The Book of Esther...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book of Esther...

I have just finished reading Esther. One reason I was reading it was due to the fact that my wife wanted a tatoo of Esther crown on her ankle , and since God is showing me how to relinquish the unbiblical control I was trying to impart on her life, I said it was okay if she feels God is not convicting her otherwise (I am still praying that God will show her different, if that is His will). Okay to the point now; I was disturbed to find out that after Esther overturned the law that Haman had made concerning the killing of all of Mordecai's people, which were the Jews, that Mordecai allowed all of the Jews to seek revenge on the people in the kingdom that originally wanted to kill all the Jews instead of allowing grace. I mean, it was okay, or though it seems, for the slaughter of thousands of people. I guess I dont understand.

P.S. King Xerxes and King Ahasuerus are one in the same? Different translations use one name while the other translation uses the other name.
    The evidence for evolution is, at best, very weak. The evidence for scientific irresponsibility on the part of evolutionists is tragically and sadly conspicuous. It should also be said that along with dishonesty, trust is another casuality of aderence to evolution; dissention amongst proponents of evolution is quite telling of the fact that there are serious problems with the evolutionary paradigm.

Originally posted by CRNA View Post
    I said it was okay if she feels God is not convicting her otherwise (I am still praying that God will show her different, if that is His will).
    He already weighed in on the subject . "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 19:28).

Physical graffiti should be nothing more then a Led Zeppelin recording.

todd

Comment

Originally posted by valleybldr View Post
      He already weighed in on the subject . "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 19:28).

Physical graffiti should be nothing more then a Led Zeppelin recording.

todd
      That is Old Covenant which no longer applies to Christians.
      “What Scripture doth plainly deliver, to that first place both of credit and obedience is due; the next whereunto is whatsoever any man can necessarily conclude by force of reason; after these the voice of the Church succeedeth. That which the Church by her ecclesiastical authority shall probably think and define to be true or good, must in congruity of reason over-rule all other inferior judgments whatsoever” ( Laws, Book V, 8:2; Folger Edition 2:39,8-14).

Comment

From what I understand, the book of Esther was a fulfillment of prophecy. Haman was an Amalekite, of whom God prophecied that they would all be wiped out. It was fulfilled in that book.
        Vincenzo: "At one time, I had visions of entering the priesthood..."
        Kolchak: "And then the Inquisition ended and all the fun went out of it..."

Comment

Originally posted by seamus414 View Post
          That is Old Covenant which no longer applies to Christians.
          Sorry, I was adressing the Christians who believe that "...it is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt. 4:4

todd

Comment

Sorry, I was adressing the Christians who believe that "...it is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt. 4:4

todd
            Exodus 22
            18 - "You shall not allow a sorceress to live.

Do you follow this as well?
            I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
            - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
              Exodus 22
              18 - "You shall not allow a sorceress to live.

Do you follow this as well?
              I don't live in a theocracy. The principle, however, still stands. todd

Comment

(Galatians 3:10-14)

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be every one who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, and do them." Now it is evident that no man is justified before God by the law; for "He who through faith is righteous shall live"; but the law does not rest on faith, for "He who does them shall live by them." Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us -- for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who hangs on a tree" -- that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
                Vincenzo: "At one time, I had visions of entering the priesthood..."
                Kolchak: "And then the Inquisition ended and all the fun went out of it..."

Comment

Ah, so THAT particular commandment only applied to Israel...
                  I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                  - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Let's get back on topic which has nothing to do with tattoos or the Law. Was the revenge on those who had intended to kill the Jews ordained by God or was it merely historically what happened? My opinion is that it's just what happened and not necessarily what God ordained. Like when Jacob's boys killed every man in the town where the boy had been with Dinah. That does not seem to have been ordained by God either. Now chill out and play nice!

God Bless!
                    II Timothy 2:15
                    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
                    Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

Sorry - I didn't think we were playing "un-nice". But, to get back on topic:
                      I don't have any tatooes just because they don't appeal to me but I won't judge anyone else for having one or not having one. It's between them and God, if they are a believer.

As for the Amalekites
                      1 Samuel 15:18
                      and the LORD sent you on a mission, and said, ' Go and utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against them until they are exterminated.'

Looks like God wanted them exterminated.
                      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

As for the Amalekites
                        1 Samuel 15:18
                        and the LORD sent you on a mission, and said, ' Go and utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against them until they are exterminated.'

Looks like God wanted them exterminated.
                        This was a command given to King Saul, not to Mordecai. It is not my point that the Amalekites should have been allowed to live, but simply that God does not seem to tell Mordecai to do so. God's will is going to be accomplished but by whose hand? You mentioned something you believe was given as a command to the nation of Israel not applying to others. In this case you point out a command given to Saul, why would you believe that automatically applies to Mordecai, as well?
                        Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
                          This was a command given to King Saul, not to Mordecai. It is not my point that the Amalekites should have been allowed to live, but simply that God does not seem to tell Mordecai to do so. God's will is going to be accomplished but by whose hand? You mentioned something you believe was given as a command to the nation of Israel not applying to others. In this case you point out a command given to Saul, why would you believe that automatically applies to Mordecai, as well?
                          Because God's will WILL be accomplished, no matter what. If one doesn't do it, another shall.

The law was given to the Israelites. The were kept healthy and had them most just system of governance of all the peoples around them. Why? In my opinion, it was ensure that the people remained alive and well with traceable lineage until the Promise was fulfilled.

Jesus was the reason for the Law.
                          - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Because God's will WILL be accomplished, no matter what. If one doesn't do it, another shall.

The law was given to the Israelites. The were kept healthy and had them most just system of governance of all the peoples around them. Why? In my opinion, it was ensure that the people remained alive and well with traceable lineage until the Promise was fulfilled.

Jesus was the reason for the Law.
                            You didn't answer the question. Why do you transfer a command given to Saul and seem to see it applying to Mordecai? The command to exterminate the Amalekites was given to Saul, was it not?

Comment

Originally posted by CRNA View Post
                              Okay to the point now; I was disturbed to find out that after Esther overturned the law that Haman had made concerning the killing of all of Mordecai's people, which were the Jews, that Mordecai allowed all of the Jews to seek revenge on the people in the kingdom that originally wanted to kill all the Jews instead of allowing grace. I mean, it was okay, or though it seems, for the slaughter of thousands of people. I guess I dont understand.
                              God works in all things. He left thousands if Israelites to die and killed thousands more during the 40 years of exile.

What do you see that action as, looking at the principle of it for what it was?
                              Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                              Not second or third, but first.
                              Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                              when He is the source of all hope,
                              when His love is received and freely given,
                              holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                              will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X