Good study bible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good study bible?

I've been wanting to get opinions on a good study bible.

I've done daily bible readings with the NIV (on my second year) and plan on doing the NLT next year, but I also want to get some recommendations for an actual study bible that has plenty of information about the Word.

Would you be so kind to help?

KJV Bible Commentary

John Wesley's Notes on E-sword

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

NKJV Study Bible (Nelson) and the Life Application Bible in your favorite version are good ones IMO. Life Application comes in KJV, NKJV, NLT, NIV, and NASB. I can't remember it in other versions, but they may be out there. These are the two study bibles I reach for when I am ready to dig in.

Comment

(English Translations listed by Translation Availability/Title/Publisher)

Orthodox/Evangelical Protestant?:

NIV - NIV Study Bible by Zondervan
        NASB - NASB Study Bible by Zondervan
        NKJV - Open Bible (Nelson)
        NIV/NAS/NKJV/KJV - Thompson Chain Reference Study Bible (Kirkbride)

Evangelical/Dispensational?:

KJV - Scofield Reference Edition Study Bible (Oxford)
        KJV/NKJV/NIV/NASB - New Scofield Reference Edition Study Bible (Oxford)
        ESV - New Scofield Study Bible III (Oxford)
        NKJV - New NKJV Study Bible (Nelson - Edited by Earl Radmacher)
        NASB - Ryrie Study Bible (Moody Press)

I either own/or have owned many of these. All have extensive study helps and footnotes. Hard Covers cost around $40, Leather Bound start around $60

Comment

Originally posted by IBWatching View Post

Orthodox/Evangelical Protestant?:

Evangelical/Dispensational?:
          What's the difference?

Comment

I use the New Living Translation Life Application Study Bible. It's very easy to read so that the meaning of the verses is always crystal clear, and it has excellent commentary, charts, character profiles, etc.

Comment

For the longest, I used a Thompson Chain KJV...very good bible, and a Hebrew Greek Key Word Study bible.

I just found a KJV Open Bible and I LOVE IT!!! This study bible has been on the market so long I can't imagine how I missed it all of these years. It has a sweet cyclopedic index at the front, thorough outlines and introductions that are WAY more helpful than my Thompson's and it still manages not to be to loaded with commentary. The commentary at the bottom of a few of the pages are more geared toward new believers rather than swaying you to believe a specific doctrine. It comes in NASB and NKJV. It's hard to find a regular size KJV, but the large print one is easy to spot.

Let me know what you think!

Comment

Originally posted by GraftedIn View Post
                For the longest, I used a Thompson Chain KJV...very good bible, and a Hebrew Greek Key Word Study bible.

I just found a KJV Open Bible and I LOVE IT!!! This study bible has been on the market so long I can't imagine how I missed it all of these years. It has a sweet cyclopedic index at the front, thorough outlines and introductions that are WAY more helpful than my Thompson's and it still manages not to be to loaded with commentary. The commentary at the bottom of a few of the pages are more geared toward new believers rather than swaying you to believe a specific doctrine. It comes in NASB and NKJV. It's hard to find a regular size KJV, but the large print one is easy to spot.

Let me know what you think!

My daddy gave me his KJV Open study bible at least 20 years ago. I agree it is a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by FoG View Post
                  My daddy gave me his KJV Open study bible at least 20 years ago. I agree it is a good one.

Your dad is a GREAT man and deserves many -->s. I wish someone would have taken me under the wing...would have saved me thousands of dollars. I spent so much money on study bibles, only to settle down with parallel bibles and study bibles with VERY limited commentary. I wish someone had bought me an Open Bible and a set of commentaries long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GraftedIn View Post
                    Your dad is a GREAT man and deserves many -->s. I wish someone would have taken me under the wing...would have saved me thousands of dollars. I spent so much money on study bibles, only to settle down with parallel bibles and study bibles with VERY limited commentary. I wish someone had bought me an Open Bible and a set of commentaries long ago.

Yes he is, and the Bibles he has given me are so precious to me! Now some of them look like they are about to fall all to pieces, but that makes them even better.

Comment

the NASB of course in your favorite flavor! The open Bibles are good too!
                      I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Good study Bible? It looks like your rec’d several good recommendations. My counsel would be, don’t limit yourself to only a couple of translations, comparison is good (even necessary). There are several parallel Bibles available that make comparisons easier. I’ve used many different translations to nourish my spirit and am now exploring “The Message.” I’m not sure how well it is received by others, but it is thought provoking. You might ask, Why compare? The simple truth is that each translation was done for a purpose by people who felt that existing translations were perhaps “not quite right” in some way or another, that they, following their inspiration could clarify things a little bit better, could somehow better explain or say “it” better in the current vernacular. One last thought … I think that any translation, prayerfully read with a mind open to Spirit’s guidance can and will reveal the Lord and draw us into a deeper relationship with the Lord of our salvation. The Spirit, not the book itself, will teach us.

Comment

Although it's not out till later this year, the ESV Study Bible looks like becoming one of the best ever. I also recommend the MacArthur Study Bible (NKJV or NASB, depending on your preference).

Comment

Originally posted by mfowler12 View Post
                            What's the difference?
                            The second has a strong Dispensationalist emphasis ie it will stress a pre-tribulational rapture and will have a very particular slant on prophetic passages that many evangelical Protestants disagree with - I would stick with the Orthodox/Evangelical Protestant if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by mfowler12 View Post
                              I've been wanting to get opinions on a good study bible.

I've done daily bible readings with the NIV (on my second year) and plan on doing the NLT next year, but I also want to get some recommendations for an actual study bible that has plenty of information about the Word.

Would you be so kind to help?
                              I believe a few have mentioned the NKJV Nelson. This is a good one - and the one I use the most these days.

I used to have a Life application NIV - and I found it to have rather watered down commentary to be honest. Also, was rather slanted, and interpretive, rather than informative if that makes sense. It was ok for me for a bit when I was a new believer, but over time, I got to where I wanted to dig in a bit more, and I switched.

Though I certainly do not limit myself - I have several other study bibles in the house, and also PC Study bible by biblesoft is good for some more detailed study - preparing for sermon, etc.

Be Blessed!

Comment

Working...
                              X