Some Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions

Today, when I was praying, I asked for the holy spirit to come into me, and I think I really felt it. In my earlier posts, I talked about getting this "feeling" of God being there... well today it was stronger than it ever was, like the faint warmth had turned into a fire. It was really wonderful! (by the way, I hope you can understand what I am talking about, I'm not really sure how to express any of this, I'm sorry if I don't make any sense!)

Still though, I'm getting doubts about my motives, and about how serious I really am about this... I think to myself, of all the non-Christians who come to this messageboard, I just *happen* to be the one who ends up changing their mind? But I guess it's going to happen to someone!

In the meantime, I'd like to buy a Bible. Any advice in doing so? i.e., which translation, where to get it, any particular publisher that's really good?

Also, are there any other changes I should be making in my life? I'm unsure about what's supposed to be different... and I've decided to tell my mother tomorrow when she gets home from work.

Bronagh, I believe what you are sensing is the spiritual. The reason you sense warming is because of the Holy Spirit interacting with your spirit. Many testimonies speak of warmth and many of light and still many more of just peace. One of the symbols for the Holy Spirit in scripture is fire. This surely is not coincidence.

Regardless, what I hope that you discern in all of this is trust or perhaps invitation to trust. Said another way, assurance. It is important to know this because this is how we "know" God. Consider:

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

So Jesus in the above clears up the matter for us. But what does the spiritual "feel" like? How do we "feel" the Holy Spirit? I think the right word is that we "know" the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spiirt is intimate with our spirit. We "know" Him. In Romans, the Apostle Paul tells us:

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

The above is so true. God touches us and we say, "God, is that you?".

I am going to leave the Bible recommendations to others. I use the King James Version almost exclusively but I am not dogmatic about it. Many would recommend the New American Standard Bible and I couldn't argue too much with that selection. But maybe others will have even better suggestions.

We have had more than a few come here and used the forum as a sounding board and either came to faith or rekindled their faith. Perhaps some will stop in to give you encouragement.

Let us know how it works out with your mom.

God Bless!
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronagh
      In the meantime, I'd like to buy a Bible. Any advice in doing so? i.e., which translation, where to get it, any particular publisher that's really good?
      You could start now with a free download of several versions at e-sword:
      http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

You can read in parallel if you like till you find a version your comfortable with.

When you decide to do a thorough read, cover to cover, use an easy to read translation. You can always go back later for in-depth study.
      Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
      C. S. Lewis

Comment

Also, are there any other changes I should be making in my life? I'm unsure about what's supposed to be different... and I've decided to tell my mother tomorrow when she gets home from work.
        You can trust God in this area to show you. If you have specifics we can talk about that. It's a great idea that you're going to connect with her and let her know.
        When I came to a conversion I could hardly wait to tell mine since I had asked her for so many years "is it really that simple?"
        Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
        C. S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Bronagh View Post
          Today, when I was praying, I asked for the holy spirit to come into me, and I think I really felt it. In my earlier posts, I talked about getting this "feeling" of God being there... well today it was stronger than it ever was, like the faint warmth had turned into a fire. It was really wonderful! (by the way, I hope you can understand what I am talking about, I'm not really sure how to express any of this, I'm sorry if I don't make any sense!)

Still though, I'm getting doubts about my motives, and about how serious I really am about this... I think to myself, of all the non-Christians who come to this messageboard, I just *happen* to be the one who ends up changing their mind? But I guess it's going to happen to someone!

Woooohoooo!!! Welcome to the family of God.

I prefer the New King James version for those who are new, and they typically have a good study bible version of that. Granted, not every footnote is 100% correct, so just take it with a grain of salt, and just trust what the bible says will be revealed to you in the right time. Which is God's time.
          A study bible BTW is a bible that has footnotes at the bottom by theologians to help explain some of the tuffer to understand verses.

And what you should be doing at this stage is reading a good bible and praying...daily. Take your time finding a church until you have read at least half the OT and the NT, so you know better what you are getting into. Too many wacked out churches out there these days, gotta be careful.
          If you are born again, you will know that there is something wrong with a church within the first few visits. There will just be some nagging thing inside of you, it's the gift of the Holy Spirit guiding you.

