Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proverbs 1, God laughs at those in trouble and mocks them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proverbs 1, God laughs at those in trouble and mocks them?

I am putting this on this form because this has come up in a discussion to someone I witnessing to about our faith.

23 Come and listen to my counsel.
    I’ll share my heart with you
    and make you wise.

24 “I called you so often, but you wouldn’t come.
    I reached out to you, but you paid no attention.
    25 You ignored my advice
    and rejected the correction I offered.
    26 So I will laugh when you are in trouble!
    I will mock you when disaster overtakes you—
    27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
    when disaster engulfs you like a cyclone,
    and anguish and distress overwhelm you.

28 “When they cry for help, I will not answer.
    Though they anxiously search for me, they will not find me.
    29 For they hated knowledge
    and chose not to fear the Lord.
    30 They rejected my advice
    and paid no attention when I corrected them.
    31 Therefore, they must eat the bitter fruit of living their own way,
    choking on their own schemes.
    32 For simpletons turn away from me—to death.
    Fools are destroyed by their own complacency.
    33 But all who listen to me will live in peace,
    untroubled by fear of harm.”

Now I can understand the part about when God draws the line...but I don't understand the laughing at those in trouble or mocking them. This seems very out of character for how God is described in the rest of the bible. I tried looking up a bible commentary on this but its not addressed...so I need some help with this one! thanks!

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Here is another passage that teaches the same thing:-

He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision. Ps 2:4 NKJV

What we so often forget is that God is a staggeringly righteous God who utterly hates sin and will pour out His holy and just wrath on all those who rebel against Him (ie everyone who does not repent) - the appalling wickedness of those in Prov 1 is that they spurned the correction of wisdom again and again and again - they thought they knew better than God - they thought they were wiser than Him - He is perfectly entitled to hold them in derision - the baffling thing is that He persisted with them for so long........

Comment

Ok well I understand that...but..to actually laugh and mock them? This doesn't seem like a very holy trait...I mean look...Jesus tells us to rise above our enemies...to not get back at them, to pray for those that mock us...to love them! To turn the other cheek. He sets a very high standard for us...then we read God does this? That just doesn't make any sense to me...

When I was a little kid my sister got into trouble for something she did to me and I thought it was funny and laughed at her...when my mom caught me I got into BIG trouble for laughing at her punishment! How can we be told to uphold a high standard then see God behave this way? As I said, this simply doesn't fit in with what the rest of the bible says about the character of God...and it directly conflicts with these passage:

Ezekiel 33:11
      Say to them: ‘As I live,’ says the Lord GOD, ‘I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?’

2 Peter 3:9-"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God bless
      "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Well dumb dumb me! I should have gone back and read Proverbs in content...you would think I would know better by now!

Proverbs 1
        The Purpose of Proverbs
        1 These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel.

2 Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline,
        to help them understand the insights of the wise.
        3 Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives,
        to help them do what is right, just, and fair.
        4 These proverbs will give insight to the simple,
        knowledge and discernment to the young.

5 Let the wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser.
        Let those with understanding receive guidance
        6 by exploring the meaning in these proverbs and parables,
        the words of the wise and their riddles.

7 Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge,
        but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
        A Father’s Exhortation: Acquire Wisdom
        8 My child, listen when your father corrects you.
        Don’t neglect your mother’s instruction.
        9 What you learn from them will crown you with grace
        and be a chain of honor around your neck.

10 My child, if sinners entice you,
        turn your back on them!
        11 They may say, “Come and join us.
        Let’s hide and kill someone!
        Just for fun, let’s ambush the innocent!
        12 Let’s swallow them alive, like the grave;
        let’s swallow them whole, like those who go down to the pit of death.
        13 Think of the great things we’ll get!
        We’ll fill our houses with all the stuff we take.
        14 Come, throw in your lot with us;
        we’ll all share the loot.”

15 My child, don’t go along with them!
        Stay far away from their paths.
        16 They rush to commit evil deeds.
        They hurry to commit murder.
        17 If a bird sees a trap being set,
        it knows to stay away.
        18 But these people set an ambush for themselves;
        they are trying to get themselves killed.
        19 Such is the fate of all who are greedy for money;
        it robs them of life.

Wisdom Shouts in the Streets

20 Wisdom shouts in the streets.
        She cries out in the public square.
        21 She calls to the crowds along the main street,
        to those gathered in front of the city gate:
        22 “How long, you simpletons,
        will you insist on being simpleminded?
        How long will you mockers relish your mocking?
        How long will you fools hate knowledge?
        23 Come and listen to my counsel.
        I’ll share my heart with you
        and make you wise.

