Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer or more modern lexicons and concordances

Greetings,

Has anyone who uses lexicons and concordances (esp. Strong's) discovered that older editions don't always agree with the more modern editions? Am I simply being paranoid or are more modern lexicons and concordances less (perhaps more) faithful?

Example: I was reading another topic and Ro 16:7 regarding the word Junia(s) was being disputed. Someone posted from the Strong's; Blue Letter Bible lexicon:

2458 Iounias
    Junia = "youthful"
    1) a Christian woman at Rome, mentioned by Paul as one of his kinsfolk and fellow prisoners

Here is how my old edition of Strong's as well as my SwordSearcher program define the same word:

2458 Iounias
    Junia - of Latin origin; Junias, a Christian:--Junias.

I'm a little suspicious because the topic was whether or not women should lead, or have oversight over men, or pastor a church. Since it has been argued by some that this Junia was a woman, and some believe also an apostle....well you can guess the rest. Is there bias in newer editions?

Have any of you come across other words that have been defined somewhat differently in older vs modern lexicons/concordances?

Many Blessings,
    RW

My 1980 red letter edition of Strongs is the same as yours. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if modern editions are less faithful and biased toward a certain agenda.

Comment

The verse in question is

Rom 16:6-7
      7 Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen, and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
      NASB

I am not confident that Junias was a woman. Nor am I confident that "outstanding among the apostles" suggest these two were apostles. Even so, we have other scriptures to balance the entire doctrine upon. For instance, we know that God ordained Debra to lead. But she was the exception rather than the rule. We see the rule throughout scripture. So, even if Junias is an apostle and a woman, this would be an exception. And we must also remember it is one verse. The standard is two witnesses. Drawing conclusions from this one verse is dangerous, IMO.

Having said that, I think there are biases in many works. For instance, the Greek words for deacon is "servant or minister".

NT:1247 diakoneo (dee-ak-on-eh'-o); from NT:1249; to be an attendant, i.e. wait upon (menially or as a host, friend, or [figuratively] teacher); techn. to act as a Christian deacon:

and

NT:1249 diakonos (dee-ak'-on-os); probably from an obsolete diako (to run on errands; compare NT:1377); an attendant, i.e. (genitive case) a waiter (at table or in other menial duties); specially, a Christian teacher and pastor (technically, a deacon or deaconess):

KJV - deacon, minister, servant.

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

I think Dorcas was a deaconess. Deacons are not put in place of authority but as those who serve and minister to physical needs. In other words, we are all to be deacons or deaconesses. Perhaps the office of a deacon is another matter. But it's an interesting thought.
      Matt 9:13
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

I'm a little suspicious because the topic was whether or not women should lead, or have oversight over men, or pastor a church. Since it has been argued by some that this Junia was a woman, and some believe also an apostle....well you can guess the rest. Is there bias in newer editions?

Have any of you come across other words that have been defined somewhat differently in older vs modern lexicons/concordances?
        ------------------------------------------------------------
        Roger,
        I've come across the same thing....

I've got an older version of the Strong's Concordance with the Hebrew and Greek translations.. Its so worn out the Red cover is gone on the front and back... I"ve got the pages that are torn out tucked together so I don't lose them....I've looked at the newer ones and in some cases I've felt that they were put together 'different'... as far as translating the Hebrew and Greek... I never did buy or purchase any of the newer versions.. I was led to 'stick' to my older version.... I agree with Oma and I wouldnt be a bit suprised if they were being changed very subtily to lean towards a certain bias....

Does anybody know where I can get an 'older' version of Strong's Concordance I'm treating my 'older version' now like it was the 'Declaration of Independence'... lol ... very delicately....

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X