No announcement yet.

What do you think of a church in a bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of a church in a bar?

Recently, my fellowship at Penn State University has started a new church in a bar downtown called the Phyrst. We have named our church the "Phyrst Church" because it hearkens back to the first century church. What do you think? It has met a lot of criticism by people who have not attended because "a bar is no place to hold a worship service." We disagree by saying a bar is exactly the place to be holding a worship service... by taking it to the people.

What do you think?
    I think it's a great idea!
    26.32%
    A bar is no place to hold a worship service!
    65.79%
    I don't know what I think.
    7.89%

Do the people that started this church drink at this bar along with everyone else?
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

And of 1 Corinthians 5? And of being above reproach?

Comment

If people are drinking during the service, it is disrespectful to say the least. I wouldn't hold a church service in a crack house, and really there's no difference.

However, if nobody is getting drunk during the service I don't think there's a problem - though personally I'm rather uncomfortable with the idea, for the reasons Xel-naga hints at.
        Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Church in a Pool Hall

We opened Open Arms Outreach Ministries in Elkin NC in a former Pool Hall, we opened Jan 6th this year with 3 small families and today we have over 70 enrolled.
          Just a thought, Where two or three are gathered in His name He will be there too

Pastor Rodney

www.openarmsoutreachministries.com

Comment

re:

Originally posted by karenoka27 View Post
            Do the people that started this church drink at this bar along with everyone else?
            Yes, people, including the preacher, drink but it is not a requirement and no one is getting drunk. The bar has actually trusted us enough to allow those under 21 years of age in the bar provided they do not drink alcohol and sit in a place away from the bar itself.

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
              If people are drinking during the service, it is disrespectful to say the least. I wouldn't hold a church service in a crack house, and really there's no difference.

However, if nobody is getting drunk during the service I don't think there's a problem - though personally I'm rather uncomfortable with the idea, for the reasons Xel-naga hints at.
              And to respond to this, I'm certainly not opposed to holding a worship service in a crack house, however those are decidedly more difficult to find and because crack is illegal, I doubt we would condone participation by anyone.

Comment

Sounds like more seeker-sensitive madness to me.
                My Blog

Comment

Seeker-sensitive in which way? Are you for or against?

Comment

Actually drinking during the service is a very bad idea. People with drink problems come to bars. What about causing your brother to stumble through your drinking? Maybe the pastor doesn't have a problem, but what about the clientel? You are normalising drinking. I'm not saying that Christians should never drink, but I would have thought that during some kind of service it's a really bad idea.
                    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

re:

This is a very good point, daughter, and I should have clarified. This bar is in a college town and is frequented by college students. Alcohol is flowing through the veins of the vast majority of people anyway and alcohol does not in any way play a significant role in the service at all. We are just patrons of the bar who also hold a church service. Does that change your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by adamshell View Post
                        Seeker-sensitive in which way? Are you for or against?
                        Sharing the gospel with unbelievers in a bar is one thing. Worshiping the holy and righteous Lord of the universe in a bar is quite another. I can't fathom ever thinking such a thing is okay.
                        My Blog

Comment

I'm disappointed that the pastor would drink along with them. It's one thing to be a testimony among the people, but it's another to join in and do what they are doing.
                          .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                          .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                            And of 1 Corinthians 5? And of being above reproach?
                            Any reason this was ignored? The church 'service' is to be for believers, not unbelievers. There are 'tares' along with the 'wheat', that's to be expected, and a portion of the service needs to be directed at those 'tares', but with that said, church is for believers.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                              Any reason this was ignored? The church 'service' is to be for believers, not unbelievers. There are 'tares' along with the 'wheat', that's to be expected, and a portion of the service needs to be directed at those 'tares', but with that said, church is for believers.

What Paul writes here talks about sexual immorality and then goes on to include:

"But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat." (v. 5:11 NIV)

The thing is, the people in our church are not drinking to excess, and the ones who might at another point of the week are not calling themselves brothers. We feel that we are bringing Jesus into the lives of these people just as Jesus went to places that were very questionable.

Comment

Working...
                              X