Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Christians judge actions of others? Or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Christians judge actions of others? Or not?

Judge Not?? (Part #1)
    Should Christians judge actions of others? Or not? This is an important and serious issue of controversy to God's people today.

Matthew 7:1 Jesus said, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged:

But....

John 7:24 Jesus also said, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

Jesus made the above two statements which seem to contradict, don't they? So, should we judge others? Or, are we overstepping our boundaries when we do? Obviously this matter deserves more consideration and closer scrutinity of God's word.

Certainly there would be few, if any, on this board who can claim we are a "Judge" in a judicial sense---a public official who hears and decides cases in a court of law. Neither are many of us a "Judge" who is an appointed arbiter in a contest or competition.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd Edition:

JUDGE means - to pass judgment, as in a court case; to form an opinion about; to criticize; to censure; to think, consider or suppose.
    Other words for "judge" are DISCERN and TRY.

DISCERN means - to detect or perceive with the eye, the mind, or by spiritual means; to perceive distinctions; to detect; to understand the difference.

TRY means - to test; to examine or hear evidence (as in a court case); to put the accused on trial; to make an effort; an attempt.

JUDGMENT means - the act of judging; the capacity to perceive, discern or make reasonable decisions; a decision, opinion or conclusion reached after due consideration

Please refer back to these important definitions as we continue this vital study.

It is extremely important to study the CONTEXT of any statement in scripture.

Question:
    Who was Jesus talking to when he said, Judge not?

Matthew 7:1-5
    1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Answer: Jesus was speaking to ACCUSING, JUDGMENTAL HYPOCRITES!

In plain English,that means: Don't look with disgust down your brother's collar unless your own neck is clean! Don't point out his ring-around-the-collar if your own neck is dirty!

No one can JUDGE RIGHTEOUSLY unless they are capable of DISCERNING, and discernment is a gift of the holy spirit that is supposed to operate in us and through us.

I offer that a troublesome problem today is that many cannot tell the difference between DISCERNMENT and JUDGING.

I farther offer that many today have lost their sensitivity
    to right and wrong,
    truth and error,
    clean and unclean,
    between the holy and the profane!
    (Part #2 coming Thursday night. Till then, discussion, anyone?)
    Last edited by Diggindeeper; Jun 6th 2008, 03:56 PM. Reason: change John 7:4 to John 7:24
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Matthew 7:1 Jesus said, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged:

I consider this meaning do not judge unless you yourself is guiltless of that sin or of that wrong.
    Or in more crafty words as you put "Don't look with disgust down your brother's collar unless your own neck is clean!"

Comment

This will be a very interesting subject to discuss.
      I post on another board, it's pro-life (don't want this thread to veer off in that direction), but we have been discussing this exact issue.

One thing that has been brought up concerning judging is this scripture:

I Corth. 6:2

Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases?

I believe we are to judge with righteous judgement. Not point a finger at someone in condemnation, but we all have to make judgements about situations, circumstances and even people.

The problem that can arise if you make a "judgement", is that others will quickly point out that you're "judging" and condem you for doing so.

So, how best to judge according to God's Word without appearing to "judge" as to a mote in someone's eye?

Comment

When we are saved, born again, washed in His blood, we then have been judged and are seen through that Blood as righteous, therefore we can judge the fruit/actions of others, but not their heart.

Comment

we must not judge, but God does in His Word. Its only through the Word we must hold our standards and those standards can only really be held by those who are our brothers in Christ.
          "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
          -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
            Judge Not?? (Part #1)
            Should Christians judge actions of others? Or not? This is an important and serious issue of controversy to God's people today.

But....

John 7:4 Jesus also said, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

Jesus made the above two statements which seem to contradict, don't they? So, should we judge others? Or, are we overstepping our boundaries when we do? Obviously this matter deserves more consideration and closer scrutinity of God's word.

Certainly there would be few, if any, on this board who can claim we are a "Judge" in a judicial sense---a public official who hears and decides cases in a court of law. Neither are many of us a "Judge" who is an appointed arbiter in a contest or competition.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd Edition:

JUDGE means - to pass judgment, as in a court case; to form an opinion about; to criticize; to censure; to think, consider or suppose.
            Other words for "judge" are DISCERN and TRY.

