• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabbath

Are we suppose to keep the sabbath?

Originally posted by Love Child View Post
    Are we suppose to keep the sabbath?
    Not the one that is a day of the week but Christ is our Sabbath now.

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath:
    Colossians 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

No, we do not need to observe the Sabbath.

http://www.exadventist.com/Home/Sabb...3/Default.aspx
      sigpic

Comment

Make a polll
        The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
        God plants in our hearts
        to remind us
        there are better things ahead.
        -Holley Gerth

Comment

Originally posted by ACCM View Post
          Make a polll
          I agree. Most everyone's mind is made up and I really wonder how many folk out there reading these posts are open minded, truely studying in hopes of making an informed decision (as yet not formed in concrete). I have *many* areas of study that I'm undecided on but the Sabbath is not one of them. todd

Comment

This is something i have looked into with an open mind. It was very important to me to figure this out. I've had the discussion before with some people here, but a poll sounds like a good idea to me also !

I have been trying to upload a mp3 wich is done by a Messianic Jew wich explains the sabbath clearly. The upload keeps failing anyone wanting this can email me and i will send it to them. It taken from Ariel ministries my email is given on my website below for those interested.

Comment

sabbath

I do not keep the Sabbath on purpose. Just like I do not kill lambs when I sin, nor do I tithe agricultural products that have to be brought to the Temple in Jerusalem.

For those of you that want to keep the Sabbath, this is what God's Law says about it.

7 Things that the law tell us to avoid doing on Sabbath days:

We can not prepare food (cook or bake, Exo 16:23).
              We can not light a fire (Exo 35:3), so forget BBQs, if you want to keep the Sabbath.
              We can not buy or sell (Neh 10:31; Neh 13:15-19)
              We can not carry anything heavy (Neh 13:15-19, Jer 17:22-23)
              We can not travel (leave or enter a city, Exo 16:29; Neh 13:15-19; Act 1:12)
              We can not do any kind of work (Exo 20:10; Mat 12:5; John 5:17-18)
              We can not pay anyone to do those things for us either (Lev 25:6)
              Besides that, we also have to work 6 days a week, not 5 (Exo 20:9).

If you are going to do it, do it right.

Shalom

Comment

Sabbath

There is no DIRECT warning in the New Testament against violating the 4th commandment, i.e., “remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy”. There are many warnings against violating commandments # 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 but there is not one verse in the New Testament that DIRECTLY warns against violating commandment # 4. Y

You will never see in the New Testament any passage saying: Woe to those that break the Sabbath, or remember to keep the Sabbath day. But if you read the following passages you will see God saying things like that concerning the other commandments. Check it out.

TIMES IN THE NEW TESTAMENT THAT EACH ONE OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ARE REITERATED THROUGH DIRECT EXHORTATION OR DIRECT WARNING FOR THE BELIEVER…

Commandment # 1: Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Mark 12:29,32; Rom 3:30; 1The 1:9; 1Cor 8:4,6; Gal 3:20; Eph 4:6; 1Tim 2:5; James 2:19. Love the Lord your God (Mat 22:39; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27; 2Ti 3:4; Luke 11:42).

Commandment # 2: Stay away from idols. Acts 15:20,29; Eph 5:5; 1Cor 5:11; 1Th 1:9; Acts 17:16; Acts 21:25; 1Cor 6:9; 1Pe 4:3-4; 1Cor 10:7,14; 1John 5:21; Rev 2:14,20; Rev 9:20; Rev 21:8; Rev 22:15.

Commandment # 3: Do not take the name of the Lord in vain. Rom 2:24; 1Tim 6:1; Rev 16:9; Rev 13:6; Mat 12:31; Rev 16:9; James 2:7.

Commandment # 4: NOT ONE VERSE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

Commadment # 5: Honor your father and mother. Rom 1:30; 2Tim 3:2; Mat 19:19; Luke 18:20; Mat 15:4; Mark 10:19; Eph 6:2; Mark 7:10.

Commandment # 6: Do not kill. Mark 10:19; Mat 19:18; Luke 18:20; Rom 13:9; Rom 1:29; Gal 5:21; 1Tim 1:9; 1Pe 4:15; 1John 3:15; Rev 9:21; Rev 21:8; Rev 22:15.

Commadment # 7: Do not comit adultery. Mar 10:19; Mat 19:18; Luke 16:18; Luke 18:20; Heb 13:4; Mat 5:27; Gal 5:19; Mat 15:19-20; Mark 7:121; Mark 10:11-12; Rom 13:9; 1Cor 6:9.

Commandment # 8: Do not steal. Mat 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; 1Cor 6:9; Rom 13:9; Rom 2:21; 1Cor 6:9-10; Eph 4:28; 1Pe 4:15.

