1 Tim 3:3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Tim 3:3

Is it a sin to drink wine and beer when desiring to be Bishop?

Originally posted by Love Child View Post
    No, a Bishop shouldn't be addicted or be a drunkard.

1 Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
    1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

4998 sophron {so'-frone}

from the base of 4982 and that of 5424; TDNT - 7:1097,1150; adj

AV - sober 2, temperate 1, discreet 1; 4

1) of a sound mind, sane, in one's senses
    2) curbing one's desires and impulses, self-controlled, temperate

1 Timothy 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

3943 paroinos {par'-oy-nos}
    from 3844 and 3631;; adj
    AV - given to wine 2; 2
    1) given to wine, drunken
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Is this a test questions? HA! I don't believe that most people when they are born again want to continue their old way of life if that means drinking all the time. Jesus provided the miracle of good wine at the wedding, yet it never says that Jesus took a drink of it. We know he gave us the example of wine and of bread to celebrate his life, death and recurection.
      I won't deny that I have had a drink at home with my son and husband when having mexican food. But this only once maybe every 6 or 7 months. I choose not to drink in public so that my Christian walk is not comprimised should someone come in the restaurant who knows me.
      And Christ said he would not drink wine again until he comes back for us. But I don't think that drinking by someone who plans on taking an office (Bishop, etc) should drink. They are expected not to drink and if caught if would not be prettey. So I would say it is best not to drink if you are planning on ministering/preaching/ etc.
      Last edited by servantsheart; May 3rd 2008, 06:49 AM. Reason: correction
      "MAY THE GOD OF YOUR HOPE SO FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING THROUGH THE EXPIERENCE OF YOUR FAITH THAT BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT YOU MAY ABOUND AND BE OVER FLOWING (bulling over) WITH HOPE."
      ROMANS 15:13 Amplified Bible

Comment

Originally posted by servantsheart View Post
        Is this a test questions? HA! I don't believe that most people when they are born again want to continue their old way of life if that means drinking all the time. Jesus provided the miracle of good wine at the wedding, yet it never says that Jesus took a drink of it. We know he gave us the example of wine and of bread to celebrate his life, death and recurection.
        I won't deny that I have had a drink at home with my son and husband when having mexican food. But this only once maybe every 6 or 7 months. I choose not to drink in public so that my Christian walk is not comprimised should someone come in the restaurant who knows me.
        And Christ said he would not drink wine again until he comes back for us. But I don't think that drinking by someone who plans on taking an office (Bishop, etc) should drink. They are expected not to drink and if caught if would not be prettey. So I would say it is best not to drink if you are planning on ministering/preaching/ etc.
        Preaching?!? I didn't read in the bible where a pastor could not have a drink, and by my memory I think a decon can drink, but not a bishop.

Comment

Preaching?!? I didn't read in the bible where a pastor could not have a drink, and by my memory I think a decon can drink, but not a bishop.
          Both can drink if it's responsible drinking and not abuse.
          (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

God's word does not tell us NOT to drink. It says to do so responsibly. I did not say A bishop over anyone else should not drink. I said I felt that people (in genreal) don't expect a person holding a spiritural office to drink and it would look bad if they did.
            "MAY THE GOD OF YOUR HOPE SO FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING THROUGH THE EXPIERENCE OF YOUR FAITH THAT BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT YOU MAY ABOUND AND BE OVER FLOWING (bulling over) WITH HOPE."
            ROMANS 15:13 Amplified Bible

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
              No, a Bishop shouldn't be addicted or be a drunkard.

1 Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
              1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

4998 sophron {so'-frone}

from the base of 4982 and that of 5424; TDNT - 7:1097,1150; adj

AV - sober 2, temperate 1, discreet 1; 4

1) of a sound mind, sane, in one's senses
              2) curbing one's desires and impulses, self-controlled, temperate

1 Timothy 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

3943 paroinos {par'-oy-nos}
              from 3844 and 3631;; adj
              AV - given to wine 2; 2
              1) given to wine, drunken
              Don't know about others thinking, but I've found or should I say seen that one who is not sober, alot of the time can be in a mood to strike out, to need money, are prone to brawl and alot of the time are covetous, more so than one who is sober. Anyway, don't know that has something to do with a being a Bishop or not.
              I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Originally posted by My heart's Desire View Post
                Don't know about others thinking, but I've found or should I say seen that one who is not sober, alot of the time can be in a mood to strike out, to need money, are prone to brawl and alot of the time are covetous, more so than one who is sober. Anyway, don't know that has something to do with a being a Bishop or not.
                Huh?

