Do you agree with this attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you agree with this attitude

I would like to present you a quote from p. 251 of the book "The gifts and Ministries of the Holy Spirit" that I found to be quite judgemental, albeit biblically supported. What is your opinion on this?

My wife and I witnessed a very interesting occurence in Puerto Rico. As we were preaching there, a missionary came by the church to visit. He stood during the service and, rather than preaching, gave his life's testimony. He said, "I was called to be a m issionary in India. While there, my wife fell in love with another man and left me. Now I am alone as I go out preaching the Word. I've come down here because I love you and I'm going to preach the Word to you. How glad I am to be with you"

The pastor of that church stopped him and said, "Sit back down. A man who can't control one little woman is surely not going to preach to my people. You can just go back to America" (Those people are called "natives", but they know how to operate their church)

The bible says that a deacon must be faithful in all things, the husband of one wife, ruling his children and his house well "For they that have used the office of a deacon well urchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in faith which is in Christ Jesus" (1 Tim 3:13) Deaconship is a good work. The Lord expects a deacon to be an example to the people of his church.
    I agree with the pastor, thats biblically supported
    7.14%
    I agree they shouldn't have let him preach, BUT a pastor should of been less rude while doing so
    7.14%
    I think they should have at least tried to hear more of his story before comming to conclusions
    14.29%
    Christ himself was abandoned! You can't reject someone for that
    71.43%

I don't know why, but I don't agree with it. Certainly at least one prophet had a ministry with Israel, and his wife Gomer was notorious.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Ya know how many Christian's I've met that broke at least one scripture from the Bible.... MANY (including myself) and many of them walk with Jesus and get used by God to do great things as they live in repentance. That pastor was wrong IMO.
      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Arkady.... IMO that article is misusing scripture, this seems to fit the Church doctrine of one I went to years ago.

That man should have been prayed for and a hedge of protection set about him to deflect the fiery darts launched in his direction.
        While it is true that politicians can use any word they want, we reply that language works only when those using it agree on what the words mean, and that the meaning of words cannot be unilaterally changed by someone without the agreement of others. -William Lutz

Comment

I wonder, was that man married before he became a Christian? If so, and if his wife was not a believer, scripture is quite clear in saying he was not at fault for not trying to keep the marriage together.
          We long to be known and we fear it like nothing else.
          Most people live with subtle dread that one day,
          they will be discovered for who they really are,
          and the world will be appalled.
          - Curtis, Brent and John Eldredge,
          The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God

The joy is not in hiding, the joy is in being found.
          - David Terry

My Testimony

Comment

It's possible the Apostle Paul was a divorce. Also, God is divorced from his bride, Israel.
            Matt 9:13
            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
            NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
              It's possible the Apostle Paul was a divorce.
              Where do you get that idea from?!?

Also, God is divorced from his bride, Israel.
              That's WAY controversial - he calls her His Bride shortly afterwards in Jeremiah, which confirms my view that "I had given her a certificate of divorce" means "I would have" - "I gave" would have been the correct grammatical tense, had it happened - God is saying He was entitled to - but stopped just short of doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                Where do you get that idea from?!?
                I have heard it said that the sect of pharisees he was a part of, required one to be married. Some have speculated that is part of the reason he wrote 1 Cor 7 the way he did.

That's WAY controversial - he calls her His Bride shortly afterwards in Jeremiah, which confirms my view that "I had given her a certificate of divorce" means "I would have" - "I gave" would have been the correct grammatical tense, had it happened - God is saying He was entitled to - but stopped just short of doing so.
                I knew it was controversial. But I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

Jer 3:8
                8 "And I saw that for all the adulteries of faithless Israel, I had sent her away and given her a writ of divorce, yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear; but she went and was a harlot also.
                NASB

Finally, the scripture in James, IMO, speaks more of bigamy or polygamy than it does of divorce.
                13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                  I would like to present you a quote from p. 251 of the book "The gifts and Ministries of the Holy Spirit" that I found to be quite judgemental, albeit biblically supported. What is your opinion on this?
                  He's confusing the difference between elders and deacons and a simple evangelist. The guy is a preacher, not an elder (bishop or pastor) of a congregation.

