Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a sin for a Christian to break the Saturday Sabbath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a sin for a Christian to break the Saturday Sabbath?

Open to anyone who wishes to speak up

I have a hard time getting a clear answer on this for some reason.

My answer is no.

Your answer?
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

My answer is also NO. And the reason is that the 7th day Sabbath was given to Israel as a day of rest. It was first given to them when they were in the wilderness and manna was provided for them. God even provided extra manna for that day so they could even rest from getting food. He provided for them.
    I find odd that some who might say that Israel is no longer God's chosen people, try to keep the 7th day Sabbath. I'm speaking of Gentiles or Christians as your question asks.
    I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Comment

The answer is no if your Read Col 2:14-17

"14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."

We see here the Christ blotted out the handwriting which was against us, which was the OT... obviously since it couldn't take away sin and no one could keep it. He nailed it to the cross... Another passage that deals with this is 2nd Cor 3:7-11 So we see the OT is done away with... we no longer follow its teachings

With that being said we can eat what we want was are not held accountable for feasts, holydays nor the sabbath.

Does that mean we don't use the OT... thats not so we can steal study and read from it and learn from it a lot to gather from it... just its laws are no longer binding so we can eat pork, we don't have to be circumcised, we can work on the sabbath if we so choose, etc... The commands we follow today are those of Christ.

Hope that helps
        Isaiah 6:8 "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" We should always be willing to do God's bidding, seek ye first the kingdom of God.

I use Linux because I don't like Windows

Comment

I have a poll up that is very simular to this

Comment

learn the difference

Ten Commandments {Moral Law} and Ceremonial Law {the temporary law for sin offering "the ordinances)

The Ten commandment have never been called the ordinances,

Click here to learn the differences
            http://gdtr.topcities.com/life/chart.html

I also gave a sermon on this topic found here
            http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the_liv...the-Ordinances

What is it that defines Sin? What are we to repent of?

If the 10 Commandment's are done away with, {which you hear preached from behind the pulpit and we are told they were nailed to the cross} then there is no sin!

If there is no sin, what are we to repent of?

There only remains {1} answer!

Sense the 10 Commandments are done away with, then it is man's tradition that defines sin, THUS, no need for God, for man has declared himself above God.

People do not even know what they are to repent from!

They have no Idea what defines sin!

These people are not going to repent, they are listening to the lying preachers in the pulpits every Sunday morning, saying God's Commandments are nailed to the cross, they are done away with, NO they are NOT, It is the death penalty for breaking God's Commandments is what is nailed to the cross!

How does the Bible define Sin? 1 John 3:4 says that, “Whoever sins is guilty of breaking God's law, because sin is a breaking of the law.”
            So what defines Sin? God's Royal Law {His 10 Commandments} tells us what defines sin.

Minister D
            If you see people without a smile today, give them one of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post

My answer is no.

Your answer?
              Napal...... it is a case of following your heart ... not what others say..... it is something you can go on your knees for, and ask G_d to guide you
              The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
              God plants in our hearts
              to remind us
              there are better things ahead.
              -Holley Gerth

Comment

My answer is no.

Your answer?
                Do not believe what man says, believe what God's Word says, as the vastness of mankind is deeply deceived.

Minister D
                Last edited by Brother Mark; May 12th 2008, 11:06 AM. Reason: removed SDA links

Comment

Originally posted by Minister D View Post
                  Ten Commandments {Moral Law} and Ceremonial Law {the temporary law for sin offering "the ordinances)

The Ten commandment have never been called the ordinances,

Click here to learn the differences

What is it that defines Sin? What are we to repent of?

If the 10 Commandment's are done away with, {which you hear preached from behind the pulpit and we are told they were nailed to the cross} then there is no sin!

If there is no sin, what are we to repent of?

There only remains {1} answer!

Sense the 10 Commandments are done away with, then it is man's tradition that defines sin, THUS, no need for God, for man has declared himself above God.

People do not even know what they are to repent from!

They have no Idea what defines sin!

These people are not going to repent, they are listening to the lying preachers in the pulpits every Sunday morning, saying God's Commandments are nailed to the cross, they are done away with, NO they are NOT, It is the death penalty for breaking God's Commandments is what is nailed to the cross!

How does the Bible define Sin? 1 John 3:4 says that, “Whoever sins is guilty of breaking God's law, because sin is a breaking of the law.”
                  So what defines Sin? God's Royal Law {His 10 Commandments} tells us what defines sin.

Minister D
                  I see what you are saying here however the Bible is clear that they are done away with if not please explain 2nd Cor 3:7-11 and col 2:14-17... its quite clear.

I have people ask me well then if the 10 commandments are done away does that mean we can kill, steal, etc...?

The obvious answer is no... we now live under the commands of Christ we follow the NT those are how we define sin... if you go by the OT law then if you eat bacon you're in trouble my friend... also read Gal 5 if you try to bring back part of the old law you are a debtor to all of it start offering up bulls and goats...

Read John 13:34 and Matt 22:37 if you do those two commandments that pretty much has the entire 10 commandments wrapped up into two... save the sabbath with is no longer bound according to Col 2.
                  Last edited by Brother Mark; May 12th 2008, 11:06 AM. Reason: removed sda links from quoted area
                  Isaiah 6:8 "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" We should always be willing to do God's bidding, seek ye first the kingdom of God.