DISCERN means - to detect or perceive with the eye, the mind, or by spiritual means; to perceive distinctions; to detect; to understand the difference.

TRY means - to test; to examine or hear evidence (as in a court case); to put the accused on trial; to make an effort; an attempt.

JUDGMENT means - the act of judging; the capacity to perceive, discern or make reasonable decisions; a decision, opinion or conclusion reached after due consideration

Please refer back to these important definitions as we continue this vital study.

It is extremely important to study the CONTEXT of any statement in scripture.

Question:
            Who was Jesus talking to when he said, Judge not?

Matthew 7:1-5
            1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Answer: Jesus was speaking to ACCUSING, JUDGMENTAL HYPOCRITES!

In plain English,that means: Don't look with disgust down your brother's collar unless your own neck is clean! Don't point out his ring-around-the-collar if your own neck is dirty!

No one can JUDGE RIGHTEOUSLY unless they are capable of DISCERNING, and discernment is a gift of the holy spirit that is supposed to operate in us and through us.

I offer that a troublesome problem today is that many cannot tell the difference between DISCERNMENT and JUDGING.

I farther offer that many today have lost their sensitivity
            to right and wrong,
            truth and error,
            clean and unclean,
            between the holy and the profane!
            (Part #2 coming Thursday night. Till then, discussion, anyone?)

Good post... Diggin..... Its nice to see you posting...

As far as Judging and Spiritual discernment,

Paul talked about certain immorality going on inside the Body of Christ.. This is found in 1 Cor 5.... Paul had judged that ... do deliver that one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh but the Salvation of the Spirit in the Day of the Lord.. This is discerning and judging within the Body.. He goes on to mention to not even have company with a brother or sister who is entangled in these lusts of the flesh.. purge away the old leaven.. put them away from oneself....

NOW He also states that God is the ONE Who will judge those outside the Body of Christ... he mentioned not to company with fornicators yet not altogether fornicators of this world yet alone idolators, extortioners, covetous, etc.. if you were not to company with them.. you would have to go out of the world... To company with them does not mean to 'practice' what they are practicing.. but to be around them.. maybe its your work.. maybe its your family... Who Knows.. He may use you to lead one of those to the Lord...

Personally.. that which is 'outside' the Body of Christ.. as far as discerning and judging.. I leave to the Only Righteous Judge, He is the One who is Worthy to judge....

If you look at 1 Cor 5 ... any kind of immorality... or even false teaching or doctrine should be discerned and judged accordingly.... You don't see this going on much today... Almost anything is accepted... which should remind of the 'times' we live in..

Comment

Proverbs 26:1-13 tells us about lack of discernment and the hypocrisy it shows.

Condemnation and forgiveness do not mix. There is liberty for Christians in serving God (Rom. 14:1-12)

note- Diggin's John verse is 24 of chapter 7, not verse 4

Comment

12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
                13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
                14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

we can judge actions for sure, we can look and see a murder and know its wrong-- but yet the key is not judging the person who did it.

if we couldnt judge actions we would be spiritually blind

Comment

... Matt. 7:1, when taken out of it's context, is the lost sinner's favorite verse. When the verse is examined in it's context it is stating the same thing that the verse in John is saying. I know that folks get tired of my repetition but we must always remember that context is the single most important aspect of the usage of any word or phrase. As English speaking people we all know that a cat is a small, sometimes cuddly animal and that a dog is man's best friend, or so it is said. All of the world knows that here in Texas, we have a colorful manor of speach that is chuckled over, the world around. So, if I tell you that it is raining cats and puppy dogs outside you would not expect to be able to walk out my front door and see cats and young pups bouncing off the ground as they topple from the sky. No, everyone, except, maybe, young children, would expect a deluge of rain to be falling in my neighborhood and of course they would be correct.
                  ... We must never forget that the entire Bible is one context and that the best interpreter of scripture is other scripture.

