Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Adam sacrifice himself for Eve?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Did Adam sacrifice himself for Eve?

    John 5
    39You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me

    I often wonder about how much we are still not seeing in the scriptures pertaining to how Yahshua was foreshadowed in the writings of the Old Testament.

    It's interesting that He rebuked the pharisees and even the disciples for not recognizing things about Him that were written in the scriptures, even though there is nothing open or obvious in the OT writings that specifically state any details about Him, other than in types, shadows, and parables.

    It seems clear that Yahweh has chosen to communicate with man not in direct and specific and obvious terms, but in masked ways.

    One "type of Christ" that we know of was Adam. Paul said:

    1 Corinthians 15
    45So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being;" the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.


    One question that arises is: Did Adam deliberately sin and taste death.

    The scriptures do tell us that Adam was not deceived by the serpent, as Eve had been.

    2 Corinthians 11
    3But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning

    1 Timothy 2
    14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

    With that in mind, and knowing that scripture also tells us that Adam was a type of Christ, it seems to be that we can gather that Adam did in fact knowingly and willingly accept facing the consequences of his disobedience.

    We can look at some paralleles.

    We know that scripture tells us that Yahshua will be returning for His elect, who will be His "bride."

    Revelation 19
    7Let us rejoice and be glad
    and give him glory!
    For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
    and his bride has made herself ready
    .

    Well, what does scripture tell us that Christ did for His bride?

    Ephesians 5
    25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

    Giving Himself up for His bride was a willing act on His behalf. And what did He have to do to carry this out?

    Hebrews 2
    9But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

    Coming out of heaven (the garden of Eden represents heaven), Yahshua tasted death for His bride, sacrificing Himself on account of her sins.

    Is this not exactly what Adam did? The punishment for eating the forbidden fruit was death, a death that involved being removed from the garden.

    Yahweh said:

    Genesis 2
    18The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone.

    If Adam had not eaten the fruit, He would have once again been alone in the garden. So on behalf of his bride, he sacrificed himself and tasted death for her, to remain with her.

    Some may object that an analogy can not fit here with Christ because Adam sinned and Christ did not sin, but I would say that no type or shadow of Christ would be 100% concrete. And yet even in this case we can draw some scriptural parallels:

    Romans 8
    3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering

    2 Corinthians 5
    21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

    Yahshua willingly chose to leave heaven (the garden) in the likeness of sinful flesh, taking sin upon Himself, tasting death for the sake of his bride whose sin had caused her to face the punishment of not being allowed in the garden.

    If He had not willingly come and died in sinful flesh, there would be no hope for mankind to be saved, meaning that He would have had to spend eternity in heaven alone, with no bride, just as Adam would have had to remain alone in the garden without Eve.

    However, while Adam was not permitted to re-enter the garden with His bride, it is the work of Christ that will overcome Adam's shortfall, allowing a bride to be brought into the eternal heavenly garden, restoring what was corrupted in the beginning.

    Romans 5
    18Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.


    It is the righteousness of the Last Adam that nullifies the disobedience of the First Adam, allowing man to once again enter the TRUE garden, the eternal heavenly garden. The First Adam sacrificed himself to be with his bride outside of the garden, while the Last Adam left the garden and sacrified Himself to bring His bride into the garden.

    And one more similarity that can be pointed out:

    It is interesting that even though Eve was the first to sin, it is actually the disobedience of Adam that is blamed for the death for all men.

    Romans 5
    19For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

    So it is Adam who not only suffered death for the sin of his bride, but also receives the blame for the sins of all men, even as Yahshua suffered death for His bride, taking upon Himself the sins of all men.

    I didn't mean for that to get so long winded, but this is something I have been pondering for a while now.

    Feel free to discuss, disagree, etc.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
    John 5
    39You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me

    I often wonder about how much we are still not seeing in the scriptures pertaining to how Yahshua was foreshadowed in the writings of the Old Testament.

