This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT Revival or Apostasy?

Since I'm from South Africa and I see there's a "revival" taking hold under the auspices of the man of whose life has been encompassed in a film titled "Faith Like Potatoes", I would like to warn people about False Prophets in the end times we currently are living in.

Firstly, this is a religious movie - not a Christian movie and it's definitely NOT biblically sound.

The Bible was given to us by God Almighty as a yardstick to measure these things, as we are told in Ephesians the devil comes to us masquerading as an angel of light, so we are to discern these things, not accept every wind of doctrine that comes our way, or every word or deed that seems to be "Christian", yet when weighed against the Word of God, is found seriously wanting.

As I've stated on another forum:
    If a person (in religious circles) is popular and brings in huge crowds, or is a good public speaker and holds the attention of his audience, or is very likeable, or if he is baptized and is a member of a Church, or if he quotes scripture, or has many academic qualifications - it doesn't mean he is speaking the Truth of God's Word.

Only Scripture can be used to verify whether a man and his words/actions are true or of the Spirit of Truth. You can't just turn your soul's salvation over to men by automatically believing everything they tell you or believe the things they do. It's the most dangerous thing you can ever do in your life as it has dire eternal consequences. The Bible says there is condemnation for those who follow another Jesus and another Gospel.

The Bible is God's witness to the Truth, and the witness of the Truth is in God's Word - so if it's not in the Word, it's not of the Holy Spirit (Spirit of Truth).

The Bible has this to say about deception and the apostate church, which propagates a spirit of falsehood and error, which the Bible calls a whore or harlot and how she deceives people:

Proverbs 7:6-10 : I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding, passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house, In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night: And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

Proverbs 7:22-27 : With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him. He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter. Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth. Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths. For she both cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her. Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

PROBLEMS WITH THIS "REVIVAL" WHICH PRETTY MUCH FOLLOWS THE SAME CONCEPT AS PROMISE KEEPERS:
    It's leader is part of the Charismatic Movement which is a major catalyst in bringing about fellowship and union with the Roman Catholic Church.
    They totally reject the commands of Scripture to separate from and warn about false teachers, disobedient brethren, and the world - 2 Corinthians 6:14-18, 2 Thessalonians 3:6, 14, 15, 1 John 2:15-17.
    They don't obey the commands of the Bible to "preach no other doctrine - 1 Timothy 1:3 and also refuse to heed the warning in Galatians 1:6-10, so they become the "blind leading the blind" - Matthew 15:10-14

They make the bold claim of - "
    Seven solid promises that will change a man’s life forever", yet these 7 promises aren't based solely on the foundation of God's Word, instead they're a mixture of God's Word and the suppositions of Man:

Their emphasis upon self-effort within their program supplants absolute dependence upon the Lord Jesus Christ. The reality is this : Only God can unfailingly keep a promise. And the end result is : Many will face disillusionment and disappointment because of their failure to look to God alone and His promises.

The dangers of this theology:
    Advocate unscriptural religious unity at the expense of sound biblical doctrine and practice.
    Promote and accept unscriptural charismatic teachings.
    Use and approval of psychology and its techniques.
    Use and promotion of corrupted versions of the Bible such as the NIV.
    Misinterprete and twist key scriptures.
    Stressthe importance of Evangelism but at the same time ignore the need of the pure Gospel of Jesus Christ. (another Gospel?)

Bill McCartney, Founder of Promise Keepers, unbiblical take on unity:
    Now, I don’t mean to suggest that all cultural differences and denominational distinctives are going to disappear. But what I know is that Almighty God wants to bring Christian men together regardless of their ethnic origin, denominational background, or style of worship. There’s only one criterion for this kind of unity: to love Jesus and be born of the Spirit of God. Can we look one another in the eye -- black, white, red, brown, yellow, Baptist, Presbyterian, Assemblies of God, Catholic [emphasis ours], and so on -- and get together on this common ground: ‘We believe in salvation through Christ alone, and we have made Him the Lord of our lives’? Is that not the central, unifying reality of our existence? And if it is, can we not focus on that and call each other brothers instead of always emphasizing our differences? Men, we have to get together on this!

Compared to Martin & Deidre Bobgan's statement in their booklet titled : Promise Keepers & Psychoheresy:

If men are to come together as men, they would do well to follow what the Bible says rather than Freudian fables, Jungian myths, and other self-serving, man-made psychologies. And they would do well to gather together in the place where they are meant to grow -- in the local church -- not in huge rallies with "mob psychology" or in groups using encounter group techniques and undermining important doctrinal distinctives.