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill View Post
                    ... Matt. 7:1, when taken out of it's context, is the lost sinner's favorite verse. When the verse is examined in it's context it is stating the same thing that the verse in John is saying. I know that folks get tired of my repetition but we must always remember that context is the single most important aspect of the usage of any word or phrase. As English speaking people we all know that a cat is a small, sometimes cuddly animal and that a dog is man's best friend, or so it is said. All of the world knows that here in Texas, we have a colorful manor of speach that is chuckled over, the world around. So, if I tell you that it is raining cats and puppy dogs outside you would not expect to be able to walk out my front door and see cats and young pups bouncing off the ground as they topple from the sky. No, everyone, except, maybe, young children, would expect a deluge of rain to be falling in my neighborhood and of course they would be correct.
                    ... We must never forget that the entire Bible is one context and that the best interpreter of scripture is other scripture.

I agree and well stated..

Comment

I think the bible is clear that Christians CAN judge other Christians...but we cannot judge the nonbeliever...ARCHER42 brought up that chapter:

1 Corinthians 5
                      9 When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. 10 But I wasn't talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or who are greedy or are swindlers or idol worshipers. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 What I meant was that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a Christian yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or a drunkard, or a swindler. Don't even eat with such people.
                      12 It isn't my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your job to judge those inside the church who are sinning in these ways. 13 God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, "You must remove the evil person from among you."

On the Matthew 7...I found a great commentary on this one...this isn't about judging nonbelievers! Its about judging other Christians...notice it says 'brother'..we don't call nonbelievers 'brother'...as in 'brother in Christ'...while we are allowed judge other Christians...it cannot be done with self -righteous:

http://www.studylight.org/com/guz/v...=mt&chapter=007

David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible

Matthew 7 - The Sermon on the Mount (Continued)
                      A. Judgment and discernment.

1. (1-2) The summary statement on judging others.

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."

a. Judge not, that you be not judged: This is the Bible verse that seems to be most popular in our present day. But most the people who quote this verse don't understand what Jesus said. They seem to think Jesus commanded a universal acceptance of any lifestyle or teaching.

i. If we see what Jesus said in Matthew 7:15-16, He commands us to know people by the fruit of their life, and some sort of assessment is necessary for that.

ii. The Christian is called to unconditionally love. But the Christian is not called to unconditional approval. We really can love people who do things that should not be approved of.

b. Instead, Jesus is speaking against being judgmental, that is, judging motives and the inner man, which only God can know. We can judge the fruit of a man, but we can rarely judge their motives with accuracy.

c. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged: In addition, Jesus does not prohibit judgment of others. He only requires that our judgment be completely fair, and that we only judge others by a standard we would also like to be judged by.

i. Most of our judgment in regard to others is wrong, not because we judge according to a standard, but because we are hypocritical in the application of that standard - we ignore the standard in our own life. We judge others by one standard, and ourselves by another standard - being far more generous to ourselves than others.

d. With the measure you use, it will be measured back to you: According to the teaching of some rabbis in Jesus' time, God had two measures that He used to judge people. One was a measure of justice and the other was a measure of mercy. Which measure do you want God to use with you? Then you should use that same measure with others.

2. (3-5) An illustration of Jesus' principle regarding judging.

"And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
                      a. Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? The figures of a speck and a plank are real figures used humorously. Jesus shows how we are generally far more tolerant to our own sin than we are to the sin of others.

b. Look, a plank is in your own eye: Our hypocrisy in these matters is always more evident to others than to ourselves. We may find a way to ignore the plank in our own eye, but others notice it immediately.

i. A good example of this kind of hypocrisy was David's reaction to Nathan's story about a man who unjustly stole and killed another man's lamb. David quickly condemned the man, but was blind to his greater sin (2 Samuel 12).

c. First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye: Jesus doesn't say that it is wrong for us to help our brother with the speck in his eye. It is a good thing to help your brother with his speck, but not before dealing with the plank in your own eye.

God bless
                      "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Jesus certainly calls on us to be fruit inspectors! Judgmental discretion is required.