24 “I called you so often, but you wouldn’t come.
        I reached out to you, but you paid no attention.
        25 You ignored my advice
        and rejected the correction I offered.
        26 So I will laugh when you are in trouble!
        I will mock you when disaster overtakes you—
        27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
        when disaster engulfs you like a cyclone,
        and anguish and distress overwhelm you.

28 “When they cry for help, I will not answer.
        Though they anxiously search for me, they will not find me.
        29 For they hated knowledge
        and chose not to fear the Lord.
        30 They rejected my advice
        and paid no attention when I corrected them.
        31 Therefore, they must eat the bitter fruit of living their own way,
        choking on their own schemes.
        32 For simpletons turn away from me—to death.
        Fools are destroyed by their own complacency.
        33 But all who listen to me will live in peace,
        untroubled by fear of harm.”

This isn't God speaking...passage where God speak always say so.

Verse 20. Wisdom crieth
        Here wisdom is again personified, as it is frequently, throughout this book; where nothing is meant but the teachings given to man, either by Divine revelation or the voice of the Holy Spirit in the heart. And this voice of wisdom is opposed to the seducing language of the wicked mentioned above. This voice is everywhere heard, in public, in private, in the streets, and in the house. Common sense, universal experience, and the law of justice written on the heart, as well as the law of God, testify against rapine and wrong of every kind.

I know people who are SO book smart but seem to have no common sense at all! They do the dumbest things then wonder why they got into trouble.

Still I want to dig deeper on this and find a clear meaning as to who Wisdom is? And why is Wisdom referred to a she? If this were the Holy Spirit He would be referred to as a He, not a she.

God bless

Comment

Ok I looked up what a proverb is..its not to be taken literally...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proverb

A proverb (from the Latin proverbium), also called a byword, is a simple and concrete saying popularly known and repeated, which expresses a truth, based on common sense or the practical experience of humanity. They are often metaphorical. A proverb that describes a basic rule of conduct may also be known as a maxim. If a proverb is distinguished by particularly good phrasing, it may be known as an aphorism.

Proverbs are often borrowed from similar languages and cultures, and sometimes come down to the present through more than one language. Both the Bible (Book of Proverbs) and medieval Latin have played a considerable role in distributing proverbs across Europe, although almost every culture has examples of its own.

So 'wisdom' is not a person or diety, or even a spirit..its nothing more then an expression. Every scriptures where God actually speaks says so...this does not say, "God said" anywhere.

Here is a link to bible gateway..an online bible search that shows all the verses where God actually did speak.

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/...=yes&bookset=1

Well I have to say I am relieved about this as it just did not fit in with the character of God.

What is the Bible?
          The Bible contains many different styles of writing such as poetry, narration, fiction, history, law, and prophecy and must be interpreted in context of those styles. It is the source of the Christian religion in that the Bible contains the words of God and how the Christian is to apply the words of God to his life.

At any rate I am glad I did this thread...maybe it will be helpful for others that run into this also.

God bless

Comment

You got it. Wisdom mocks us sometimes. Ever had the thought "Man I should have done this instead of that". Well, too late now.
            Matt 9:13
            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
            NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
              You got it. Wisdom mocks us sometimes. Ever had the thought "Man I should have done this instead of that". Well, too late now.
              More often then I care to admit...like my original post and NOT reading that passage in content!!!!

God bless

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
                More often then I care to admit...like my original post and NOT reading that passage in content!!!!

God bless
                On the other hand, there are some things about God that are hard to swallow. For instance, the rich man lifted up his eyes in hell and saw Abraham and Lazarus. That ought to clue us in to how God will deal with the lost man. That is a constant reminder of what could have been and could be seen as mocking.
                13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                NASU

Comment

I'm glad you got it. I was going to post the conclusion you came to but as I continued to read, you got it! As for Psalm 2, there is a laugh that is not mocking but is more like pity. Being put into derision simply means that you would be put into a place where you would be mocked. It doesn't say that He will be the one mocking you.

God Bless!
                  II Timothy 2:15
                  Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
                  Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

On the other hand, there are some things about God that are hard to swallow. For instance, the rich man lifted up his eyes in hell and saw Abraham and Lazarus. That ought to clue us in to how God will deal with the lost man. That is a constant reminder of what could have been and could be seen as mocking.
                    I don't see that as mocking...and it was Abraham was who the rich man was looking at, not God...on top of it the rich man kept up with his arrogance by asking Lazarus be sent to give him a drop of water as if he needed to serve this rich man. (did a bible study on this once). Isn't that how it will be with those that end up in hell? What lands them there besides obvious sin...their pride and arrogance. I image that won't change much no matter how 'tormented' they are.

Studyin'2Show I'm glad you got it. I was going to post the conclusion you came to but as I continued to read, you got it! As for Psalm 2, there is a laugh that is not mocking but is more like pity. Being put into derision simply means that you would be put into a place where you would be mocked. It doesn't say that He will be the one mocking you.

