one taken, one left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one taken, one left

This is so interesting, and I've been meaning to share this, but it was something discovered and shared by a fellow classmate of mine, so I cannot take credit for this, but I have done the research myself and she is right: to be taken is good, and to be left is bad.

I had always read Matt. 24:37-42, specifically vv.38-39, that the ones taken were those swept away in judgment by the great Flood, leaving Noah and his family alive and safe. This is true, as the word "took / away" there means to be snatched away from life into death. However, I had then incorrectly believed that when Jesus immediately after said one would be taken and the other left to mean that one would be taken / killed and the other left / saved. Not true.

The actual word "taken" in vv.40-41 is not the same as "took / away" in vv.38-39, though in the English it is similar. What this different word means is to be received unto one's self. And what's more, the word for "left" is very similar to "took / away", in that it means to be rejected or denied.

Basically, when Jesus says in Matt. 24:40-41 and Luke 17:34-36 that "the one will be taken and the other left", He means that the one will be taken inside the ark, and the other will be left outside of the ark; the one will be taken outside of the city, and the other will be left inside the city. This phrase, then, is not about the resurrection at all (especially seen by Luke 17:32), but is about being kept through the great tribulation! Will you be covered by God's hand and the shadow of His wing in those days, or will you be left to your own devices? This is the true meaning of this phrase. It may very well change your eschatological perspective on many things!

Lk.11

p.s. - Has anyone else noticed that in Luke 17:34 two men are in one bed (as in Sodom)?
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Originally posted by astrongerthanhe View Post

p.s. - Has anyone else noticed that in Luke 17:34 two men are in one bed (as in Sodom)?

Then they will both be left behind.
    sigpic

Comment

Luk 17:34I tellG3004you,G5213in thatG5026nightG3571there shall beG2071twoG1417meninG1909oneG3391bed;G2825theG3588oneG1520shall be taken,G3880andG2532theG3588otherG2087shall be left.G863

the translaters inserted men.
      Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
      C. S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by calidog View Post
        Luk 17:34I tellG3004you,G5213in thatG5026nightG3571there shall beG2071twoG1417meninG1909oneG3391bed;G2825theG3588oneG1520shall be taken,G3880andG2532theG3588otherG2087shall be left.G863

the translaters inserted men.
        Huh. I wonder why?

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

Yeah, that's strange.

literal translation is:
          Luk 17:34 I say to you, In that night two will be on one bed; the one will be taken and the other will be left.
          Luk 17:35 Two will be grinding together; one will be taken and the other will be left.
          Luk 17:36 Two will be in the field, the one will be taken and the other will be left.
          Luk 17:37 And answering, they said to Him, Where, Lord? And He said to them, Where the body is, there the eagles will be gathered together.
          Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
          C. S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Joe King View Post
            Then they will both be left behind.
            Thats what I thought too - the original Greek simply says "two" will be in a bed - which in a sense creates a different problem - an unequal yoke?

Comment

Wow, my post script sure is receiving a lot of attention...
              but what of the main body of my post - are there any thoughts on that?

Comment

This is so interesting, and I've been meaning to share this, but it was something discovered and shared by a fellow classmate of mine, so I cannot take credit for this, but I have done the research myself and she is right: to be taken is good, and to be left is bad.

I had always read Matt. 24:37-42, specifically vv.38-39, that the ones taken were those swept away in judgment by the great Flood, leaving Noah and his family alive and safe. This is true, as the word "took / away" there means to be snatched away from life into death. However, I had then incorrectly believed that when Jesus immediately after said one would be taken and the other left to mean that one would be taken / killed and the other left / saved. Not true.

The actual word "taken" in vv.40-41 is not the same as "took / away" in vv.38-39, though in the English it is similar. What this different word means is to be received unto one's self. And what's more, the word for "left" is very similar to "took / away", in that it means to be rejected or denied.

Basically, when Jesus says in Matt. 24:40-41 and Luke 17:34-36 that "the one will be taken and the other left", He means that the one will be taken inside the ark, and the other will be left outside of the ark; the one will be taken outside of the city, and the other will be left inside the city. This phrase, then, is not about the resurrection at all (especially seen by Luke 17:32), but is about being kept through the great tribulation! Will you be covered by God's hand and the shadow of His wing in those days, or will you be left to your own devices? This is the true meaning of this phrase. It may very well change your eschatological perspective on many things!
                So you're saying this supports post-trib?
                ----------------------------------------------
                When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Guys, the two in the bed thing does not have to necessarily be sexual in nature. Keep in mind that we should not always view scripture from our cultural perspective. I went on a mission trip to Africa and saw two men holding hands. In my culture, that would be a HUGE no no. In their culture, it was perfectly fine. These men were not sexually deviant. Nor were they sissies. Shoot, they killed lions with spears. No, they were just showing affection for a close friend and brother.