And the rest of the changes will take place naturally. er, at least they should, if they don't, then you need to spend some serious prayer time with the Lord. Oh, and these changes take place gradually, over a long period of time, while some of them will just dropped off you like water off a ducks back; right away.
          Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Great to hear your experience something few have the opportunity to! I understand what you mean when you say you cant really describe fully what is happening within you, it sort of goes beyond words. That is God though, He surpasses any expression we can think of and nothing is truly adequate in describing how massive a deal He is.

We have all been praying for you earnestly and God obviously has your life marked for something special in Him. Just remember though, that the life through Christ is something hated by the world. Every person on this board can tell you stories of how the world has tried to put them down. But dont be discouraged, if it was easy anyone could do it, but its not easy to submit, to trust in something greater than yourself. You have been chosen for a reason, for a purpose, God loved you so much His son died so you might live and have relationship with Him.

As far as translation goes, i use the NIV (New International Version) for my general reading of the Bible and i keep some other versions lying around for a comparison if i get stuck. Or you can use an NIV and use the e-sword on the web to compare/contrast.
            "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
            -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Great to hear of you recieving the Spirit and the Salvation of the King of Kings! I'll let the others lead you in your points, but I wanted to chime in with praise for you recieving the Lord!

Comment

I'm sorry that I haven't replied in a long time, but I had the end of my exams and things got a bit hectic. It's all over now though!
                Anyway, I think things are going well, spiritually I mean. I'm continuing to pray mostly, and I think it's starting to feel a bit more natural... actually, I neglected it for a few days earlier this week, and it was so strange, I felt kind of strange, as though I hadn't been eating properly or something. Is that odd?
                I still haven't bought a bible though, hopefully I'll do that tomorrow... Also, I haven't gone to church at all yet. I wanted to go back to the church near my house, to which I used to go when I was young, since it's the one I know the best and in which I would feel most welcome. But I haven't plucked up the courage to go just yet... I'm not sure why...
                Thanks for all your prayers and kind words!

P.s. do you think I'm ready to switch my status to Christian?

Comment

If you love Jesus and believe that you are starting a new chapter in life with Him as Lord then change your tag. There is a party in heaven right now mate...
                  "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
                  -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

P.s. do you think I'm ready to switch my status to Christian?
                    I think you already have! So, in that case it seems only fitting to change the one for the member "Bronagh" here.

Bibles. I like the King James Version. When you go shopping, try and see if the have something called the King James 21, or 21st Century. Also, here is one that might be interesting. It is a Scofield Study Bible, 1967 edition. The 1967 edition replaced words in the KJV with more mordern words and moved the original words to the margin. Almost any study Bible you get will have some downside. One of these for the Scofield Study Bible is the handling of the Genesis text. However, I don't think it disqualifies this study Bible and may inform you on how some Christians view creation. Others may recommend a Bible with no study helps at all. I am not a fan of that when such otherwise good resources are available. Here is what the 1967 edition looks like: http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore...L8XCWG3QWD0LX6
                    Originally posted by bronagh
                    Also, I haven't gone to church at all yet. I wanted to go back to the church near my house, to which I used to go when I was young, since it's the one I know the best and in which I would feel most welcome. But I haven't plucked up the courage to go just yet... I'm not sure why...
                    That is an interesting thing about going back to your "home" Church. Here is one of my favorite passages of Jacob going back to where God had visited him before. First, where God visited Jacob when he left his father's house and fleeing from Esau:

Genesis 28:10 And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran.

11 And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.

12 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.

13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;

14 And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.

15 And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.

16 And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.

17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.

18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.

19 And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.

20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

So this is Jacob leaving from his father's house. Now, several years later, here is Jacob about to return to his father's house, but the peace of such was not guaranteed because of Esau. Anyway, see where Jacob is told to go:

Genesis 35:1 And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother.