It sounds as though you are putting a "church" before Christ !

can you clarify ?
    "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

Originally posted by KraggaKamma View Post
      Since I'm from South Africa and I see there's a "revival" taking hold under the auspices of the man of whose life has been encompassed in a film titled "Faith Like Potatoes", I would like to warn people about False Prophets in the end times we currently are living in.

Firstly, this is a religious movie - not a Christian movie and it's definitely NOT biblically sound.

I attended the preaching of Angus Bucham in Vanderbijlpark. He testified a lot and spoke purely from the Bible. He said that South Africa is already in a revival and that Jesus is alive. The greatest sin is unbelieve and not murder. I regard him as a pure child of God.

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

KraggaKamma,

Can you provide proof for anything that you said in your post ?

(Keeping in mind that there is a lot of folks on the board that was actually at one of these meetings that you speak of )

Comment

can you clarify ?
          Can you please be more specific and note the parts of my post where you say I am putting the church before Christ, that way I can answer your question more correctly. Thanks.

I'm actually describing the mixture of this theology (Promise Keepers) and it's definitely not my intention to put the church before Christ at all, so I'm rather surprised at your comment.

Promise Keepers theology is a "hybrid" because it mixes Christianity and Psychology - and its very subtle. If you look at Psychology it is anti-Christian because it says that man's problem isn't due to sin and a fallen nature, but due to bad choices in life or his upbringing or circumstances. Psychology was founded by atheists, and the Bible tells us that an atheist is the biggest fool there is. Catholocism is a hybrid as well, as it combines both Christianity and Paganism. Anything that is extra-biblical and is brought into Christianity = mixture. The Bible calls these things the doctrine of demons. The Bible tells us to worship God in Spirit and in Truth.

Proof that God hates a mixture:
          Zephaniah 1:4-5
          Revelation 2:12-17

"You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin by eating food sacrificed to idils and by committing sexual immorality. Likewise you also have those who hold to the teachings of the Nicolaitans".

Throughout the Bible God talks of the sin of adultery and fornication which means both in a physical and spiritual sense. Spiritual adultery and fornication is when Christians abandon God to go after other gods, or mix in pagan or non-Christian practices with Biblical doctrines, which brings us to Psychology that is mixed in with Promise Keepers, upon which "Faith Like Potatoes" is based. So what exactly is wrong with Psychology then?

First of all, try and find the word "sin" in any Psychology dictionary or book. I can tell you now you won't find it, as it isn't recognized by it's proponents and founders.

Psychology is rooted in atheistic beliefs. Sigmund Freud was an atheist, who by the way traced all psychological problems back to sexual issues. He also drew inspiration from another atheist, Charles Darwin (the father of evolution), and so explained mankind's behaviour in evolutionary terms.

Analysis of some of the Promises put forward by Promise Keepers:

Promise 2 - A man and his mentors: A Promise Keeper is committed to pursuing vital relationships with a few other men, understanding that he needs brothers to help him keep his promises.

This is based upon psychological theory. Godly men can help one another though - point taken, but to encourage a false notion that men can't make it on their own in this day and age and expect Promise Keepers to keep them on the straight and narrow is belittling God's power and not believing in Him or His promises - 2 Peter 1:3-4. The Bible warns us about putting our trust in men - Isaiah 2:22 says "Cease ye from an, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted for?" and Jeremiah 17:5 says "Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord".

Promise 6 -
          A man and his brothers: A Promise Keeper is committed to reaching beyond any racial and denominational barriers to demonstrate the power of biblical unity.

This promises mixes truth with error (mixture). Reaching beyond racial boundaries however, is scriptural, but reaching beyond denominational barriers defies God's commands, as it's an unbiblical unity which is made mention of in 2 Peter 2:1-3.

Promise 7 -
          A man and his world: A Promise Keeper is committed to influencing his world, being obedient to the Great Commandment (see Mark 12:30, 31) and the Great Commission (see Matthew 28:19, 20).

The Great Commandment referred to in Mark 12:30-31 is God's commandment to love God and our neighbour, but here they present a faulty understanding of GENUINE christian love whereby reconciliation with a DISOBEDIENT brother is insisted upon. The Bible tells us that we are to SEPARATE from disobedient brothers/sisters - 2 Thessalonians 3:6, 14, 15.

