No announcement yet.

Giants, Where did they come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Giants, Where did they come from?

I'm trying to have a discussion with a guy at work who believes that
    Genesis 6: 4, "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."
    Does not mean that demons mated with a race of "pre-humans" and giants appeared.
    I don't know how he arrives at this conclusion and he can't really explain it except to say prove he's wrong.
    Any help would be appreciated.

22 It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
    23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
    24 The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
    Lamentations 3:22-24

Your question is'nt clear. The verse you quote implys that demons or angels had sexual relations with humans, not "pre-humans", and their offspring were giants.

From the same book, genesis, we learn nothing about pre-humans.
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
    C. S. Lewis

Comment

That's my dilemma. He insists Gen. 6:4 means demons had sexual relations with a race of pre-humans and their offspring were giants.

I'm not familiar with the thought of demons having sexual relations with humans or angels for that matter, it's interesting but not what I'm after at the moment.

Let me put it this way and I'm sure I know the answer.

Was there a race of beings before Adam that demons could have had sexual relations with? and is it possible for demons to have sexual relations with a human?

22 It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

Comment

That section of the bible is after Adam and before the flood, so there were no pre-humans, just humans. In that section of genesis we read that angels, presumably fallen in nature, took on wives of humans and their offspring were giants. These were destroyed in the flood. After the flood were giants also but no more mention of angels and humans procreating.

"Was there a race of beings before Adam that demons could have had sexual relations with? and is it possible for demons to have sexual relations with a human?"

According to the bible, no. Adam was the first human.
        If you hold to the gap theory there may have been life before the creation in genesis 1:2. But that life would have been completely extinguished except for the angels.
        Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
        C. S. Lewis

Comment

I consider that giants are simply very big humans and nothing more. There bloodline making them tall was unique but I don't see how he is throwing demons in the mix. My advise is to be wary of strange interpretations.

The part "the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown" I suspect these were simply great men in there time with perhaps extra special qualities.

My bible reads like this. Genesis chapter 6 verse 4
          "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown"

So if you follow that you see that giants were on the earth before the sons of God had offspring. I consider they were just very big humans.

Comment

I know it has little to do my savation but might there be a scripture(s) or commentary to refer to.

Comment

Here are two opposing views:

Defender's Bible Notes
              Genesis 6:2

6:2 sons of God. The identity of these “sons of God” has been a matter of much discussion, but the obvious meaning is that they were angelic beings. This was the uniform interpretation of the ancient Jews, who translated the phrase as “angels of God” in their Septuagint translation of the Old Testament. The apocryphal books of Enoch elaborate this interpretation, which is also strongly implied by the New Testament passages (Jude 6, II Peter 2:4-6; I Peter 3:19,20). The Hebrew phrase is bene elohim, which occurs elsewhere only in Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7. In these three explicitly parallel usages, the contextual meaning can be nothing except that of angels. A similar phrase bar elohim, occurs in Daniel 3:25, and another, bar elim, occurs in Psalm 29:1 and Psalm 89:6. All of these also refer explicitly to angels. The intent of the writer of Genesis 6 (probably Noah) was clearly that of introducing a monstrous irruption of demonic forces on the earth, leading to universal corruption and eventual judgment.

Genesis 6:2

6:2 took them wives. The “taking” of these women most likely refers to fallen angels, or demons, “possessing” their bodies. The word “wives” (Hebrew ishshah) is better translated “women.” There is no necessary intimation of actual marriage involved. By this time in history, anarchism and amorality were so widespread that these demons were easily able to take possession of the bodies of multitudes of ungodly men; these in turn engaged in promiscuous sex with demon-possessed women, with a resulting rapid population growth, Satan perhaps hoping thereby to generate a vast army of human recruits to his rebellion and also to thwart the coming of God’s promised Seed by thus corrupting all flesh.