God Bless!
                    You know I have been doing this for years and this is the first time I had this passage presented and the person posting it said, see here, God is mocking and laughing at those that turn away from Him. He is nice to those that accept Him but cruel to those that don't. That is the usual atheist viewpoint. But this was a passage I hadn't seen before and briefly it threw me off as I pointed out in my second post..this goes against the whole character of God we see in the bible PLUS why expect us to meet this higher standard Jesus set for us but yet God not even meeting that standard. Its no different then me telling my son to treat everyone with respect, then him seeing me be rude to someone.

As they say, actions speak louder then words and God as our Father, sets that standard for us. So I am relieved, yes, I figured this out...but feel stupid for not reading it in content in the first place! That is usually my first rule I always follow when engaging a nonbeliever...well even a believer..anyone that asks about a passage in the bible and here I went and forgot! ugh.

Oh and yea I realize Psalm is poetry and not to be taking literally in all things...like God having wings...lol.

God bless

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
                      I don't see that as mocking...and it was Abraham was who the rich man was looking at, not God...on top of it the rich man kept up with his arrogance by asking Lazarus be sent to give him a drop of water as if he needed to serve this rich man. (did a bible study on this once). Isn't that how it will be with those that end up in hell? What lands them there besides obvious sin...their pride and arrogance. I image that won't change much no matter how 'tormented' they are.
                      But he is constantly reminded of what could have been. He saw the man that sat at his gate each day, that knew the truth, and yet the rich man would not speak to him. Each day he passed his opportunity for eternal life. Each day the Lord desired to speak to him. Each day... and yet, he can see now the comfort that he will never enjoy. Being in great torment, he begs for one drop of water and is being constantly reminded of what could of been... all the while having no hope that anything will ever change. Wisdom laughs at his folly and mocks him each day. Constantly he sees what wisdom would have done and yet is reminded he didn't do it, and is in both physical and emotional pain as a result. All without hope, yet knowing, it did not have to be this way...
                      NASU

Comment

24 thousand +posts! You must have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by now Moonglow!

If God is nice to those who believe then why does the rain fall on the wicked as well as the righteous? Why does He chastise those He loves?
                        Why will the believer suffer many things in this life?
                        I know everything I just can't remember any of it.
                        Non est ad astra mollis e terris via

Comment

But he is constantly reminded of what could have been. He saw the man that sat at his gate each day, that knew the truth, and yet the rich man would not speak to him. Each day he passed his opportunity for eternal life. Each day the Lord desired to speak to him. Each day... and yet, he can see now the comfort that he will never enjoy. Being in great torment, he begs for one drop of water and is being constantly reminded of what could of been... all the while having no hope that anything will ever change. Wisdom laughs at his folly and mocks him each day. Constantly he sees what wisdom would have done and yet is reminded he didn't do it, and is in both physical and emotional pain as a result. All without hope, yet knowing, it did not have to be this way...
                          Makes sense. Although I think he now mocks himself for his own lack of wisdom. Yet God does mock those who think more highly of themselves than they ought to. The Kings of the Earth. Those who trust in their riches. Yet simultaneously He Loves them and desires their change of heart.

No one goes to hell accidently. This parable is a picture of the only chance we have to get in on the Great Gift of God, Jesus the Christ. It is a picture of the finality of eternity. A Picture of how even one who returns from the grave is not enough evidence for the fools who deny their Creator.
                          I know everything I just can't remember any of it.
                          Non est ad astra mollis e terris via

Comment

I think we ought to be careful in stating the Psalm and Prov ought not be taken literally. these are the words God chose to put here...not confusious proverbs, or anothers, but Soloman and David and others whom he spoke through. I think we also get caught up in English translations and not the true Greek form of the word. were love has 4 meanings in Greek, we only have one word for it.
                            Moon you are right to study deeper as the usaved is used by the Enemy to catch us up in the literal words to be used against us no matter what. but litteral translations even if they are correct, when taken out of context can be damning to the word of God. Which in itself is contradictory.

Comment

Originally posted by DrRoi View Post
                              24 thousand +posts! You must have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by now Moonglow!

If God is nice to those who believe then why does the rain fall on the wicked as well as the righteous? Why does He chastise those He loves?
                              Hey! Its DrRoi!!! Yahoo!

Where have you been...you have been gone so long I figured I wouldn't see you again until I got to the pearly gates...

Now you gotta PM me and tell me what you have been up too...last time I talked to you, your computer had fired...(that is why getting dust out of the tower is helpful...)

So nice to see you!

Good point! If we had it so easy and the unbelievers saw this, they would all want to join up!

God bless

Comment

Working...
                              X