Eternal Security vs OSAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eternal Security vs OSAS

I am a new member but not so new a Christian. Life committment to Jesus Christ by faith since 1972 & have never had the slightest desire to return to the old man.
    I know who my God & Savior is. The Creator, Owner & Master of the Universe, my Boss of life. I am eternally secure in the power of His resurrection. In my few days here I have seen several comments about believing or not believing "once saved always saved". One thing I have not seen addressed is "Eternal Security." I would like to offer my thoughts on the difference in the two.

I am a VERY practical Christian & not much of a theologian at all.
    I find the every day person that speaks of OSAS defines it something like this: you can be saved & then do anything, or live any way & still be saved. Then they prove that by David. He was guilty of adultry, husband murder, & the murder of many men fighting w/ Uriah when he was killed.
    This definition is totally foreign to the Scripture & no where to be found anywhere therein.
    I find that folks who believe the above have an easy believism salvation which is as unscriptural as their defiaition of OSAS. IT is a free gift so all you gotta do is believe. There is no real repentance nor is there any life committment in the above. Both are heresy.

Eternal Security now.
    Saved is before secure.
    Saved is repent, turn away from sin.
    Converted = Changed. I am not that way any more.
    Changed is hate the sin that ruins life & loving the Savior that changed my life. Converted is I am not that way any more.
    I cant do it any more. Not because God wont let me but because it is not in me to do it any more. I can still cuss. I know the words but I cant do it because it is not in me anymore. I can gamble still. I know what hand beats what but I cant do that because it is not in me anymore to do it.
    I am not that way any more.
    When Jesus bought me with a price & I became His servant & no longer the servant of sin I live in Christ's Kingdom, I work in His field, & I play in His yard. I dont go the places that Satan owns any more.
    In His Kingdom, field, & yard I am secure for all eternity. Jesus guards his Children better than we guard our earthly children. Satan can not rechain me & drag me away from Jesus my Savior.

Am I perfect & w/o sin. NO! But when I mess up I know it & run to my redeemer for cleansing. Does he kick me out of the Kingdom & let me back in after the cleansing. NO! When this Sheep strays my Good Shepherd comes after me w/ His Rod & Staff that comfort me w/ knowing His discipline is making me more like Him on a daily basis. I am still a Sheep.

My Savior told lost humanity how lost I was in my former state. He told me exactly when I would be saved. When I confessed w/ my mouth & believed in my heart that that God raised Him from the dead.
    Since He told me I was lost, & when I was saved, if I could get lost again He would have told me that too.
    Real repentance, life committment to Jesus in OBEDIENT faith saves to the uttermost. That is why I am Eternally Secure.
    LT

I have know hundreds of folks that believe in "OSAS" and not one of them view it as a license to sin. That is not the view of any denomination that teaches that doctrine.

The differense between one who believes in OSAS vs Greasy Grace is this. OSAS believers understand the reason to abstain from sin differently than those who believe that you can lose your salvation. To the OSAS crowd the reason to no sin is because of your love for and relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. The others abstain from sin out of fear of losing ones salvation. That is a huge differense. To understand the OSAS view just think of a parent and child. If the child does wrong does he cease being your child? Do you kick him out of the house until he appoligizes? Eventualy the child learns to do good out of fear of rejection. That is not a good place to be nor a good emotional state for the child. In the OSAS view the parent does not disown the child but corrects the child and as the child begins to understand his permenance with his mother or father the good behavior springs not from fear but from the love that the child has for the parent. He does not wish to disapoint the parent because he loves them and know that the parents love them unconditionaly.

This is what Paul was speaking about in Romans when he stated "What shall we say then, shall we continue in sin that Grace may much more abound? God forbid." He then goes on to tell of the relationship one has with the father.

In my personal view I am in the middle of the 2 camps. I believe that a born again believer is secure in his salvation yet retains the right to intentionaly leave and break fellowship with God. In this case he is no longer saved and is no longer able to repent. This is found in the book of Hebrews where the writer states:
    Hebrews 6: 4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
    Lcash

Comment

I'm in the OSAS camp but I do not view it as a license to sin at all.

Salvation is a gift. You cannot earn something that is free. But by faith we believe that we are saved through the sacrifice of Jesus and once you believe that, you cannot "earn" your way into God's grace--you already have it. But once we REALLY accept God's gift, we also get the gift of the Holy Spirit and we let the Holy Spirit convict us when we do sin and repent of that sin (repent meaning to ask forgiveness and make every effort not to do it again). We do this to THANK God for His gift of Jesus, not to earn it.

So maybe the OSAS should be Once TRULY saved, always saved. God's word says over and over again that once we are His, NOTHING (not even our own sin) can snatch us from His hand. You either believe that or you don't. The only unforgiveable sin is a sin humans cannot commit anyway. It applies to the devil and his angels because they had knowledge of God and the truth but denied it anyway. That is not the same as a person who has never accepted Christ (like an atheist) or someone who is struggling with anger and other emotions and in a week moment, curses God.

I realize this is a hot topic for many and I am not attempting to start any arguments. Just sharing my beliefs to help others who may be struggling with this issue, as I have in the past. This is where my prayers and study of God's word has led me. If you don't agree, I'm not upset with you. I just pray that all will come to a peace about their understanding of God's word and be able to have unity in essentials and grace in the nonessentials.

HUGS
      sigpic

Comment

I am eternally secure in Jesus Christ-not OSAS, because that's not what I believe the Bible teaches-and while some churches may not teach OSAS as 'greasy grace" that's the way it comes across to the people.

Really though, you will find that those who pronounce themselves OSAS will just say that the one who was saved-then lost was just never saved in the first place. Me-I am secure in Christ-He is my redemtion. I still though, have free will and could walk away from Him IF I wanted to-He doesn't have robots He has children.