It would not surprise me to learn that people share beds in 3rd world countries in ways the western world, with all it's wealth, would not do.
                  Matt 9:13
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

Comment

My Bible doesnt say that

This is so interesting, and I've been .11

Where did this come from, My Bible says nothing about 2 men.

Comment

I think the Bible was just showing you how that there will be two men sleeping, resting after a hard day of work in bed and one will be taken while the other will be left behind. I have never thought of this passage as those men being sinful, but rather, I think the passage is telling us that we will be doing everyday activities when the day of our lord comes. Just as the following passage describes two women at the mill working when the day of the lord occurs. It may be that those men are so poor that they can not afford separate sleeping areas. Their bed could be on the floor for all we know.

I also feel that the Lord will call the Godly to him and meet him in the sky. This is the description of the rapture.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                        Guys, the two in the bed thing does not have to necessarily be sexual in nature. It would not surprise me to learn that people share beds in 3rd world countries in ways the western world, with all it's wealth, would not do.
                        Hello, Brother Mark! I agree with you on this. I remember my grandparents and great-grandparents speaking about life in the days when they were young, and they talked about how the women and girls of the family, as well as their girl friends who might be visiting or female farm helpers would share the few beds they had at home, and the men did the same thing. I see no reason to view this Bible verse as indicating the men were sharing the bed in a sexual nature.

Comment

The context was that of Sodom and Gomorrah. So of course there's evidence from the text that these could be two men sharing one bed in an abominable nature. But again, that was just the post script, and not at all the point of this thread. Thank you to calidog for pointing out that this was an editor's decision to place the word "men" in the text. Discussion complete, I should think.

I wrote this thread to share with you all that the one taken is *covered* through the tribulation, or *removed* from the city where the wrath of God will be poured out and taken into the wilderness. It's not about being taken in judgment, nor is it about being taken in a rapture. The one left is not left behind, as if he missed the rapture, nor is it they who are left alive in the wake of God's wrath. Rather, it is those who are *denied* the covering of God's hand, or those who are *not* forcefully removed by angels from cities which are about to be destroyed.

Does this support post-trib? In a word, yes. Mainly, though, having been enlightened to the actual meaning of these passages, I just felt this to be a very misunderstood phrase by all camps, and so felt urged to share here the true meaning. If anything, we can all walk away with the correct understanding of Jesus' meaning, and see how it affects our eschatology, if at all. Blessings!

Comment

Lk.11

This is correct because the gathering here is of mortals who remain mortal into the time of the saints reigning.

Heb 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Noah and sons types Christ and His ministers who throughout the past 2000 years has been preparing a house by which the household of faith of the endtimes is preserved through the coming vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.

The ark itself types the Bride of Christ, Ephesians ch 2b. Rev.7a Rev.14:1 Rev.21.

The destination of those taken, gives the answer to just who the taken are---

Luk 17:36 Two will be in the field, the one will be taken and the other will be left.
                            Luk 17:37 And answering, they said to Him, Where, Lord? And He said to them, Where the body is, there the eagles will be gathered together.

Those gathered from the field, are not the eagles who are with Christ by resurrection.

The same answer is given in--

Mat 24:21 For there will be great affliction, such as has not happened from the beginning of the world until now, no, nor ever will be.
                            (vials of wrath)

Mat 24:22 And except those days were shortened, not any flesh would be saved. But on account of the elect, those days will be shortened.
                            ( If the saving of the elect who remain mortal was not important to God then why would He say this?)

Mat 24:23 Then if anyone says to you, Behold, here is the Christ! Or, Here! Do not believe.
                            Mat 24:24 For false christs and false prophets will rise up. And they will give great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
                            Mat 24:25 Behold, I tell you beforehand.
                            Mat 24:26 Then if they say to you, Behold, He is in the wilderness; do not go out. Behold, He is in the inner rooms; do not believe.
                            (There can be no saint of the resurrection tempted into looking for Christ in inner rooms or desert places previous to Christs return. This can only apply to the mortal elect who are young children of Zion and due to the fact that Christ has returned or no one can be tempted to look for Him somewhere on earth.)

Mat 24:27 For as the lightning comes forth from the east and shines as far as the west, so also will be the coming of the Son of Man.
                            Mat 24:28 For wherever the dead body may be, there the eagles will be gathered.
                            (This can only refer to the day of light which begins at Armageddon and it is not so that all mortals who obeyed the messages of Rev.14 are gathered to be with Christ and His eagles in Jerusalem where He came to first to deliver them, Though all will see Christ's coming from Heaven, He arrives in a cloud, light above but very dark underneath until the day of light which destroys the wicked and banishes satan from Armageddon on)

Merton.
                            One can know a lot about the Bible and still not live righteously. Mat ch 23.

