Simple Question On Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Question On Job?

Most people don't look beyond the second chapter of Job. So the question is, when God declared Job blameless, upright, and none like him, whose righteousness was God looking at? Did Job get saved first, and then became righteous, or was he righteous, and then became saved?

Originally posted by tgallison View Post
    Most people don't look beyond the second chapter of Job. So the question is, when God declared Job blameless, upright, and none like him, whose righteousness was God looking at? Did Job get saved first, and then became righteous, or was he righteous, and then became saved?
    ... Job, being an Old Testament Saint, was not saved until Jesus was nailed to the cross, died and freed the captives in Paradise. (Matt. 27:51-53) All the Old Testament Saints looked forward to the coming of the Messiah just as we, the New Testament Saints look back to His death for our salvation. And since there are none righteous (Rom. 3:10 & 23) but God He would have been comparing Job to Himself. Don't you think so?

Comment

... Job, being an Old Testament Saint, was not saved until Jesus was nailed to the cross, died and freed the captives in Paradise. (Matt. 27:51-53) All the Old Testament Saints looked forward to the coming of the Messiah just as we, the New Testament Saints look back to His death for our salvation. And since there are none righteous (Rom. 3:10 & 23) but God He would have been comparing Job to Himself. Don't you think so?
      Good point the1bill. However, I think the point in time the godly saints living and dying before the cross was at the resurrection. I Peter 1:12 says that no created being knew the details of God's redemptive plan.......if they didn't know, then the 3 days that Jesus was turned over to sin would have been a TRIBULATION to them.......Yes, that is the tribulation...it's already happened.

In Matthew 27:51-53, the "holy city" was not Jerusalem, but heaven. In short some of those godly saints appeared in heaven.

Comment

??? job 19:25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, And he shall stand on the earth; 26:and after my skin is destroyed, this i know, That in my flesh I shall see God

obviously 1peter 1:12 doesn't mean that no one knew about the redemptive work that was coming!!

romans ch 4 says "Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness" so by faith(believing and following God) Job was accredited righteousness

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill View Post
          Bill greetings

I do not understand your last sentence. Are you saying Job's righteousness was God's righteousness?

terrell

Comment

Originally posted by sudds View Post
            Good point the1bill. However, I think the point in time the godly saints living and dying before the cross was at the resurrection. I Peter 1:12 says that no created being knew the details of God's redemptive plan.......if they didn't know, then the 3 days that Jesus was turned over to sin would have been a TRIBULATION to them.......Yes, that is the tribulation...it's already happened.

In Matthew 27:51-53, the "holy city" was not Jerusalem, but heaven. In short some of those godly saints appeared in heaven.
            sudds Greetings

As I read 1 Peter 1:10-12 the prophets, which had the Spirit of Christ, knew what was gone to happen, just not when.

Comment

Originally posted by boangry View Post
              ??? job 19:25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, And he shall stand on the earth; 26:and after my skin is destroyed, this i know, That in my flesh I shall see God

obviously 1peter 1:12 doesn't mean that no one knew about the redemptive work that was coming!!

romans ch 4 says "Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness" so by faith(believing and following God) Job was accredited righteousness
              boangry greetings

Agree with your statement. But what about Job, did he have his own righteousness aside from God's?

terrell

Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the above statement.

Look at what Job says in the 27th chapter:

All while my breath is in me, and the Spirit of God is in my nostrils;

My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue uttter deciet,

God forbid that I should justify you: till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me

"my righteousness" I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live
                Job 27:3-6

I believe Job knew that he was a righteous man and that his source of righteousness was from God. Why? Because he 'believed' on God .. now matter what the circumstance.. just as Abraham did. Noah.... etc.
                He 'knew' the source of his righteouness just as he knew and believed God was in control of everything no matter what happened.

The Book of Job shows the believer, God's Providence over all things.. including times of sorrow, joy, times of immense wealth and material things to having nothing at all. It shows us that He is the source of our Righteousness, He is the source of what we need and desire in our daily needs, it shows the believer that God even has control over the god of this world.. satan...

Job's righteousness was God's righteousness... because he believed and trusted as did many other Old Testament Saints.

I believe Job knew that when He said 'my righteousness' He knew that his 'source' was God's righteousness and that alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ARCHER42 View Post
                  -------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the above statement.

Look at what Job says in the 27th chapter:

All while my breath is in me, and the Spirit of God is in my nostrils;

My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue uttter deciet,

God forbid that I should justify you: till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me

"my righteousness" I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live
                  Job 27:3-6

I believe Job knew that he was a righteous man and that his source of righteousness was from God. Why? Because he 'believed' on God .. now matter what the circumstance.. just as Abraham did. Noah.... etc.
                  He 'knew' the source of his righteouness just as he knew and believed God was in control of everything no matter what happened.