    It's interesting that He rebuked the pharisees and even the disciples for not recognizing things about Him that were written in the scriptures, even though there is nothing open or obvious in the OT writings that specifically state any details about Him, other than in types, shadows, and parables.

    It seems clear that Yahweh has chosen to communicate with man not in direct and specific and obvious terms, but in masked ways.

    One "type of Christ" that we know of was Adam. Paul said:

    1 Corinthians 15
    45So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being;" the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.


    One question that arises is: Did Adam deliberately sin and taste death.

    The scriptures do tell us that Adam was not deceived by the serpent, as Eve had been.

    2 Corinthians 11
    3But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning

    1 Timothy 2
    14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

    With that in mind, and knowing that scripture also tells us that Adam was a type of Christ, it seems to be that we can gather that Adam did in fact knowingly and willingly accept facing the consequences of his disobedience.

    We can look at some paralleles.

    We know that scripture tells us that Yahshua will be returning for His elect, who will be His "bride."

    Revelation 19
    7Let us rejoice and be glad
    and give him glory!
    For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
    and his bride has made herself ready
    .

    Well, what does scripture tell us that Christ did for His bride?

    Ephesians 5
    25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

    Giving Himself up for His bride was a willing act on His behalf. And what did He have to do to carry this out?

    Hebrews 2
    9But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

    Coming out of heaven (the garden of Eden represents heaven), Yahshua tasted death for His bride, sacrificing Himself on account of her sins.

    Is this not exactly what Adam did? The punishment for eating the forbidden fruit was death, a death that involved being removed from the garden.

    Yahweh said:

    Genesis 2
    18The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone.

    If Adam had not eaten the fruit, He would have once again been alone in the garden. So on behalf of his bride, he sacrificed himself and tasted death for her, to remain with her.

    Some may object that an analogy can not fit here with Christ because Adam sinned and Christ did not sin, but I would say that no type or shadow of Christ would be 100% concrete. And yet even in this case we can draw some scriptural parallels:

    Romans 8
    3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering

    2 Corinthians 5
    21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

    Yahshua willingly chose to leave heaven (the garden) in the likeness of sinful flesh, taking sin upon Himself, tasting death for the sake of his bride whose sin had caused her to face the punishment of not being allowed in the garden.

    If He had not willingly come and died in sinful flesh, there would be no hope for mankind to be saved, meaning that He would have had to spend eternity in heaven alone, with no bride, just as Adam would have had to remain alone in the garden without Eve.

    However, while Adam was not permitted to re-enter the garden with His bride, it is the work of Christ that will overcome Adam's shortfall, allowing a bride to be brought into the eternal heavenly garden, restoring what was corrupted in the beginning.

    Romans 5
    18Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.


    It is the righteousness of the Last Adam that nullifies the disobedience of the First Adam, allowing man to once again enter the TRUE garden, the eternal heavenly garden. The First Adam sacrificed himself to be with his bride outside of the garden, while the Last Adam left the garden and sacrified Himself to bring His bride into the garden.

    And one more similarity that can be pointed out:

    It is interesting that even though Eve was the first to sin, it is actually the disobedience of Adam that is blamed for the death for all men.

    Romans 5
    19For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

    So it is Adam who not only suffered death for the sin of his bride, but also receives the blame for the sins of all men, even as Yahshua suffered death for His bride, taking upon Himself the sins of all men.

    I didn't mean for that to get so long winded, but this is something I have been pondering for a while now.

    Feel free to discuss, disagree, etc.


    I'll put it to you this way..I've discussed this very thing on other boards, and my conclusions basically went over their heads, so I pretty much dropped the subject at that point. What i'm trying to say is this...your conclusions are almost identical to mine. I find that truly amazing. Since the Bible indicates that Adam wasn't deceived, then yes, I believe Adam sacrificed himself for his bride, just as Jesus sacrificed Himself for His bride.

    Comment


    • #3
      The difference being that when Adam did it, it was a sin. He put his bride above obedience to God, in other words, he made an idol of her.

      When Christ sacrifices Himself for His Bride, He did it out of pure love, and in obedience to His Father.

