Salvation is not a privilege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvation is not a privilege

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God overlooked; but now commands all men everywhere to repent:
    Luke 17:10 So likewise you, when you shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Luke 17:10 is given after the Desciples ask Jesus to increase their faith(Luke 17:5)
    Basicaly, Jesus told them to just do that which they are suposed to do, because they have all the faith they need.

Obedience(Luke 17:10) to a command(Acts 17:30) is not meritable!!!
    To believe the truth is not meritable!!!
    To act upon the truth not meritable!!!

Salvation is not a privilege, it is a mandate!!!
    No one is condemned for not being privileged, however, all are condemned for not fulfilling the mandate.

If salvation was a privilege, then it means that some men are not supposed to obey the command for all men everywhere to repent; that would make null & void Acts 17:30.

That verse would not command all men everywhere, but only those who are first moved to do so.
    The Scripture would say, "...but now commands only those who are moved to repent to do so."

We are saved by His Grace.

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Roelof View Post
      We are saved by His Grace.

I agree....................

Comment

I agree, but salvation accompanied by baptism should bring about a change of mind, resulting in repentance. I don't know... this is where I start to get confused because of the separation of the mind from the spirit and all that jazz
        Vincenzo: "At one time, I had visions of entering the priesthood..."
        Kolchak: "And then the Inquisition ended and all the fun went out of it..."

Comment

I actually agree with Dioletic to this extend:...

Would any of you propose we are saved by grace and allowed to continue in disobedience/sin?
          Would God pour out His grace on those that continue to be stiff necked?
          We see the examples in the OT as well as in the NT of those that disobeyed.

Yes, God has lots of patience and is long suffering, but be aware that:
          Rom 9:15 For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
          However, i would seriously not bank on that, and think "everything's gonna be alright" while being lax to obey. Cause no one can possibly know on whom God will continue to have mercy. It's like playing Russian roulette.

The part where i disagree with Diolectic on is that obedience, believing in truth, and acting upon truth are not meritable, because of this scripture:

Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Thanks for sharing your insight Dioletic

I would like to add a link to a thread i believe really complements this one:
          http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=127163

Shalom,
          Tanja
          Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
          2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
          If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
          http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Diolectic View Post
            Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God overlooked; but now commands all men everywhere to repent:
            Luke 17:10 So likewise you, when you shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Luke 17:10 is given after the Desciples ask Jesus to increase their faith(Luke 17:5)
            Basicaly, Jesus told them to just do that which they are suposed to do, because they have all the faith they need.

Obedience(Luke 17:10) to a command(Acts 17:30) is not meritable!!!
            To believe the truth is not meritable!!!
            To act upon the truth not meritable!!!

Salvation is not a privilege, it is a mandate!!!
            No one is condemned for not being privileged, however, all are condemned for not fulfilling the mandate.

If salvation was a privilege, then it means that some men are not supposed to obey the command for all men everywhere to repent; that would make null & void Acts 17:30.

That verse would not command all men everywhere, but only those who are first moved to do so.
            The Scripture would say, "...but now commands only those who are moved to repent to do so."

And not all men will, because they love other stuff more than they hate their sin against a just and Holy God.

Luke 17

6And the Lord said, "If you had faith like a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and be planted in the sea'; and it would obey you.
            7"Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come immediately and sit down to eat'?
            8"But will he not say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink'?
            9"He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? 10"So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.'"
            My kids have things to do which are expected of them. We thank them, but there are not great praises and accolades given them for doing what they are expected to do. That is a miminum requirement. It's expected. If they don't, we remind them to take care of what needs taking care of.

Such is with the slave. He is supposed to do what he did. No biggie, it was expected of him. Had the slave not done his work, the master would have chastized him for his slacking.

This doesn't make slavation a mandate. Salvation is free for the taking, and all men are commanded to seek it and receive it. But not all will. Plenty of evidence of that around us in the unsaved and lost. But this in no way madates salvation. God does not force Himself on us but wants us to come to Him freely and openly. Forced love is not love.
            Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
            Not second or third, but first.
            Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
            when He is the source of all hope,
            when His love is received and freely given,
            holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
            will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

it's dependant on the free will of man's choice to choose God... salvation begins with God, but man makes that choice and Christ secures us in that salvation... but just as freely as I made that decision I can exercise that same freedom to reject it if I so desire
              The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

Originally posted by Diolectic View Post
                As Augustine said "Command what you will: Give what you command".

God commands and then gives the faith, as a gift, to obey His command.

That is why it is by grace, not merit of works, that we are saved.
                WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
                securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
                  Would any of you propose we are saved by grace and allowed to continue in disobedience/sin?
                  Tanja,

Let's answer the question with your (our) own life experience.

Have you been saved by grace?

Have you, since being saved, ever been disobedient to God? Have you ever sinned since being saved by grace?

If you have then obviously God does allow us to sin and disobey even after coming to salvation. If not then there would be no process or purpose of sanctification.

Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
                  Yes, God has lots of patience and is long suffering, but be aware that:
                  Rom 9:15 For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
                  However, i would seriously not bank on that, and think "everything's gonna be alright" while being lax to obey. Cause no one can possibly know on whom God will continue to have mercy. It's like playing Russian roulette.
                  While we are not to be lax in our sanctification (and the true regenerated believer won't be by grace) we can also ALWAYS bank on God's infinite mercy which endures forever.
                  WDJD - what DID Jesus do

Toolman

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
                    This doesn't make slavation a mandate. Salvation is free for the taking, and all men are commanded to seek it and receive it.
                    Command and mandate are synonymous (they mean the same thing). That was Diolectic's point. Salvation is commanded not given by privilege.

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
                    But not all will. Plenty of evidence of that around us in the unsaved and lost. But this in no way madates salvation. God does not force Himself on us but wants us to come to Him freely and openly. Forced love is not love.
                    TBR,

Are you stating that God does not command people to be saved and judges those who are not with wrath? Are you stating that there is no "force" in this?
                    WDJD - what DID Jesus do

Toolman

Comment

The offer of grace is a privilege.

A privilege that we have the free will to accept or reject.

Comment

but what about enduring to the end?... salvation is given to those who call upon the name of Jesus and who endure to the end
                        The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

For the believer, Jesus the Christ is the Author and Finisher of your faith.... All the way from the moment your were Born Again of the Holy Ghost.. or regenerated spiritually.. till the Day you will stand before Him and See Him face to face.. It is by Grace that you have been saved... You didnt deserve it and its nothing you can work for.. pay for.. work out in the 'intellect of man' . He Starts it and He Finishes it.... if your truly His............ God the Father started it when He 'drew' you to the One who was Lifted up... Christ Crucified... the climax will be when you stand before Him and actually look upon the One who 'died' in your place... The day you look upon your Redeemer face to face... Thats the day I look forward to......

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                            TBR,

Are you stating that God does not command people to be saved and judges those who are not with wrath? Are you stating that there is no "force" in this?
                            We are not forced to love Him, to be forced into repentance or anything of the sort. God doesn't make us love Him, we choose to, starting with conviction and drawing of us to Christ by the Father.

None escape 1 of 2 things - being welcomed home to eternity or sentenced to hell. Mercy or judgement.

Boils down to free will. We can choose to go against the evidence that surrounds us or we can accept the One to whom the evidence testifies to.

Comment

Originally posted by timmyb View Post
                              but what about enduring to the end?... salvation is given to those who call upon the name of Jesus and who endure to the end
                              Indeed! For those who repent, accept salvation and endure in Christ until the end are saved!

Comment

Working...
                              X