JV McGee

Gen 6:1-2
              CAUSE OF THE FLOOD
              In chapter 6 we see not only the Flood, but also the reason for the judgment of the Flood.
              This matter of "the sons of God" and "the daughters of men" is something that has caused no end of discussion. There are a great many good men who take the position that "the sons of God" were angels. I personally cannot accept that at all. Most of my teachers taught that the sons of God were angels, and I recognize that a great many of the present-day expositors take that position. However, I cannot accept that view, because, if these were good angels, they would not commit this sin, and evil angels could never be designated as "sons of God." Also, the offspring here were men; they were not monstrosities. I do not know why it is assumed by so many that the offspring were giants. We will look at this more closely when we come to verse Gen_6:4.
              Gen 6:4
              It says, "There were giants in the earth in those days," but it does not say they are the offspring of the sons of God and the daughters of men. It does say this about the offspring: "the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown." These were not monstrosities; they were men. The record here makes it very clear that the giants were in the earth before this took place, and it simply means that these offspring were outstanding individuals.
              Humanity has a tremendous capacity. Man is fearfully and wonderfully made—that is a great truth we have lost sight of. This idea that man has come up from some protoplasm out of a garbage can or seaweed is utterly preposterous. It is the belief of some scientists that evolution will be repudiated, and some folk are going to look ridiculous at that time.
              Evolution is nothing in the world but a theory as far as science is concerned. Nothing has been conclusive about it. It is a philosophy like any other philosophy, and it can be accepted or rejected. When it is accepted, it certainly leads to some very crazy solutions to the problems of the world, and it has gotten my country into trouble throughout the world. Anyone would think that we are the white knight riding through the world straightening out wrongs. We are wrong on the inside ourselves! I do not know why in this country today we have an intelligentsia in our colleges, our government, our news media, and our military who think they are super, that somehow or another they have arrived. It is the delusion of the hour that men think that they are greater than they really are. Man is suffering from a fall, an awful fall. He is totally depraved today, and until that is taken into consideration, we are in trouble all the way along.
              Then what do we have here in verse Gen_6:4? As I see it, Genesis is a book of genealogies—it is a book of the families. The sons of God are the godly line who have come down from Adam through Seth, and the daughters of men belong to the line of Cain. What you have here now is an intermingling and intermarriage of these two lines, until finally the entire line is totally corrupted (well, not totally; there is one exception). That is the picture that is presented to us here.
              I recognize, and I want to insist upon it, that many fine expositors take the opposite view that the sons of God are actually angels. If you accept that view, you will be in good company, but I am sure that most of you want to be right and will want to go along with me. Regardless of which view you take, I hope all of us will be friends, because this is merely a matter of interpretation. It does not have anything to do with whether or not you believe the Bible but concerns only the interpretation of the facts of Scripture.
              What was the condition on the earth before the Flood? What caused God to bring the judgment of the Flood?
              C. S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by trodder View Post
                That's my dilemma. He insists Gen. 6:4 means demons had sexual relations with a race of pre-humans and their offspring were giants.

I'm not familiar with the thought of demons having sexual relations with humans or angels for that matter, it's interesting but not what I'm after at the moment.

Let me put it this way and I'm sure I know the answer.

Was there a race of beings before Adam that demons could have had sexual relations with? and is it possible for demons to have sexual relations with a human?
                Some people see fallen angels = demons. This is not true.

Human + fallen angel = hybrid (giant/nephilim/mighty men)

Hybrid + death = Demon (disembodied nephilim)
                Nothing more. Nothing less.
                My faith in Christ is righteousness!
                Jesus came to save us, His Spirit to change us.
                Christ covers OUR imperfection with HIS perfection!!!

Comment

I always thought the Giants came from New York.

RJ Mac

Comment

Originally posted by joztok View Post

Very intriguing. Do you have a source to support the last part of your post?
                    http://www.mychristiansite.com/personal/vision/ <-- My site. Check it out

http://www.freehovind.com Please sign the petition to pardon Kent Hovind.

Comment

Originally posted by calidog View Post
                      That section of the bible is after Adam and before the flood, so there were no pre-humans, just humans. In that section of genesis we read that angels...
                      The bible doesn't call them angels (mal'ak). I think they're called bene Elohim. I was reading a bible commentary earlier today that said these were the sons of Seth marrying the daughters of Cain. And that Seth's family was very religious and Cain's family was not. Anyway the giants mentioned in Genesis doesn't necessarily mean huge. It can mean ferocious or violent. The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. -Genesis 6:11 Cain's descendants were behaving just like him.

Comment

Originally posted by joztok View Post

Where in scripture does it say that?

Comment

I've seen a video on YouTube about this subject. This is what that video says: it says that back in the days before the flood, the oxygen level was much higher that it is today, or after the flood. It's been tested, that if you grow a tomato plant in an oxygen tent that has twice the oxygen tent, the tomatoes will grow much bigger. Thus, if you apply that to humans, if we have twice the oxygen, we will grow much bigger.
                          Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
                          http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

Comment

Originally posted by trodder View Post
                            I'm trying to have a discussion with a guy at work who believes that
                            Genesis 6: 4, "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."
                            Does not mean that demons mated with a race of "pre-humans" and giants appeared.
                            I don't know how he arrives at this conclusion and he can't really explain it except to say prove he's wrong.
                            Any help would be appreciated.
                            The Greek Septuagint renders this term gigantes, which actually means "earth-born."

I posted more in post 6 of Matthew94's thread on the Nephilim. Here is the link.

Comment

Thanks for the information, plenty to chew on for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X