Comment

Here is my understanding, and how I hear the HS -

7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
                          (IOW- Don't think that- "you will not be judged")

2 For with what judgment ye judge,(?) ye shall be judged: (!)
                          and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

John 7:24 ? - no contradiction !

I will worry about judging myself first, lead by example.
                          "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

"Judge not, lest ye be Judged" is the most misunderstood verse in the Bible. This verse is referring to judging motives or the condition of the heart. This verse does not mean do not judge actions. As Christians in leadership, we have the responsibility to shepherd our flock. Part of that responsibility entails dealing with sins being committed by the flock. For example, can I have someone on the deacon board that is living in adultery? Can I allow the worship leader to be "shacked up" with someone they are not married to? "Judge not" refers to judging motives. An example would be when someone donates $100,000 to the Church. Many people are going to judge them and say "they did that just to be a show off." In actuality, we do not know the condition of that person's heart. It might be they did it as a sacrifice to God and wanted no recognition.
                            We are not to be hypocrites. We are to get the mote out of our own eye before removing the speck in our brother's eye. However, church discipline was ordained by Paul and we are to follow it. There must be accountability. You can not have Christians living in open sin in the midst of your church body and there not be consequences for that sin they choose not to repent and turn from.

Comment

In chapter six, Jesus has just finished teaching us how to pray and that we must learn to rely upon God for our every need. Now the LORD, our God, is about to instruct us in the use of the wisdom God has imparted to us.

Mat 7:1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
                              Mat 7:2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you.
                              Mat 7:3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
                              Mat 7:4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye; and lo, the beam is in thine own eye?
                              Mat 7:5Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

The lost man will often stop with the first verse, after all, you don't want to ruin your life, filled with sin, and most, even the Christian, will stop at the end of verse 2. As Jesus has stated in the second verse, we must never judge a person by stricter standards than we will want to be judged by. At the same time we are given the Ten Commandments (Exo. 20) and the first five books of the Old Testament are known as the Books of the Law because we are shown, down to the last detail, how to obey them.

Jesus is teaching us, verses 3 through 5, that when we judge that we must first make ourselves right with God. That does not mean that we can sin the same sin if we keep our mouths shut to the sins of another. We are taught, through out the Bible, that God seeks after a righteous people to call His own. We are also taught, through out the scriptures that we are to grow in His grace every day of our lives here on this Earth. As His servants we are to be examples and to never lead, even a child into sin. If we do not do our very best to live a righteous life and others see us claiming the name of Christ, they will follow our example and we will be guilty of leading them into sin, just as surely as if we have driven them there at the point of a gun.

Mat 7:6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you.

In verse 6 we learn that we are to judge. Without judging the circumstances and the mettle of the person we are in danger of making ourselves and the Gospel into Canon Fodder to the lost man. In another verse of scripture, Jesus taught us to be ready to kick the dust off our feet and to seek the person that is ready to hear the truth. Without judgment, one will stand there for all eternity, witnessing to the same lost man and thereby make him or herself useless to the work of the Kingdom.

Mat 7:7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
                              Mat 7:8for every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Not only does Jesus teach us to pray, He is now teaching us to be proactive in our prayers. At some point in the Christians life he or she must learn to seek after God to do for them the things that they are not able to do without Him.

Mat 7:9Or what man is there of you, who, if his son shall ask him for a loaf, will give him a stone;
                              Mat 7:10or if he shall ask for a fish, will give him a serpent?
                              Mat 7:11If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

God has opened His vault to us and to access it we need only to live our lives in service to Him. If we are going to serve God we must learn to follow His directions. In the Great Commission we are instructed to make desciples of men, everywher. If I walk up to a Muslim and begin to witness to him I must first judge him as being wrong and unsaved. If we are going to help the protitute break free of her sin, we must judge her as an unrepentent sinner before we can minister to her.

Mat 7:12All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets.

When you see that eighteen year old getting drunk every night and putting notches on his belt to record his sexual adventures, will you just e silent, and allow him to work his way into Hell or will you judge his sin and seek to plant a seed that might, one day germinate and be harvested, later, by another Christian?

Comment

Working...
                              X