The Wrath of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wrath of God

I figured this would be an interesting discussion to dive into. You hear many preachers today speak about how God's wrath has subsided because of what Jesus Christ did on the cross and that He no longer pours out His wrath or judges the wicked.

I personally do not believe this, but I would be interested to see what others believe on this topic.

This topic sparked my interest because of a biography program I watched on a very controversial and infamous atheist who eventually left this world via very undesirable circumstances.

Opinions?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

I'm with you...

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him (John 3:36)

pretty much says it all for me.

who was the athiest and what was the topic it sounds interesting ?

Comment

Its a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (Hebrews 10:31)

If only they would listen to the word of God. Some people will never accept it but in the end they will see its no joke !

man that brought Hebrews 10:31 alive !

Comment

Obviously that TV program was in err..... God is the same today yesterday and forever.... He does not change and YES He still judges the wicked and pours out His wrath as He sees it. He is Soveriegn and in control of all things. God the Father didn't change or back off as far as His judgements or wrath against the wicked because of the Cross.

For true believers there is 'chastisement' as a Christian... not 'wrath' As a father or mother chastises their children so God chastens those whom He recieves and loves. It's done so that the peaceable fruits of righteousness may be shown or yielded as that person continues their walk with Him.

The Scriputre refers to 'vessels' of wrath and 'vessels' of mercy.. these folks, are not 'tableware' you put on your kitchen table.. they are individuals. God endures with much longsuffering the 'vessels' of wrath. He could wipe them all out in the twinkling of an eye if He wanted.. He endures with much longsuffering these 'vessels' of wrath so that He might make known the riches of His glory upon the 'vessels' of mercy which He knew even before the foundation of this world.

If you peer into the Book of Revelation and look at the 'hour of temptation' that is to come upon the earth.. His wrath during this time is not held back or reduced.. It actually grows... culminating in the physical return of Jesus the Christ.

The Cross is the substitute wrath for the 'believer'... God laid the wrath that a lost unsaved sinner was to partake in , upon Jesus the Christ. He 'took' that for His children. It is Justification, Righteousness, Salvation, Redemption, and a Shelter for those that are Saved. For the unbelieveing its a stumblingblock or just downright foolishness. God's wrath still is upon them even though He went to the Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by ARCHER42 View Post
          Obviously that TV program was in err..... God is the same today yesterday and forever.... He does not change and YES He still judges the wicked and pours out His wrath as He sees it. He is Soveriegn and in control of all things. God the Father didn't change or back off as far as His judgements or wrath against the wicked because of the Cross.

For true believers there is 'chastisement' as a Christian... not 'wrath' As a father or mother chastises their children so God chastens those whom He recieves and loves. It's done so that the peaceable fruits of righteousness may be shown or yielded as that person continues their walk with Him.

The Scriputre refers to 'vessels' of wrath and 'vessels' of mercy.. these folks, are not 'tableware' you put on your kitchen table.. they are individuals. God endures with much longsuffering the 'vessels' of wrath. He could wipe them all out in the twinkling of an eye if He wanted.. He endures with much longsuffering these 'vessels' of wrath so that He might make known the riches of His glory upon the 'vessels' of mercy which He knew even before the foundation of this world.

If you peer into the Book of Revelation and look at the 'hour of temptation' that is to come upon the earth.. His wrath during this time is not held back or reduced.. It actually grows... culminating in the physical return of Jesus the Christ.

The Cross is the substitute wrath for the 'believer'... God laid the wrath that a lost unsaved sinner was to partake in , upon Jesus the Christ. He 'took' that for His children. It is Justification, Righteousness, Salvation, Redemption, and a Shelter for those that are Saved. For the unbelieveing its a stumblingblock or just downright foolishness. God's wrath still is upon them even though He went to the Cross.
          I appreciate the thoughts, Nobunaga and Archer.
          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

I agree with N. anad A. - God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Comment

I guess it depends what you consider wrath. Is wrath the natural consequences of our sinfull actions that's programmed into reality, or is it extra punishment on top of that?

When I hit rock bottom last year, it sure felt like G-d was wringing me out over the flames, but I only had myself to thank for it. In the end, I dodged more than a few bullets, and as time progresses there are still consequences to deal with. Is that wrath, or is that consequence, and is there a difference?

Comment

I think that the Wrath of God still exists to some extent. I don't believe that he acts the same as he did back in the old days of Israel.
                Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
                http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                  I figured this would be an interesting discussion to dive into. You hear many preachers today speak about how God's wrath has subsided because of what Jesus Christ did on the cross and that He no longer pours out His wrath or judges the wicked.

I personally do not believe this, but I would be interested to see what others believe on this topic.

This topic sparked my interest because of a biography program I watched on a very controversial and infamous atheist who eventually left this world via very undesirable circumstances.

Opinions?
                  What about Christians who've left this world via very undesirable circumstances?
                  For true believers there is 'chastisement' as a Christian... not 'wrath'
                  Archer42

Many people said that Hurricane Katrina was God's wrath poured out on New Orleans but there were over two hundred churches destroyed or damaged. Was it wrath for some and chastisement for others?

Or was it just a storm?

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                    What about Christians who've left this world via very undesirable circumstances?
                    What about them?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

What about them?

Were those undesirable circumstances due to God's wrath?

Comment

Judgment begins at the house of God, of which I am.

Comment

Were those undesirable circumstances due to God's wrath?
                          Why would they be?

Additionally, let me just go ahead and add that the intentions of this thread were not just for folks to come in and challenge others about their beliefs but also to state what it is they actually believe about the subject at hand as well.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Why would they be?

Additionally, let me just go ahead and add that the intentions of this thread were not just for folks to come in and ask questions to others about their beliefs but also to state what it is they actually believe about the subject at hand.
                            OK, I believe that the wages of sin is death, for Christians as well as atheists. Every sin has a direct consequence. If a Christian sins his consequences are exactly like those of an atheist who sins. If a Christian cheats on his wife the consequences will be exactly like those of an atheist who cheats on his wife. Maybe even worse. An atheist who cheats on his wife may cause his kids to look for a better life. A Christian who cheats on his wife may cause his kids to become atheists.

Comment

OK, I believe that the wages of sin is death, for Christians as well as atheists. Every sin has a direct consequence. If a Christian sins his consequences are exactly like those of an atheist who sins. If a Christian cheats on his wife the consequences will be exactly like those of an atheist who cheats on his wife. Maybe even worse. An atheist who cheats on his wife may cause his kids to look for a better life. A Christian who cheats on his wife may cause his kids to become atheists.
                              What Scriptures would you use to indicate these things, other than the Scripture stating that the wages of sin equals death?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X