Questions about Judaism and Jews that I don't get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Judaism and Jews that I don't get

Questions about Judaism, and its followers.

1. What is with the hats?

2. What is the thing with the little curls on the side?

3. Why are they god's chosen people? I mean, if we worship the true religion, why aren't we? (not trying to sound greedy, but I don't get it)

4. Didn't they kill Jesus? (I know the Romans killed him physically)

5. In the end, will they go to heaven, or hell?

6. Are they allies in the religion or enemy?

7. Aren't they our enemy cause I remember Jesus sayign something like (if your not with me, your against me)

8. The beanie hat things?

Read the Old Testament, then you'll understand the hats, and the ringlets.

I've not met a living Jew who "killed Jesus." Have you? If you're a white person, do you feel personally responsible for the slave trade? That was a more recent crime, yet most white people get annoyed when told they are "guilty" of the slave trade. So, next time you see a Jew, don't go "Christ killer" in your head. We're ALL Christ killers... every single one of us hates Him before He saves us, so the Jews are no worse than we are.

By the way... Jesus will have worn His hair like a modern Orthodox Jew... He was born Jewish, and one only had to look at Him to know He was a Jew... remember the Samaritan woman knew He was Jewish at first sight. Maybe His hair gave Him away? Jews wear their hair and hats that way to honour God, as it is how they interpret the Laws of Moses, which you'll find in the first five books of your Bible. Not saying one has to grow ringlets, or wear a hat... obviously not... but if someone does something to honour God... and I believe some of them genuinely do, then who are we to sneer at them? I wouldn't dare sneer at someone who is trying to serve God to the best of their knowledge... even if they don't yet know Who God is.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
      Read the Old Testament, then you'll understand the hats, and the ringlets.

I've not met a living Jew who "killed Jesus." Have you? If you're a white person, do you feel personally responsible for the slave trade? That was a more recent crime, yet most white people get annoyed when told they are "guilty" of the slave trade. So, next time you see a Jew, don't go "Christ killer" in your head. We're ALL Christ killers... every single one of us hates Him before He saves us, so the Jews are no worse than we are.

By the way... Jesus will have worn His hair like a modern Orthodox Jew... He was born Jewish, and one only had to look at Him to know He was a Jew... remember the Samaritan woman knew He was Jewish at first sight. Maybe His hair gave Him away? Jews wear their hair and hats that way to honour God, as it is how they interpret the Laws of Moses, which you'll find in the first five books of your Bible. Not saying one has to grow ringlets, or wear a hat... obviously not... but if someone does something to honour God... and I believe some of them genuinely do, then who are we to sneer at them? I wouldn't dare sneer at someone who is trying to serve God to the best of their knowledge... even if they don't yet know Who God is.
      Well, you didn't answer most of the questions, and I think you assumed I call them Christ Killers, but besides that. I never said that the individual jew did kill Christ, but wasn't it the Jews that betrayed him?

Comment

It was humanity that betrayed Him mate, he died for all humanity and not just Jews.

They are the chosen since Genesis and its not until the new covenant that Gods chosen are all those who have faith. But salvation come first for the Jew then for the Gentile (us). Those that have faith amongst the Jews have been promised a redeemer and the redemption is first for them. But God in his infinate mercy and love extended salvation to all that would trust in Him (even my disgusting self). Christ came to be a light unto the world, something that the Jews failed in their role. But all people shall bow to Him at the end of days and all who seek Him will find Him.
        "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
        -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianKnight View Post
          Well, you didn't answer most of the questions, and I think you assumed I call them Christ Killers, but besides that. I never said that the individual jew did kill Christ, but wasn't it the Jews that betrayed him?
          I didn't answer most of the questions, because the answers are in the Bible. You didn't call them "Christ Killers" - but you did adopt a tone which I found quite shocking... the idea that "they" killed Jesus got my hackles up. You don't have to call someone a particular name in order to hold them in contempt, and your post read somewhat aggressively, and also, as though you resented them for being God's chosen people.

They cover their heads as a sign of respect showing they are under the authority of God.

Orthodox Jews grow their locks long because Moses left it as a commandment... so that they would constantly remember God, there was always a physical reminder.

They are God's Chosen people because He chose them... that should be enough.

Christians are grafted onto Israel.

At the moment there is still enmity between Christians and Jews, though the wounds of seperation are healing.

In the future we will be reconciled.

We, as Christians, are to pray for the peace of Jerusalem, and are to bless Israel and the offspring of Abraham, because God commands it.

Comment

It's just tradition related to simplicity. It's like what the Amish do.

I believe it is based on this:

Leviticus 19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

3. Why are they god's chosen people? I mean, if we worship the true religion, why aren't we? (not trying to sound greedy, but I don't get it)
            God chose Israel to be his chosen but they preferred other gods so God divorced them and the covenant was ended but a new one was made in it's place that invited a new people to be God's chosen as well as any of the former who chose to accept the Messiah.

Yes.

Matthew 26:59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;

John 5:16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.

John 7:1 After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him.

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
            Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
            Acts 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
            Acts 2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
            Acts 2:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
            Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
            Acts 2:28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
            Acts 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
            Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
            Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
            Acts 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
            Acts 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
            Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
            Acts 2:35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
            Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Well, it is the same for Jews as it is for all peoples. In Christ one is saved, without Christ you are not saved.

