Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Angels have free will?

So here's my dilemma?
    If God created man a little lower than the Angels, why would he create Angelic beings, with free choice, knowing that they would disobey, with no propitiation for salvation. Unlike man, whom he created, but provided a mechanism to achieve Salvation.
    Why would God offer Salvation to fallen man, but not to fallen Angels?

Thanks

tt1106

I guess my first question would be, why its assumed God created man "lower" than angels.

Comment

To answer the OP. I'm not sure if they do or don't.

To answer HisLeast
      Hebrews 2:5-8 "Now it was not to angels that God subjected the world to come, of which we are speaking. 6 It has been testified somewhere, “What is man, that you are mindful of him, or the son of man, that you care for him? 7 You made him for a little while lower than the angels; you have crowned him with glory and honor, 8 putting everything in subjection under his feet.”
      This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by tt1106 View Post
        So here's my dilemma?
        If God created man a little lower than the Angels, why would he create Angelic beings, with free choice, knowing that they would disobey, with no propitiation for salvation. Unlike man, whom he created, but provided a mechanism to achieve Salvation.

Thanks

tt1106
        Well a third of them chose to follow Lucifer, so I do think they have free will. Also, they live in a different realm than we do and get to see God every day. When they stood there and chose between Lucifer and God, that was their judgment day I think. The same way here on earth we choose to either accept Jesus's salvation or not.

Comment

So here's my dilemma?

Thanks

tt1106
          I thought they had made their choice regarding who they would serve in eternity past when they rebelled.
          I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
          - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Since we're in Bible Chat here, should we not be using Scripture to support our claims?
            To This Day

Comment

Yes Please. (15 characters)

Comment

Man created a little lower than the angels:

Psalms 8:
                3 When I consider your heavens,
                the work of your fingers,
                the moon and the stars,
                which you have set in place,

4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
                the son of man that you care for him?

5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
                and crowned him with glory and honor.

In Christ,
                Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffinator View Post
                  Well a third of them chose to follow Lucifer, so I do think they have free will. Also, they live in a different realm than we do and get to see God every day. When they stood there and chose between Lucifer and God, that was their judgment day I think. The same way here on earth we choose to either accept Jesus's salvation or not.
                  From what it says in Jude, those angels will be judged when Satan is judged.

Jude 1

6 And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,

I think that those angels that choose to follow Satan have already been sealed as to their fate the same was Satan has been sealed for the lake of fire.
                  I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                  Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Let me lay this out and then you can see where I'm coming from.
                    Man was not perfect in the Garden of Eden. Man must have had the ability to choose to sin, and Man chose it. Man was in the presence of the Lord in the Garden.
                    Man, after death, is perfected and kept perfect in the presence of the Lord.
                    So God will keep us perfected, without the ability to choose to sin.
                    Angels, were in the presence of the Lord, They chose evil and were cast out.
                    There are still angels in Heaven, are they perfected? As in without the ability to choose to sin. Do Angels still fall? Does it say in the Bible that Angels don't fall?

Comment

Let me lay this out and then you can see where I'm coming from.
                      Man was not perfect in the Garden of Eden. Man must have had the ability to choose to sin, and Man chose it. Man was in the presence of the Lord in the Garden.
                      Man, after death, is perfected and kept perfect in the presence of the Lord.
                      So God will keep us perfected, without the ability to choose to sin.
                      Angels, were in the presence of the Lord, They chose evil and were cast out.
                      There are still angels in Heaven, are they perfected? As in without the ability to choose to sin. Do Angels still fall? Does it say in the Bible that Angels don't fall?
                      Trying to compare angel to man is like comparing pizza to apple pie. We were each created different for God's purpose.

Man was created for trouble.

Job 5

7 For man is born for trouble, As sparks fly upward.

We were made to need a savior, whereas I have not found anything in the bible that say angels were.
                      I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                      Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

So here's my dilemma?

Thanks

tt1106
                        I don't know the full answer. But a partial answer is this... angels are meant to be servants. If all God wanted was servants, he would have made more angels. But Adam, from the beginning was designed to eat of the Tree of Life. Just as Eve was the first life made from life, so we too were designed with the idea of sharing God's uncreated life. Our life is made from Life. This is the purpose of human beings. The angels look and wonder at salvation. When Adam sinned, God's plan and purpose for Adam and mankind didn't change. It was still to sanctify him, share his life with him, and for the two to become one in a marriage relationship. That purpose far exceeds the purpose God had for angels, IMO.
                        Matt 9:13
                        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                        NASU

Comment

Thank You. I guess I'm having trouble understanding why God would create servants with free will?

Comment

I believe angels have free will. They (the holy angels) always choose what is good. The holy angels always do God's will.

Comment

Originally posted by nzyr View Post
                              I believe angels have free will. They (the holy angels) always choose what is good. The holy angels always do God's will.
                              Right! Who wouldn't, being in His glorious presence continuously?

God created us, however, for relationship, as His precious children, so He could extend His great love and mercy as well as favour, as a Dad. God is all about family!

Hebrews 2:10-12
                              10 God, for whom and through whom everything was made, chose to bring many children into glory. And it was only right that he should make Jesus, through his suffering, a perfect leader, fit to bring them into their salvation. 11 So now Jesus and the ones he makes holy have the same Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them his brothers and sisters. 12 For he said to God,
                              “I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters.
                              I will praise you among your assembled people.”

Comment

Working...
                              X