The Book of Job shows the believer, God's Providence over all things.. including times of sorrow, joy, times of immense wealth and material things to having nothing at all. It shows us that He is the source of our Righteousness, He is the source of what we need and desire in our daily needs, it shows the believer that God even has control over the god of this world.. satan...

Job's righteousness was God's righteousness... because he believed and trusted as did many other Old Testament Saints.

I believe Job knew that when He said 'my righteousness' He knew that his 'source' was God's righteousness and that alone.
                  Archer42 greetings

Did Job have any righteousness aside from God's righteousness?

terrell

Comment

Archer42 greetings

terrell
                    ------------------------------------------------------------

Job knew he was righteous, but he knew the "source" of his righteousness, which was from God Almighty Himself.
                    ----------------------------------------------------------

My answer is no.....

if you look at the discourse between Job and God in the 40th Chapter of Job...

Job says...... Behold, I am vile.....

In the 42 Chapter of Job... Job says...
                    Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Had Job believed that his righteousness.. was his own or his own making and that it was 'good enough' then Job would of never confessed this to the Lord in his discourse. Job is a revelation of God's Providence over all things...

Comment

When you do a word study on the word 'city' it actually means a 'literal' city or town... #4172 in the greek...

The 'saint's' graves or tombs were in the earth.. they were opened when Jesus the Christ was crucified and the vail was rent in two.. they were opened signifying His victory over death and the ability for man to come back to God thru Him only.

They didn't come out of the grave until after His resurrection as Jesus is the 'first' fruit.. resurrected from the dead. I believe that the 'saint's resurrection after His resurrection was a 'witness' to the people of that day to His power and His victory over death. As 'they' appeared unto many. It stated they went 'into' the city.. at that time it doesnt tell us that they 'ascended' into heaven to the New Jerusalem.. but that they went 'into' the holy city and appeared unto many.

I believe personally that these 'resurrected saints' did appear in Heaven but it was when Jesus Himself ascended... there is no record of this but its a personal belief of mine... He led those that were in Shoel, ( in 'Abraham's bosom', the 'holding place for the righteous dead') into Paradise when He ascended. He brought them out out of there after He was crucified and descended in the heart of the earth for 3 days. Scripture declares that He 'preached' there... He was 'proving' and declaring His victory over sin, death, hell and the grave. He then ascended taking those in Abraham's bosom with Him... 'proving' His victory over death to those that were there.

Comment

Originally posted by ARCHER42 View Post
                        ------------------------------------------------------------

Job knew he was righteous, but he knew the "source" of his righteousness, which was from God Almighty Himself.

My answer is no.....

if you look at the discourse between Job and God in the 40th Chapter of Job...

Job says...... Behold, I am vile.....

In the 42 Chapter of Job... Job says...
                        Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Had Job believed that his righteousness.. was his own or his own making and that it was 'good enough' then Job would of never confessed this to the Lord in his discourse. Job is a revelation of God's Providence over all things...
                        What did the Lord mean when he said to Satan, "Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man,"?

What did Job mean when he said,"My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live."?

terrell

Comment

... I read the scripture you have twisted out of it's context and was mystified so I read from verse one so as to grasp the context. In context the scripture points out that, as I stated the old saint were indeed looking forward to the day of Christs appearance here on the earth. I have no idea how you have managed to pervert the scripture to mean anything else to you but you are in serious need of the Holy Spirits enlightenment and for that I do pray on your behalf. As for the tribulation having already occurred, is you glass empty? You need more than an assertion to establish doctrine. Empty and voiceless statements are not of God.
                          ... And if you are led of God, why are you, in this string, where the gentleman asked a question concerning Job, interjecting confusion? Confusion is not of my LORD it is of Satan.

... Once more you offer no indication of your assertion and when the text is read in context these events are occurring in the city where the Christ is crucified. Surely your not trying to prove that Jesus is still on the cross in Heaven, as your statement would indicate, are you?

Comment

Thank you, great use of scripture to illustrate the truth.

Comment

What did the Lord mean when he said to Satan, "Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man,"?

What did Job mean when he said,"My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live."?

terrell

Are you even reading what I'm writing in my posts? It seems like your repetitive in your questions. And I don't understand what your trying to 'understand' thru this thread.

God Himself stated that Job was a perfect and upright man.... is that equal to Jobs righteousness?

What do you consider to be 'righteousness' in the Old Testament?

The Bible declares that Abraham 'believed' and followed God.. so that was accredited to him as Righteousness.... Noah the same thing... was it their 'own' righteousness.. of course not .. It was God's... God's righteousness accredited to them because they believed... as it was so well put by Boangry.. in the above post.

I will pose you a question..... do you think that you have any rightouesness outside of the PERFECT righteousness of Jesus the Christ .. who is the Gift of Righteousness?

Comment

Working...
                              X