Comment

Originally posted by godsgirl View Post
          I am eternally secure in Jesus Christ-not OSAS, because that's not what I believe the Bible teaches-and while some churches may not teach OSAS as 'greasy grace" that's the way it comes across to the people.

Really though, you will find that those who pronounce themselves OSAS will just say that the one who was saved-then lost was just never saved in the first place. Me-I am secure in Christ-He is my redemtion. I still though, have free will and could walk away from Him IF I wanted to-He doesn't have robots He has children.
          I agree, you do have free will and you can TRY to walk away. But in my experience, He won't let you. A truly saved individual, even if they try to renounce what they know (and I did just that once) will always feel that "pull" on their hearts. Just like my children, when they are disobeying, they KNOW better and they eventually come around. That's why His word says, "nothing can snatch you out of my hand once you are mine"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by longtooth View Post
            Jesus guards his Children better than we guard our earthly children. Satan can not rechain me & drag me away from Jesus my Savior.
            I love the way you out that - so true. People on this Forum who think that Jesus just lets us apostasize should consider how commited He is to keeping us! He's not going to let Satan reclaim His own! No way!

Am I perfect & w/o sin. NO! But when I mess up I know it & run to my redeemer for cleansing. Does he kick me out of the Kingdom & let me back in after the cleansing. NO! When this Sheep strays my Good Shepherd comes after me w/ His Rod & Staff that comfort me w/ knowing His discipline is making me more like Him on a daily basis. I am still a Sheep.
            Brilliantly put.

Real repentance, life committment to Jesus in OBEDIENT faith saves to the uttermost. That is why I am Eternally Secure.
            LT
            It's called Perseverance of the Saints!

Comment

Originally posted by lcash View Post
              In my personal view I am in the middle of the 2 camps. I believe that a born again believer is secure in his salvation yet retains the right to intentionaly leave and break fellowship with God. In this case he is no longer saved and is no longer able to repent. This is found in the book of Hebrews where the writer states:

Lcash
              But that's firmly in the NOSAS camp! It's interesting that the prevalent OSAS view in the UK doesn't get mentioned much here - it's that those who "decide for Christ" and make little or no progress and go back to the world are generally not described as "never having been saved" but instead they will just lose their reward! Like God is going to drag them into Heaven, kicking and screaming?!?

If you are in between the two camps, you are like me - only those who endure to the end will be saved yet those who are truly born again can never be lost - work it out (quite literally!)!

Comment

Originally posted by godsgirl View Post

Sorry - that just doesn't make sense - if you can walk away, and God ALLOWS it to happen, then you are not eternally secure!

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleQ View Post
                  I agree, you do have free will and you can TRY to walk away. But in my experience, He won't let you. A truly saved individual, even if they try to renounce what they know (and I did just that once) will always feel that "pull" on their hearts. Just like my children, when they are disobeying, they KNOW better and they eventually come around. That's why His word says, "nothing can snatch you out of my hand once you are mine"

It's actually "no one" but the sentiment is still true - you're mixing it with Rom 8:38-39! Good post, though!

Comment

No one/nothing. Same difference. The "things" that attempt to snatch us away generally come from Satan (the someONE). I am His forever, regardless.
                    sigpic

Comment

Eternally Secure!!

So much better way to put it than OSAS. When we are IN HIM (John 14:20), we are eternally secure. We are in the hand of God, washed by the blood of Christ, sealed by the Holy Spirit (II Cor. 1:22), and no man, nor Satan, nor any other can take us away. If -(I mean WHEN) we sin "we have an advocate with the Father, even Jesus Christ." I John 2:1

I have also been a Christian for many years. There have been times I was out of His will, and I knew He called me back to Him. From personal experience I can testify that when I didn't respond right away, He didn't stop calling me, drawing me, back to Himself.

I like the OP, especially where LT said, "I am still a sheep."

Me too. And I praise God today for that.!!
                      g
                      "Gripped in the Hand of God"

Comment

As a believer in the TULIP principles, of course I am OSAS.

However, where I differ from most is that a Christian cannot sin according to 1 John 3.

Cannot here infers inablitity, not that a Christian should not sin, but that a Christian is UNABLE to sin.

Yuke

Comment

i never heard of osas or nosas or calvanisim and alot of other stuff before i came to this board. i just read the bible. so alot of this stuff suprises me.

so i have one good chrstian friend in real life, and i was telling him about it -- hes like are you serious people believe in osas, i said yea they do.

to which he replies well then heck yea im all about osas cause how else does god expect us to party. then he raises his fists pumps them in the air and chants " go osas go osas "

Comment

Originally posted by fewarechosen View Post
                            i never heard of osas or nosas or calvanisim and alot of other stuff before i came to this board. i just read the bible. so alot of this stuff suprises me.

so i have one good chrstian friend in real life, and i was telling him about it -- hes like are you serious people believe in osas, i said yea they do.

to which he replies well then heck yea im all about osas cause how else does god expect us to party. then he raises his fists pumps them in the air and chants " go osas go osas "
                            Please read this scripture from Romans 6

Romans 6:15-16

15What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
                            16Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
                            Now ask your friend if he is still so joyful over the ability to sin. That determines who your master truly is.

This goes to the heart of the Perseverance of the Saints. We abstain from sin not from fear of punishment but from the point of a servent that obeys his master out of love and relationship.

Lcash

Comment

oh no dont get me wrong hes not osas at all, he believes he can be cut off of scripture says, so his worry goes deeper than anyones who thinks they are truly saved.

he knows he has the holy spirit so knows he has christs promise that if he abides in him till the end he will be saved.

he was just pointing out in his way the decieving freedom that osas provides for some.

Comment

Working...
                              X