Still Under the Ten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Under the Ten?

I've noticed here on several occasions that folks distinguish between the law of Moses and the Ten Commandments and say that one is passed away and the other is eternal. My question is where do folks get this belief?

Why are we not under the law of Moses but we are under the Ten Commandments?

I agree that the law is still very much active today, but it is of my opinion that a born again believer is not under ANY of the old law . . . including the Ten Commandments.

Opinions?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Count me as one that makes that distinction. When God said in Hebrews, that he would write his law into our hearts, I believe it was the 10 that he wrote. Paul, when writing to Galatians spoke of the Law being summed up in one word, Love.

Rom 13:8-10

8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. 9 For this, "You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
    NASB

We fulfill the law in the same way Christ did, through love. And...

Gal 5:13-15

13 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, " You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 15 But if you bite and devour one another, take care lest you be consumed by one another.
    NASB

Jesus is our example and we follow Him. We too can fulfill the law that is in us. Love is the law of Christ, which is the 10.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
      Count me as one that makes that distinction. When God said in Hebrews, that he would write his law into our hearts, I believe it was the 10 that he wrote. Paul, when writing to Galatians spoke of the Law being summed up in one word, Love.

Rom 13:8-10

8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. 9 For this, "You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
      NASB

We fulfill the law in the same way Christ did, through love. And...

Gal 5:13-15

13 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, " You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 15 But if you bite and devour one another, take care lest you be consumed by one another.
      NASB

Jesus is our example and we follow Him. We too can fulfill the law that is in us. Love is the law of Christ, which is the 10.
      I agree that we have a law written on our hearts, but does that mean that we are under law?

It is of my opinion that you can't be both under the law and dead to it at the same time.
      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
        I agree that we have a law written on our hearts, but does that mean that we are under law?

It is of my opinion that you can't be both under the law and dead to it at the same time.
        I understand what you are saying. But look at what Jesus said in Matthew.

Matt 5:17-18

17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished.
        NASB

He said he would not abolish the law. Then he does something very, very interesting. He starts showing the Law of God to be an issue of the heart and He starts contrasting the law of Moses with the Law of God.

First... Thou shalt not murder - law of God is all about love.

Matt 5:21-26

21 "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'You shall not commit murder' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' 22 "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever shall say to his brother, 'Raca,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever shall say, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. 23 "If therefore you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your offering there before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering. 25 "Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, in order that your opponent may not deliver you to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 "Truly I say to you, you shall not come out of there, until you have paid up the last cent.
        NASB

Next... adultery can be done in the heart.

Then... contrasting law of Moses with Law of God.

Matt 5:38-39

38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 "But I say to you, do not resist him who is evil; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.
        NASB

Moses wrote "an eye for an eye" but Jesus said "turn the other cheek". It was HUGE. Then we go back to the first of the Sermon and understand that Jesus said the Law would not pass away until heaven and earth passed away. But he was basically saying here (Matt 5:38-39), that the law of God trumped the law of Moses.

Now to your question about being under the law. Here is what Paul wrote. Notice too that he made a distinction between the different laws.

1 Cor 9:20-21
        20 And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law, though not being myself under the Law, that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, that I might win those who are without law.
        NASB

He said that when he was with Jews, he kept the law of Moses. When he was with Gentiles, he acted as though he was not under the law. Yet, he was not without the law of God but under the law of Christ. The law of Christ is love which is the 10.
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

are they not the same? maybe I am bit confused by what you are saying.

Comment

Matt 5:17-18

17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished.
            NASB

He said he would not abolish the law. Then he does something very, very interesting. He starts showing the Law of God to be an issue of the heart and He starts contrasting the law of Moses with the Law of God.
            Oh, I definitely agree that He did not abolish the law. However, I do not agree that Jesus was "contrasting" the law of Moses with the Law of God but rather correcting false teaching about the law.

First... Thou shalt not murder - law of God is all about love.

Matt 5:21-26

21 "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'You shall not commit murder' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' 22 "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever shall say to his brother, 'Raca,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever shall say, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. 23 "If therefore you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your offering there before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering. 25 "Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, in order that your opponent may not deliver you to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 "Truly I say to you, you shall not come out of there, until you have paid up the last cent.
            NASB

Next... adultery can be done in the heart.

Then... contrasting law of Moses with Law of God.
            Is He contrasting or just giving a deeper understanding instead of just what is on the surface? Even Moses' law was about loving your neighbor and so on. You can look at the Ten Commandments on the surface just as you can the law of Moses. One can look at the commandment not to murder and say that they shouldn't go kill anyone. That's one of the Ten. However, Jesus is saying that there is something much deeper than just the commandment stating not to murder. He's stating that the actual act of breaking one of those Ten Commandments began long before it was carried out when the person allowed hatred for their brother to form in their heart.