A little of both I guess. They share many of the same beliefs regarding the OT only but the rejection of the NT makes the religion just as incorrect as any religion which does not have Christ as it's God and Saviour.

7. Aren't they our enemy cause I remember Jesus sayign something like (if your not with me, your against me)
            Well, by that definition all non Christians are enemies but I don't see Judaism as the direct enemy it was in the earlier days of Christianity.

Talmudic (non biblical) tradition.
            1Peter 3:15
            (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

I agree with pretty much all of what Naphal has said here........except for one thing.......

I don't see Judaism as the direct enemy it was in the earlier days of Christianity.
              Personally, I think it is still very much a 'direct enemy' ...........and the greatest religious threat to Christianity today................. for many, many reasons.

Peace and love in defending the Gospel of Truth,
              pinky

Comment

I dont see any unification as daughter hopes. Your either with Christ or your with something else. Whether you think this is genuinely God or not is beside the point (Muslims say they believe in the 'real' God). Not all three Semitic faiths can be true at the same time, and as a Christian i am adamant that Christ is the only way to the father.
                "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

What I mean is that in the future they will see Christ, and mourn for Him as for an only child. It is prophesied that Israel will accept Christ, and I look forward to that day.

Comment

Its prophecied that all will bow in the end of days. 'Israel' changes with the new covenant too (regardless of what some Zionists on the board think).

Comment

... Just as daughter has spoken, study will be the best answer of these questions or it might be that Fenris will choose to amnswer, he is certainly qualified to do so and I am not.

... Because God, in His wisdom, chose them, not us. But the fact that we are not His Chosen but are, instead, His Adopted Children is indeed a better position to find one's self in. In Common Law (written from the understanding of the Biblical Principals) the Natural Child, the Jew, can be disinherited. The Adopted Child, that's us, can never be denied their inheritance.
                      ... Now be careful, God has promised to never forsake His chosen, don't find yourself going there.

... Not any more so than we did. Jesus died for their sins just as He did for yours.

... Not being equal to God, I do nopt make that decision.

... It is known as the Judea Christian Bible for a very good reason. Christianity is so deeply rooted in Judaism that the first Christians were Jews. This them or us distraction has kept millions of Jewish people from being converted, possibly billions. We are the enemy of Satan, he is their enemy also.

... And millions of Jewish men and women are Messianic Jews. How many billions of us, the gentile races, are against the Christ? You don't want to just give up you brother or your sister or your uncle to Satan, do you? Why disobey God and pry for the destruction of Jerusalem?

Once more I'll suggest you study the Old Testament or ask Fenris, he's really not your enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
                        What I mean is that in the future they will see Christ, and mourn for Him as for an only child. It is prophesied that Israel will accept Christ, and I look forward to that day.
                        Well, Israel has accepted Christ....not all racial Israelites have but many have as well as many many gentiles grafted onto true Israel...but there is no prophecy I know of that says all of racial Israel will accept Jesus as the Messiah...I wish for it, but I don't believe that shall occur.
                        1Peter 3:15
                        (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
                          Well, Israel has accepted Christ....not all racial Israelites have but many have as well as many many gentiles grafted onto true Israel...but there is no prophecy I know of that says all of racial Israel will accept Jesus as the Messiah...I wish for it, but I don't believe that shall occur.
                          Yup as Paul says in Romans 11:23-24.

Comment

Are you asking about hats and then also about kippas?
                            The Kippa, or Yarmulke is the beanie thing. It is my understanding that the word Yarmulke is from two words that are something like yaru and malke (I am sure I got the spellings totally wrong) and they mean to fear, and king, so a yarmulke is worn to show fear of or respect for the Lord.

The Jews are God's chosen people because that is who He chose.
                            I personally don't worship a religion.
                            I worship God.
                            Jesus's death was all part of His plan.
                            If He did not go into the earth as the one grain and die then the many grains could not have been produced.
                            So, if He had not died, then your "true religion that you worship" would not exist.

In the end, we will all be one in Christ as part of the New Jerusalem.
                            The Lord loves all of us - both Jews and gentiles and His enemy is Satan who He has defeated and will defeat.
                            ...be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, that Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. Eph. 3:16-19

Comment

I couldn’t resist – hey fellow Christians, what's with the choir robes? What's with minister’s who wear clergy robes and/or some kind of special collar?
                              A thought about the “chosen people.” In Jewish writings I’ve read and in discussions with a Rabbi, chosen does not mean that whey were better than all other people, not alone subject to God’s special favors … they were selected by God to come under the Law and the inherent judgments of the law. A bit like, I think, Adam and Eve who lived under the Law, “thou shalt not eat of the tree of the knowledge of …” Who knows, the Creator may have simply decided it was time to again put the “created” to the test, to see if humanity had learned from the experience of being cast out of the Garden. So, the Israelites were chosen …
                              About Jews killing Jesus … Ya, sure, like Americans are killers of Muslims and Native Americans, and … I simply don’t get the logic or rational that seeks to hold a people or religious group guilty of the Death of Jesus. In fact … didn’t Jesus die for OUR sins? How can we possibly place the blame on any others?
                              Will they go to heaven or hell? Like Christians, some who profess Christ will go to hell and some will go to heaven. The God I know and serve will make allowances for those who lived and died before Jesus – how could he not?

Comment

Working...
                              X