Holy spirit question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy spirit question?

Where in the bible does it say that the Holy spirit will always be a gentleman. I have been watching some stuff on youtube that is claiming to be of the spirit but I have a problem with the violence. I am looking for scriputre on how the spirit will act
    ὁ ̓Ιησοῦς κύριος

I don't know that you'll find it say that exactly, but maybe this will help...

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
    Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
    Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

A list of what would grieve the spirit versus how you should act. Now I think there's room for passion against sin (Jesus expelling the money changers and sellers from the temple for example) but not violence as you suggest you're seeing.
    yours in, of and by Christ, Christopher
    and a little child shall lead them. Isaiah 11:6

Comment

Originally posted by Jollyrogers View Post
      Where in the bible does it say that the Holy spirit will always be a gentleman. I have been watching some stuff on youtube that is claiming to be of the spirit but I have a problem with the violence. I am looking for scriputre on how the spirit will act
      I'm not sure what you are watching, but the evidence that one is filled or guided by the Holy Spirit is in the fruit that one bears under His conviction, counsel, guidance, and leadership.

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Galatians 5:22-23

Is what you are watching an example of His drawing people to the likeness of Christ?

By the way, I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes.

I'll leave you with a couple of my favorite quotes of theirs.

.................................................. ...............................................

"It's pyschosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get the saw."

"What's the point of wearing rocket ship underwear if no one asks to see them?"

Calvin: "Hobbes, I was thinking....."
      Hobbes: "On a weekend?!?!?!?"
      Calvin: "Trust me, it wasn't on purpose."
      sigpic
      ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Ugh... so many messengers out there claiming to be "of the spirit". The wave the words around like its got some magic voodoo power to make it true. I've learned to translate it as "I feel very strongly about this" and leave it at that. As for what is genuinely "of the spirit"... I guess I look for guidance from those who have the knack for discernment.

Comment

I am studying the Holy spirit in responce to this Lakeland deal. This board has made a decision that they do not want open discussions of this on here so I am not looking for that. I am looking for scriptures that tells how the holy spirit will aproach us, act, glorify, and what fruits he will show. I know some but I need scripture refrences

I love Calvin too. You have this website (Calvin & Hobbs related)

http://www.marcellosendos.ch/comics/ch/index.html
          ὁ ̓Ιησοῦς κύριος

Comment

Here's some scripture pertaining to the purposes of the Holy Spirit.

http://www.truthandgrace.com/Spirit.htm

.................................................. ................

"If you convince me, and I convince you....won't there still be two points of view? - Vachel Lindsey
            sigpic
            ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

That saying is derived from 1 Corinthians 14..

1Co 14:32-33 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

By the Spirit being subject to the prophets, it is saying that the Holy Spirit will not "make" someone do something that they canot control as control was obviously a problem at Corinth.
              For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

I suppose people over the years have formed the saying that the Holy Spirit is a gentlement from what Paul told the Church at Corinth, "Let all things be done decently and in order." (1 Corinthians 14:40)

As we read through the Bible and especially over in the NT especially during Jesus's earthly ministry and throughout the book of Acts, we find that all of the acts of the Holy Spirit done through Jesus, His Apostles, the Apostle Paul and His co-laborers, and when we find the rest of the Church ministring through the Holy Spirit was ordered and with the sole purpose of revealing Jesus to the lost to bring glory to our dear precious Savior.

The Holy Spirit is a gentleman in that we never see Him taking control of someone's mind and body making them act any differently than they would have in their right mind.

Shirley

Comment

Here is Jesus talking about the Holy Spirit:

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Jesus saith unto him,
                  Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

If ye love me, keep my commandments.

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

Jesus answered and said unto him,
                  If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

-John chapter 14

Comment

This is my OPINION. The Holy Spirit will never act contrary to what you know of the Lord Jesus and the Father. Something to think on.
                    The Holy Spirit also guides into all truth, He doesn't speak on His own initiative, but He will speak and disclose what is to come. He will glorify the Lord Jesus. He also is the Helper, and convicts the world (not believers) concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.
                    John 16 8-15
                    I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Originally posted by My heart's Desire View Post
                      This is my OPINION. The Holy Spirit will never act contrary to what you know of the Lord Jesus and the Father. Something to think on.
                      The Holy Spirit also guides into all truth, He doesn't speak on His own initiative, but He will speak and disclose what is to come. He will glorify the Lord Jesus. He also is the Helper, and convicts the world (not believers) concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.
                      John 16 8-15
                      But aren't believers convicted of the sin that remains by the Spirit (esp under the preaching of the word) as part of putting to death the flesh (mortification) and putting on Christ (sanctification)?

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                        But aren't believers convicted of the sin that remains by the Spirit (esp under the preaching of the word) as part of putting to death the flesh (mortification) and putting on Christ (sanctification)?
                        Yes, 9Marksfan but in this particuliar verse, I believe this is what the Spirit does as He woes the unbeliever. Are we the World? It is said that we are in the world but not of it. Yes, of course, the Holy Spirit will still convict sin wherever it is found. And as far as judgement, I as a Christian have already been judged and justified at the Cross. Regardless, without my comments the verse still applies to the character or work of the Holy Spirit, which was my point. The verse itself said the world, I didn't. Wow! another good subject. The world as related to the Christian!

Comment

Yes, 9Marksfan but in this particuliar verse, I believe this is what the Spirit does as He woes the unbeliever. Are we the World? It is said that we are in the world but not of it. Yes, of course, the Holy Spirit will still convict sin wherever it is found. And as far as judgement, I as a Christian have already been judged and justified at the Cross. Regardless, without my comments the verse still applies to the character or work of the Holy Spirit, which was my point. The verse itself said the world, I didn't. Wow! another good subject. The world as related to the Christian!
                          Of course it is speaking of the Spirit's convicting ministry towards unbelievers - but your post implied that he doesn't have a ministry of that sort with believers.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                            Of course it is speaking of the Spirit's convicting ministry towards unbelievers - but your post implied that he doesn't have a ministry of that sort with believers.
                            No, it said world so I implied that it spoke of the world and those who don't believe in Him, unbelievers, which it says in verse 9. Sorry about that. I'm just too used to reading Scripture in Context. And in this context I believe it to be to the world and unbelievers. Their sin, because they don't believe in Him, Righteousness because Jesus is leaving and their judgement because they are of the world and the ruler of this world has already been judged. Regardless, it shows the work of the Holy Spirit.

Comment

No, it said world so I implied that it spoke of the world and those who don't believe in Him, unbelievers, which it says in verse 9. Sorry about that. I'm just too used to reading Scripture in Context. And in this context I believe it to be to the world and unbelievers.
                              Agreed.

Their sin, because they don't believe in Him,
                              Partly true - but they were sinners before they heard of him - right? And they will die in their SINS if they don't repent, right?

Righteousness because Jesus is leaving
                              I'd always thought that was in contrast to their sin - God's perfect righteousness - His holy character - which they wholesale LACK but which they NEED if they are to be right with God (guess who can give it to them?!?)

and their judgement because they are of the world and the ruler of this world has already been judged.
                              Hmm - I'd always understood it to mean that THEIR judgement is coming - unless they repent!

Regardless, it shows the work of the Holy Spirit.
                              Of course - but I'm struggling to follow your understanding of what exactly that work is......

Comment

Working...
                              X