Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Romans 2:12-16

Here it is for reference:

"12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges everyone's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares."

Does this mean people can get to heaven without Jesus Christ?

No it doesn't mean people can get to heaven without Jesus. These verses are on the basis of God's judgment. There is a judgment of each conscience. Good intentions alone, or faith without works, will not save. That'd be like religion without reality.

"By nature" (v14) people are inspired by and cooperate with God's grace. Therefore, good deeds are natural to us, whereas evil deeds are contrary to nature.
    The presence of God's law in our conscience condemns anything we do which is contrary to true human nature. Therefore, even Gentiles, people not under the law of Moses, those who do not know of Christ, have an internal law from God, the natural law written in their hearts, according to which God will judge them.

from the Orthodox Study Bible commentary

Comment

Originally posted by JoeChristian View Post
      Here it is for reference:

"12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges everyone's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares."

Does this mean people can get to heaven without Jesus Christ?
      This passage is comparing the gentile with the Jew. Among many things, It draws a distinction between burden of the O.T. law in the lives of each.

As a whole, it does not mean that people can get to heaven without Christ? There is an offshoot from the Calvinist doctrine that holds that God's selection or pre-destination that is referred to in Calvinism applies to certain Jews. Certain Jews are predestined to salvation. I have always held and preached that Jesus is the only way to salvation. I still preach this because it is truth. I must admit that I am entertaining the idea that there is a system of pre-destination ordained by God that is at work in the natural Jewish race. It is a long complicated doctrine that would have to be discussed in a thread of its own. There are many evangelical scholars who believe this doctrine, and will discuss it in private, though they would never admit to it in public. This system of predestination still acomplishes salvation through Christ. Even those Jews who did not recognize Jesus as the Christ, they still recognize Him in prophecy and eagerly await His advent. They have faith in Him, they are merely mistaken as to who He was or is. The only major scholar I know who will openly write of this doctrine is John Hagee. It has much merrit when studied in its entire state. It also perfectly bridges the gap between Calvin and Arminius.

Comment

Working...
      X