Commandment # 9. Do not lie. Mat 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Rom 13:9; John 8:44; Acts 5:3; Col 3:9; Rev 21:27; Rev 22:15.

Commandment # 10. Do not covet. Eph 5:3,5; Mark 7:22-23; 2Pe 2:14; 1Cor 6:9; Rom 13:9; luke 12:15; 1Cor 5:11; 1Tim 6:10; 1Tim 3:2; Rom 1:29; Rom 7:7; Col 3:5-6.

Commandment # 4 is the exception to this rule. There is not direct exhortation or warning in the New Testament telling us we should keep the commandment concerning the Sabbath. Why is that? Did God forget something? Some claim that Luke 23:56 and Heb 4 are examples of direct order to keep commandment # 4 but they are not. Luke 23:56 is a documentation of history just like Gen 21:4. It is not a direct exhortation like we see for the other commandments.

Shalom

Comment

That info is very similar to the article I gave the link for.

The article just goes into a lot of detail...it's really good. I think everyone should read it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Servant89 View Post
                    I do not keep the Sabbath on purpose. Just like I do not kill lambs when I sin, nor do I tithe agricultural products that have to be brought to the Temple in Jerusalem.
                    Those things aren't part of the ten Commandments but we still need The Sacrifice(Yahushua) in order for our sins to be forgiven and the third Temple is not built yet so those offerings are put on hold right now, the offerings will resume... read Zech. 14.

For those of you that want to keep the Sabbath, this is what God's Law says about it.

7 Things that the law tell us to avoid doing on Sabbath days:

We can not prepare food (cook or bake, Exo 16:23).
                    We can not light a fire (Exo 35:3), so forget BBQs, if you want to keep the Sabbath.
                    We can not buy or sell (Neh 10:31; Neh 13:15-19)
                    We can not carry anything heavy (Neh 13:15-19, Jer 17:22-23)
                    We can not travel (leave or enter a city, Exo 16:29; Neh 13:15-19; Act 1:12)
                    We can not do any kind of work (Exo 20:10; Mat 12:5; John 5:17-18)
                    We can not pay anyone to do those things for us either (Lev 25:6)
                    Besides that, we also have to work 6 days a week, not 5 (Exo 20:9).

If you are going to do it, do it right.

Shalom

Already got those covered, really isn't a big deal for a 24 hr period... it's actually really nice to have a rest/change of pace 1 out the 7 days of the week.
                    Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                    -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

Originally posted by Servant89 View Post
                      There is no DIRECT warning in the New Testament against violating the 4th commandment, i.e., “remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy”. There are many warnings against violating commandments # 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 but there is not one verse in the New Testament that DIRECTLY warns against violating commandment # 4. Y

You will never see in the New Testament any passage saying: Woe to those that break the Sabbath, or remember to keep the Sabbath day. But if you read the following passages you will see God saying things like that concerning the other commandments. Check it out.

TIMES IN THE NEW TESTAMENT THAT EACH ONE OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ARE REITERATED THROUGH DIRECT EXHORTATION OR DIRECT WARNING FOR THE BELIEVER…

Commandment # 1: Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Mark 12:29,32; Rom 3:30; 1The 1:9; 1Cor 8:4,6; Gal 3:20; Eph 4:6; 1Tim 2:5; James 2:19. Love the Lord your God (Mat 22:39; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27; 2Ti 3:4; Luke 11:42).

Commandment # 2: Stay away from idols. Acts 15:20,29; Eph 5:5; 1Cor 5:11; 1Th 1:9; Acts 17:16; Acts 21:25; 1Cor 6:9; 1Pe 4:3-4; 1Cor 10:7,14; 1John 5:21; Rev 2:14,20; Rev 9:20; Rev 21:8; Rev 22:15.

Commandment # 3: Do not take the name of the Lord in vain. Rom 2:24; 1Tim 6:1; Rev 16:9; Rev 13:6; Mat 12:31; Rev 16:9; James 2:7.

Commandment # 4: NOT ONE VERSE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

Commadment # 5: Honor your father and mother. Rom 1:30; 2Tim 3:2; Mat 19:19; Luke 18:20; Mat 15:4; Mark 10:19; Eph 6:2; Mark 7:10.

Commandment # 6: Do not kill. Mark 10:19; Mat 19:18; Luke 18:20; Rom 13:9; Rom 1:29; Gal 5:21; 1Tim 1:9; 1Pe 4:15; 1John 3:15; Rev 9:21; Rev 21:8; Rev 22:15.

Commadment # 7: Do not comit adultery. Mar 10:19; Mat 19:18; Luke 16:18; Luke 18:20; Heb 13:4; Mat 5:27; Gal 5:19; Mat 15:19-20; Mark 7:121; Mark 10:11-12; Rom 13:9; 1Cor 6:9.