[CENTER][SIZE=2]A FEW MINUTES WITH SOMEONE WHO LOVES YOU

Comment

I have heard it said that the sect of pharisees he was a part of, required one to be married. Some have speculated that is part of the reason he wrote 1 Cor 7 the way he did.
                    So when he said that he wished that all men were as he was, he wished that all married men were divorced?!?! Sounds pretty contradictory to his teaching there and in Rom 7!

Finally, the scripture in James, IMO, speaks more of bigamy or polygamy than it does of divorce.
                    Which scripture would that be, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt14 View Post
                      He's confusing the difference between elders and deacons and a simple evangelist. The guy is a preacher, not an elder (bishop or pastor) of a congregation.
                      Good point - the pastor of that church really had a bad attitude - I'm guessing either his wife was a doormat or he made SURE she submitted to him - know what I'm saying?

Comment

So when he said that he wished that all men were as he was, he wished that all married men were divorced?!?! Sounds pretty contradictory to his teaching there and in Rom 7!
                        Come now Nigel, you know full well he was speaking of being single and not speaking of divorce. Maybe I can say that scripture should be taken to be that Paul wished all men to be chiefest of sinners since he was that too.

Which scripture would that be, then?
                        Oops. Did I say James? I meant timothy.

1 Tim 3:2-3
                        2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, uncontentious, free from the love of money.
                        NASB

The same for deacons, etc.
                        NASU

Comment

Come now Nigel, you know full well he was speaking of being single and not speaking of divorce.
                          Exactly - which is why I don't think the "Paul may have been divorced" idea can work at all.

Maybe I can say that scripture should be taken to be that Paul wished all men to be chiefest of sinners since he was that too.
                          Well, Paul did say that he wished that all men would be just as he was - apart from his chains - so maybe he thought they should have the same self-deprecating mindset as he had.

Oops. Did I say James? I meant timothy.

1 Tim 3:2-3
                          2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, uncontentious, free from the love of money.
                          NASB

The same for deacons, etc.
                          I reckon it's both - if someone is remarried, in God's eyes they're a bigamist.

Comment

Exactly - which is why I don't think the "Paul may have been divorced" idea can work at all.
                            It's a possibility from history. That passage does not nullify the possibility. Paul was a member of the Sanhedrin. Research out the requirements for being a member.

I reckon it's both - if someone is remarried, in God's eyes they're a bigamist.
                            I would have to disagree with you on that one partner. It takes two folks to keep a marriage going. When an unbeliever leaves, Paul taught that the believer was no longer in bondage, i.e. they were free from the marriage.
                            NASU

Comment

It's a possibility from history. That passage does not nullify the possibility.
                              But the logical conclusion would be that Paul would wish not only that single folk remained single but that married folk would become divorced like him!

I would have to disagree with you on that one partner. It takes two folks to keep a marriage going. When an unbeliever leaves, Paul taught that the believer was no longer in bondage, i.e. they were free from the marriage.
                              I'm guessing you've read the remarriage threads as much as I have? That idea, although hugely popular in Protestant circles (and something I believed for 25 years), actually contradicts what Paul says elsewhere in that chapter and in Rom 7, where he clearly talks about marriage being binding for LIFE. "Bound" in that pasrt of 1 Cor 7 means "not bound to stay with the unbelieving partner regardless" - because God has called usa to peace and to try to keep that marriage going could be the source of a great deal of strife - but the believing spouse is NOT to instigate the divorce proceedings but rather allow the unbelieving spouse to do so - so that they will not be sinning - but there is nothing there (or elsewhere) to say that remarriage is ever permissible.

Comment

Working...
                              X