Legalism at it's finest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalism at it's finest!

I just had a conversation with a friend next door and I was shocked to hear that her church looks down on anyone who misses a church service. She told me it is considered a sin. This level of legalism is not new to me but it still strikes me as odd. On top of that her church doesn't believe in children playing sports or going out to eat on Sundays.

Just for conversation I would like to know everyone's thoughts on the subject. Like how many times a week the church is required to meet...etc. I have my own answers but I would like to pick some brains!

Well, I always heard it said that...

Those that love the church go to church on Sunday mornings.
    Those that love the pastor go to church on Sunday evenings.
    Those that love God go to church on Wednesday night.

Yep. We are in a volunteer organization and folks measure Godliness by church attendance. It's pure bunk. Jesus went to church 1 time a week, as was his habit. The early church met every day. Go how ever many times you want to go. Just don't forsake the assembly. It's certainly no measure of Godliness if one goes to 3 or more services a week or if one attends just 1 service a week.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

A friend of mine once said that there are no rewards in heaven for perfect attendance...I liked that.

I love going to church..I love sitting and listening to and about God's Word..but I can't always be there, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to heaven!

It's sad that churches would keep a record of such things or even use guilt to get people into churches...we should go because we want to be there!

Psalm 122:1-"I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
      .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
      .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
        Well, I always heard it said that...

Those that love the church go to church on Sunday mornings.
        Those that love the pastor go to church on Sunday evenings.
        Those that love God go to church on Wednesday night.

Yep. We are in a volunteer organization and folks measure Godliness by church attendance. It's pure bunk. Jesus went to church 1 time a week, as was his habit. The early church met every day. Go how ever many times you want to go. Just don't forsake the assembly. It's certainly no measure of Godliness if one goes to 3 or more services a week or if one attends just 1 service a week.
        I've never heard that quote before...now that's funny

It troubles me that people would set under that kind of teaching but I find that those who do let the preacher dictate to them what is right and wrong instead of getting in there and finding some answers to make sure everything that is being taught is lining up with scripture. I have been invited to this church before but I have never gone. Thank God for that!

Comment

Originally posted by 2 Peter 2:20 View Post
          I've never heard that quote before...now that's funny

It troubles me that people would set under that kind of teaching but I find that those who do let the preacher dictate to them what is right and wrong instead of getting in there and finding some answers to make sure everything that is being taught is lining up with scripture. I have been invited to this church before but I have never gone. Thank God for that!
          Oh yea, I grew up in that junk. Shoot, they hated TVs, public schools, pants on women and many other things. Even going to the county fair was frowned upon by some. I could go on and on but you get the picture.
          13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
          NASU

Comment

Originally posted by karenoka27 View Post
            A friend of mine once said that there are no rewards in heaven for perfect attendance...I liked that.

I love going to church..I love sitting and listening to and about God's Word..but I can't always be there, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to heaven!

It's sad that churches would keep a record of such things or even use guilt to get people into churches...we should go because we want to be there!

Psalm 122:1-"I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
            Another good quote...I like it too!

Comment

Oh yea, I grew up in that junk. Shoot, they hated TVs, public schools, pants on women and many other things. Even going to the county fair was frowned upon by some. I could go on and on but you get the picture.
              How do they reconcile it with scripture? Are you telling me that several hundred people can set and listen to those kind of things and never question it? Surely there are some Bible scholars there that know what is being taught is wrong.

Comment

How do they reconcile it with scripture? Are you telling me that several hundred people can set and listen to those kind of things and never question it? Surely there are some Bible scholars there that know what is being taught is wrong.
                Well, folks will say things like "Don't be like the world. The world does X so you should not." Or they will say something along the lines of "if you love God, you will give him all of everything including your time. Be here on Wednesday." "Loving God and your kids, you will not subject them to public school." Sometimes they will speak of respect. "Don't run in the church, this is God's house. Respect it." I could go on and on.

The language is manipulative. But keep in mind, the people sitting believe it too. So it's not just the preacher. It's the whole church that has a like mind.
                NASU

Comment

Well, folks will say things like "Don't be like the world. The world does X so you should not." Or they will say something along the lines of "if you love God, you will give him all of everything including your time. Be here on Wednesday." "Loving God and your kids, you will not subject them to public school." Sometimes they will speak of respect. "Don't run in the church, this is God's house. Respect it." I could go on and on.

The language is manipulative. But keep in mind, the people sitting believe it too. So it's not just the preacher. It's the whole church that has a like mind.
                  But does it ultimately boil down to lack of studying scripture and just listening to what someone else is telling them?

Comment

But does it ultimately boil down to lack of studying scripture and just listening to what someone else is telling them?
                    I know a man who practically memorized the scriptures and yet he was legalistic. How much of the scriptures do you think the pharisees knew?

It comes down to deception not lack of study.
                    NASU

Comment

I know a man who practically memorized the scriptures and yet he was legalistic. How much of the scriptures do you think the pharisees knew?

Very true!! They know scripture but they don't know scripture. This would be where I would say they have eyes to see but they are blind and they have ears to hear but they are deaf to the true meaning of scripture.

Not that I have it all figured out but I'm trying.

Comment

Very true!! They know scripture but they don't know scripture. This would be where I would say they have eyes to see but they are blind and they have ears to hear but they are deaf to the true meaning of scripture.
                        Exactly. It is close to bible worship. Searching the scriptures for salvation all the while missing that the scriptures are about the heart of God. Oh, they get salvation right. But they miss most everything else.
                        NASU

Comment

My response would be to tell this individual to show me where that particular sin is mentioned in the scriptures. It's simply NOT a sin, it's just a warning for the sake of the believer not to FORSAKE the assembly. Meaning, try not to miss gathering together with the saints because it will be difficult to maintain your walk. NO where in the bible does it EVER call missing church a SIN.
                          That sort of mind set always flabbergasts me, don't people read their bibles?
                          Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Saved7 View Post
                            My response would be to tell this individual to show me where that particular sin is mentioned in the scriptures. It's simply NOT a sin, it's just a warning for the sake of the believer not to FORSAKE the assembly. Meaning, try not to miss gathering together with the saints because it will be difficult to maintain your walk. NO where in the bible does it EVER call missing church a SIN.
                            That sort of mind set always flabbergasts me, don't people read their bibles?
                            It's not about reading the bible. It's about blindness. Look at the context of the verse...

Heb 10:23-26
                            23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more, as you see the day drawing near.

26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
                            NASB

They will tell you that God immediately talks about sinning after he talks about forsaking. Also, they will say if God says not to forsake the assembly then it is a sin to do so. They will then define forsaking the assembly as missing Wednesday night. Oh, now there are exceptions. If you have to work or are sick, that's OK. Because in your heart you want to be there. But if you skip Sunday morning church to go fishing, you have forsaken church that morning.

They know their bibles well. It's not about reading them. Like Jesus said of the pharisees, they search the bible.
                            NASU

Comment

Mark that's a good point..and how much Scripture do you think Satan knows? A lot I'm sure..he even tried to use it on Jesus!
                              Matthew 4:5-6-"Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone."

I'm sure Satan does all he can to manipulate Scripture...maybe he couldn't stop some from being saved, but he can sure try to make those that are, miserable about their choice..it's so sad. We have been called to a life of grace and mercy and yet some Christians find themselves in such bondage..to a church service nonetheless.
                              .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                              .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Working...
                              X