The word "sober" in that verse is not speaking about not drinking, that's why I included the definition.

Comment

All the bishops I know drink wine. All bishops I know are called from monasteries to be bishops. Some of the strongest beers and stinkiest cheeses were made by monastics (monks).

What, when and how you drink is viewed by others in different degrees. Discernment is key.

Comment

Huh?

The word "sober" in that verse is not speaking about not drinking, that's why I included the definition.
                    oops sorry! to drink to me is to not be able to curb impulses nor desires, or to be of sound mind (sometimes). To me, drinking is the opposite of sober. When people drink they become the opposite defination of sober. Whew! AN ny Wayyyyyyyyy!

Comment

oops sorry! to drink to me is to not be able to curb impulses nor desires, or to be of sound mind (sometimes). To me, drinking is the opposite of sober. When people drink they become the opposite defination of sober. Whew! AN ny Wayyyyyyyyy!
                      I think there is a difference between experiencing the early stages of alcohol effects and being drunk which I agree would affect a sober mindset. In that verse the being sober doesn't have the same modern meaning regarding drinking alcohol. One simply shouldn't be a drunkard ie: given to wine.

Comment

I think there is a difference between experiencing the early stages of alcohol effects and being drunk which I agree would affect a sober mindset. In that verse the being sober doesn't have the same modern meaning regarding drinking alcohol. One simply shouldn't be a drunkard ie: given to wine.
                        Well, I'll go with ya on that one. What is the role of a Bishop anyway? Is the modern day role of Bishop today different than what is referred to in the Bible? I'm not real clear on that.

Comment

Well, I'll go with ya on that one. What is the role of a Bishop anyway? Is the modern day role of Bishop today different than what is referred to in the Bible? I'm not real clear on that.
                          The role of a bishop today is the same as it has always been: a clergyman with jurisdiction over an area with presbyters and deacons serving under him at various congregations. A bishop's authority is different than that of presbyters and deacons as he has temporal authority over those serving under him (i.e.: presbyters and deacons) and spiritual authority to ordain and confirm in the faith.

Relative to drinking: (1) it is not a sin to drink; (2) any clergy may drink; (3) it is not necessarily a bad witness for a Christian to drink or be seen drinking; (4) it is a sin and a bad witness to become drunk; (5) it may be a bad witness to drink with, for example, someone you know to be an alcoholic (or drink with anyone where it may cause an occasion to sin); and, (6) it may be a sin and/or a bad witness to drink at a place where debauchery is occuring (i.e.: being seen drinking at a frat party).

Drinking is not even a borderline sinful activity nor does it, by its nature, have sinful overtones. It is simply not a sin.
                          “What Scripture doth plainly deliver, to that first place both of credit and obedience is due; the next whereunto is whatsoever any man can necessarily conclude by force of reason; after these the voice of the Church succeedeth. That which the Church by her ecclesiastical authority shall probably think and define to be true or good, must in congruity of reason over-rule all other inferior judgments whatsoever” ( Laws, Book V, 8:2; Folger Edition 2:39,8-14).

Comment

Originally posted by seamus414 View Post
                            The role of a bishop today is the same as it has always been: a clergyman with jurisdiction over an area with presbyters and deacons serving under him at various congregations. A bishop's authority is different than that of presbyters and deacons as he has temporal authority over those serving under him (i.e.: presbyters and deacons) and spiritual authority to ordain and confirm in the faith.

Relative to drinking: (1) it is not a sin to drink; (2) any clergy may drink; (3) it is not necessarily a bad witness for a Christian to drink or be seen drinking; (4) it is a sin and a bad witness to become drunk; (5) it may be a bad witness to drink with, for example, someone you know to be an alcoholic (or drink with anyone where it may cause an occasion to sin); and, (6) it may be a sin and/or a bad witness to drink at a place where debauchery is occuring (i.e.: being seen drinking at a frat party).

Drinking is not even a borderline sinful activity nor does it, by its nature, have sinful overtones. It is simply not a sin.
                            Oh, I was a Baptist and we didn't have Bishops.

Comment

I don't believe that it's a sin to drink wine, I think it's a sin to be drunk though.
                              Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
                              http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

Comment

Working...
                              X