Man is the image and glory of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man is the image and glory of God

What do you get out of this verse concerning glory?

1 Cor 11:7
    7 For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
    NASB
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    What do you get out of this verse concerning glory?

1 Cor 11:7
    7 For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
    NASB
    He is the crown of God's creation - but what do you get from these ones?

who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person... Heb 1:3 NKJV

Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me... Jn 17:24a NKJV

We are to be consumed with a passion for Christ, who has received great glory for dying for our sins and rising again - arfe you suggesting that we should glory in ourselves becuase we are the image and glory of God? Er, does this mean that the womenfolk glory in the menfolk? And that the women are somehow NOT the image and glory of God?

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
      are you suggesting that we should glory in ourselves becuase we are the image and glory of God? Er, does this mean that the womenfolk glory in the menfolk? And that the women are somehow NOT the image and glory of God?

Oh, my first post was very unassuming. I haven't suggested anything yet. Maybe it is time to start. I like the verses you quote. Jesus was the exact image and nature of God. He was the brightness of His glory.

Jesus... the brightness of the glory of God. That's an interesting statement. What does that mean? How are we then to be the glory of God?

Rom 8:29-30
      29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren; 30 and whom He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
      NASB

How are we glorified?
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

that's interesting... this is deep... meditation time...

he DOES put his Spirit, his very being inside of us... the third person of the Trinity, the fullness of God dwelling in man... that's as good a guess as I got...
        The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

God's own character=Jesus=what we are to be like.
          We are supposed to glorify God by being more like Jesus. By being made more and more into His image, we are made more and more like Christ, who is the reflection of God. We are to be the same reflection, we are to be made in God's image through Christ who is the EXACT image of God.
          Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

2Co 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

we are glorified by beholding his image and being transformed by it... from glory to glory... this is amazing and powerful... glorious... ahhh

good post saved7
            The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

Originally posted by timmyb View Post
              2Co 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

we are glorified by beholding his image and being transformed by it... from glory to glory... this is amazing and powerful... glorious... ahhh

good post saved7

I was wondering if someone would pick up on that scripture, I was too lazy I admit to search/copy/paste and all that. Now what does it mean to BEHOLD Him?Over and over the bible tells us to behold the Lamb of God/Jesus/Christ. It goes deeper than simply looking at something/one.
              Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

I think it means that we (humans) are his greatest creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Saved7 View Post
                  I was wondering if someone would pick up on that scripture, I was too lazy I admit to search/copy/paste and all that. Now what does it mean to BEHOLD Him?Over and over the bible tells us to behold the Lamb of God/Jesus/Christ. It goes deeper than simply looking at something/one.
                  I think it means to gaze upon Him in love and wonder - kind of like when you're in love and you just can't stop looking at the girl and you're in awe at how beautiful she is - so that we treasure Christ above all else in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                    Oh, my first post was very unassuming. I haven't suggested anything yet. Maybe it is time to start. I like the verses you quote. Jesus was the exact image and nature of God. He was the brightness of His glory.

Jesus... the brightness of the glory of God. That's an interesting statement. What does that mean? How are we then to be the glory of God?

Rom 8:29-30
                    29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren; 30 and whom He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
                    NASB

How are we glorified?
                    Ah, NOW I see where you are going! Yes, our ultimate purpose is to be conformed to the image of Christ - when we see Him, WE SHALL BE LIKE HIM, FOR WE SHALL SEE HIM AS HE IS! WOO HOO!

Comment

Ah, NOW I see where you are going! Yes, our ultimate purpose is to be conformed to the image of Christ - when we see Him, WE SHALL BE LIKE HIM, FOR WE SHALL SEE HIM AS HE IS! WOO HOO!
                      And that is how we are glorified. We become "like him". Timmy posted a great verse above. As we read the mirror of the word, we see Him in us. Where we are out of whack, we straighten it up in order to be more like Him. Still, a simple reading of the following verse is profound! When we look into a mirror, what do we see? When a saved man looks into a mirror, he should see the body of Christ.

2 Cor 3:17-18
                      18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
                      NASB

Glory is not just praise. However, when one sees the glory of God, praise will follow! We have misunderstood glory in scriptures. It is character. God is glorified when we become like Him in character. Jesus glorified God because he was just like God in character. Man was created to be in the image and glory of God. Man's character was to be molded and shaped into the character of God or said another way "Man is the image and glory of God".
                      NASU

Comment

Blows Me Away...

And then there is this:

"I shall behold Your face in righteousness; I will be satisfied with Your likeness when I awake" (Ps 17:15).
                        The Glory/Face of Yahweh is incorporated directly into the liturgy in my faith tradition. It is one of my favorite parts of worship--when at the conclusion of service, pastor stretches out his arms over the congregation and says...

"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. "So shall they put my name upon the people of Israel, and I will bless them" (Nu 6:24-26).

Comment

I think it means to gaze upon Him in love and wonder - kind of like when you're in love and you just can't stop looking at the girl and you're in awe at how beautiful she is - so that we treasure Christ above all else in life.
                          Yes, to gaze would be a good example...have you ever looked at something that is soooo beautiful, like a crystal clear brook, and just looked deeply at it, as though you just can't get enough. Like you are trying to "feel" it and understand it's beauty in some way. It's kind of like that sort of looking. With a deep desire to not only admire it, but become a part of it, immersed in that water and understand it, to experience it.
                          That is how in depth we are to look at our Lord, in order to become more like Him, we have to become more and more a part of Him; understand His nature and character in our hearts, allow Him to become the breath we breath, the life blood in us.
                          At least that's the best I can describe it, with such finite human words.

Comment

sitting in his presence helps alot

Comment

What is a proper response if we come to see the glory of the Lord and understand it properly? How should it affect us?

1 Peter 5:5b-7
                              “ God resists the proud,
                              But gives grace to the humble.”

6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."

What was Isaiah's response?

Isaiah 6:5
                              So I said:

“ Woe is me, for I am undone!
                              Because I am a man of unclean lips,
                              And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
                              For my eyes have seen the King,
                              The LORD of hosts.”

Or Peter's?

Luke 5:4-8

"When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”
                              5 But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” 6 And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. 7 So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!”

I guess these passages show me that when these men honestly saw themselves and their condition before a Holy God, they were not thinking wow, awesome, beautiful, no, they recognized just how unworthy and how truly sinful they were, they were devestated.

Not to dampen your spirits, just trying to add some balance.

Good posts.
                              Mark

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14

(All Scripture quoted is from NKJV unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Working...
                              X