder4Christ View Post
        I don;t see how this can be referring to that, because as I said, it's talking about an altar for sin sacrifice, and we all know that Christ is our sacrifice. This would make no sense.
        Did the sacrifices in the law forgive?

Comment

I'm sorry sirus -- I don't understand.

No, from my understanding, they were just a temporary covering....but what does this have to do with the vision of Ezekiel? If Christ is our sacrifice, then why would we even need a covering?

Comment

Okay...So I'm trying to make sense of the whole temple vision of Ezekiel. Obviously, this isn't going to be a Millennial temple, as some articles on the internet say, because that would seem to run contrary to other Scripture, and the fact that it talks about sin offerings being sacrificed, well since Christ is our sacrifice, I don't see how this can be literal.

So, then, what is the purpose of this vision, and what does it really signify? The fact that it has literal dimensions seems to speak of more than a spiritual significance, but it seems like it's talking about a literal temple, so then, when is it supposed to be built?

Can anyone offer any help at all? I would like some context, so that I can read this with a little more clarity, but it's just confusing to me.

Also, the passages about Gog and Megog -- It appears that God already had some sort of a beef with these nations, so He causes them to rise up against Israel to glorify Himself when they are defeated. Again, I don;t want to make this into an End Times Chat thread -- I would just like to know what it is that I'm reading.

Thanks so much!!!
            The sacrificial system will be revived during the Tribulation, when God is turning His attention to Israel while the Church is absent. There will be a third temple built. In fact, they have already got a pre-fab temple ready to go at a moment's notice.

Comment

Thanks so much!!!
              There has been a lot of good dialog on this question recently, most notably here and here. Both of these are excellent threads with tons of good insights. You should check them out!

- Hitman

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." - Advice from the Apostle Paul

Comment

I'm sorry sirus -- I don't understand.

No, from my understanding, they were just a temporary covering....but what does this have to do with the vision of Ezekiel? If Christ is our sacrifice, then why would we even need a covering?
                Sirus hit the nail on the head.

The OT sacrifices could never 'take away' sin and therefore it will be the same with Millennial sacrifices, so the sacrifice of Christ is not diminished in any way, nor can it be replaced by these sacrifices. However those who serve and come to worship at the temple will still be sinners and so I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that sacrifices could function to 'cover' the ceremonial uncleanness of the priests and worshippers. The word "atonement" in its simplest form simply means "to cover". So while these 'covering' sacrifices will not be efficacious they will still be necessary for undefiled worship in the millennial temple.

Cheers
                Leigh

Comment

the whole temple vision of Ezekiel. Obviously, this isn't going to be a Millennial temple, as some articles on the internet say, because that would seem to run contrary to other Scripture

So, then, what is the purpose of this vision, and what does it really signify?
                  Ezekiel said it was a conditional blueprint of what the Israelites returning from Assyrian/Babylonian captivity could have had, if they would have remained faithful.

Ezek 43:11 And if they be ashamed of all that they have done, shew them the form of the house, and the fashion thereof, and the goings out thereof, and the comings in thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the laws thereof:

But God in His great Mercy, less than 600 years later, provided an even better temple...one Made Without Hands, that would never fail and would last forevermore!! Stone buildings made with hands for sacrifice ended forevermore.

Mark 14:58 I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.

Hebrews 9:8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Comment

Originally posted by TEITZY View Post
                    However those who serve and come to worship at the temple will still be sinners and so I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that sacrifices could function to 'cover' the ceremonial uncleanness of the priests and worshippers. So while these 'covering' sacrifices will not be efficacious they will still be necessary for undefiled worship
                    Are you Jewish?

Sounds like you are expecting a return to the practice of ancient, orthodox Judaism.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post

Are you Jewish?

Sounds like you are expecting a return to the practice of ancient, orthodox Judaism.
                      You make it sound like a crime

God implemented these things under the old covenant as part of the law and so while they were only pictures or types of the ultimate sacrifice, they are not bad or evil and still hold some value as far as God is concerned. Furthermore the nature of the kingdom is decidedly Jewish, so the return of some of these practices and feasts is hardly surprising.

Cheers
                      Leigh

Comment

Originally posted by TEITZY View Post
                        Originally posted by Dave Taylor earlier
                        Are you Jewish?

You make it sound like a crime
                        What part of my question made it sound like a crime?

From your prior post, that's what it sounded like to me...just asking a curious question.

Comment

Thanks so much!!!
                          What were the sacrifices about 1. the show forth Christ 2. they were a very visual reminder to show those that were offering that they could not do it on their own. 3. They were part of the law of the land

In the 1000 year reign of Christ the world will need to re educated about Christ, reminded that they are reliant on God, and will need a structured law. So the sacrifices I think make perfect sense.

With Gog and Magog you are looking at the time nearing to Armageddon when the army of the north will come against Israel and Christ will return triumphant.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy View Post

In the 1000 year reign of Christ the world will need to re educated about Christ, reminded that they are reliant on God, and will need a structured law. So the sacrifices I think make perfect sense.
                            So are you saying stop following the superior guidance of the Bible and the Holy Spirit, which has been handling all of that instruction the last 2,000 yrs, and revert back to the inferior types and shadows that once pointed forward to Christ?

Why not just continue following the examples, precepts, and teachings of the better New Covenant that replaced the Old Covenant, that waxed old and vanished away?

Sounds like you're suggesting that after Christ Returns to Earth, we'll turn off Christianity, and go back to Judaism again.

How does that make perfect sense?

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
                              So are you saying stop following the superior guidance of the Bible and the Holy Spirit, which has been handling all of that instruction the last 2,000 yrs, and revert back to the inferior types and shadows that once pointed forward to Christ?

Why not just continue following the examples, precepts, and teachings of the better New Covenant that replaced the Old Covenant, that waxed old and vanished away?

Sounds like you're suggesting that after Christ Returns to Earth, we'll turn off Christianity, and go back to Judaism again.

How does that make perfect sense?
                              Having been in these discussions before (which I am sure you have too) its absolutely amazing how many believe animal sacrifices will start up again totally and completely igoring the 'conditions' God gave regarding this to start with.

What an insult to God to start animal sacrifices again! This would be telling Him what His Son did meant nothing! Wasn't good enough!

Hebrews 10

Animal Sacrifices Insufficient

1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

Christ’s Death Fulfills God’s Will

5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:

“ Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
                              But a body You have prepared for Me.
                              6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin
                              You had no pleasure.
                              7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
                              In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
                              To do Your will, O God.’”

8 Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them ” (which are offered according to the law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second. 10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Christ’s Death Perfects the Sanctified

11 And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, 13 from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. 14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.
                              15 But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before,
                              16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” 17 then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” 18 Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.
                              "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Working...
                              X