The reason why we are to separate from disobedient brethren is to preserve a pure church - as well as for the disobedient brother/sister's spiritual welfare - so they can be disciplined, hopefully see their error and amend their ways.

The Great Commission they refer to in Matthew 28:19-20 involves the preaching of the Gospel, as well as teaching SOUND BIBLICAL DOCTRINE to those who believe - "....to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you". Yet, they don't seem to care what church or what doctrinal creed is embraced - but it does matter to God, and He warns against this grievious error in Acts 20:17-32 - "all the counsel of God". The Bible warns us against ravenous wolves not sparing the flock who arise from WITHIN the church, who speak "perverse things" and "draw away disciples after them".

They state:
          The conferences are designed for specific men’s issues in the context of an all-male setting. We have discovered that men are more apt to hear and receive the full instruction of the sessions when they are not inhibited by concern for a woman’s responses. One of the primary goals of the conference is to deepen the commitment of men to respect and honor women.
          The questions we have to ask ourselves in this instance is : will they give these men the entire counsel of God, or a modified, changed, misleading version? As they not only have a compromising new evangelism, but charismatic error and ecumenical liberalism as well.

For more proof: The following link provides access to websites which discuss Promise Keeper's Catholic connection, interfaith and ecumenism, as well as the emphasis they put on Church growth:
          http://www.google.com/custom?q=promi...nthechurch.com

But will anyone listen? The pressure to follow the crowd and silence the voice of reproof is growing daily. I pray God opens your eyes if you're involved in this movement.

Blessings,
          Audrey

Comment

Biblical psychology...

Prov 23:7

7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
            KJV

As one thinks in his heart, so is he.

John 8:32

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
            KJV

Replace the lies in our heart with the truth and we can be set free. Paul said it this way...

Rom 12:1-2

12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
            KJV

I am always amazed when folks just want to throw psychology out the window. Is it polluted by the world? Oh yea. But God is the Great Counselor.

psy·chol·o·gy Audio Help /saɪˈkɒlədʒi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahy-kol-uh-jee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun, plural -gies. 1.the science of the mind or of mental states and processes.

God wants us to deal with our mental state and processes. There are countless scriptures on taking thoughts captive and dealing with our thought life and other things.

Sin often starts in the mind as it did with Eve, and works it way to the heart as it did with Adam. When a lie is in us, we need to get it out. While modern psychology doesn't do so well with getting the truth into someone, there is such a thing as scriptural psychology. We just call it preaching.
            Matt 9:13
            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
            NASU

Comment

Brother Mark,
              The term "Christian psychology" is a complete contradiction - there is no such thing. The way to understand the Bible is through proper exegesis and hermeneutics - scripture always confirms scripture, God doesn't contradict Himself, and we have to read whole verses, not half verses for them to make sense. So let's look at the scripture you posted under "Biblical psychology", in their proper context, shall we:

This is exactly what I was speaking of in my previous post:
              Proverbs 23:6-8
              Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats: 7For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. 8The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words.
              In other words we are not to covet or desire the possessions of an evil man (unbeliever) or anyone for that matter - because coveting makes us covetors - which is against God's commandments. Nor are we to fellowship with disobedient brothers and sisters - it goes against Almighty God's commandment.

John 8:31-33
              To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." 33They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?"

Jesus is saying that the truth is holding onto His teachings - exactly the point of was trying to get across in my previous post - and it's this that will set you free. Yet the Jews of the time didn't understand what He was trying to say to them.

Brother Mark, this isn't psychology - it's what is known as GOD'S TRUTH.

Brother Mark wrote:
              God wants us to deal with our mental state and processes. There are countless scriptures on taking thoughts captive and dealing with our thought life and other things.

Sin often starts in the mind as it did with Eve, and works it way to the heart as it did with Adam. When a lie is in us, we need to get it out. While modern psychology doesn't do so well with getting the truth into someone, there is such a thing as scriptural psychology. We just call it preaching.
              Actually God wants us to be obedient to His teachings and commandments - He'll deal with our sin or "mental state and processes" as you kindly put it. When a lie is in us He'll convinct us of it, after all, we're still sinners - we're trapped in a corrupt body, in a corrupt world. Sin starts with our fallen nature - in our heart - and God knows our heart - it's evil. Adam and Eve were subtly deceived by Satan- and that's unfortunately the way the devil is still deceiving millions of people today - subtly, because they're not grounded in God's Word, sadly they follow every wind of doctrine that comes along.

psy-chol-o-gy n. 1. a) the science dealing with the mind and with mental and emotional processes.