Matt 5:38-39

38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 "But I say to you, do not resist him who is evil; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.
            NASB

Moses wrote "an eye for an eye" but Jesus said "turn the other cheek". It was HUGE. Then we go back to the first of the Sermon and understand that Jesus said the Law would not pass away until heaven and earth passed away. But he was basically saying here (Matt 5:38-39), that the law of God trumped the law of Moses.
            See, I don't view this as contrasting the law of God with the law of Moses but rather giving a correct teaching of a law that had been applied in error. I do not believe the law of Moses ever intended for a person to be able to use the "eye for an eye" law as personal vindication, but rather this law was given for judgment by those placed in authority to judge.

Now to your question about being under the law. Here is what Paul wrote. Notice too that he made a distinction between the different laws.

20 And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law, though not being myself under the Law, that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, that I might win those who are without law.
            NASB

He said that when he was with Jews, he kept the law of Moses. When he was with Gentiles, he acted as though he was not under the law. Yet, he was not without the law of God but under the law of Christ. The law of Christ is love which is the 10
            You see, I don't view that as Paul saying he was under the Ten Commandments but rather a greater law that encompassed the heart of the Ten Commandments.

In other words, Paul is not saying that he is under the Ten Commandments but rather something much greater. I believe Paul is walking "in the beginning".

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Oh, I definitely agree that He did not abolish the law. However, I do not agree that Jesus was "contrasting" the law of Moses with the Law of God but rather correcting false teaching about the law.
              Yea. I agree with that too.

Is He contrasting or just giving a deeper understanding instead of just what is on the surface? Even Moses' law was about loving your neighbor and so on. You can look at the Ten Commandments on the surface just as you can the law of Moses. One can look at the commandment not to murder and say that they shouldn't go kill anyone. That's one of the Ten. However, Jesus is saying that there is something much deeper than just the commandment stating not to murder. He's stating that the actual act of breaking one of those Ten Commandments began long before it was carried out when the person allowed hatred for their brother to form in their heart.
              Jesus started out showing the deeper meaning of the 10. That's what I was trying to say.

See, I don't view this as contrasting the law of God with the law of Moses but rather giving a correct teaching of a law that had been applied in error. I do not believe the law of Moses ever intended for a person to be able to use the "eye for an eye" law as personal vindication, but rather this law was given for judgment by those placed in authority to judge.
              You are right about that. Romans 13 covers the government. But he was contrasting those here. In other places he speaks of divorce and how Moses gave that law because of the hardness of their hearts. But the point is, God was drawing a distinction in the passage in Matt 5 between the law of Moses that governed a nation and the Law of God that governed the individual. One was a regulation of the covenant, the other is not. Israel was in covenant with God and the laws of Moses were what regulated the covenant. The laws of God predated Sinai. Let me give a contemporary example, it is against the law for us to drink alcohol before we are 21 in my state. So, if I drink prior to 21, I have sinned against the government and therefor God. I broke his law in breaking of the governmental law. But when that governmental law is removed, I am no longer subject to it. Yet, God's law remains. It is permanent. I am still not to get drunk even if government says I can get drunk.

You see, I don't view that as Paul saying he was under the Ten Commandments but rather a greater law that encompassed the heart of the Ten Commandments.

In other words, Paul is not saying that he is under the Ten Commandments but rather something much greater. I believe Paul is walking "in the beginning".

And what happened in the beginning? Cain murdered and God intervened because "thou shalt not murder" was a law from the start. That's why I think it God's eternal law. Also, God established the Sabbath in the beginning when he rested on the 7th day. (You've probably seen my writings on that so I won't expound.)

Look at what God told Noah about what he could eat.

Gen 9:2-4
              3 Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. 4 Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
              NASB

But when Moses was given law, we got all the food laws, and other stuff.

So, in the beginning, we see evidence of the 10, but we don't see evidence of the laws of Moses. Those were instituted when God entered covenant with the nation of Israel.

What I am getting at is that which is eternal, not one jot or tittle will be removed from it till heaven and earth pass away. But the regulations of the covenant, they are gone. But we still live by the Spirit of those laws because God used them to reveal some things about the heavenlies. He used it to show us about the heavenly tabernacle, etc.
              NASU

Comment

See... one need read this because it important. Jesus did in fact do more than just "go deeper". Let's use the eye for an eye part as the example.

Here is the law itself according to the Law of Moses.

Leviticus 24:19 `And if a man injures his neighbor, just as he has done, so it shall be done to him:
                20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; just as he has injured a man, so it shall be inflicted on him.

Now... Jesus says, But I say unto you... turn the cheek. In other words... no more do unto others what they did unto you. We can go on about it being just deepened but you know... Jesus didn't just go deeper there because that Law written as is says what it says and Jesus says in essence... Moses says this BUT I say .... What Jesus said was a clear contrast.