Commandment # 8: Do not steal. Mat 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; 1Cor 6:9; Rom 13:9; Rom 2:21; 1Cor 6:9-10; Eph 4:28; 1Pe 4:15.

Commandment # 9. Do not lie. Mat 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Rom 13:9; John 8:44; Acts 5:3; Col 3:9; Rev 21:27; Rev 22:15.

Commandment # 10. Do not covet. Eph 5:3,5; Mark 7:22-23; 2Pe 2:14; 1Cor 6:9; Rom 13:9; luke 12:15; 1Cor 5:11; 1Tim 6:10; 1Tim 3:2; Rom 1:29; Rom 7:7; Col 3:5-6.

Commandment # 4 is the exception to this rule. There is not direct exhortation or warning in the New Testament telling us we should keep the commandment concerning the Sabbath. Why is that? Did God forget something? Some claim that Luke 23:56 and Heb 4 are examples of direct order to keep commandment # 4 but they are not. Luke 23:56 is a documentation of history just like Gen 21:4. It is not a direct exhortation like we see for the other commandments.

Shalom
                      Mar 2:27And He said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath:

Here we have Yahushua speaking of the Sabbath in he NT saying it was made "for" us, how could something that is for us be against us?
                      Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                      -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

Originally posted by diffangle View Post
                        Mar 2:27And He said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath:

Here we have Yahushua speaking of the Sabbath in he NT saying it was made "for" us, how could something that is for us be against us?
                        From the article......"The Sabbath was not offered to all the nations. It was given only to the nation of Israel. Look at Deuteronomy 5:1-15 which gives the commandments to Israel."

Notice that they, who were Jewish, were breaking the sabbath by picking grain and Jesus defended them.
                        sigpic

Comment

True, you will not find that. However, with careful study and reading the scriptures, what you will find, is that Yeshua in His entire time of Ministry tried to put the Sabbath in perspective to all, and especially to the Pharisees, in regards to what was allowed and what not on Sabbath.
                          He NEVER rescinded it saying it was obsolete either.

And if you read Acts, you will find quite a few accounts of the apostles keeping the Sabbath in a manner consistent with the scriptures of old.

Check it out!

Shalom,
                          Tanja
                          Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                          2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                          If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                          http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

From the article......"The Sabbath was not offered to all the nations. It was given only to the nation of Israel. Look at Deuteronomy 5:1-15 which gives the commandments to Israel."

Notice that they, who were Jewish, were breaking the sabbath by picking grain and Jesus defended them.
                            Well if you read the scriptures in context, you will see that even non Israelites were expected and given the Command to keep the Sabbath though it is a very broad statement and applies to all the Law.

Exo 12:49 There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who sojourns among you."

Num 15:16 One law and one rule shall be for you and for the stranger who sojourns with you."

As for the disciples to break Sabbath Law, That is a matter of perspective and understanding the Commandments of God, including the part where Yeshua said:

Mat 12:7 And if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless.

His disciples were hungered, enough to do what they did. This is the mercy of God, they didn't break the Sabbath, but they did what was necessary.

If a life was at stake, i would lift heavy objects or whatever on a sabbath. To preserve life and care for the wellbeing of another is not against the Commands of God to keep the Sabbath.

Shalom,
                            Tanja
                            Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                            2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                            If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                            http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

We must keep the Sabbath in spirit. How to do that is explained in Hebrews 3.

Heb 4:1-7

4 Therefore, let us fear lest, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you should seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard. 3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said,

"As I swore in My wrath,
                              They shall not enter My rest,"

although His works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has thus said somewhere concerning the seventh day, "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works"; 5 and again in this passage, "They shall not enter My rest." 6 Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience, 7 He again fixes a certain day, "Today," saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before,
                              NASB

Even from the beginning, the 7th day pointed to us entering God's rest. That is the Sabbath that we should all strive to keep.

As for what day to rest physically from work, here is a passage of scripture that will help with that decision.

Rom 14:3-6
                              4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and stand he will, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5 One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
                              NASB

We are told in other passages to judge those that are within the church for fornication and such. But here, we are clearly told not to go by another's convictions nor to allow ourselves to be controlled or judged by another. If you want to keep saturday as the sabbath, do so unto the Lord. If you wish to rest on Tuesday one week and Monday the next, do so unto the Lord. One man regards all days equal before the Lord and that is fine. Another sees some days as higher than others and that is fine. Whether one keeps the day or doesn't keep the day, he does so unto the Lord.

Spiritually, we all need to enter into God's rest by ceasing from our own on works. Physically, we need a day of rest. We don't have to confuse the two. The OT sabbath pointed to the rest in the Lord that we have in Spirit. Joshua showed us how to enter that rest when we conquer many of our spiritual enemies (i.e. sins that are in us).
                              Matt 9:13
                              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                              NASU

Comment

Working...
                              X