Woman 8 months pregnant and homeless - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman 8 months pregnant and homeless - help

A really nice woman I am trying to help, is 8 months pregnant and homeless. She has no place to live, has been sleeping in a tent in the woods in Southern California at eight months pregnant, and is desperately looking for a place to stay before her baby is born, otherwise social services is going to take her son away and put him up for adoption, and she'll be separated from her son forever, simply because of lack of money.

She desperatley needs prayer and any help that anyone can think of. Please pray for a kind person to open up their home and heart to her, and give her a safe place to stay, so that she can give birth and care for her newborn for his first few months of life. Please pray that somehow she'll get the finances she needs to rent a place to stay.

Seeing this woman walk around my town, being so heavy with child, can't help but remind me of Mary being told there was no room at the inn. I think of it every time I see her.

The interesting thing about this woman, is that she has great Faith. Anytime I talk to her, she says that she's concerned about the situation, but knows God will help her and is working on this problem and she's just continuing to believe.

I felt directly led to post here. And, I've been a member on these boards a long time (2 years, regular posting). If there's anything anyone can do to help this woman, or any church in Southern California that can help her, please contact me. I don't have the finances to help her myself.

~Moon

Alot of areas have shelters for pregnant women, if that area does not, you could look at a nearby state. Another thing is if she is young enough, Job corps in some states have facitiies for single parents, but they do test for drugs and have no tolerance for any messing around in that area.

We helped a person like this once, she was an alcoholic, she gave us her child and willingly went right back to her life of homelessness and alcoholism. All the winter camping equipment we gave her was sold right away and used to buy more alcohol. All she kept was the winter boots and coat.
    While it is true that politicians can use any word they want, we reply that language works only when those using it agree on what the words mean, and that the meaning of words cannot be unilaterally changed by someone without the agreement of others. -William Lutz

Comment

She's not a drug addict or an alcoholic. Just a woman who's had some unfortunate things happen in a short course of time. Regardless that the woman you helped went back to her old ways, in my belief you still did the right thing by showing her such help and compassion. You never know when that seed of kindness will take root in someone's life somewhere down the road.

~Moon

Comment

Got some thoughts, check your PM

Shalom,
        Tanja
        Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
        2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
        If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
        http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
          She's not a drug addict or an alcoholic. Just a woman who's had some unfortunate things happen in a short course of time. Regardless that the woman you helped went back to her old ways, in my belief you still did the right thing by showing her such help and compassion. You never know when that seed of kindness will take root in someone's life somewhere down the road.

~Moon
          O absolutly, I agree
          While it is true that politicians can use any word they want, we reply that language works only when those using it agree on what the words mean, and that the meaning of words cannot be unilaterally changed by someone without the agreement of others. -William Lutz

Comment

I'll certainly add my prayers. I can't imagine being on the streets in this kind of stage.

However, i also can't fathom that Child welfare would be so crude as to just take her child without making her any offers of remedying her situation.
            I mean, that's real nice, telling a person like that "get off the streets, or we'll take your kid." Instead they should counsel her on her options,.... i'm not sure to what extend that has been done?

If she was willing to travel i could at least temporary give her a place to stay.

Shalom,
            Tanja
            Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
            2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.

Comment

Sometimes there is no houseing help to a Mom until she has the baby.

Comment

You're probably right about Tomorrow. I have no clue because i've never been in that situation.

I realize she won't have funds to travel, but i'd see what i could work out for her. Has she no relatives?

Shalom,
                Tanja

Comment

Her mother died when she was 19, and her dad when she was 25. (She's in her 30's now). I'll check my pm's, Tanja.

~Moon

Comment

I'll be praying for her as well. Is there a local church she can go to that might be able to offer some kind of help? Praying for the baby as well.
                    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

There is no law that states that her baby can be taken away unless she is on drugs or has a past consistent mental health issue. I think you better do some research, this woman may be taking you. Just make sure it is valid. There are many homeless in Ca and the shelters are astounding and outstanding. Don't mean to be so negative or questioning and I think it is great you are trying to help this woman, but please check out the local laws.

Comment

Sadly there are women and children living on the streets, homeless. They had a big news story a while back about a lady having her baby while homeless and she planned on raising him on the streets...now in her case she wanted to be homeless and not improve her situation and I think CPS stepped in but not sure if they did anything or not. I will keep her in my prayers on this for sure! I think if she goes to the hospital when she goes in labor social services will help her find a place after the baby is born. She just may not be aware of what is out there to help her. I would call SRS and see if they can direct you to other places that could help her. Meanwhile I will be praying for her and the baby!

God bless
                        "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

I will be praying for her and for her baby. God will provide a way when there is no way. She and that precious baby are God's children, and He will take care of them. All of us need to agree in prayer, believing that a home will be found for them.

Comment

Homeless woman

I would accept her into my home if she wants to relocate to Wisconsin.
                            Last edited by miepie; May 18th 2008, 02:52 PM. Reason: removing emailaddress

Comment

Thank you, everyone. And that's incredible generous of you, Miepie. I'm looking into everything. I did find a place called Elizabeth House, that is a resource and group home for homeless pregnant women in Los Angeles. When I called though, they said that they had no openings, but to call back on Monday to talk to the executive director.

If she could get in there, it seems like a really good place.

In terms of the laws in California, social services can take a baby if they feel the child is in danger, or being ill-cared for by its parent. Living in a tent poverty stricken with little food and no clean water, may qualify as neglect and abuse in their eyes, so I do think her fears are valid.

My other opinion is that this woman is not trying to take anybody, or pull the wool over anyone's eyes. She's eight months pregnant and living in a tent. You can't really fake that. So, regardless of whatever got her in her situation, it's a real situation and she needs help.

Pray that Elizabeth House will find an opening for her in their program. I'll post tomorrow after I talk to them again.

Thank you for all your prayers, and advice, and open hearts.

~Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X