OSAS vs NOSAS, FREEWILL vs PREDESTINATION, Baptism, Gifts, blah blah blah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSAS vs NOSAS, FREEWILL vs PREDESTINATION, Baptism, Gifts, blah blah blah

How easy is it for all of us to get so caught up in doctrinal differences and whatnot. The discussions are fun and hey... I love it. But then somewhere along the line... we forget what it is really all about.

Feed the poor: But there are programs. But the government will help them. Give them the number to meals on wheels. Everyone has their excuses. Tell me something... have you ever made one of those recommendations and then gone to your cupboard full of food, open the full refrigerator, and then prepare quite the meal for you and yours?

1 John 3:16 We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
    17 But whoever has the world's goods, and beholds his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?
    18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

How can the love of God be in you?

Cloth the naked, Visit the sick and those in prison, house the stranger: We have ministries that take care of that. The hospital won't let me do that any more. You can't trust people any more and they could be an ax murderer. They have hotels and dollar menus at McDonald's now days.

Matthew 25:41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, `Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
    42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
    43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.
    44 "Then they themselves also will answer, saying, `Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?
    45 "Then He will answer them, saying, `Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.
    46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Sheep or a goat?

Tend to the widow and orphan: More programs and programs and programs.

James 1:27 This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

How defiled is your religion?

Yeah... we major on a lot now and again and like I said... we can discuss this stuff. But how hard has our hearts become? Look around you right now... if you can't see this then you are either blind or hard hearted... or worse... both.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    How easy is it for all of us to get so caught up in doctrinal differences and whatnot. The discussions are fun and hey... I love it. But then somewhere along the line... we forget what it is really all about.

Feed the poor: But there are programs. But the government will help them. Give them the number to meals on wheels. Everyone has their excuses. Tell me something... have you ever made one of those recommendations and then gone to your cupboard full of food, open the full refrigerator, and then prepare quite the meal for you and yours?

1 John 3:16 We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
    17 But whoever has the world's goods, and beholds his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?
    18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

How can the love of God be in you?

Cloth the naked, Visit the sick and those in prison, house the stranger: We have ministries that take care of that. The hospital won't let me do that any more. You can't trust people any more and they could be an ax murderer. They have hotels and dollar menus at McDonald's now days.

Matthew 25:41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, `Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
    42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
    43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.
    44 "Then they themselves also will answer, saying, `Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?
    45 "Then He will answer them, saying, `Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.
    46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Sheep or a goat?

Tend to the widow and orphan: More programs and programs and programs.

James 1:27 This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

How defiled is your religion?

Yeah... we major on a lot now and again and like I said... we can discuss this stuff. But how hard has our hearts become? Look around you right now... if you can't see this then you are either blind or hard hearted... or worse... both.
    I saw the title of this post and thought to myself that you are about to begin the longest thread in bibleforums history.

Good Scriptures, though.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

It's all in the titles... folks may not respond but they'll sure enough come in to see the ruckus. In the process... perhaps a prick of the heart.

Visit our new website
      ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
      "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Amen

I imagine the potential that is held by members of this board if everyone could work together

..then sigh
        "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

Now I didn't have any extra food to give this last pick up..but I DO have a huge pile of clothes collected that I am going to take down to a church that gives these clothes out for free (unlike Goodwill or the Salvation army that do charge for them) while they cost little there...some people simply do not have any money at all! I give to the Women's shelter...sometimes these women flee with nothing but the clothes on their backs. They have nothing...

They certainly don't have the money to buy clothes for themselves or their children. Since the shelter's office moved they no longer have room for direct donations so I have to take it to this church but was reassured it would get to them. They were able to accept a sack of brand new toothpastes I had collected...(every time my mom goes to Sam's she picks up a tube of toothpaste for me...I have no idea why...and its a kind I can't use either.) so I just saved them then took them all down there. That way they don't go to waste. Toothpaste is expensive! And no one ever thinks about people needing toothpaste, or shampoo or soap....things we take for granted. So think about those women next time you have you are overstocked in things like that!

Good post Peter! Even us poor people can find something to give. These pile of clothes were given to me as leftovers from a garage sale my sister had that involved seven families. I usually include shoes Nate's outgrown, toys, and books he has outgrown, also for the children...who have nothing....

God bless
          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post

Or even worse, you are both, and you think you are helping people.

Over 21K posts?! WOW! I imagine you've seen it all. I've only been posting on Christian boards for a few weeks, and I am weary with wrangling words.

I think you deserve a vacation......... Or maybe need to find a profession?

The Antichrist will be taught and raised by the christian church. He will come from your own, not from the "outsiders". "Thus saith the Eternal, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house. . . ."

Comment

Originally posted by IamBill View Post
              I imagine the potential that is held by members of this board if everyone could work together
              You'r right Ken, the title will draw almost everyone! Good Job

Comment

Good post!

I agree fully. The single best thing we can do to advance God's kingdom is to do true, selfless service in His name. Preaching the gospel is vitally important, of course, but service is what sets peoples' minds in a state where they are most receptive to it. Like love and marriage, you can't have one without the other.

Comment

Hi Ken!

Great post and very apt.

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Luke 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Luke 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
                  Luke 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this Scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Perhaps off topic, but why did Jesus not quote all of Isaiah at the end of Luke 4:19?
                  Do you think that it is because He will fulfil that part when He returns?

Isa 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

Comment

what drew me here was the "blah, blah, blah"...I thought "now your talking!

Excellent post PP..and none of us can argue or debate that! There is nothing like good conviction for our hearts...thanks.
                    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by IamBill View Post
                      Amen

..then sigh
                      Sure... and imagine if every Christian donated ten bucks or bags of food and or clothes every two weeks? Not talking the poor Christian folk but those that actually have some extra. None of the poor Christians would be hungry, naked, out in the cold... etc. When done taking care of the household of faith... we'd have much left to take care of others as well testifying of our great faith. Yeah... imagine.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

I believe that it is up to believers of our nations to be the change we want to see in the world. Poverty, hunger, lack of clean water, slavery are just a few of the diseases that plague the earth and the only cure for them are people who are ready to fight and who refuse to let them continue in that state. It’s time for the "church" to stand up, to let our voices be heard and move together in action to eradicate social injustice from our world. If you have ever wanted to be apart of something bigger than yourself I dare you to explore possibilites of what only $10 can do and let your passion and desires move you to action. Give to the Red Cross or your local soup kitchen. Don't complain that you have no money when you have resources beyond all measure, if even donating your time or giving away your old clothes. If you actually open your eyes and look you will find and see the needs around you.
                        Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Oh the days of the old Salvation Army... soap soup and salvation they offered...
                          The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

Originally posted by timmyb View Post
                            Oh the days of the old Salvation Army... soap soup and salvation they offered...
                            Do you see this as one of the solutions to our nations needs? Has the "church" begun to focus in areas that cause them to forget the hungry, the poor, widows, orphans and homeless?
                            Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Though I was referring to the wisdom God has graced many member here with.

I suddenly feel convicted too, I could give 20 a month, it would be the 20 that gives me this little community though.

wow, should I say good-bye to you all and the internet ?

I am suddenly very troubled by this
                              "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

Working...
                              X