Also look at another example.

Matthew 19:7 They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE AND SEND her AWAY ?"
                8 He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way.
                9 "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Here is where they get this from...

Deuteronomy 24:1 "When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house,
                2 and she leaves his house and goes and becomes another man's wife,
                3 and if the latter husband turns against her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her to be his wife,
                4 then her former husband who sent her away is not allowed to take her again to be his wife, since she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the LORD, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance.

Jesus makes it clear that Moses permitted it because of their hardness of heart... but that is something God never intended. So quite the contrast really if one looks at it for what it says. Adultery is the only rightful cause for divorce.

I do understand that all of this sort of kicks around some sacred doctrinal cows and I want to be careful here... but it is a little meat that needs chewed on for those that want to chew on some meat.

Visit our new website
                ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

I don't see how that passage in Leviticus could even be translated do unto others as you would have them do unto you. No matter how I try to read it I can't make it say that.

Comment

And what happened in the beginning? Cain murdered and God intervened because "thou shalt not murder" was a law from the start.
                    Actually, I'm referring to the VERY VERY beginning before there was sin. Adam knew no sin until he chose to disobey God, and before he disobeyed God there was no need for law. Law was added because of transgression. The law of Christ encompasses the heart of the Ten Commandments because when one walks the law of Christ there is no sin. In love there is no sin.

What I am getting at is that which is eternal, not one jot or tittle will be removed from it till heaven and earth pass away.
                    Not one jot or tittle will be removed, but those who are born again are dead to every jot and tittle.

But the regulations of the covenant, they are gone. But we still live by the Spirit of those laws because God used them to reveal some things about the heavenlies. He used it to show us about the heavenly tabernacle, etc.
                    And that is the point I'm trying to make here. If we are living by the Spirit of the law then it isn't some law engraved on stone that shows us our sin. If we are walking the Spirit of the law our heart has been transformed, and it is no longer a written code we are living by but rather a righteousness that comes from above. We have returned to "in the beginning" where there was no law.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Actually, I'm referring to the VERY VERY beginning before there was sin. Adam knew no sin until he chose to disobey God, and before he disobeyed God there was no need for law. Law was added because of transgression. The law of Christ encompasses the heart of the Ten Commandments because when one walks the law of Christ there is no sin. In love there is no sin.
                      That's why Paul summed up the law this way...

Gal 5:14-15
                      14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, " You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 15 But if you bite and devour one another, take care lest you be consumed by one another.
                      NASB

When one loves God and loves his neighbor, there is no sin. But even in the garden there was this law "Love me by obeying me and do not eat this tree". Even the beginning had the law of loving God and neighbor. And not to get sidetracked, but had Adam loved God and Eve, he would have offered himself for Eve to God as the second Adam did. So we see that Adam broke both the law of "Love God" and "love neighbor" which are explained in the 10.

Look at it this way, from the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. God spoke the 10 because they are in Him. I will agree with you in this, that he spoke them the way he did in order to reveal sin to us. Once we are under Christ, we move from "thou shalt not commit adultery" to "thou shalt love your neighbor as I have loved you".

Not one jot or tittle will be removed, but those who are born again are dead to every jot and tittle.
                      I hear you. However, lets look again at Corinthians.

NASB

I submit to you for consideration, that the law of God that Paul was not without, are the 10, and that the Law of Christ he is under, is the 10. But Jesus said "A new command I give you, as I have loved you so love you one another". The law of love is what breathed the 10 and encompasses the 10.

And that is the point I'm trying to make here. If we are living by the Spirit of the law then it isn't some law engraved on stone that shows us our sin. If we are walking the Spirit of the law our heart has been transformed, and it is no longer a written code we are living by but rather a righteousness that comes from above. We have returned to "in the beginning" where there was no law.
                      But there was law in the beginning. In the Garden, there was still law. "Do not eat of this tree". I think I explained that above. Now, I will say this, that the law of Christ writes the 10 differently. I already mentioned that we have moved from "thou shalt not" to "thou shalt". The 10 are used to show us how sinful we really are. When we move into Christ, they are written into our hearts of stone and our hearts are changed.
                      NASU

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                        See... one need read this because it important. Jesus did in fact do more than just "go deeper". Let's use the eye for an eye part as the example.

Here is the law itself according to the Law of Moses.

Leviticus 24:19 `And if a man injures his neighbor, just as he has done, so it shall be done to him:
                        20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; just as he has injured a man, so it shall be inflicted on him.