      In other words, what was an act of sinful disobedience on Adam's part is redeemed by Christ on the cross.
      Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

      My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by daughter View Post
        The difference being that when Adam did it, it was a sin. He put his bride above obedience to God, in other words, he made an idol of her.

        When Christ sacrifices Himself for His Bride, He did it out of pure love, and in obedience to His Father.

        In other words, what was an act of sinful disobedience on Adam's part is redeemed by Christ on the cross.



        Actually you seem to be missing the point, because speaking for myself, this is not the way I understand it.

        The first Adam gave up his life for his bride. The 2nd Adam also gave up his life for his bride, but this time in order to save His bride.
        The first Adam couldn't save his bride, he could only give up his life for her. Wouldn't that be a sacrifice? would not Adam have still lived forever in the garden and his bride cast out of it?

        The 2nd Adam did both, He gave up His life, and He saved His bride at the same time.

        In both cases, with the 1st Adam and with the 2nd Adam, love for their bride was what motivated each to do what each did. I'm certainly not suggesting that what Adam did was right, but I do believe he was motivated by love for his bride. I'm not certain how you conclude he made an idol out of his bride. Afterall, God did make Eve for Adam. It would only be natural that Adam would want Eve by his side, even if it meant that he would now have to die with her in order for her to remain by his side. That sounds like a sacrifice to me.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think your study is interesting. I see something similar but different. Had the first Adam gave up his life for his bride, he would have died for her like the second Adam. We know from OT law that the husband could nullify a vow the wife took. We know that God looks at authority in a very interesting way. Because Christ is righteous then so am I. Because Adam was a sinner, then so was I. Both my guilt and my redemption come about through the head of the household.

          God also showed Adam that when he put him in a deep sleep, that from death, can come life. It was only after the deep sleep that a wife was given. The same with the second Adam. Had the first Adam ate from the Tree of Life instead of the other tree, Adam would have passed the test and known what to do next. Adam could have redeemed Eve but he was selfish and sinned. God sent a second Adam to redeem mankind that was not selfish. The second Adam did what the first Adam refused to do.

          Oh, one other little tid bit. Eve was the first being that was life from life. Just as we, as Christ's bride, get our life from His life.

          Grace,

          Mark
          Matt 9:13
          13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
          NASU

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
            John 5
            39You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me

            I often wonder about how much we are still not seeing in the scriptures pertaining to how Yahshua was foreshadowed in the writings of the Old Testament.

            It's interesting that He rebuked the pharisees and even the disciples for not recognizing things about Him that were written in the scriptures, even though there is nothing open or obvious in the OT writings that specifically state any details about Him, other than in types, shadows, and parables.

            It seems clear that Yahweh has chosen to communicate with man not in direct and specific and obvious terms, but in masked ways.

            One "type of Christ" that we know of was Adam. Paul said:

            1 Corinthians 15
            45So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being;" the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.


            One question that arises is: Did Adam deliberately sin and taste death.

            The scriptures do tell us that Adam was not deceived by the serpent, as Eve had been.

            2 Corinthians 11
            3But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning

            1 Timothy 2
            14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

            With that in mind, and knowing that scripture also tells us that Adam was a type of Christ, it seems to be that we can gather that Adam did in fact knowingly and willingly accept facing the consequences of his disobedience.

            We can look at some paralleles.

            We know that scripture tells us that Yahshua will be returning for His elect, who will be His "bride."

            Revelation 19
            7Let us rejoice and be glad
            and give him glory!
            For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
            and his bride has made herself ready.

            Well, what does scripture tell us that Christ did for His bride?

            Ephesians 5
            25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

            Giving Himself up for His bride was a willing act on His behalf. And what did He have to do to carry this out?

            Hebrews 2
            9But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

            Coming out of heaven (the garden of Eden represents heaven), Yahshua tasted death for His bride, sacrificing Himself on account of her sins.

            Is this not exactly what Adam did? The punishment for eating the forbidden fruit was death, a death that involved being removed from the garden.

