Do you eat rabbit or pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you eat rabbit or pork?

It clearly states in the bible (Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 ) not to eat these..any many other types of meats, fish and birds, however in some places people eat rabbit..and a lot of people eat pork. I found a debate on the topic...

In the modern world, most Christians consume "unclean" meats not out of rebellion, but because of a belief that New Testament scriptures permit them to do so. The belief that Old Testament instructions on the consumption of animal flesh are no longer applicable is often referred to as "Christian liberty" (i.e. "freedom" from the "restrictions" of the Old Testament).

Is this something over looked by many Christians?
    Do you believe the New Testament allows us to eat these meats??
    "The closer you live to God, the smaller everything else appears"

Originally posted by Acts 10:9-16
    About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.
    I think this makes it clear. The old covenant has been fulfilled; the new covenant has replaced it.

Comment

Originally posted by crawfish View Post
      I think this makes it clear. The old covenant has been fulfilled; the new covenant has replaced it.

Are you saying this because your name and icon is an non-kosher sea creature? j/k
      “What Scripture doth plainly deliver, to that first place both of credit and obedience is due; the next whereunto is whatsoever any man can necessarily conclude by force of reason; after these the voice of the Church succeedeth. That which the Church by her ecclesiastical authority shall probably think and define to be true or good, must in congruity of reason over-rule all other inferior judgments whatsoever” ( Laws, Book V, 8:2; Folger Edition 2:39,8-14).

Comment

I don't eat my steaks rare....

Originally posted by steph22nlly View Post
        It clearly states in the bible (Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 ) not to eat these..any many other types of meats, fish and birds, however in some places people eat rabbit..and a lot of people eat pork. I found a debate on the topic...

In the modern world, most Christians consume "unclean" meats not out of rebellion, but because of a belief that New Testament scriptures permit them to do so. The belief that Old Testament instructions on the consumption of animal flesh are no longer applicable is often referred to as "Christian liberty" (i.e. "freedom" from the "restrictions" of the Old Testament).

Is this something over looked by many Christians?
        Do you believe the New Testament allows us to eat these meats??
        I believe (and I'm sure someone can tell us where it is.) In the book of Acts the only thing that the early church was forbidden to eat was Blood.
        And the bible says " let no man judge you in meat or drink."
        For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Comment

Jesus specifically said it is not what goes in your mouth that makes one unclean but what comes out.

Comment

And why doesn't my signature show up?
            For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Comment

LOL seamus414! Thanks for the replies i feel better now about that BLT i had the other night!

Comment

Actually this ties in to my post from a week or two back that was never resolved. The book of Acts seems to restrict Christians from eating food with blood in it or eating animals killed by strangulation. Do these restrictions still apply?
                “What Scripture doth plainly deliver, to that first place both of credit and obedience is due; the next whereunto is whatsoever any man can necessarily conclude by force of reason; after these the voice of the Church succeedeth. That which the Church by her ecclesiastical authority shall probably think and define to be true or good, must in congruity of reason over-rule all other inferior judgments whatsoever” ( Laws, Book V, 8:2; Folger Edition 2:39,8-14).

Comment

I read that actual drinking of the blood is wrong but animals clearly stated in the bible you CAN eat obviously have blood...as for the strangled animals would that be a part or sacrificing the animal? I'm not sure what all sacrificing an animals consists of..i always thought its slitting the throat..but i found this..."Clear scriptures record that the New Testament did abolish the need for animal sacrifices and the various rites associated with those sacrifices (Hebrews 9:9-15, 10:4).

If you were in the wild and the only way to eat was to stangle an animal I would think that would be okay....

Comment

I read that actual drinking of the blood is wrong
                    Isn't it nice to have SOME commands that are blissfully easy to follow?

Sorry for the interruption. Please continue.

Comment

I read that actual drinking of the blood is wrong but animals clearly stated in the bible you CAN eat obviously have blood...as for the strangled animals would that be a part or sacrificing the animal? I'm not sure what all sacrificing an animals consists of..i always thought its slitting the throat..but i found this..."Clear scriptures record that the New Testament did abolish the need for animal sacrifices and the various rites associated with those sacrifices (Hebrews 9:9-15, 10:4).

If you were in the wild and the only way to eat was to stangle an animal I would think that would be okay....
                      For example: can you eat raw meat? How about a fairly rare hamburger? That has blood in it and under Jewish interpretation of the same regulations, one cannot eat these.

Virtually all laws of this ilk have the exception of a life/death situation. The most orthodox of jews, for example, can dine on porkchops if starving is the only alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by crawfish View Post
                        Amen to that! We are covered by his BLOOD!
                        Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
                        http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

Comment

I am one of those that holds to the understanding that the NT has in no way deviated from the Old Torah coveant practises, and that it still is found in the NT if one reads it carefully.
                          To say the NT no longer requires the same laws of old is to imply God changes.

BTW, you said in one post that you now feel better about that BLT after reading the responses here... well all i can say about that, is that if you feel convicted or unsure you ought to go to God and ask Him to make sure you understand it the way He would want you to, and not take anyone's understanding on the matter. Including mine. Search the scriptures for yourself.

There are plenty of threads regarding that matter, and i have participated in many threads on this very topic.

The biggest mistake you can make is base your understanding on one verse alone, but rather read the whole book in context.

And no, i do not eat rabbit or pork....i used to though until i learned otherwise through the scriptures.

The ball is in your court to find the truth, and with God's help and prayers for wisdom and understanding you will be given.

Shalom,
                          Tanja
                          Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                          2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                          If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                          http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
                            To say the NT no longer requires the same laws of old is to imply God changes.
                            Not necessarily. I can also imply that God is implementing His plan in stages - from Adam to Abraham, from Abraham to Moses, from Moses to Jesus, and from Jesus to the end.

God doesn't change, but the world (and man) wasn't ready for the full disclosure of His plan.

Comment

Crawfish,

i see what you are saying and i partly agree with a plan in stages. However, everyone would agree that the Law is a picture of God's Holiness, and in essence you could say God won't expect of us something he isn't Himself.

IOW the Law is the nature of God.

So to say the Law now no longer applies is to take away from the nature of God.

The only Law i see that has changed out of necessity which is written of in the NT is the Law of Priesthood. Before in the OT the Law stated that only people from the tribe of Levi could become priests, but we all know that Yeshua was from the tribe of Judah, descendant from King David.

Shalom,
                              Tanja
                              Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                              2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                              If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                              http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X