2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:

3 And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.

So, when you first can, rise up, be clean, put your Sunday Best on and go and make an altar to God!

God Bless!
                    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

I bought a Bible the other day, unfortunately money's a bit tight now so the decision was based on what was cheapest... I found a nice one which I think is alright, it's "New" King James Version, from what I can tell it's quite similar but with some old fashioned words and expressions replaced. Is this ok?

I also had a question about praying... and about the limits of what we can pray for. Is there a limit? What exactly can we ask God for? I know He loves us all, but sometimes I feel like I have no right to ask anything of him, sometimes it feels selfish... And sometimes it feels like concerns of mine may seem rather trivial to Him... And if He has a plan for everyone, how do we know that what we're asking for isn't going against his plan? So basically, my question is: What exactly can we ask from Him?

Comment

I use the NKJV too, it's one of the best translations.

You are right, God loves you - far more than your earthly father does. I assume that when you were little you asked your earthly father for whatever you wanted, you may have been taught, as I was to ask yourself 'Do I want it? Do I need it? Can I do without it?' first if money was tight. Well God has a super-abundance of everything, so there are no limits to what you can ask Him for. . . . however, prayer is also praising God, listening to God, and talking things over with Him, as well as asking for things. . . it is also wise to ask for His Will to be done in preference to yours if you don't know if your request is not for His Best. . . .

Comment

Are there any big changes in my life that I should be making now that I've started on the Christian path? I'm still unsure about how exactly should be different. Or should it be different at all?

Comment

Hey Bronagh, have you considered any more about being baptized? When you go to your childhood Church, ask about it. How does that Church view baptism?

What should you be feeling and doing? The biggest thing to realize as a young believer (know, in your spirit) is that you aren't going it alone. Our faith is often referred to as being "born again". That fits for a number of reasons. We are most vulnerable as a human when we are first born. The same is true Spirutally. We can be turned aside or offended and thus not mature. But we will never be turned aside or offended of Jesus as long as we look to Him as our Lord and Saviour and invite God to guide us Spiritually. This is done through prayer, devotions, studies of the scriptures, and fellowshipping with others in the faith.

Some things that should change would be things that we "let go" of. These would be the burdens we lay down as we take upon the yoke of Jesus. Maybe these are resentments or jealousies or guilts or dissapointments or heartbreaks or even sins that we don't want to confront. Each one has to be "laid down".

Equally, it would be important to know what we are "taking up". What we take up as Christians is "the Cross" or the yoke of Jesus. Basically that means our identification with Jesus and our trust in Him as our Lord and Saviour. We aren't "going it alone", we are "yoked" with Him! Now, this may ultimately mean some changes in your life because Jesus isn't going to just let you drag Him wherever. But I think you will get the idea.

God Bless!
                            Watchinginawe

Comment

Hey Bron, great to hear your news

I'm so excited for you mate, I'm still very fresh in my Christian walk myself, but those first few months in particular are mind-blowing... It's like walking into a different world. As a different person

You don't need to worry so much about things in your life which you should change - because the Holy Spirit is within you now, and He'll let you know what is and isn't right for you.

On the one hand, I would suggest you try and take a measured and somewhat subdued approach to any guidance you feel you're getting, as one problem which I think is pretty common is that when we're first full of the Spirit it can be a bit much for us to handle, and we can easily misinterpret our emotions or overreact. On the other hand, though - when I was first filled with the Spirit, I was sure that He was compelling me to give away and throw away loads of my stuff - so I did. I'm not so sure now that there wasn't more input from me than from Him in that call, but I really don't regret it in the slightest. So if you really feel like going a bit crazy - go for it

Woooooooooooooooooooooooo! Awesome news mate! Keep us updated on how God's working in your life! Wooo!
                              Call to Me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3
                              You put the stars in the sky and you know them by name, You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same, You are amazing, God.
                              I do not 'hope' I am saved and I do not 'think' I am saved, I know it with an absolute conviction. I know that I am saved just as I know that I think and I know that I feel. I am purchased and sealed, His possession.

Comment

Working...
                              X