That makes it the very
              antithesis of the eternal Word of God. Because it's man's way of curing sin.

Psalm 1:1 states, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Blessings,
              Audrey

Comment

Psychology is godless man's way of trying to understand and comprehend the workings on the mind.

It fails to take into account sin and the fallen state of a man.

It denies the ability of Yahweh to "supernaturally" give a person a transformed nature, a renewed heart, and the means to renew one thinking and mind.

Christian psychology is trying to accomplish things by man's means rather than by Elohim's.

It's a bringing man's ways and understandings into the Spiritual realm - rather than bringing Yahshua, with His Truth and Dunamis Holy Spirit Power, into man's realm.

Comment

Brother Mark, this isn't psychology - it's what is known as GOD'S TRUTH.
                  Proper psychology will deal only in God's truth. The renewing of the mind and emotions is a wonderful part of scripture.

Actually God wants us to be obedient to His teachings and commandments - He'll deal with our sin or "mental state and processes" as you kindly put it. When a lie is in us He'll convinct us of it, after all, we're still sinners - we're trapped in a corrupt body, in a corrupt world. Sin starts with our fallen nature - in our heart - and God knows our heart - it's evil. Adam and Eve were subtly deceived by Satan- and that's unfortunately the way the devil is still deceiving millions of people today - subtly, because they're not grounded in God's Word, sadly they follow every wind of doctrine that they hear.

Blessings,
                  Audrey

What God wants is for us to trust him. That's where it all starts. That then leads to obedience and so forth until we are transformed into the image of His Son. And how does this transformation take place?

Rom 12:1-2

12 I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
                  NASB

By the renewing of our mind. Psychology has stumbled upon many truths in scripture through shear study of mankind and how we function. However, without Jesus, psychology is of no use or help. But the principles of thinking differently are found rooted deep in scripture. That is what many psychologist try to deal with. However, without Christ, there can be no real change of the inside even if the mind is changed.
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

Comment

can you clarify ?
                    Can you please be more specific and note the parts of my post where you say I am putting the church before Christ, that way I can answer your question more correctly. Thanks.

I'm actually describing the mixture of this theology (Promise Keepers) and it's definitely not my intention to put the church before Christ at all, so I'm rather surprised at your comment.
                    It was that mixture which caused me to ask I made no accusations

But will anyone listen? The pressure to follow the crowd and silence the voice of reproof is growing daily. I pray God opens your eyes if you're involved in this movement.

Blessings,
                    Audrey
                    Trust God, I am not involved in any man's "movements".

With all that cleared up, I shall continue reading.
                    thanks
                    "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

It was that mixture which caused me to ask I made no accusations
                      Cool, no problem, just wanted to know what to make clear and what not to make clear. Glad to hear you aren't part of any men's movements.

Comment

Proper psychology will deal only in God's truth. The renewing of the mind and emotions is a wonderful part of scripture.
                        So what is "proper psychology then" - please define it, and provide proof.

What God wants is for us to trust him. That's where it all starts. That then leads to obedience and so forth until we are transformed into the image of His Son. And how does this transformation take place?
                        We can't obey anyone if we don't trust them, unless we're forced to - but God doesn't force anyone, nor can we obey anyone if we don't love them or respect them - we'll try, but it will be done half-heartedly. Trust comes when we initially accept Him as our Saviour - otherwise how could we accept Him as our Saviour? Our transformation on this earth will never be complete, as I stated earlier, as the flesh is warring against the spirit . We'll only be complete in Him once we receive our resurrected bodies. Anyone claiming to be perfect on this earth is into New Age hocus pocus - otherwise known as self-righteousness. It is never our righteousness - but His, whereby we boast.

Romans 12:1-2
                        12 I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Please note - it says "renewing" and not "renewal" (instantaneous) - meaning it's an ongoing process throughout our Christian walk. Presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice, acceptable to God means obeying His commandments not to partake in sexual immorality of any kind, nor being part of the world - which means dressing like them, looking like them, behaving like them and thinking like them - we are in this world, not a part of it. God's will is good and acceptable and perfect - and we have to reflect it - by following His commands, i.e., obedience.