A little knowledge lived rightly is better that much knowledge lived wrongly.

Comment

Lk.11

Greetings Astrongerthanhe,

Itís been quite some time since I was given this study. I have long ago forgotten where this came from, but it is very convincing (at least to me). I hope you also find it helpful.
                              Who's Taken and who's left?

Matthew 24:37-39 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days that were before the flood, THEY (the wicked) were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark. And THEY (the wicked) knew not until the flood came and took THEM (the wicked) ALL AWAY; so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be.

THEY and THEM are the WICKED (ungodly unbelievers).
                              Verse 40-41 - Then shall two be in the field, the (wicked & just together) one SHALL BE TAKEN, and the other left. Two shall be grinding at the mill; the (wicked with the just) one SHALL BE TAKEN and the other left.

Luke 17:26, 27 As it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the day of the Son of Man. THEY did eat, THEY did drink, THEY married wives, THEY were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came and destroyed THEM (the WICKED) all.

Verse 34-36...I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed, the (wicked & just) one SHALL BE TAKEN (destroyed) and the other left. Two women shall be grinding together; the (wicked & just together) one SHALL BE TAKEN (destroyed) and the other left. Two men shall be in the field; the (WICKED) one SHALL BE TAKEN (destroyed) and the other left.

RAPTURE believers think THEY will be the ONE TAKEN. If you think YOU will be TAKEN, lets see what Jesus says will happen to you.

Luke 17:37, Jesus answers the disciples question of what happens to the TAKEN ONES. Jesus said, WHERE THERE IS A DEAD BODY, THERE THE VULTURES WILL GATHER.

2 Peter 2:5 (God) saved (kept safe) Noah...bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly (WICKED).

Luke 17:29,30 ...(in) Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from Heaven and destroyed THEM ALL. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.
                              ALL THE WICKED are destroyed, once again.

Matthew 13:47-50 Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a net that was cast into the sea and gathered of every kind, which, when it was full, they drew to shore; and they sat down and gathered the good into vessels, but THREW THE BAD AWAY. So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and SEVER THE WICKED from among the just, and cast them into the furnace of fire...

Once again the GOOD remain and the BAD are thrown away. THE WICKED TAKEN and destroyed "from among the just," who remain on the earth.

I Thessalonians 5:3 For when THEY (THE WICKED) shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction shall come upon THEM...and they shall not escape.

Matthew 24:21,22 and Mark 13:19,20 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be. And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved (survive); but for the electís sake whom He hath chosen, He hath shortened the days.

How can there be THE ELECT during this time IF they went in THE RAPTURE?

ELECT is also mentioned in Luke 18:7; Romans 8:33; Colossians 3:12; Titus 1:1

Proverbs 2:21, 22 For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall REMAIN in it, but THE WICKED shall be cut off (taken/destroyed) from the earth and the transgressors shall be rooted OUT of it.

Psalm 145:20 The Lord preserveth ALL that love him; but ALL THE WICKED He will destroy.

Proverbs 11:31 The righteous shall be recompensed IN the (world) earth...
                              Psalm 101:8 I (God) will early (first) destroy THE WICKED of the land...
                              Psalm 119:119 All THE WICKED of the earth you discard (throw away) like dross.
                              Proverbs 25:4,5 Take AWAY the dross from the silver...Take AWAY THE WICKED from before the King...

Isaiah 5:24 and 29:5 The flame consumeth the chaff (WICKED).

Job 21:18 THEY (THE WICKED) are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth AWAY.
                              Job 38:13 ...take hold of the ends of the earth that THE WICKED might be shaken OUT of it.

Malachi 4:1 For behold the day cometh...and all that do WICKEDLY, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up...

Psalm 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land (earth) and dwell therein FOREVER.

Psalm 37:9-11 For evildoers (WICKED) shall be cut off (destroyed); but those that wait upon the Lord shall inherit the earth.

Isaiah 13:9 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger...and He shall destroy the sinners thereof OUT of it (the earth).

Psalm 52:5 God shall likewise destroy THEE (THE WICKED) forever; He shall take THEE AWAY, and pluck THEE OUT of thy dwelling place.

The above are just some of the Scriptures that make it CLEAR that the righteous STAY, and THE WICKED GO.

Ezekiel 9:4-6 and Revelation 9:3,4 talk about THE WICKED being destroyed in the midst of the RIGHTEOUS.

Many Blessings,
                              RW

Comment

Working...
                              X