Comment

My answer is no.

Your answer?
                    My answer is also NO. But I do have to point-out that I believe it is important to understand why that particular commandment was given in the first place, and that is to let us know that we need to take some time-off to rest once a week.

You know the old adage "All work and no play..." I think that commandment was given with that idea in mind, now if I could only get my wife to understand that!
                    Give my good Reps to Him, Tell Him about my bad ones!

Comment

I did explain it, you simply did not view the chart

Minister D
                      Last edited by Brother Mark; May 12th 2008, 11:08 AM. Reason: removed SDA links

Comment

Originally posted by Minister D View Post
                        I did explain it, you simply did not view the chart

{edit: links removed by mod}

Minister D
                        I saw the chart however that does not explain 2nd Cor 3:7-11 which states the 10 commandments are done away.

"7But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: 8How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 9For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. 10For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth. 11For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious. 12Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: 13And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: 14But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ."

The only thing in the OT that Moses had which was written and engraven in stones was the 10 commandments... it was also the only time we see Moses face being covered via a veil... There is nothing else this passage could be talking about other than the 10 commandments unless something else was written and engaven in stone that I don't know about... What are you thoughts.
                        Last edited by Brother Mark; May 12th 2008, 11:08 AM. Reason: removed SDA links

Comment

I agree with minister D fully.

It's part of the ten commandments and to call it a ceremonial Law gives way to the excuse that it is no longer valid.
                          I see it as a moral Law, just as the rest of the 10 commandments that come after it, because it foreshadows the way things are supposed to be in God's Kingdom.
                          The Sabbath still awaits a fulfillment, and presently still is a shadow of things to come.

2Co 3:7 Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses' face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end,
                          2Co 3:8 will not the ministry of the Spirit have even more glory? IOW what the Spirit writes on a soft willing heart has more glory)
                          2Co 3:9 For if there was glory in the ministry of condemnation, the ministry of righteousness must far exceed it in glory.
                          2Co 3:10 Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it.
                          2Co 3:11 For if what was being brought to an end came with glory, much more will what is permanent have glory. IOW the Law written on the heart has more glory than the Law which was written on stone.
                          But it is the SAME LAW, not a different one, remember God does NOT change, and neither would His rules.

A better perspective on how to understand abovce verses is needed.

That which is done away is not the law itself, but rather how it is made manifest.

The law written on stone was a ministration of death, but the SAME Law written on willing flesh in the heart of a Believer is that which remains, and has more glory and gives life.

Shalom,
                          Tanja
                          Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                          2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                          If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                          http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
                            I agree with minister D fully.

It's part of the ten commandments and to call it a ceremonial Law gives way to the excuse that it is no longer valid.
                            I see it as a moral Law, just as the rest of the 10 commandments that come after it, because it foreshadows the way things are supposed to be in God's Kingdom.
                            The Sabbath still awaits a fulfillment, and presently still is a shadow of things to come.

2Co 3:7 Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses' face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end,
                            2Co 3:8 will not the ministry of the Spirit have even more glory? IOW what the Spirit writes on a soft willing heart has more glory)
                            2Co 3:9 For if there was glory in the ministry of condemnation, the ministry of righteousness must far exceed it in glory.
                            2Co 3:10 Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it.
                            2Co 3:11 For if what was being brought to an end came with glory, much more will what is permanent have glory. IOW the Law written on the heart has more glory than the Law which was written on stone.
                            But it is the SAME LAW, not a different one, remember God does NOT change, and neither would His rules.

A better perspective on how to understand abovce verses is needed.

That which is done away is not the law itself, but rather how it is made manifest.

The law written on stone was a ministration of death, but the SAME Law written on willing flesh in the heart of a Believer is that which remains, and has more glory.

Shalom,
                            Tanja
                            I have long thought that some people were getting the 10 commandments mixed up and confused with the 603 commandments for the Israelites - which of those, as you may know, where not ALL applicable to "everyone" - those depended on certain factors, and even today, are not all feasible.

Blessings.
                            "A text without context is a pretext."

Comment

I was inclined to believe in Sabbath-keeping when I was newly 'born again' if you will.

That hardly lasted long.

In any case, I think Paul is pretty clear about Sabbath-keeping. We have no business judging others based on keeping a Sabbath. I honestly can't see how keeping or not keeping a Sabbath does much to promote love, peace, humility, and purity, and whatever virtue you want to name.

However, if someone wants to keep it, that's between them and God. I won't judge them either, but to elevate Sabbath-keeping above virtues that even non-believers can respect and recognize does not seem reasonable to me at all and does not seem to match the spirit of the Gospel or the spirit of the NT writings which focuses on grace, forgiveness, and following after purity of heart versus wranglings about the letter of the law.

But don't take my word for it. I'm just saying from a more practical perspective and from being one who in the past went through severe depression because I was being taught to do this or that thing in order to be saved and many of the things I was not able to perform due to circumstances. So I am personally turned off by such arguments. I mean, it's not like life isn't already extremely complicated, especially when you throw the faith thing into the mix where not only do you have to deal with real life obligations but then you need to ever consider things you normally wouldn't have because of the Spirit working in you to do God's will versus doing your will when it violated his commandments.

Comment

Working...
                              X