            Yahweh said:

            Genesis 2
            18The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone.

            If Adam had not eaten the fruit, He would have once again been alone in the garden. So on behalf of his bride, he sacrificed himself and tasted death for her, to remain with her.

            Some may object that an analogy can not fit here with Christ because Adam sinned and Christ did not sin, but I would say that no type or shadow of Christ would be 100% concrete. And yet even in this case we can draw some scriptural parallels:

            Romans 8
            3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering

            2 Corinthians 5
            21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

            Yahshua willingly chose to leave heaven (the garden) in the likeness of sinful flesh, taking sin upon Himself, tasting death for the sake of his bride whose sin had caused her to face the punishment of not being allowed in the garden.

            If He had not willingly come and died in sinful flesh, there would be no hope for mankind to be saved, meaning that He would have had to spend eternity in heaven alone, with no bride, just as Adam would have had to remain alone in the garden without Eve.

            However, while Adam was not permitted to re-enter the garden with His bride, it is the work of Christ that will overcome Adam's shortfall, allowing a bride to be brought into the eternal heavenly garden, restoring what was corrupted in the beginning.

            Romans 5
            18Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.


            It is the righteousness of the Last Adam that nullifies the disobedience of the First Adam, allowing man to once again enter the TRUE garden, the eternal heavenly garden. The First Adam sacrificed himself to be with his bride outside of the garden, while the Last Adam left the garden and sacrified Himself to bring His bride into the garden.

            And one more similarity that can be pointed out:

            It is interesting that even though Eve was the first to sin, it is actually the disobedience of Adam that is blamed for the death for all men.

            Romans 5
            19For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

            So it is Adam who not only suffered death for the sin of his bride, but also receives the blame for the sins of all men, even as Yahshua suffered death for His bride, taking upon Himself the sins of all men.

            I didn't mean for that to get so long winded, but this is something I have been pondering for a while now.

            Feel free to discuss, disagree, etc.
            While this makes for an interesting discussion, I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make. Could you clarify why it would matter if your conclusions are true or not? Thanks

            Also, we must remember that there are no perfect types. The Greek word tupos (type) means, "an imprint". It resembles only portions of the actual antitype; it is not an exact representation. So, while a lot of qualities may be consistent between the 1st and 2nd Adam, not every single detail of their lives, acts, etc will be identical.

            blessings,
            Z.
            "Unto you therefore which believe, He is precious" (1 Peter 2:7)


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
              I think your study is interesting. I see something similar but different. Had the first Adam gave up his life for his bride, he would have died for her like the second Adam. We know from OT law that the husband could nullify a vow the wife took. We know that God looks at authority in a very interesting way. Because Christ is righteous then so am I. Because Adam was a sinner, then so was I. Both my guilt and my redemption come about through the head of the household.

              God also showed Adam that when he put him in a deep sleep, that from death, can come life. It was only after the deep sleep that a wife was given. The same with the second Adam. Had the first Adam ate from the Tree of Life instead of the other tree, Adam would have passed the test and known what to do next. Adam could have redeemed Eve but he was selfish and sinned. God sent a second Adam to redeem mankind that was not selfish. The second Adam did what the first Adam refused to do.

              Oh, one other little tid bit. Eve was the first being that was life from life. Just as we, as Christ's bride, get our life from His life.

              Grace,

              Mark
              Thanks for this post.

              And remember, the first Adam was in the image of God.

              The second Adam was God.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by webhead View Post
                Thanks for this post.

                And remember, the first Adam was in the image of God.

                The second Adam was God.
                That is correct. I am glad you pointed it out.
                Matt 9:13
                13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                NASU

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by divaD View Post
                  I'll put it to you this way..I've discussed this very thing on other boards, and my conclusions basically went over their heads, so I pretty much dropped the subject at that point. What i'm trying to say is this...your conclusions are almost identical to mine. I find that truly amazing. Since the Bible indicates that Adam wasn't deceived, then yes, I believe Adam sacrificed himself for his bride, just as Jesus sacrificed Himself for His bride.
                  Well I guess we're either both onto something or both crazy! Either way it's nice to have some company.

