Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are We as gods - knowing good and evil ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Are We as gods - knowing good and evil ?

Many know where this topic comes from.

The serpent's words concerning the Fruit -
    Gen 3:5
    For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof,
    then your eyes shall be opened,
    and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

"then your eyes shall be opened"
    (we know that to be true- it happened)

"and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."
    was that true ?

God said - "for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

?
    "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

I think satan mixed a lie with truth. We are not gods but we know evil and good.

God said we will surely die, and we certainly die.
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
    C. S. Lewis

Comment

One would assume that A&E knew nothing of right and wrong before eating of the tree - pure, unadulterated innocence. So, in effect, the serpent was telling the truth - we are "like gods" in that we now know the difference between good and evil. The text implies nothing further.

It just shows that the truth can be dangerous when delivered by one with evil intent.

Comment

I was also taught that where it reads:
        "for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
        it would be better read:
        "for in the day that thou eatest thereof dying thou shalt surely die."

Adam and Eve DID surely die that day spiritually and they eventually died physically.
        I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
        - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Isn't anyone concerned that the serpent used the "name of the tree" as a means to "tempt" ?
          "Let no man deceive you"

Comment

Well for those who 'truly' believe that they can 'become like God' or become 'little gods'.... that spiritual apple must taste pretty good... I"m glad I"m not keen on spiritual apples.... for I trust in that New Adam.. to help me discern good and evil.... He teaches us to take a bite out of that 'strong meat'.... yum yum.....

Comment

Originally posted by ARCHER42 View Post
              Well for those who 'truly' believe that they can 'become like God' or become 'little gods'.... that spiritual apple must taste pretty good... I"m glad I"m not keen on spiritual apples.... for I trust in that New Adam.. to help me discern good and evil.... He teaches us to take a bite out of that 'strong meat'.... yum yum.....

Triple thumbs on that one
              "Let no man deceive you"

Comment

Originally posted by IamBill View Post

Triple thumbs on that one

Comment

hmmm this has me thinking

first i think we would have to figure out our definition of "gods" cause its not GODS.

second we were made in Gods image.

and to sheep and cattle and ants and everything on earth are we not a form of gods to them ?

able to kill who we will, pen them up do whatever we want, move mountains whatever.

i dont really care if we are gods or not gods and of what other gods there are --for they are not GOD

so i think it depends alot on the definition of gods

the other thing is God does not lie even for dramatic effect --- so when he says behold they have become like one of us , who is one of us ? -- he is not the author of confusion

22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

( on a side note not to derail threads as i often do -- it was very interesting bill your info on the tree --because i remembered christ saying- let the dead bury thier dead.
                  everyone walking around without the spirit is dead )

Comment

Originally posted by crawfish View Post
                    One would assume that A&E knew nothing of right and wrong before eating of the tree - pure, unadulterated innocence. So, in effect, the serpent was telling the truth - we are "like gods" in that we now know the difference between good and evil. The text implies nothing further.

It just shows that the truth can be dangerous when delivered by one with evil intent.

great last line crawfish

Comment

Unfortunatly according to my concordance it can be defined as; of the supreme God, or as a superlative angels.

The Spirit leads me to read it as angels.

However remember it doesn't say we will be like gods period, only that we will be like gods in having knowledge of good and evil, and certainly we have knowledge of that.

Comment

If I consider that the serpent tempted Eve and she gave into it's temptation then I should think that both Adam and Eve were already capable of sin before eating the fruit. Because god said do not eat of this kind but yet they were tempted to do so before eating it.

I consider that while they thought they would be as gods knowing good and evil instead because of the sin in going against The Lords will and taking the fruit without proper preparation they gained mostly evil emotions such as shame , fear and paranoia because they covered themselves and hid from The Lord. And from these complex emotions they began to reason things for themselves instead of following the commandments of The Lord.

They made clothes to cover themselves which makes me wonder if they began to have visions of crafty works such as woodworking and metal working all coming from the knowledge of good and evil.

I also consider that the temptation and the taking of the fruit was necessary in order for them to have total free will and reasoning. And to set them lose in the world that was full of wild things that do not know nor consider good from evil. So they would be prepared to do what is necessary and live in the world on there own and multiply and subdue the earth.

It's kind of cool to think that the fruit was there all along waiting for Adam and Eve in case they got really bored.

Comment

Hello? This is Satan telling Adam and Eve what God supposedly knows. Folks--consider the source! Why would we give this statement ANY credence?
                          Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Comment

Originally posted by SIG View Post

Hello? This is Satan telling Adam and Eve what God supposedly knows. Folks--consider the source! Why would we give this statement ANY credence?
                            Because God confirms it in verse 22?

Honestly, people, I think we need to get past the "you will be like God..." part. The tempter was not referring to the gaining of some supernatural power; ONLY to the power of discernment. In this, the tempter did not lie. The serpent's deception came in telling them that they would not die that day. For they did die that day - not physically, but spiritually - and the opportunity for eternal life was denied them.

As in our lives, the BEST deceptions are wrapped in truth, because they are more difficult to discern.

Comment

Originally posted by IamBill View Post
                              Many know where this topic comes from.

The serpent's words concerning the Fruit -
                              Gen 3:5

"then your eyes shall be opened"
                              (we know that to be true- it happened)

"and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."
                              was that true ?

God said - "for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

?
                              The devil might as well have said, you can judge better than God can if you eat this fruit. Just be earthy and materialistic about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X