Now... Jesus says, But I say unto you... turn the cheek. In other words... no more do unto others what they did unto you. We can go on about it being just deepened but you know... Jesus didn't just go deeper there because that Law written as is says what it says and Jesus says in essence... Moses says this BUT I say .... What Jesus said was a clear contrast.
                        What is being said here, though, is that the teachings being applied were an errant application of what the law truly intended. The law never intended for you to grab a knife and jab out your neighbor's eye if your neighbor did something like that to you. It was a law for judgment by those placed in the authority to judge. However, this was not the teaching being taught by the Jews at the time Jesus addressed this issue. The entire sermon on the mount was about Jesus addressing false teachings and errant applications of the law.

Matthew 19:7 They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE AND SEND her AWAY ?"
                        8 He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way.
                        9 "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."
                        And this passage truly addresses my point. In the beginning there was no law because there was no sin. Likewise, since there was no sin and no lack of love there was no divorce.

Jesus makes it clear that Moses permitted it because of their hardness of heart... but that is something God never intended. So quite the contrast really if one looks at it for what it says. Adultery is the only rightful cause for divorce.
                        I disagree that adultery is a "rightful cause" for divorce, but that's another thread entirely. My point is that before Adam's transgression there was no law to be under. The law was added because of transgression. In the beginning there was only love, which is why there would be no divorce. The law of Christ was in the beginning. It wasn't the Ten Commandments that was eternal. It is the law of Christ that is eternal. The law of Christ encompasses the heart of the Ten. That is the Spirit of the law. Not a written code engraved on stone, but rather a matter of the heart that requires God's circumcision that cannot be done with hands.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

When one loves God and loves his neighbor, there is no sin. But even in the garden there was this law "Love me by obeying me and do not eat this tree". Even the beginning had the law of loving God and neighbor. And not to get sidetracked, but had Adam loved God and Eve, he would have offered himself for Eve to God as the second Adam did. So we see that Adam broke both the law of "Love God" and "love neighbor" which are explained in the 10.

Look at it this way, from the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. God spoke the 10 because they are in Him. I will agree with you in this, that he spoke them the way he did in order to reveal sin to us. Once we are under Christ, we move from "thou shalt not commit adultery" to "thou shalt love your neighbor as I have loved you".
                          Here's my point, though . . .

Before the fall there was no need for a law stating to "love the Lord your God with all your heart . . . " or "love your neighbor as yourself". Before the fall all that was a given. It wasn't until the transgression was made that the law came. And it wasn't until the law came that Adam died. Adam brought on the curse because of his disobedience. Before his disobedience there was no curse because there was no law. The law brings judgment. Without the law there can be no judgment. Therefore, if no sin is being committed there is no need for law. The law only came because of sin.

But there was law in the beginning.
                          I do not agree that there was law. The Word clearly states that the law was added because of transgression.

Galatians 3:19
                          What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

What is being said here, though, is that the teachings being applied were an errant application of what the law truly intended. The law never intended for you to grab a knife and jab out your neighbor's eye if your neighbor did something like that to you. It was a law for judgment by those placed in the authority to judge. However, this was not the teaching being taught by the Jews at the time Jesus addressed this issue. The entire sermon on the mount was about Jesus addressing false teachings and errant applications of the law.
                            Okay... let's start here.

Here is another verse saying the same when speaking of a false witness.

Deuteronomy 19:15 "A single witness shall not rise up against a man on account of any iniquity or any sin which he has committed; on the evidence of two or three witnesses a matter shall be confirmed.
                            16 "If a malicious witness rises up against a man to accuse him of wrongdoing,
                            17 then both the men who have the dispute shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges who will be in office in those days.
                            18 "And the judges shall investigate thoroughly; and if the witness is a false witness and he has accused his brother falsely,
                            19 then you shall do to him just as he had intended to do to his brother. Thus you shall purge the evil from among you.
                            20 "And the rest will hear and be afraid, and will never again do such an evil thing among you.
                            21 "Thus you shall not show pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Now... what does it say. How does this allow for the "spirit of the Law" to show mercy on someone? The spirit of this law is do to them what they did to another. No pity... just do it and thus you purge the evil among you.

One who followed this Law was in fact following the Law of Moses and following it rightly.

Take for example... the lady caught in adultery. Now... he who was without sin was brilliant. But the thing is.. the Law didn't allow for mercy even among one who has ever sinned. And then there was Jesus... even using His own words... Jesus was without sin. According to the Law... Jesus would have been totally right to stone her Himself. Instead... Jesus showed mercy and instructed her to go, sin no more.

So here we have it... eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, life for life... show no pity. Then Jesus says... BUT I say to you... if one strikes you on the cheek, turn to the other side. They want to sue you for your shirt... give them your coat too. Not sure how one doesn't see that as pretty much a total contrast of not just what was being "errantly taught" but what the Law itself actually makes right clear.

Visit our new website
                            ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                            "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

I'll get back to this in a bit, folks.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X