                  Actually, I think there is some truth in each of your posts (Diva and Daughter).

                  They key is us understanding Adam's motivation for his disobedience. Adam's act was a sin, regardless of his motivation, even if his motivation was love for his bride. But it was an imprerfect act of love carried out by a man of the flesh.

                  We know that he wasn't deceived, and we also know that Yahweh said to him:

                  17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree...

                  So Adam was held accountable for listening to his wife and eating the fruit. But the question is what was his motivation for doing so? I believe there is a good chance he may have done it willingly, not for the sake of disobedience or rebellion, but for the sake of his bride. Although, scripture doesn't tell us.

                  Either way, the similarities between the "fall of man" and Christ's redemptive work for His bride are too obvious to dismiss.

                  This could also be why Adam is the one who receives the blame for the fall, even though it was Eve who first transgressed - because Even sinned due to being deceived while Adam sinned purposely.

                  Also because the man is the head of his wife, just as Christ is the head of the church, and the head will either get the glory or the blame for what is carried out. Christ's bride gives glory to its head (Christ Himself) for its good deeds, and Eve's head (Adam) received blame for her sinful deed.

                  And ultimately, Yahshua's head (the Father) receives the glory for His deeds.

                  John 14
                  13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.

                  The head is always the responsible party - whether for glory or blame.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
                    So Adam was held accountable for listening to his wife and eating the fruit. But the question is what was his motivation for doing so? I believe there is a good chance he may have done it willingly, not for the sake of disobedience or rebellion, but for the sake of his bride. Although, scripture doesn't tell us.
                    You are correct. Scripture never gives Adams motivation for sinning.

                    Scripture never tells us Adam's motivation for sinning, and it doesn't matter any way, sin is sin, no matter the motivation.

                    If I sin because I think it helps my wife in some way, does God say it's Ok?

                    I wish it worked this way, LOL. Then I could blame all of my sins on my wife.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
                      But the question is what was his motivation for doing so? I believe there is a good chance he may have done it willingly, not for the sake of disobedience or rebellion, but for the sake of his bride. Although, scripture doesn't tell us.
                      Problem is, real love doesn't involve sin. Only a selfish "love" does (which is not love at all). I think Adam could have selflessly redeemed his wife but chose not to. So God sent Jesus (who is also God) to do that. The second Adam did what the first Adam should have done.

                      Grace,

                      Mark
                      Matt 9:13
                      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                      NASU

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What does motive have to do with sinning?

                        Sin, by its very definition, is a choice to disobey.

                        Adam chose to disobey. Why he chose to disobey is immaterial, and certainly does not mitigate his choice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                          What does motive have to do with sinning?

                          Sin, by its very definition, is a choice to disobey.

                          Adam chose to disobey. Why he chose to disobey is immaterial, and certainly does not mitigate his choice.
                          Adam choose to join Eve at the expense of his relationship with God. A bad choice indeed. But when it comes to women how many men across to ages have made the right decision?

                          When asked by flesh of his flesh how could Adam resist?

                          Adam certainly underestimated the long term consequences of his choice. Was Adam predestined to make the wrong choice? Or was it Gods will that Adam should sin so that God might send His Son in time and in the likeness of man to redeem mankind?

                          For the cause of Christ
                          Roger

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            God's will that someone should sin?

                            Not in a gazillion years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                              Problem is, real love doesn't involve sin. Only a selfish "love" does (which is not love at all). I think Adam could have selflessly redeemed his wife but chose not to. So God sent Jesus (who is also God) to do that. The second Adam did what the first Adam should have done.

                              Grace,

                              Mark
                              I agree...Adam did nothing at all to help his wife..he didn't save her from anything, he should have corrected her actually...that might have redeemed her. See God told Adam about the tree ...Adam then passed that information onto his wife and wasn't very clear about what God said. If Adam truly loved Eve with the holiness a husband should have towards his wife, he would have made sure she understood exactly what God said and protected her from being tempted in the first place. After the fact he still could have corrected her. Instead he sinned willingly, with his eyes wide open...choosing to listen to his wife (and satan) over God. This was no honorable act at all. He did nothing but seal his wife's fate and his too.