By the renewing of our mind. Psychology has stumbled upon many truths in scripture through shear study of mankind and how we function. However, without Jesus, psychology is of no use or help. But the principles of thinking differently are found rooted deep in scripture. That is what many psychologist try to deal with. However, without Christ, there can be no real change of the inside even if the mind is changed.
                        I can't see how anything that was discovered by an atheist and who conveniently "stumbled" upon the many truths of scripture through shear (sheer) study of mankind and how we function can be a Biblical truth? This doesn't make any sense. Can you please provide proof of this? As this is clearly a case of reinventing the wheel because we have the Bible that says that God is the only One who knows Man's heart? And by the way, nothing in this life is coincidence or is "stumbled" upon - Psychology was created by the devil to deceive mankind, it's all part of the apostasy. Gods will be done - and all things on this earth are working towards that - as God allows it.

That is what many psychologist try to deal with.
                        Please provide proof of this.

My Bible tells me that anything that has it's roots in atheism, paganism or the occult isn't from God period, and that I shouldn't tamper with it, because nothing good can come of it. Evil cannot birth good.

Blessings,
                        Audrey

Comment

My Bible tells me that anything that has it's roots in atheism, paganism or the occult isn't from God period and that I shouldn't tamper with it, because nothing good can come of it. Evil cannot birth good.

Blessings,
                          Audrey
                          When Satan tempted Eve, was part of God's word in it? Oh yea. We don't throw that away because Satan used it. What we do is use God's word without the lies. Satan tried to use it with lies against Eve and again against Christ and against all of us.

God wishes for us to think differently. That's what repentance is all about. Atheistic psychology is all about thinking differently without God is from the devil. Look at the psychology definition I gave above. It's just a study of the mind. Just as medicine is a study of the body. What the atheist have tried to do as they have learned more about the mind is fix it with simple thought replacement. That works fine with Jesus at it's core for it is what he tells us to do. But it doesn't work at all without Jesus.

Some psychologist will say change your behavior and this will change your thoughts. Other say change your thoughts and your behavior will change. Jesus says to do both all the while focusing on Him.
                          NASU

Comment

So what is "proper psychology then" - please define it, and provide proof.

We can't obey anyone if we don't trust them, unless we're forced to - but God doesn't force anyone, nor can we obey anyone if we don't love them or respect them - we'll try, but it will be done half-heartedly. Trust comes when we initially accept Him as our Saviour - otherwise how could we accept Him as our Saviour? Our transformation on this earth will never be complete, as I stated earlier, as the flesh is warring against the spirit . We'll only be complete in Him once we receive our resurrected bodies. Anyone claiming to be perfect on this earth is into New Age hocus pocus - otherwise known as self-righteousness. It is never our righteousness - but His, whereby we boast.

Romans 12:1-2

Please note - it says "renewing" and not "renewal" (instantaneous) - meaning it's an ongoing process throughout our Christian walk. Presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice, acceptable to God means obeying His commandments not to partake in sexual immorality of any kind, nor being part of the world - which means dressing like them, looking like them, behaving like them and thinking like them - we are in this world, not a part of it. God's will is good and acceptable and perfect - and we have to reflect it - by following His commands, i.e., obedience.

I can't see how anything that was discovered by an atheist and who conveniently "stumbled" upon the many truths of scripture through shear (sheer) study of mankind and how we function can be a Biblical truth? This doesn't make any sense. Can you please provide proof of this? As this is clearly a case of reinventing the wheel because we have the Bible that says that God is the only One who knows Man's heart? And by the way, nothing in this life is coincidence or is "stumbled" upon - Psychology was created by the devil to deceive mankind, it's all part of the apostasy. Gods will be done - and all things on this earth are working towards that - as God allows it.

That is what many psychologist try to deal with.
                            Please provide proof of this.

My Bible tells me that anything that has it's roots in atheism, paganism or the occult isn't from God period, and that I shouldn't tamper with it, because nothing good can come of it. Evil cannot birth good. The devil cannot speak the truth.

Blessings,
                            Audrey

Comment

I see absolutely nothing wrong or unbiblical about the quote from Bill McCartney above. He's speaking out about division through denominational affiliation. I, too, believe that denominational allegiance can be a hinderance to the unity of the body of Christ. What is unbiblical about his comment?
                              "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X