                              David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible
                              e. To the woman: why did Satan choose to bring the attack against Eve? Because he perceived she was more vulnerable to attack, since she did not receive the command to not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil directly from God but through Adam (2:15-17).

                              i. Perhaps Satan knew by observation Adam didn't do an effective job in communicating to Eve what the Lord had told him. This failure on Adam's part made Eve more vulnerable to temptation.

                              ii. Satan will often attack a chain at its weakest link; he is getting at Adam by tempting Eve. The stronger ones in a "chain" must expect attack against weaker links and support them against those attacks.

                              iii. It was also in God's plan to allow Satan to tempt Eve this way. If Adam would have sinned first, and if he had given the fruit to Eve, she might have a partial excuse before God: "I was simply obeying the head of our home. When he gave me the fruit, I ate of it."

                              f. Has God indeed said: Satan's first attack is leveled against the Word of God. If he can get Eve confused about what God has said, or doubting what God has said, then the battle is partially won.

                              i. From the beginning, Satan has tried to undermine God's people by undermining God's Word. He can undermine just as effectively by getting us to neglect God's Word as by getting us to doubt it.

                              g. Satan takes God's positive command (Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat [Genesis 2:16-17]) and rephrases it in a negative way: "God won't let you eat of every tree."

                              2. (2-3) Eve's reply to the serpent.

                              a. Eve's first mistake was in even carrying on a discussion with the serpent. We are called to talk to the devil, but never to have a discussion with him. We simply and strongly tell him, "The Lord rebuke you!" (Jude 9)

                              b. Eve's knowledge of what she should not do is partially correct, but what she doesn't seem to know makes her all the more vulnerable to deception.

                              i. Eve does not seem to know the name of this tree; she only calls it the tree in the midst of the garden, instead of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:17).

                              ii. Eve misquotes God's command to Adam; you shall not eat it and lest you die are close enough, but she adds to the command and puts words in God's mouth when she says nor shall you touch it. Not that it was a bad idea to completely avoid the temptation; no good could come from massaging the fruit you're not supposed to eat. But it is a dangerous thing to teach the doctrines of man as if they are the commandments of God (Matthew 15:9).

                              iii. Clarke on nor shall you touch it: "Some Jewish writers . . . state that as soon as the woman had asserted this, the serpent pushed her against the tree and said, 'See, you have touched it, and are still alive; you may therefore safely eat of the fruit, for surely you shall not die.'"

                              c. This lack of knowledge on Eve's part is undoubtedly to be laid at the door of her head, Adam. He did a poor job of relating the word God gave him to his wife, Eve.

                              i. We can almost picture Adam telling Eve, "See that tree in the middle of the garden? Don't touch it or God says we'll die!" While this is better than saying nothing, what Adam didn't explain made a vulnerable place where Satan could attack.

                              d. Why was God so concerned about a tree and its fruit? Isn't this a small thing to hinge the destiny of the human race and all creation on? No. The tree was nothing more than a restraint on Adam and Eve. It reminded them they were not God, that God had a legitimate claim on their obedience, and that they were responsible to Him.

                              3. (4-5) Satan's direct challenge to God's Word.

                              a. Satan has effectively laid the groundwork: he drew Eve into a discussion with him, he has planted the seed of doubt about God's Word in her, and he has exposed Eve's incomplete understanding of God's Word. Now he moves in for the kill, with an outright contradiction of what God has said.

                              i. Satan can only effectively work when he has established a foothold. No one falls like Adam and Eve will fall, "all of a sudden." A foundation has been laid.

                              ii. This is why we are called to never give place to the devil (Ephesians 4:27); why Jesus could say, "Satan has nothing in Me." (John 14:30) (read the rest at the link..its a great study)

                              God bless
                              "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X